BluRay Player preference

macgruuber

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
Don't know if this is the right forum, but here goes. Recently I read that a fellow CAG has both a Blu Ray player and a PS3, so he does not put extra stress on the PS3. I kinda liked the idea and wanted to know if you CAGs had any suggestions for Blu Ray players.

Not really looking to do anything else other than play blus and [upscale] DVDs (no interest in internet features).

Last edited by a moderator:
I use my region free Insigna. Don't have a PS3 cause I have a stand alone player.

It does Netflix, Vudu, and Cinema Now as well.

I use the Oppo BDP-93 for living room and Panasonic DMP BDT350 in bedroom and sony goodle tv blu ray player in office. Going to move the BDP-93 to the bedroom once I upgrade to the BDP-103

Have the same one as Danil ACE (like OP, to also to put less strain on the PS3). Been liking it alot and recommended!

Been using my PS3 as Blu player.. didn't see that much of a stress just constant reading from beginning till end.

But, playing GAMES is even more stress on PS3 especially some titles do not install themselves on the hard drive but plays directly from the disc.

Sony BDP-S590.

Had an S350 before and upgraded for faster load times and Internet apps as I was tired of the PS3 or 360 fan noise when streaming things. Also rarely used the ps3 for any video stuff since it made no sense to buy an adapter to use my Harmony remote (hate using a controller) when I had a standalone BR player years before getting a PS3 and could stream stuff on my 360 which worked with the remote.

Anyway, the 590 Was under $100 and works great so I'm completely happy with it.

I think the point is to find a rock solid cheap disc based player in leiu of ps3 drive wear. Barebone ones are about $40-60 retail. I'd find one with a usb slot accepting various file formats (cinavia protection free) if possible.

I would just use your PS3 and buy a new one if you need to right before PS3 is off the market. People were able to pick up PS2's in 2011 and 2012 brand new from stores for as low as $50, sometimes with a game.

With PS3 currently at a higher price point than PS2 it it's life cycle, with many internet features, and PS4 not being backwards compatible; PS3 should last a few years longer than PS2 did after the launch of it's successor. So we're looking at PS2 2000-2011 (when you could more easily find it in stock), and PS3 2006-2017 at least.

Games stress PS3 more and it could die from anything before the optical drive goes. That way you got one that will last even many years longer than your current regardless of how many movies you watch on the current.

Do note that PS3s use up anywhere from 3x to 5x more energy to play Blu-ray movies than stand-alone Blu-ray players.

I have the older Panasonic BDT210 and have no doubt that the BDT220 will serve you very well, especially considering how cheap they are now.

When my launch 60gb PS3 finally gave up the ghost last year, I searched for a good replacement blu ray player that would not cost more than a new PS3 would anyway. I went through Amazon's top rated blu ray players, owning (and returning) the LG BD670, Panasonic BD75, and finally the Samsung D5500. All of them had various problems refusing to play certain discs (Rise of the Planet of the Apes was a particular problem for the LG and the Panasonic...and it was a brand new disc), having issues with BD Live, being terrible at media streaming, etc. Even adding a 2gb thumb drive to these machines didn't help.

Eventually, my wife got fed up with wasting time on slow players that would glitch and freeze when we were trying to relax for the evening. She implored me to buy another PS3 since the old PS3 never had any of these issues. That alone should tell you something. When your wife is begging you to buy a new gaming console because it plays movies and media better than anything else on the market, that says a lot. A few weeks later, I picked up a 160gb slim PS3 for $130...and we haven't had a single problem since. So, in my opinion, the convenience and compatibility of the PS3 is easily worth any extra cost.

Thanks for the input guys. The thing is the PS3 I have right now it the 80GB Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle. And I have been hearing the fan get up in speed when watching movies (DVDs and Blu). As a precaution I wanted to get a BluRay player, as I intend to get another PS3 soon anyway (hoping for the slim, but its not been easy).

[quote name='macgruuber']Thanks for the input guys. The thing is the PS3 I have right now it the 80GB Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle. And I have been hearing the fan get up in speed when watching movies (DVDs and Blu). As a precaution I wanted to get a BluRay player, as I intend to get another PS3 soon anyway (hoping for the slim, but its not been easy).[/QUOTE]

Keep an eye on Cowboom.com for PS3 slims. They do console fire sales all the time (that's where I got my slim). They're owned by BestBuy, so it's not some tiny reseller or anything. It's kind of like Amazon Warehouse deals (lots of customer returns or open box items), but they're usually even cheaper and mostly in great condition (my slim was perfect...just without retail box). Here's the CAG thread to help keep up with their deals if you're interested.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326795

[quote name='Sammie2980']I use the Oppo BDP-93 for living room and Panasonic DMP BDT350 in bedroom and sony goodle tv blu ray player in office. Going to move the BDP-93 to the bedroom once I upgrade to the BDP-103[/QUOTE]

What are the advantages of a player like the BDP-103 over a cheaper player like the BDT-2230? I did some searching online, and it sounds like the PQ is identical, with the main advantages being build quality and better streaming capabilities. Is that basically it, or am I missing something?

[quote name='Danil ACE']What are the advantages of a player like the BDP-103 over a cheaper player like the BDT-2230? I did some searching online, and it sounds like the PQ is identical, with the main advantages being build quality and better streaming capabilities. Is that basically it, or am I missing something?[/QUOTE]
- The Oppo has a better scaler, SACD and DVD-Audio compatibility and has more audio/video output options. If you don't have a high end audio and video system and only use basic features, the Oppo wouldn't benefit you as much.

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/

I dunno what model number it is, but I got a cheap Panasonic one from Costco a few years ago. Has no WiFi or any apps but I haven't had any problems playing movies.

I have the Sony BX-57/BDP570 (which is now the 590). It's a bit slow in loading discs relative to newer players but it does put out a great picture. It's hooked up to my home theatre. I only use the PS3 for convenience if I don't feel like going into the basement to watch a movie.

Next time I upgrade, I will definitely be looking at something that can load the discs faster if possible.

I only have a PS3 Slim (120 GB). Years ago, I had a yellow light while playing Tomb Raider 3 on disc and it made a weird sound and a warning appeared on screen. I turned it off and let it cool. Since then, I've never had a problem at all with it playing any kind of disc, blu ray or otherwise.

I am curious to know what you guys think of portable Blu Ray players. I thought of getting one for my netbook or purchasing a unit with a screen so I can trade my netbook in towards a tablet.

I needed a dual HDMI setup and picked up the Sony 790 and love it. Bit pricey compared to the 590 but very fast and has all the Roku like apps and I can play stuff off my PC or put a thumbdrive in it and play MKVs.

I have the Onkyo HT-S5400 theater system, and the BDP S-580. I had a Panasonic 3d player (just to get Avatar 3d) but ended up giving it away and getting the Sony because the picture quality on the Panasonic wasn't as good; lacked a lot of the "thereness" I get with the Sony.

[quote name='Mahgin86']I have the Onkyo HT-S5400 theater system, and the BDP S-580. I had a Panasonic 3d player (just to get Avatar 3d) but ended up giving it away and getting the Sony because the picture quality on the Panasonic wasn't as good; lacked a lot of the "thereness" I get with the Sony.[/QUOTE]

I can't speak of Panasonic blu ray players (because I never had one), but I can say that there was a discernible drop between a Toshiba that I had bought, subsequently returned, and the Sony that I ended up with (both in the similar price/model ranges). Sony gave a much 'crisper' picture.

I'd also throw Pioneer's into the mix as well, I've had very good luck with their products as well.

bread's done
Back