Book-Off in NYC now buying/selling used import and domestic games

blueshinra

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
I don't know if this interests anyone else, but recently I went to Book-Off (a used book/CD/DVD store located here, if you've never been there) to browse and noticed a sign by the cash register - they're looking to buy used console games!

Looks like we'll be getting another alternative for buying used games at retail. I hope they'll carry used imports as well.

ETA: Figured it was about time to change the title ;P

ETA (04/20/10): The store has moved! Book-Off is now in a bigger space at 49 W 45th Street, between 5th and 6th Avenues (and only a block away from Asahiya's old space, ironically enough). With the bigger space comes a bigger selection overall (though the Japanese CD and DVD sections feel roughly the same size), and there's now placards up in the games section with trade-in values for certain titles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't see a single system when I went yesterday. And everything did go back up in price. Since DS3s are $25 it's an okay deal, though I'm peeved that the PS2 extension cables are $5 really?

Here are this month's values:

Resident Evil 6 (PS3/360) - $38
Persona 4 Arena (PS3/360) - $38
XCOM: Enemy Unknown (PS3/360) - $38
Risen 2 (PS3/360) - $38

Just Dance 4 (Wii) - $24
Pokepark 2 (Wii) - $31
Mario Party 9 (Wii) - $31
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (Vita) - $21

Mario Tennis Open (3DS) - $24
New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS) - $24
Kingdom Hearts 3D DDD (3DS) - $24
Metal Gear Solid: HD Collection (Vita) - $24

[quote name='whitereflection']Here are this month's values:

Resident Evil 6 (PS3/360) - $38
Persona 4 Arena (PS3/360) - $38
XCOM: Enemy Unknown (PS3/360) - $38
Risen 2 (PS3/360) - $38

Just Dance 4 (Wii) - $24
Pokepark 2 (Wii) - $31
Mario Party 9 (Wii) - $31
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (Vita) - $21

Mario Tennis Open (3DS) - $24
New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS) - $24
Kingdom Hearts 3D DDD (3DS) - $24
Metal Gear Solid: HD Collection (Vita) - $24[/QUOTE]

thanks, with bestbuy gamers coupon of the kingdom hearts 3d discount, it might make a good flip, lol

Not much change with the list, though they offer an extra $10? I think?
They decided to put the cart games in the glass cases, it is odd but I haven't seen systems dispayed in a while. What's up with that?

[quote name='maxiell']Anybody know the December values?[/QUOTE]

Late response, but there are none. The promotion is a joke: trade 3 games, get an extra $5. Last month it was $10.

There is a holiday sale going on now where you save 10% if you spend $10, but it excludes video games.

They brought back the values for January.

They didn't have a flyer and I didn't have a camera, but the notable ones/TIVs I can remember were

Assassin's Creed 3 $33
Black Ops II $38
New Super Mario Bros 2 $24
Resident Evil 6 $26
Mario Tennis Open $24

New Super Mario Bros U was in the thirties as well, possibly $38. There were several other Wii U games as well.

I went today for the heck of it, and they had a sign selling off their systems for pretty cheap compared to Gamestop. It's $29 for a PS2 fat, a little more for a Slim, $30 for an SNES, $30 for a GBA SP. They also wrote $30 for a Sega Saturn, but all they had was a Dreamcast :(.

Went yesterday and was pleasantly surprised at what I found, but angry with myself that I didn't have enough money to buy anything because I had to go to Video Games New York.  I found a Legend of Dragoon complete for $25, I later looked it up, and it seems Bookoff priced the game accordingly.  As I left I saw two Nintendo consoles, boxed. Sure they were Japanese but they were priced reasonably enough that I'm having dreams about wanting them.

It's funny how they price Speed Racer the complete boxset, when I bought myself a copy for $5 last year.

Went today, they moved the video game section again, this time to the middle. Saw a few Super Famicom games, including Mario Kart for $15. The glass case was moved too and I saw Super Castlevania IV (SNES) boxed for $40(?)

Sale is on this weekend, 20% off cds and dvds, buy 5 $1 items get $2 off.

Went again today and they were having a 10% of $10, 15% off $15, and 20% off $20. Excludes all electronics inc. video games. It was hilarious to see that they were asking $65 for a Game Gear. I did see some Taiko Drum Master controllers for the PS2, $15.

I snagged a Shin Megami Tensei IV Perfect Guide (Japanese) for about $12.

Saw Secret of Mana for $60, when I came back it was gone. They also had Dracula X for the SNES for $120.

Found a few old guides marked low enough for me to bite. Only game I got was Mario Golf for the GBA at $5.50.

Finally bought something. Two PS2 games that I've been eyeing for my collection on eBay. Yakuza 2 and a SRW game. Sure they're both Japanese, but I couldn't beat the prices.

Huh, this store is a block away from where I work.  Never noticed they had SNES and old retro games.  Will have to take a look again.

bread's done
Back