Books on video game history?

billg

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
So I was stuck in a Borders the other day, and I had no idea what I wanted to read to pass the time. I soon decided that it would be fun to read a book on the history of videogames. I couldn't find anything like that though, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any books out there like that.

The best video game historian, though, is probably Leonard Herman and his book Phoenix: The Fall and Rise of Videogames. Problem is, the latest edition (3rd) is sold out, and has been for awhile. Maybe ebay?

Also, on that same site (RolentaPress.com) you'll find books by Ralph Baer (Videogames: In the Beginning) and Bill Kunkel (Confessions of the Game Doctor). If I need to tell you who those two are, you really do need to study your videogame history!

Edit: Gah! Beaten by HumanSnatcher! Oh well, my recommendations stand.

One of my favorites is Game Over: Press Start to Continue, which details the history of Nintendo. Opening the Xbox isn't bad either, and there's also Power Up: How Japanese Video Games Gave the World an Extra Life by Chris Kohler, who has a great sense of humor, but it's obvious he prefers Japanese games to American ones.

If you like poetry, check out Blue Wizard is About to Die, which is prolly the most unusual book on video games I've ever read.

I'll give a second recommendation to "Game Over" It's a fascinating book. It also has some details about the Atari crash, and a very detailed section on the Tetris fiasco. Recent copies are updated to the launch of the GameCube (I think...It's been a while).

If you are at all interested in the history of Nintendo, you MUST get this book.

bread's done
Back