Books that changed your life.

I don't know about changing my life, but I went through a real Kerouac tear a couple of years ago, read all his books. I just sat in the woods and meditated and read, it was peaceful and I feel like a came to some self-realizations that have impacted me to this day for sure.

[quote name='ajumbaje']Bible, nuff said[/QUOTE]
+1, It's a manual on how to be a Human and if followed correctly, makes life easier and happier.

[quote name='gregthomas77']The Bible

It has changed all of our lives[/QUOTE]

I have to argue against that. If someone's never read it, it hasn't changed their life. If it caused some change before their life (which I'll admit it has), that still hasn't changed someone's life, it's changed the circumstances leading to their life.

Reading the bible is what converted me into an atheist. :) There is so much barbaric and mystical nonsense, I don't see how anyone can possibly believe it. Seriously folks.. I challenge you to read it WITHOUT the presupposition that it was written by the creator of the universe. Assume it is a regular book...Pick it up, close your eyes, open to a random page, and tell me if you think those words were written by the creator of 300 billion galaxies. Last time I tried this, I landed on the story of Balaam and his talking donkey..

21l0275.jpg

Two books written by former Disney executives.

Creating Magic: 10 Commonsense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney - Lee Cockerell. It helps examine the best ways to motivate others around you to do their very best in service and looks at how problems area created through mis-communication.

Spinning Disney's World: Memories of a Magic Kingdom Press Agent - Charles Ridgway. He got a degree in Journalism (the same field I majored in) and has been present in some way for the opening of every Disney theme park from the 1955 opening day of Disneyland to the 2005 opening of Hong Kong Disneyland. It was this book that was able to show me what I could do with my degree that didn't necessarily involve getting a "traditional" job with a news organization. Not only are some of his stories hilarious, but it also emphasizes how important networking and providing a clear message are.

[quote name='Illini Jeeper']Two books written by former Disney executives.

Creating Magic: 10 Commonsense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney - Lee Cockerell. It helps examine the best ways to motivate others around you to do their very best in service and looks at how problems area created through mis-communication.

Spinning Disney's World: Memories of a Magic Kingdom Press Agent - Charles Ridgway. He got a degree in Journalism (the same field I majored in) and has been present in some way for the opening of every Disney theme park from the 1955 opening day of Disneyland to the 2005 opening of Hong Kong Disneyland. It was this book that was able to show me what I could do with my degree that didn't necessarily involve getting a "traditional" job with a news organization. Not only are some of his stories hilarious, but it also emphasizes how important networking and providing a clear message are.[/QUOTE]

Ha, you ought to read DisneyWar by James B. Stewart

[quote name='Sporadic']Ha, you ought to read DisneyWar by James B. Stewart[/QUOTE]

It's on my bookshelf. It was interesting to see how Michael Eisner started to lose it after the death of Frank Wells. I can't help but imagine the company would have been much different (in a good way) if Wells was still alive.

Also interesting to see how the relationship with Steven Spielberg, Jeff Katzenberg and the company destroyed itself.

I never understood why people like that book. I thought Holden was a jackass - stubborn and pitiful.

Love a lot of John Steinbeck's stuff: Cannery Row (keeping life simple, being content with what you have), The Winter of Our Discontent (to never stoop to the levels of the characters in the book - cheat, betrayal), Grapes of Wrath (never finished the book and wasn't that interested in the main story but chapter 5 is kind of stuck in my head - "The bank is something more than men, I tell you. It's the monster. Men made it, but they can't control it.").

Les Miserables - I read this after watching the movie, but I love the tale of redemption. That we are capable of changing ourselves for the better.

^ You should read Hunchback of Notre Dame. It's just as good.

I'm probably going to get a copy of The Man Who Laughs if I can find one cheap. It would be nice to have a Kindle (or compatible device) because it's free on Amazon.

Patrick Susskind's "Perfume"
what a book i should say... :cold:

---------------

free gay chat online

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tfro']I'm going to have to say, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho[/QUOTE]

I loved the ending about where the treasure was located. Very deep book.

Makes Me Wanna Holler by Nathan McCall gave me a perspective on what gang life is like in the mind of a 10 year old and a 30+ year old. He does defend himself from committing dehumanizing crimes (such as a "sex train" with an underaged girl), but he takes responsibility for it. It is disturbing to see that a life born into poverty eventually leads to crime, which eventually leads to the total destruction of a community.

bread's done
Back