Books that you would like to see turned into a movie

Perks of Being A Wallflower. Because I have put off reading it for years, even though I want to.

I don't know what else, I think the Magic: The Gathering universe would be ripe for adaptation particularly the story of Urza and Mishra. Also, not exactly a book, but the Twisted Metal games would be a good set of movies.

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman
Magic Time Trilogy by Marc Scott Zicree
Xanth Series by Piers Anthony
Conrad's Time Machine by Leo Frankowski

The Darwin Awards would be interesting, just a 2 hour long movie with shorts of people dying rather stupidly.

[quote name='sonderiaom']The Darwin Awards would be interesting, just a 2 hour long movie with shorts of people dying rather stupidly.[/quote]

They allready have ones like that, they're called shockumentaries

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']They allready have ones like that, they're called shockumentaries[/quote]

Hmmm, scratch that thought then; I didn't think the thought entirely through. I'm not one to enjoy snuff films.

For a long time I have been hoping for something based on the main 3 books of the dragonlance series by Hickman & Weis. I met them a few times at cons over the years and they were always willing to discuss current talks/plans for a movie or series. I always felt a series would do the most justice, but was willing to settle for a movie.

Well to those who haven't heard the movie is set for release the end of 2007. It's going to be animated. Here is the cast for voices.

Tanis Half-Elven
Michael Rosenbaum

Raistlin Majere
Kiefer Sutherland

Goldmoon
Lucy Lawless

Flint Fireforge / Fewmaster Toede
Fred Tatasciore

Tika Waylan
Michelle Trachtenberg

Caramon Majere
Rino Romano

Tasslehoff Burrfoot
Jason Marsden

Fizban The Fabulous
Neil Ross

Sturm Brightblade
Mark Worden

Riverwind & Gilthanas
Phil Lamarr

[quote name='sonderiaom']Hmmm, scratch that thought then; I didn't think the thought entirely through. I'm not one to enjoy snuff films.[/quote]
Actually, a snuff film is the act of filming the murder of someone while having sex, pretty much. Honestly, I hate it when people call stuff like Faces of Death and Traces of Death snuff films, because they don't show sexual acts and the resulting death.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']Actually, a snuff film is the act of filming the murder of someone while having sex, pretty much. Honestly, I hate it when people call stuff like Faces of Death and Traces of Death snuff films, because they don't show sexual acts and the resulting death.[/quote]

My bad, seems I'm not up on my alternative film vocabulary.

Back on topic, I wish they would do the actual trilogy of Hitchikers Guide to The Galaxy. I know that the script for the film was created by Douglas Adams, but it just wasn't the same as the books.

[quote name='dopa345']Ender's Game - As long as they don't cop out and make the characters in the movie older than they are in the book.[/quote]

I want enders game now.

Any Chuck Palahniuk book. Fight Club turned out awesome so why can't we have another one?

Airframe by Michael Crichton. It was planned and in pre-production at one point but then they "shelved" it. Hopefully that means we'll eventually see it but at this point I'm not holding my breath.

My vote is for the classic Roger Zelanzy series The Chronicles of Amber. There have been some rumors of making a movie for some time (at one time, the guy who wrote the Battlefield:Earth screenplay was supposed to be writing it, but I seriously hope that was just a 'rumor'.)

I know they were set to begin filming one of my favorite classic series being made into a movie. This from the creator of Tarzan, Edgar Rice Burroughs, and is his Martian Chronicles with John Carter. Specifically, the first book, A Princess of Mars. I remember back in middle school when I discovered these novels and fell in love with ERB's Mars. Anyway, screenwriter Ehren Kruger (Arlington Road, The Ring 1 & 2) wrote a script for the film for Paramount Pictures, but the movie has had alot of setbacks. It has gone thru several directors, including Robert Rodgrigez, Steven Summors, Kerry Conran (his Sky Captain movie made him my fav. pick) and now its been handed to Jon Favreau (after he finishes the Iron Man movie).

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0269463/I would also love to see Steven King's Dark Tower series as a movie, but I don't think that will come anytime soon. I am interested in the comic book series that is supposed to start this year.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Any Chuck Palahniuk book. Fight Club turned out awesome so why can't we have another one?

Airframe by Michael Crichton. It was planned and in pre-production at one point but then they "shelved" it. Hopefully that means we'll eventually see it but at this point I'm not holding my breath.[/quote]
The last project didnt turn out so well (Timeline). Which is unfortunate. I had such high hopes for that movie cause the book was awesome. I was majorly disappointed when I saw the movie however.

What's Airframe about .. that book seems to have slipped under my radar.

[quote name='DJ K8E']Perks of Being A Wallflower. Because I have put off reading it for years, even though I want to.[/quote]

Get up and read it. You'll blaze through it and it really is an awesome book.

Do people seriously read books based on video games, trading card games and movies and shit?
That's fucked up, especially to mention them in a book-into-a-movie- thread.

Ham on Rye by Bukowski, Notes from Underground by Dostoevsky (I'd look on wikipedia or imdb to see if its been done, but that would involve opening a new tab and whatever, fuck that), ummm, any Carlton Mellic book, Survivor by Palahniuk, an American Battle Royale, oh! Crying of lot 49 would be amazing.

[quote name='smalien1']Do people seriously read books based on video games, trading card games and movies and shit?
That's fucked up, especially to mention them in a book-into-a-movie- thread.

Ham on Rye by Bukowski, Notes from Underground by Dostoevsky (I'd look on wikipedia or imdb to see if its been done, but that would involve opening a new tab and whatever, fuck that), ummm, any Carlton Mellic book, Survivor by Palahniuk, an American Battle Royale, oh! Crying of lot 49 would be amazing.[/quote]

The first Doom book wasn't bad at all.

And an american Battle Royale? No. American children can't act.

[quote name='smalien1']Do people seriously read books based on video games, trading card games and movies and shit?
[/QUOTE]
The Magic the Gathering books about the brother's war and the ones about the ice cycle are well done. Just like any other of your average fantasy book.

As for a book based on a movie which is then requested to be made into a movie... well thats just lack of research on someone's part.

No need to get your boner in a twist.

[quote name='sonderiaom']Good Omens by Neil Gaiman[/quote]

One of my favorites! This would be a great movie, very cinematic, but all the footnotes, prophecy, and narration would be really difficult to get right. I remember reading this had been picked up once, but I don't think anything came of it.

[quote name='kjauburn']Have to throw American Gods by Neil Gaiman out there as well...[/quote]

That would be great. Probably the book of his I enjoyed the most.

I hope that The Sandman never gets made into any sort of movie.

Nylund's Halo books, Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice (would probably work better as a miniseries), a few of Gaiman's books but American Gods would be a good start, and also a bunch of graphic novels but probably Blade of the Immortal most of all.

[quote name='Maklershed']The last project didnt turn out so well (Timeline). Which is unfortunate. I had such high hopes for that movie cause the book was awesome. I was majorly disappointed when I saw the movie however.

What's Airframe about .. that book seems to have slipped under my radar.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Timeline really didn't do the book justice at all.

Airframe was about an incident on a plane that ends up escalating into a fullblown conspiracy. I just realized how mundane that sounds as a concept but Crichton does an excellent job with the story for it.

bread's done
Back