Books to learn Japanese?

IMO I would recommend to check local area schools if one of them offers a course in intro Japanese (assuming that you're a beginner). Before you boggle up you mind with 'your' interpretations of the Japanese language, I would recommend to learn the basics from a teacher/professor. This will create a strong base which will enable you to learn Japanese on your own properly.

[quote name='oldschooldimo']when i was in college, we used the genki workbook/textbook. i learned alot, and it comes with a audio cd as well.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried looking for one on Amazon, but the first one I found was like $30-$40. Trying to look for something around $20.

[quote name='dejeckt']IMO I would recommend to check local area schools if one of them offers a course in intro Japanese (assuming that you're a beginner). Before you boggle up you mind with 'your' interpretations of the Japanese language, I would recommend to learn the basics from a teacher/professor. This will create a strong base which will enable you to learn Japanese on your own properly.[/QUOTE]

None of the local schools around me have Japanese. The closest school I know that does, is the community college. I have school during the daytime, so I would have to go at night, but I have tons of homework from school, so that'd be pretty troublesome to go really late at night. Plus, I can't drive yet =/

Best way to learn any new language is to watch TV. Go find some Japanese shows with English subs, you'll learn not only the language but the culture too. Get a book first though for the beginner stuff.

[quote name='Tony208']Best way to learn any new language is to watch TV. Go find some Japanese shows with English subs, you'll learn not only the language but the culture too.[/QUOTE]

This is terrible advice. Don't do this. Ever.

[quote name='Tony208']Best way to learn any new language is to watch TV. Go find some Japanese shows with English subs, you'll learn not only the language but the culture too. Get a book first though for the beginner stuff.[/QUOTE]

LOL... that is horrible advice, I've been watching fansubs for the past 8-9 years and the only Japanese I've only been able to pick up a few words! Maybe that is how you learned to speak spanglish but that wont work here.

bread's done
Back