Borderlands 2 Diamond Plate Loot Chest In Stock @ Thinkgeek - $99.99

Bezerker

CAGiversary!
Feedback
38 (97%)
Thinkgeek just sent out the email saying that the new Loot Chest is in stock.  Its $99.99 (Save an additional $20 with coupon code RETAILMEDAD) and comes with a lot of good stuff, even for those like me who already have the 1st loot chest:

• Includes:
    Diamond Plate Loot Chest
  • Loot Chest Certificate of Authenticity
  • A rare vacuform Goliath mask w/ SHiFT code that unlocks the head in-game
  • 20 Trading cards with SHiFT codes that unlock Legendary items in game
  • Vault Hunters Wanted Poster
  • Window Decals for Hyperion, Jakobs, Maliwan, and more

[*]Dimensions of Loot Chest: approx. 18" long x 8" deep x 6.25" tall
f497_loot_locker_embed.jpg

Link:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f497/?cpg=54424221&msg_id=54424221&et_rid=930702101&linkid=54424221_image_+f497#tabs

Last edited by a moderator:
i have yet to successfully buy a limited edition item from thinkgeek and im sure this will be no different... when do they generally update availability on items? Or maybe its random?

Wait, the Goliath replica mask is a physical item, right? The picture actually looks like a digital item but the description makes it sound like a physical item w/ a digital code to unlock it in game.

And holy crap! It sold out already? I'm surprised they went through 5000 copies in a few hours.
Yes! Did no one read through the description? It clearly states it comes with a vacu-form replica Goliath mask that includes a code for the same head in-game.
Also, Randy Pitchford tweeted there will be a second wave next week on the Gearbox store, no mention of it being sold anywhere else.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DuvalMagic/status/343134628728692737

Does anyone know if amz will sell this? I have credit there
This is limited to ThinkGeek, Forbidden Planet, and the Gearbox Store.

Wait, the Goliath replica mask is a physical item, right? The picture actually looks like a digital item but the description makes it sound like a physical item w/ a digital code to unlock it in game.

And holy crap! It sold out already? I'm surprised they went through 5000 copies in a few hours.
Damn, so I'm guessing it was limited to 5000. Funny how you end up regretting it once it sells out so fast lol, but it was for the best. I had no use for any of the goodies inside.
According to an article on Polygon:

The bundle will be sold at ThinkGeek, at the Gearbox shop and at Forbidden Planet for $100 (USD) starting June 2013. It’s limited to just 5,000 copies so make sure to keep an eye out for it if you want one. It would’ve been more considerate of Gearbox if they just mass produced the loot chest, but I guess this is better than nothing. As Travis B mentioned in the comments, Gearbox will mass produce this bundle. The only thing that’s unique to the first 5,000 units will be the certificate of authenticity. Thanks for the heads up Travis B!

Does anyone know if amz will sell this? I have credit there
This is limited to ThinkGeek, Forbidden Planet, and the Gearbox Store.

Damn, so I'm guessing it was limited to 5000. Funny how you end up regretting it once it sells out so fast lol, but it was for the best. I had no use for any of the goodies inside.

The bundle will be sold at ThinkGeek, at the Gearbox shop and at Forbidden Planet for $100 (USD) starting June 2013. It’s limited to just 5,000 copies so make sure to keep an eye out for it if you want one. It would’ve been more considerate of Gearbox if they just mass produced the loot chest, but I guess this is better than nothing. As Travis B mentioned in the comments, Gearbox will mass produce this bundle. The only thing that’s unique to the first 5,000 units will be the certificate of authenticity. Thanks for the heads up Travis B!
thanks for the info. ordered one from forbidden planet as i know ill miss thinkgeek as usual

OP, thanks for the heads up.  I've been waiting for this to come out.  I was able to snag 2 of the ULCE at a MS store a couple of days after it was released and pretty much sold out everywhere.  So I definitely needed to grab 2 of these.  Using the coupon code RETAILMEDAD to bring the price down made it even sweeter.  Funny how the coupon code stated "$20 off $100" or more.  I thought it wouldn't apply to this because it was only $99.99 before taxes.  So I just placed 2 separate orders to take advantage of the coupon.

Wow, what a fucking load... the first 5K get a certifcate? That's it? I regret dropping $90 on this now if it's not even going to be rare/limited.

Edit* Do you have a link to the article? I'm not seeing anywhere that Gearbox plans to mass produce this...

Wow, what a fucking load... the first 5K get a certifcate? That's it? I regret dropping $90 on this now if it's not even going to be rare/limited.

Edit* Do you have a link to the article? I'm not seeing anywhere that Gearbox plans to mass produce this...
I found it on technabob.com. The link is http://technabob.com/blog/2013/03/25/borderlands-2-diamond-plate-loot-chest/

At the end of the article, it mentions "via Polygon." So I assumed the source was Polygon. Anyways, the article was written on March 25, 2013, and mentions the comments from Travis B. I'm not sure if it's a valid source because I haven't come across this on other sites. Since there's been confirmation of a 2nd wave, it's looking more like it's being mass produced and not limited to only 5000.

I too hope theres a second run of this, or even mass produced, as me and the wife have been playing the shit out of this.  About halfway through true vault hunter mode, then moving on to ultimate.  So its worth the price for us to have a good time and have great weapons and physical items too.

I would stupidly pay up to $20 for the trading cards, assuming they're actual trading cards with cool info and shit and not just cards with codes on them.

I would stupidly pay up to $20 for the trading cards, assuming they're actual trading cards with cool info and shit and not just cards with codes on them.
They do appear to be "actual" trading cards, in the picture the cards show the weapon, it's manufacturer, and it has the gun's stats listed below the image.

Gearbox could actually make a pretty awesome trading card game out of Borderlands, with the insane amount of weapons and what not

MidnightMarauder74 said:
Vinny said:
MidnightMarauder74 said:

I found it on technabob.com. The link is http://technabob.com/blog/2013/03/25/borderlands-2-diamond-plate-loot-chest/

At the end of the article, it mentions "via Polygon." So I assumed the source was Polygon. Anyways, the article was written on March 25, 2013, and mentions the comments from Travis B. I'm not sure if it's a valid source because I haven't come across this on other sites. Since there's been confirmation of a 2nd wave, it's looking more like it's being mass produced and not limited to only 5000.
And you actually trust Polygon? They gave "The Last of Us" it's lowest review score and if you actually read it, that review is a freaking joke. I wouldn't trust anything that comes out of their mouths.

And you actually trust Polygon? They gave "The Last of Us" it's lowest review score and if you actually read it, that review is a freaking joke. I wouldn't trust anything that comes out of their mouths.
And you actually trust Gearbox?! You would think after the Aliens fiasco, you might wise up. Not like they outsourced the DLC campaigns, over charged for DLC characters (Krieg / Mechromancer are totally worth $10 dollars a pop) or an arena mode and charged for a level cap increase with a slightly changed story mode... wait they did that too.

Anyway, you're basically questioning a whole sites creditability based off one persons review, when we've seen Gearbox do several dishonest things in the past year. Right now I would trust a homeless man on the street, before I would trust anything they said.

Got the email, checked ebay for giggles. Already was at least 4 listed. People are crazy sometimes.  I got the Loot Chest, but why the heck would I need two of them?!!?

Got the email, checked ebay for giggles. Already was at least 4 listed. People are crazy sometimes. I got the Loot Chest, but why the heck would I need two of them?!!?
So the loot chest won't be lonely? I would get it if I had a space beside my loot chest.

And you actually trust Gearbox?! You would think after the Aliens fiasco, you might wise up. Not like they outsourced the DLC campaigns, over charged for DLC characters (Krieg / Mechromancer are totally worth $10 dollars a pop) or an arena mode and charged for a level cap increase with a slightly changed story mode... wait they did that too.

Anyway, you're basically questioning a whole sites creditability based off one persons review, when we've seen Gearbox do several dishonest things in the past year. Right now I would trust a homeless man on the street, before I would trust anything they said.
I didn't buy Aliens: Colonial Marines, but rented it. It was total and utter crap. Yeah, I still like Borderlands 2, so I would love to have this. Also, usually this item is really rare. I always wanted that special edition (loot box), but it's over about $250 used for the PS3 version. This will be good enough for me. Anyone want to sell their Steelbook? I want that too.

I didn't buy Aliens: Colonial Marines, but rented it. It was total and utter crap. Yeah, I still like Borderlands 2, so I would love to have this. Also, usually this item is really rare. I always wanted that special edition (loot box), but it's over about $250 used for the PS3 version. This will be good enough for me. Anyone want to sell their Steelbook? I want that too.
You missed my point. My point was just that Gearbox isn't a trust worthy company as of late and this sounds like something they would do. Even if the source might be questionable, the content is not impossible to believe. It had nothing to do with value. I mean, if you want to pay $100 for a plastic box for a game you love, well god bless.

---

Off topic, but PlayAsia still has the loot chest for sale. Not cheap, but cheaper than your quoted amount.

http://www.play-asia.com/Borderlands_2_Ultimate_Loot_Chest_Limited_Edition/paOS-13-71-bp-49-en-70-502r.html

Shipping is 68 dollars, which brings it to 206, but it's new. PC is also 10 dollars cheaper I believe (not in the mood to do the math).

You missed my point. My point was just that Gearbox isn't a trust worthy company as of late and this sounds like something they would do. Even if the source might be questionable, the content is not impossible to believe. It had nothing to do with value. I mean, if you want to pay $100 for a plastic box for a game you love, well god bless.

---

Off topic, but PlayAsia still has the loot chest for sale. Not cheap, but cheaper than your quoted amount.

http://www.play-asia.com/Borderlands_2_Ultimate_Loot_Chest_Limited_Edition/paOS-13-71-bp-49-en-70-502r.html

Shipping is 68 dollars, which brings it to 206, but it's new. PC is also 10 dollars cheaper I believe (not in the mood to do the math).
Yeah, that I was going to buy that eventually, but not now. Crazy prices on shipping. I paid for a God of War Controller and Steelbook game for $62 plus $10 shipping and that was last week. It's taking forever for that to get here.

Yeah, that I was going to buy that eventually, but not now. Crazy prices on shipping. I paid for a God of War Controller and Steelbook game for $62 plus $10 shipping and that was last week. It's taking forever for that to get here.
Well that box is huge. You got to go Fedex though, I always get my packages in a day from Fedex.

I was bummed that I did not get in on this at first, but then I saw that Thinkgeek will restock and Gearbox's online store will get these as well so I did not worry about finding one online. That may have been a blessing as I am now on the fence as I actually saw an unboxing of this and it looks underwhelming to say the least.

I got an order in at Forbidden planet but going to cancel it.
Saw just now that more of these will be available in August

https://twitter.com/GearboxSoftware/status/343020926180421632
Are you sure you want to do that. Take a look at my unboxing to find out what everything looks like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9x_eRHwLMU
That looks terrible. If you're trying to convince people not to buy it, consider your video a success.

For $99, you get a whole bunch of junk. Nothing special. The mask looks cheap and all the other items are a bunch of crap. The game isn't even included. Where's a statue or something of value? This is a epic fail.

For $99, you get a whole bunch of junk. Nothing special. The mask looks cheap and all the other items are a bunch of crap. The game isn't even included. Where's a statue or something of value? This is a epic fail.

The game is worth no more then $19.99 so not including it doesn't detract from its value. I think the Dead Space Dev Team edition (Sans game) isn't worth much more then the $99 price tag but many others have paid $300+ for it.

Personally I'm not a diehard fan of either franchise but I'd be more then willing to pay to have these collectibles

The game is worth no more then $19.99 so not including it doesn't detract from its value. I think the Dead Space Dev Team edition (Sans game) isn't worth much more then the $99 price tag but many others have paid $300+ for it.

Personally I'm not a diehard fan of either franchise but I'd be more then willing to pay to have these collectibles
What collectables? A few sheets of paper and a cheap mask. At least with Ultimate Loot Chest, you got something worthy of paying $90 dollars for. (I say $90 because the game was included which cost $59.99). You got the bobblehead, the steelbook, the hardbound book, comic book download and more. This edition, you get a few cards, a cheap mask and some window decals.

What collectables? A few sheets of paper and a cheap mask. At least with Ultimate Loot Chest, you got something worthy of paying $90 dollars for. (I say $90 because the game was included which cost $59.99). You got the bobblehead, the steelbook, the hardbound book, comic book download and more. This edition, you get a few cards, a cheap mask and some window decals.
Well "part" of the value is that the cards can be redeemed for the legendary weapons via shift, though it's not like trading and or the fact the game is almost a year old makes these particularly useful either. There is also the Goliath costume, but that ALSO seems to be dupable, which also makes it worthless.

Are you sure you want to do that. Take a look at my unboxing to find out what everything looks like.
That looks terrible. If you're trying to convince people not to buy it, consider your video a success.
That's what I was thinking. From the looks of it, it seems pretty cheap and not worth the hefty price tag. That's just my opinion though. Congrats to those who bought it and are enjoying their new purchase.

After seeing how flimsy the mask is, definitely going to wait until this gets discounted a bit in the future, or here is a save $XX when you spend $XX deal.

bojay1997 said:
R3DNate said:
DanteWarrior said:

I wasn't convincing you on buying it. I was showing you what you get. Personally, I just wanted the loot box. The only really cool thing in it was the 20 cards you get for in-game weapons and other items. I liked that a lot. Yes, that mask is stupid. I thought they'd give me some sort of cool mask, not a Halloween $1 store mask. :)

The Goliath mask reminds me of something you would see at a discount store for post Halloween kids costumes with that cheap plastic and rubber band on the back. Really no thought put into that mask as you got so much more value for the Ultimate Loot as people have already pointed out. I feel better knowing I got the Last Of Us: Post Pandemic edition over this.

Wow, what the fuck is wrong with Gearbox? They need to get their priorities straight. That whole set looks cheap as can be. I can't help but think that instead of spending money on custom packaging materials that money wouldn't be better spent making the item people are actually paying for a little nicer. Yeah it's cool that instead of normal newspaper for padding you made custom ones and made a custom shipping box but how much was spent on that? Why not put the cash into making the mask something of value, I would have been offended if I bought this set and opened it up.

honestly the only thing that looks crappy in the set is the mask which is probably the item i was looking forward to the least. everything else looks great but thats just me

I have the original loot chest and was totally upset I missed this....not anymore.
Exactly. I have the original one & am just not able to justify buying this. Chest is almost same & goodies inside are far more inferior

Maybe I will snatch one down the line if it goes cheap

the original came with that cool bobble head in addition to the actual chest...

saw an unboxing video of this and was really dissapointed, no longer regret missing out on this

I kind of thought I wanted one, specifically for the actual chest. Now that I have watched an unboxing I am going to pass.

I wanted a BO2 Care Package too, but passed on that. I really wish someone would make one of these cool boxes out of high-quality plastic, something really durable. I want one that is Pelican Case quality, like something I would store a tactical radio in. I think I would pay a few hundred bucks for something like that.

Thanks for the unboxing...that makes me fine with not ordering one of these.  Definitely only in for one of these sets if they are substantially cheaper down the line.

With the Ultimate Loot you got so much more value. You did get some nice physical items such as the game and steel book which was $60 MSRP brand new. You got the bobble head as well as the art book and map and was also limited with a COA.

• Replica Borderlands Loot Chest
  • Creatures of Pandora Wide Format ID Chart
  • Field Notes from Sir Hammerlock
  • Numbered Certificate of Authenticity
  • Four Lithograph Postcards
  • Vending Machine Bobblehead Box
  • Four Sticker Set
  • Exclusive Steelbook Case
  • Game Disc
  • Comic Book Download
  • Authentic Mercus Bobblehead
  • Inside the Vault Hardbound Book
  • Cloth Map of Pandora

That Mask is a total letdown.  I have the CE so I am good on the chest.  But I would've bought this for a quality mask to display not some Dollar Store Quality Mask. I am a huge fan of the game and series and would gladly pay for quality, but this lacks that for sure.

Thanks for the unboxings I saw on YouTube.  Man this set is kinda sad.  The mask especially I was expecting better, not some flimsy Halloween mask.  Glad I got my ULC still with me instead.

sad news i just got emailed this s bummed value of this will increase more.. I wish i had the funds way back...

Greetings, fellow Smart Mass!

You had previously requested to be informed when the product below
returned in stock at ThinkGeek.  Unfortunately, new stock has not
arrived and we have decided instead to discontinue the product. 
We apologize for the inconvenience.

Borderlands 2 Swag-filled Limited Edition Diamond Plate Loot Chest

If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please contact us!
We want you to be happy geeks, not sad or angry geeks. Thanks!

Live long and prosper,

- Timmy and your fellow ThinkGeek Smart Masses*

I got the email too. Disappointed as well but not surprised at all. If there is anything to be surprised about it's that they took this long to tell us what we already knew.

Just got the email too, I'm tempted but I just can't find any value in this besides the chest. The "loot" itself isn't worth it imo. Hmm... But on the other hand I do want that chest since I missed out on the Ultimate Loot Chest...

Edit: Alright, screw it. Bought!

bread's done
Back