Borderlands GOTY on XBOX 360 4GB Slim

cheapfrag

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
I know if there's anyone who can help me, they have to be a CAG.

I have a XBOX 360 4GB Slim that was purchased in August 2010. I have a 16 GB USB flash drive with over 11 GB of space.

I purchased Borderlands GOTY at Gamestop a couple of months ago when it was on sale for $20. Just started playing it. We were playing the base game at first. Then we went to install the "DLC" on the second disk (this version of the game has the 2nd disk instead of the downloadable codes) and we received a message "Expansion Pack Installer: You must have a hard drive to install this expansion pack. Attach an Ebox 360 Hard Drive and try again."

Does anyone have a work around so that I can play the DLC? Thanks!

Yeah, the one with two discs still requires the hard drive. It says it right on the box that it uses 4.5gb.

I'd suggest installing one DLC, playing through it, and then deleting one and installing the next, but that error message makes me think you simply need a proper HDD.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Yeah, the one with two discs still requires the hard drive. It says it right on the box that it uses 4.5gb.

I'd suggest installing one DLC, playing through it, and then deleting one and installing the next, but that error message makes me think you simply need a proper HDD.[/QUOTE]

Yes , it says on the box "ADD-ON GAME CONTENT REQUIRES 4.5 GB OF STORAGE SPACE"

I have more storage space than that with the USB Flash Drive. It does not say a HDD is required. As far as I know, there is no way to install the DLC separately.

I have a 4gb xbox and I bought a 16gb stick for the exact same reason you did. I haven't tried intalling yet though. Did you make sure that you had the proper storage device selected?

OK, I think I figured it out.

Instead of using the auto-start, I selected "Y" (game details) and chose "INSTALL" instead of "PLAY" and then it showed me my USB Flash Drive storage and I selected it and it seems to be installing it now.

with how cheap hard drives are, you'd think microsoft would put a 60-80gb HDD instead of 4gb of flash storage.

4gb is horrible and paying $90-130 extra for 250gb of storage is highway robbery.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The Dord']with how cheap hard drives are, you'd think microsoft would put a 60-80gb HDD instead of 4gb.

4gb is horrible and paying $100-130 extra for 250gb of storage is highway robbery.[/QUOTE]

Just so you know it's not a 4GB HDD, it's 4GB of flash memory.

[quote name='iamsobroke']PS. this method does not work. You need a physical Hard drive and not a hard drive[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you are saying... I installed the DLC from the 2nd disk and when I get the start menu it lists the DLC missions under the menu. I do not see the missions at the U-station though in order to fast travel to them but assume I just hadn't got the right mission or level. My USB flash drive definitely has 4 GB less room.

So are you saying that even though the DLC is installed I can't play them without a hard drive?

[quote name='cheapfrag']Not sure what you are saying... I installed the DLC from the 2nd disk and when I get the start menu it lists the DLC missions under the menu. I do not see the missions at the U-station though in order to fast travel to them but assume I just hadn't got the right mission or level. My USB flash drive definitely has 4 GB less room.

So are you saying that even though the DLC is installed I can't play them without a hard drive?[/QUOTE]

That is correct, at least when trying to play it off the dlc disk, but now that I think about it you might just play it off the main disk

Yes, according to the manual, the DLC is played using the main disk. And I see the DLC listed when I get to the main menu, but I don't see it on the U-station fast travel list.

[quote name='cheapfrag']Yes, according to the manual, the DLC is played using the main disk. And I see the DLC listed when I get to the main menu, but I don't see it on the U-station fast travel list.[/QUOTE]
Also, according to the manual:

Players need to at least have finished the mission "Skags at the Gate" in the original Game to access the Add-On content.

Have you tried that?

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Also, according to the manual:

Have you tried that?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I checked to make sure that mission was in my completed list... that one is very early in the story if I remember.

I can't believe that Microsoft is selling gimped XBOX 360s... this was a new 4GB slim purchased in August 2010 and so far I have had problems playing a certain game type in Halo: Reach and now the DLC from the Borderlands GOTY edition.

It's not really gimped they just expect you to own the large hard drive. I haven't upgraded to the slim yet and I'm teetering with just about 5gb left on my 60gb hard drive. Your only real option is to just break down and buy a hard drive. You'll need one sooner or later anyways.

[quote name='Spanky']It's not really gimped they just expect you to own the large hard drive. I haven't upgraded to the slim yet and I'm teetering with just about 5gb left on my 60gb hard drive. Your only real option is to just break down and buy a hard drive. You'll need one sooner or later anyways.[/QUOTE]

The XBOX 360 4GB Slim is definitely gimped. It can not play the DLC from the Borderlands GOTY edition even though I have plenty of space on my 16 GB USB flash drive. Apparently, in order to play it, I will need to find a friend with an XBOX with a HDD and install it on his machine and then copy the file to my USB flash drive.

Also, I could not play a particular game type in Halo: Reach (I think it was "Firefight"?)

So how is that not gimped. the 4GB XBOX with flash memory cannot play all the games that the XBOX with a Hard Drive can.

[quote name='cheapfrag']
So how is that not gimped. the 4GB XBOX with flash memory cannot play all the games that the XBOX with a Hard Drive can.[/QUOTE]

Flash memory ≠ Hard Drive

[quote name='Corvin']Flash memory ≠ Hard Drive[/QUOTE]

No shit that flash memory does not equal Hard Drive. What's your point?

Does Microsoft put a disclaimer on the box of the 4 GB model stating that this version won't play all the games the HD model does? NOPE. Does the Borderlands GOTY edition software state on the box that DLC requires a Hard Drive? NOPE, only that 4.5 GB is required for DLC... which I have.

The 4GB Xbox 360 is gimped!

[quote name='ZForce915']$90 for the hard drive
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-250G...JDC6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311798846&sr=8-1

Still expensive but you're making it out to be worse than it is.[/QUOTE]

Not everyone shops online though, YMMV. It's still not the greatest though.. I'd love it if it was a little bit cheaper, but for me it's a moot point since I just replaced my old MTN dew winner console of 2005 with a new 250gb Xbox Slim.

[quote name='cheapfrag']No shit that flash memory does not equal Hard Drive. What's your point?

Does Microsoft put a disclaimer on the box of the 4 GB model stating that this version won't play all the games the HD model does? NOPE. Does the Borderlands GOTY edition software state on the box that DLC requires a Hard Drive? NOPE, only that 4.5 GB is required for DLC... which I have.

The 4GB Xbox 360 is gimped![/QUOTE]

Microsoft isn't really bothered to put something on their box that would reduce their sales, but I get your sentiment.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cheapfrag']
Does Microsoft put a disclaimer on the box of the 4 GB model stating that this version won't play all the games the HD model does? NOPE. [/QUOTE]

Does it still play Borderlands? Yes.

[quote name='cheapfrag']Does the Borderlands GOTY edition software state on the box that DLC requires a Hard Drive? NOPE, only that 4.5 GB is required for DLC... which I have.[/QUOTE]

I checked out the cover and it is kinda dubious saying "4.5GB Storage Space required." It should definitely specify hard drive.

[quote name='cheapfrag'] What's your point?
[/QUOTE]

If you knew you were going to be downloading DLC, games, etc. why buy a 4GB system to begin with? Even not knowing about this specific DLC issue, you had to know that 4GB wouldn't suffice in the long run. Hell that's 9GB fewer than launch models nearly 7 years ago.

Point was a jump drive is not a substitute for a hard drive. It's a nice supplement, for game saves, arcade games, etc.

[quote name='Corvin']Does it still play Borderlands? Yes.

I checked out the cover and it is kinda dubious saying "4.5GB Storage Space required." It should definitely specify hard drive.

If you knew you were going to be downloading DLC, games, etc. why buy a 4GB system to begin with? Even not knowing about this specific DLC issue, you had to know that 4GB wouldn't suffice in the long run. Hell that's 9GB fewer than launch models nearly 7 years ago.

Point was a jump drive is not a substitute for a hard drive. It's a nice supplement, for game saves, arcade games, etc.[/QUOTE]

I originally started this thread to see if there was an easy workaround to installing the DLC and then I turned it into a rant. Sorry. But I still find it unusual that the 4GB model doesn't have the full capability of the Hard Drive models. Only two games right now that I know of: the DLC for Borderlands GOTY and Firefight for Halo Reach, but I don't play a lot on my XBOX, mostly PS3. I did buy Battlefield Bad Company 2 Ultimate Edition and that worked with the DLC. I guess I have to check each game prior to buying it to make sure there's not issues.

As far as Borderlands GOTY, yes, it plays the basic game but I paid extra for the GOTY edition and that is wasted money so far

Full disclosure: As far as buying the 4 GB model, it was a gift from my brother-in-law and would not own a XBOX if it were not for that... (what do they say about looking a gift horse in the mouth?) So although I may not be a Sony fanboy I do prefer my PS3. I upgraded the PS3 60 GB HDD to a 320 GB without a problem. Of course, I did have a YLOD issue on my launch console.

bread's done
Back