Borders Store Closing 40% blu rays

I'll be interested to see what's left when they drop to 75% or so. That's when they'll start to be decent prices. At 40% off list, they are not even Amazon prices, from what I saw...

[quote name='janesvilleninja']Hey guys don't know if this has been posted yet but border stores are closing right now and all blu rays are 40% off and dvds are 20% also if you have a borders + card you get a extra 10% off[/QUOTE]

I don't even have any Borders around me left anymore, and at 40%, it was still paying more than regular MSRP anywhere else. By the time the 70% sale was around, everything good was gone by then.

Why do you need to make a separate thread about borders closing and BR's being 40% off?...check the other thread in the shopping deals forum. What's next, your 50% off BR's at borders thread?

Have to agree with everyone else here. The markup on discs at borders is nearly 50% over most other retailers. So far the only deals are on magazines (40% off) and figures (30%).

They started the markdowns at 40% off. That should say a little something at just how overpriced they were to begin with.

[quote name='Josef']They started the markdowns at 40% off. That should say a little something at just how overpriced they were to begin with.[/QUOTE]

That's why they're closing, lol.

I got the out of print Akira Blu-ray that comes with the collectable book for $30 so the liquidation wasn't a complete bust.

[quote name='Blinddog']Lol. The Lord of the Rings bluray set is 125.99. after 40% off it would be about $76.[/QUOTE]

That's not a bad deal. It's $79.99 on Amazon right now.

No bargain by any means, but an ok price. Even better if they have some left when it gets down to 50-60% off.

[quote name='therealdeal19']soooo... then it's regular price. There is a reason why Border's is now completely finished.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think they really made a mistake by focusing so much on movies and music when they sold them at such high prices.

That necessitated having huge warehouse stores with huge rents which did them in.

If they'd stayed smaller and focused on books and their coffee shop they'd probably still be doing ok. Book prices were usually ok, especially with their rewards card etc. Everything else was absurdly over priced.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, I think they really made a mistake by focusing so much on movies and music when they sold them at such high prices.

That necessitated having huge warehouse stores with huge rents which did them in.

If they'd stayed smaller and focused on books and their coffee shop they'd probably still be doing ok. Book prices were usually ok, especially with their rewards card etc. Everything else was absurdly over priced.[/QUOTE]

They should have killed "music" as one of their three pillars when people stopped buying it. And replaced it with "games" - there's actually a market for those!

Even that was just pricing. It was great how you could scan and listen to any cd in the store. I'd have bought a lot more stuff there if their cds had been priced competively with at least Best Buy and Target, if not with the online stores.

So no third-party liquidation yet? They're just trying to sell everything they can on their terms instead?

I'm reminded of how the Circuit City liquidation was pretty iffy with prices for many weeks since they used outsiders. Don't recall CompUSA pulling that kind of crap. Is there even a schedule for Borders? Any word on book sales?

I stopped buying CD's and focused on digital downloads when i found out where most of the money was actually going to (the studio and not the artist). An artist literally get's pennies when a CD is sold and doesn't actually help to support an artist. As for movies, they should have priced competitively in the first place.

This sale is more like 0%-5% savings. I am estimating that near closing time, the prices would match close to best buy/target/walmart.

As far as picking up shit that I don't plan on buying...they need to drop a lot more and not just go down to the regular retail prices at most stores.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, I think they really made a mistake by focusing so much on movies and music when they sold them at such high prices.

If they'd stayed smaller and focused on books and their coffee shop they'd probably still be doing ok. Book prices were usually ok, especially with their rewards card etc. Everything else was absurdly over priced.[/QUOTE]

^ All of this. I can remember when they expanded their BR/music section at my store and I was floored by how much they were charging for stuff. Even on books, especially in the last couple of years, it seemed like Borders was at least $3 - $10 more than other B&Ms, let alone Amazon.

[quote name='DynamiteShikoku']I stopped buying CD's and focused on digital downloads when i found out where most of the money was actually going to (the studio and not the artist). An artist literally get's pennies when a CD is sold and doesn't actually help to support an artist. As for movies, they should have priced competitively in the first place.
[/QUOTE]

But do they get any more out of digital sales for places like iTunes? I'd assumed bands that had terrible contracts for cd sales had the same for mp3 sales.

I like to have CDs, even though I mainly listen to MP3s, so I'm going to buy them regardless. The bands I love I see in concert every chance I get so they get money that way at least. Where possible, I buy albums directly from the band. But that's really only possible for indie bands, and big bands who aren't on contract with labels and put out their own music now like Pearl Jam.

Stopped into my nearby Borders today. They're still getting new stock from the warehouses during liquidation and had a bunch of new Criterion Blu-rays that weren't there when I stopped by last week. With the current 60% off on Blu-rays I got The Night of the Hunter for $20 and for $16 each I got The Darjeeling Limited and Gimme Shelter.

There were also well over a dozen copies each of Chungking Express and Stagecoach on Blu-ray and then single copies of various other Criterion Blu-rays and DVDs. If you have a Borders still open nearby and are looking for cheap Criterion films I'd check soon because I know all my local stores are officially closing next week.

Store I hit pretty much had exercise DVDs left, some random blu-rays there were terrible, and so much twilight filth flooding the store.

I got some decent stuff:
Night at the Museum
Groundhog Day
Predator 2
Napolean Dynamite
Ice Age Dawn of the Dinaosaurs
Chipmunks Sequel

Went back in for my final visit to Borders. With the 70% off I got Charade, Chungking Express, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, and Stagecoach on Blu-ray for $12 each.

Well, looks like prices are finally getting down to where I would consider buying. I guess I'll head over to my Borders sometime this weekend.

One near me had a very small selection of blu rays, but I still bought a few. They were 70% off.

Lethal Weapon
Lethal Weapon 2
Assault On Precinct 13 (2005)
Pandorum
Dawn of the Dead (I passed on Predator 2 to buy this because I thought I had Predator 2 on blu but not Dawn, I was wrong, I had Dawn and not Predator 2, DOH!)

Last edited by a moderator:
The 3 reasons I don't buy from them is
1.prices are too high
2.you have to pay to be a member
3.Amazon is better

Store 2 had some Criterion DVDs at least.. not blu, but eh. Grabbed some books I was after... I'm actually surprised they had the books I wanted, the shelves seemed to mostly be new releases/top sellers/harry potter/twilight type stuff. Graphic Novels and manga was complete crap. :/

Anyone know if any NJ stores are still open?
Depending on if any are close, might take a trip out if there are any that are relatively close...unless you tell me there's nothing left haha.

[quote name='pk24']Anyone know if any NJ stores are still open?
Depending on if any are close, might take a trip out if there are any that are relatively close...unless you tell me there's nothing left haha.[/QUOTE]

The one I went to is in Mt. Laurel, though I don't know where in Jersey you are. The blu ray selection is extremely small, dvd selection is meh, but the book selection isn't too bad, it's just a pain to look for something you want because it's not in order at all.

[quote name='JohnnyDeLicious']Unless you're looking for Twilight, don't bother with the Columbus Circle store in NYC. Anyone hit the Penn store?[/QUOTE]

So how much is Twilight going for at Columbus Circle? Passed on it for $9.99 at the Blockbuster Video sale but wouldn't mind picking them up if they were much lower, maybe $6.

Went to the Penn store a few weeks back and unless I missed where they put the blurays, the only title I saw was the final season of 24. Everything else was DVD.

[quote name='tcrash247']The one I went to is in Mt. Laurel, though I don't know where in Jersey you are. The blu ray selection is extremely small, dvd selection is meh, but the book selection isn't too bad, it's just a pain to look for something you want because it's not in order at all.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much dead center NJ.
Closest one to me was in Freehold, but when I went, I believe I just missed it by a couple of days.

--Thanks for the info! Anyone know of any other stores still open give me a shout :)

Stopped by Borders in St Pete FL today and they hardly barely any blu rays at all. 70% off. Picked up Billy Madison for 8 bucks.

FYI, I'm a certified Grade-A Angus, I mean Genius.

No clue as to what Blus are at, but DVDs will be at least 70% now.

20110908.jpg

bread's done
Back