Bought a "pre-built" custom PC from Compusa

Yaboy125

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
This was Saturday night. Apparently what they advertise as "Pre-built" has to be built in store, after you buy it. As I was customizing and this saved me the additional $30 charge, it didn't bother me that bad. However, this was all still Saturday night! I called them yesterday, twice, figuring how long could it REALLY take to build a PC? 20 mins?

No one answered at all the first time, I got a VM box. I didn't leave a message, frustrated at their incompetence (they ****** up ringing me up too) and called back an hour later. This time a girl answered, I told her my name and why I was calling, she transferred me to the department who builds the pcs. No one answers, AGAIN. So this time since I'm with the right department at least, I leave a message with my name, order number, and phone number, and ask nicely just to be updated. No one calls.

So I go up there tonight, figuring it has to be done right? ******* incompetent morons messed up ringing me up, so it never generated an invoice for it to be built. So even though the guy I talked to immediately knew who I was because he was aware of the issue, and 3 of the 4 managers I talked to throughout the night knew about it before I got there, NOTHING had been done. I had to stand there for like an hour being updated as they re-rang it up and got a new invoice issued.

The worst part is they open at 9 and can still only promise me it will be done be 2 P.M. This is just unacceptable. I plan on going up there at 9 and talking with the manager. Hopefully he offers me something for free, so I don't have to ask, but frankly, at this point, I feel like they owe me something.

I tried to avoid a big wall of text.. but ugh was that frustrating. What would you guys do in my situation?

[quote name='Yaboy125']I called them yesterday, twice, figuring how long could it REALLY take to build a PC? 20 mins?[/QUOTE]

rofl

1. This section of the forum is not a blog
2. Sorry you have your issues, but if you are competent in building your own computer, why did you let compusa do this?
3. If I was in your situation, I would vent this on a blog...

This is the problem with society today. If something is not done to their taste, then the world "owes" them something. They dont owe you squat. They remedied the solution. Shit happens in retail, its not all fun and games. If you dont like the way things are being handled, then simply ask for a refund and build it yourself or buy a truly "pre-built" system from an online manufacture who will take a couple of weeks to send it to you. You should probably go through the companies policy and procedures before expecting something to be built for you in 20 mins. While I completely understand your frustation, and do agree that some compensation in some form or fashion would be nice, its def not something that they "owe" you.... I know as a consumer and as someone who works in retail, one shitty customer can make or break the rest of your day. You def dont want to piss of the incompetent morons building your "custom prebuilt" rig just to have nothing but issues with it because you demanded it be done in 20 mins.

[quote name='Yaboy125'] What would you guys do in my situation?[/QUOTE]

I would have a drink and relax. It'll be done when it's done. You're probably making the situation worse by psycho calling.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']I would have a drink and relax. It'll be done when it's done. You're probably making the situation worse by psycho calling.[/QUOTE]

But dude, it should only take like 20 minutes to get the parts, build the computer, make sure it boots (and if it doesn't do any required trouble-shooting), install Windows, then install any necessary drivers/programs onto the computer. Not only that, but I'm sure they don't have any other computers that were ordered before his to build, I mean, what is this, a store or something?

[quote name='JBaz']2. Sorry you have your issues, but if you are competent in building your own computer, why did you let compusa do this?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure he has zero clue how to build a computer judging by his concept of how long it takes to get one up and running from scratch.

Guess you've never made a mistake at your job, eh OP?

Since you sound like the incompetent one here, Mr. 20 Minutes, why didn't you just buy one off the shelf? It would have saved you a lot of aggravation.

What would I do? I would spend under $400 and build a great rig. Get my gaming on and laugh at those like you frustrated with the simple things of life by your own design.

the majority of the problem wasn't that they screwed up, it's that their communication was abhorrent. They made mistakes, that's fine, we all do. But the problem was that in every case, I had to DRIVE up there to get them to admit and fix said mistakes. Calling did nothing. Waiting did nothing.

I paid them $841 for a custom build, and if I hadn't been the psycho-caller refuse-to-wait for them to call back ******* who goes and bugs the employees, my machine still wouldn't even be being built.

And on top of all that, they tried to charge me $80 when I picked it up because it "rang up wrong".

According to the ad it was 599, +30 +15 (rebates) +120 (hdd) +30 (network card).

Subtotal was 795. I had no less than 6 people tell me I underpaid. (meaning I owed them more $$$)

The funny part is that PC will probably shit the bed in 6 months or less. Then you'll have to deal with their warranty policies (if any) and wait for them to repair it. (Might take 15min max)

I honestly had no idea that CompUSA was still around. I thought TD just bough their domains and operated them as an online business. Hell, there are many locations with 1-2 hours of me. Go figure...

Pretty sure he has zero clue how to build a computer judging by his concept of how long it takes to get one up and running from scratch.
I could build a PC in 20 mins... fully functional...? well, that remains to be seen. I consider QDOS fully functional :p

But its put together, powers up and text spams "hello world" before the eventual self-aware skynet, nuclear Holocaust thing...

I honestly had no idea that CompUSA was still around. I thought TD just bough their domains and operated them as an online business. Hell, there are many locations with 1-2 hours of me. Go figure...
Yeah, CompUSA is still around, a few stores here and there, but yeah its operated by TigerDirect; so it makes sense to just buy from TD in the first place. And honestly... Even when CompUSA was in business, they had horrible CS back then. What makes OP so sure this had changed? Everyone in retail business knew they sucked, but they always had good prices... that and bawls.

[quote name='JBaz']I could build a PC in 20 mins... fully functional...? well, that remains to be seen. I consider QDOS fully functional :p

But its put together, powers up and text spams "hello world" before the eventual self-aware skynet, nuclear Holocaust thing...
[/QUOTE]

I mean I can do the same with a Linux Live CD or USB boot but that is hardly what people mean when they say "built a PC."

[quote name='Vader582']20 minutes? That might be enough time to get the wiring how you want it.[/QUOTE]

If you're aiming for speed, I can build one in 20 min, sans Windows install.

But realistically, at 20 minutes, I'll probably have the CPU/mobo/PSU mounted, and starting on zip-tying cables...

zip ties? its called cardboard box case and duct tape. lol

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-03-asus-ships-cardboard-pc-cases.html

But honestly, you can realistically build a pc, fully functional pc pretty damn fast, provided you already have a windows image with programs installed and up to date for the set of hardware. That's how oem's do it.

You can also use high speed, low torque cordless drills for assembly; use cases that have tooless snap on designs and use mustard instead of thermal paste.... wait what? lol

[quote name='JBaz']zip ties? its called cardboard box case and duct tape. lol

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-03-asus-ships-cardboard-pc-cases.html

But honestly, you can realistically build a pc, fully functional pc pretty damn fast, provided you already have a windows image with programs installed and up to date for the set of hardware. That's how oem's do it.

You can also use high speed, low torque cordless drills for assembly; use cases that have tooless snap on designs and use mustard instead of thermal paste.... wait what? lol[/QUOTE]

Lol, what is the thermal conductivity of wet and dry mustard, and is Grey Poupon higher?

bread's done
Back