Box crushed in mail, product still works. What would you do?

Rusty Ghia

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I bought a new-in-box Gameshark Pro for the Gameboy Pocket/Color from a seller on eBay, however the package was crushed as he/she put the flimsy box inside of a bubble wrap envelope. I could have paid much less for a loose Gameshark, but I wanted the entire package. The Gameshark works, but I don't know what I should tell the guy.

What would you do?

I'm dealing with the same thing with a Tales of Vesperia guide. File a Paypal dispute asking for a partial refund to equate it to it's now damaged value (i.e. what you would pay for a loose one)

[quote name='ferant316']I'm dealing with the same thing with a Tales of Vesperia guide. File a Paypal dispute asking for a partial refund to equate it to it's now damaged value (i.e. what you would pay for a loose one)[/quote]

You could always just ask for a partial refund before you file a dispute, lol. Dont see why you have to be a jerk first. I mean if they dont agree to give you one, then you should file the dispute.

Probably shoulda just go the opened one for less. Unless its a game case thats plastic or something, I never expect my cardboard packeges to come in perfect. Of course that doesnt help you now. What they said ^ is probably your best bet, although squarehard is probably right about not being a jerk first.

[quote name='Squarehard']You could always just ask for a partial refund before you file a dispute, lol. Dont see why you have to be a jerk first. I mean if they dont agree to give you one, then you should file the dispute.[/quote]

A Paypal dispute is the only means of communication within eBay for contact with a seller regarding a damaged or significantly not as described item. If you go to the resolution center and say that one of those is your problem it automatically leads you into a Paypal Dispute.

Emailing them outside of eBay means that your communication with them is not recorded, and in a case I did with Paypal they said they will not accept copies of emails that took place outside of eBay as they can be edited. I would much rather go through the method the eBay and Paypal intend for cases like this to protect myself even if it means being a jerk.

[quote name='ferant316']A Paypal dispute is the only means of communication within eBay for contact with a seller regarding a damaged or significantly not as described item. If you go to the resolution center and say that one of those is your problem it automatically leads you into a Paypal Dispute.

Emailing them outside of eBay means that your communication with them is not recorded, and in a case I did with Paypal they said they will not accept copies of emails that took place outside of eBay as they can be edited. I would much rather go through the method the eBay and Paypal intend for cases like this to protect myself even if it means being a jerk.[/quote]

you do know they have a "contact seller about this item" option right? that is what you should have done first IMO useually if you do that, they will be more willing to refund you then if you file a dispute, ex. i bought halo 3, the disc was cracked but still worked, i contacted the seller FIRST and he sent out a new copy of the game to replace the cracked one, and paid my return shipping so he didnt get the mark against him, it is ALWAYS a good idea to contact the seller first before resorting to filing a dispute. atleast i think so anyway.

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']you do know they have a "contact seller about this item" option right? that is what you should have done first IMO useually if you do that, they will be more willing to refund you then if you file a dispute, ex. i bought halo 3, the disc was cracked but still worked, i contacted the seller FIRST and he sent out a new copy of the game to replace the cracked one, and paid my return shipping so he didnt get the mark against him, it is ALWAYS a good idea to contact the seller first before resorting to filing a dispute. atleast i think so anyway.[/quote]

You know, I actually do know that however it never occurred to me. Maybe I'm just jaded after the many eBay deals that have went wrong.

OP, I amend my suggestion. Contact them through eBay, if they don't offer a refund that way escalate to a dispute.

I'd try to work something out with the guy through eBay, for the difference between an open/unsealed one and what you paid for yours.

He will definitely be more inclined to give you a partial refund if you contact him through ebay first than just going ahead and filing a dispute. I'm sure if you explain the situation he will be glad to offer you a partial refund. If not then open a dispute.

I sent him a message telling him that the box was damaged. I'll try to be civil with him/her. If I don't get a partial refund that way, I'll file a claim.

yeah i noticed this at my local best buy they use the security straps with the devices on them and wrap them so tight around halo wars collectors edition sets that they dent the metal and damage all the goodies inside

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']you do know they have a "contact seller about this item" option right? that is what you should have done first IMO useually if you do that, they will be more willing to refund you then if you file a dispute, ex. i bought halo 3, the disc was cracked but still worked, i contacted the seller FIRST and he sent out a new copy of the game to replace the cracked one, and paid my return shipping so he didnt get the mark against him, it is ALWAYS a good idea to contact the seller first before resorting to filing a dispute. atleast i think so anyway.[/quote]

seriously. what did he think i meant when i said contact the seller. like send him a text message or maybe an IM? lol. of course i meant through ebay... ~_~

bread's done
Back