Box office thread #3 Weekend of 03/10/06 Who's #1?

Danro

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
Congratulations to last weeks sole winner Captaincold for taking the time to stop harrassing The Flash and voting for the number one movie at the box office last week: Madea's Family Reunion. Here are the movies opening this weekend 03/10/06:

The Hills Have Eyes
Director: Alexandre Aja
Stars: Ted Levine, Kathleen Quinlan, Dan Byrd
Studio: Fox Searchlight Pictures

The Plot: Deep in the desert, mutated savages ensare and prey upon a vacationing family.

Failure to Launch
Director: Tom Dey
Stars: Matthew McConaughey, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kathy Bates
Studio: Paramount Pictures

The Plot: A mom and dad set their son (McConaughey) up with the perfect-girlfriend-for-hire (Parker) in a plot to get him to finally move out of their home.

The Libertine
Director: Laurence Dunmore
Stars: Johnny Depp, Samantha Morton, John Malkovich
Studio: The Weinstein Company LLC

The Plot: In life, John Wilmot (Depp), a.k.a. the Earl of Rochester, drank and debauched his way to an early grave; in death, the work of this 17th century poet won universal acclaim.

The Shaggy Dog
Director: Brian Robbins
Stars: Tim Allen, Kristin Davis, Craig Kilborn
Studio: Buena Vista Pictures

The Plot: While investigating the goings-on at an animal laboratory, workaholic deputy district attorney Dave Douglas (Allen) is accidentally infected with a serum that turns into a sheepdog. Now privy to his family's wishes and true feelings, Dave gets more and more desperate to return to being a dad, not a dog.

Evil [limited]
Director: Mikael Håfström
Stars: Andreas Wilson, Henrik Lundström, Gustaf Skarsgård

The Plot: Expelled from his high school for fighting, Erik (Wilson) is sent to live at the prestigious Stjärsnberg Academy, a school Erik soon learns isn't run by its headmaster, but rather a cabal of affluent, sadistic students.

Ask the Dust [limited]
Director: Robert Towne
Stars: Colin Farrell, Salma Hayek
Studio: Paramount Pictures

The Plot: In Depression-era Los Angeles, Arturo (Farrell), an aspring writer, is transfixed by Camilla (Hayek), a barmaid caught in a downward spiral.

The Zodiac [limited]
Director: Alexander Bulkley
Stars: Justin Chambers, Robin Tunney, Rory Culkin
Studio: ThinkFilm

The Plot: In the Bay Area, a small town police detective (Chambers) and his son (Culkin) become obsessed with the infamous Zodiac Killer, threatening the safety of their entire family in the process.

Current Top Ten:
(dollar figures are weekend/gross)

1. Madea's Family Reunion $13M/$48.1M
2. 16 Blocks $11.7M/$11.7M
3. Eight Below $10.3M/$58.8M
4. Ultraviolet $9M/$9M
5. Aquamarine $7.5M/$7.5M
6. The Pink Panther $7M/$69.8M
7. Block Party $6.52M/$6.52M
8. Date Movie $5.12M/$40.7M
9. Curious George $4.4M/$49.2M
10. Firewall $3.6M/$42.5M

Link to thread #2:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86355
Thanks to IMDB

I think I might have to redeem myself this weekend :D. Who will be number one at the box office this weekend?

My guesses have been shakey so far but I'm feeling confident about these next two weeks. I'm gonna go with "The Hills Have Eyes" this go around. And I'm already calling "V For Vendetta" for next week.

I wanted to vote for The Hills Have Eyes because I LOVED High Tension, which is by the same director: Alexandre Aja, but since High Tension didnt do so well either I had to vote for The Shaggy Dog. Although I probably shouldnt count out Madea (again).

[quote name='Ugamer_X']Failure to Launch, no contest.[/QUOTE]
i second that. people love their romantic comedies. and don't forget all the women who miss sex and the city, now they can get their sarah jessica parker fix.

high tension had some major story flaws, something that they will hopefully avoid with doing a remake. the hills have eyes gets second place.

[quote name='darkmere']i second that. people love their romantic comedies. and don't forget all the women who miss sex and the city, now they can get their sarah jessica parker fix.

high tension had some major story flaws, something that they will hopefully avoid with doing a remake. the hills have eyes gets second place.[/QUOTE]

Im hoping it isnt possible at all to screw up the story in THHE, then again no movie can translate flawlessly.

I voted for Failure to launch, also. It's has to beat madea. and this should be in the Vbookie section, cause I'll bet cash on this.

I voted for The Shaggy Dog... but I forgot that The Hills Have Eyes opens, too -- any time there is a horror movie opening over the weekend, it's usually number one.

However, I still think there's a chance The Shaggy Dog could hit number one.

It had better be the Hills Have Eyes since I'm staying up till 1am to screen it tonight. It could go to the Shaggy Dog or once again Madea at the theater I work at, but we are also getting two showings (one is a shaq-fuing midnight show!) of V for Vendetta this Thursday so you never know how that might do.

[quote name='Tyga24']I think Failure to Launch will win.[/QUOTE]
I was gonna reply with "It's not a contest.", but then I realized it in fact probably is.

So carry on, my wayward Tyga.

bread's done
Back