Box Office thread #6 weekend of 04/07/06 our first 3peats!

Danro

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
We have a first in this weeks poll: I AM WILLIAM H MACY, Lice, and Darkmere are all the first CAG's to choose number one movies 3 of the last 5 polls. Congratulations to them. Also a HUGE congratulations to the 42 CAG's who chose Ice Age: The Meltdown as number one this past weekend, including quite a few repeat pickers who have racked up 2 number ones, you've got some catching up to do to Bill and Lice :D.

On to this weekends new releases at the box office. Remember to vote who you think will be number one money wise the weekend of 04/07/06 and ending 04/09/06. Feel free to discuss both current and new releases as well.

The Benchwarmers
Director: Dennis Dugan
Stars: David Spade, Jon Heder, Rob Schneider
Studio: Sony Pictures Releasing

The Plot: In an attempt to right things from their respective childhoods, Ritchie (Spade), Clark (Heder), and Gus (Schneider) form a three-player baseball team to compete against standard little league squads.

Phat Girlz
Director: Nnegest Likké
Stars: Mo'Nique, Kendra C. Johnson
Studio: Fox Searchlight Pictures

The Plot: An aspiring plus size fashion designer (Mo'Nique) struggles to find love and acceptance.

Take the Lead
Director: Liz Friedlander
Stars: Antonio Banderas, Rob Brown, Yaya DaCosta
Studio: New Line Cinema

The Plot: A former professional dancer (Banderas) volunteers to teach dance in the New York public school system. While his background first clashes with his students' tastes, together they create a completely new style of dance.

Lucky Number Slevin
Director: Paul McGuigan
Stars: Josh Hartnett, Ben Kingsley, Morgan Freeman
Studio: Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM)

The Plot: A case of mistaken identity lands a man (Hartnett) in the middle of a murder being plotted by two of the city's most rival crime bosses: The Rabbi (Ben Kingsley) and The Boss (Morgan Freeman). Adding more tension to his situation is the presence of a relentless detective (Tucci) and an assassin (Willis) who are both out to get him.

Friends with Money [limited]
Director: Nicole Holofcener
Stars: Jennifer Aniston, Frances McDormand, Catherine Keener
Studio: Sony Pictures Classics

The Plot: After she quits her lucrative job, Olivia (Aniston) finds herself unsure about her future and her relationships with her rich-and-successful friends (McDormand, Cusack, and Keener).

On a Clear Day [limited]
Director: Gaby Dellal
Stars: Peter Mullan, Brenda Blethyn, Billy Boyd
Studio: Focus Features

The Plot: A middle-aged shipyard engineer (Mullan) looks to improve things for himself, and for his family, by swimming the English Channel.

When Do We Eat? [limited]
Director: Salvador Litvak
Stars: Lesley Ann Warren, Michael Lerner, Shiri Appleby
Studio: ThinkFilm

The Plot: A family's Passover gets screwy after the patriarch (Lerner) unknowingly ingests a hit of Ecstasy and subsequently tries to unite his squabbling brood.

Link to thread #5
Thanks to the IMDB

Tops at the box office as of 04/02/06:
(dollar figures are weekend/total gross)

1. Ice Age: The Meltdown $68M/$68M
2. Inside Man $15.4M/$52.5M
3. ATL $11.6M/$11.6M
4. Failure to Launch $6.46M/$73.1M
5. V for Vendetta $6.3M/$56.7M
6. Stay Alive $4.51M/$17.3M
7. She's the Man $4.43M/$26.6M
8. Slither $3.88M/$3.88M
9. The Shaggy Dog $3.24M/$53.6M
10. Basic Instinct 2 $3.2M/$3.2M

I voted for Ice Age: The Meltdown.

My second guess would probably be Phat Girlz. Or maybe Take the Lead, since it looks corny as Hell and has the "this looks familiar" kind of feel to it (because it does, and has been made numerous times).

(I'd like to point out that my guesses don't necessarily reflect motion picture quality.)

I am REALLY pulling for The Benchwarmers to get some positive reactions this weekend, seeing as how I dont want Jon Heder's career to take a nose dive by associating himself with Adam Sandler and his cronies. But, ive seen Take the Lead trailers in quite a few DVD's ive rented, so theres no denying its saturation among movie goers. I voted Take the Lead to take the lead so to speak. Although its going to be close between it and Ice Age, if not Ice Age taking the lead.

Ice age 2 will "win" again.

Number two will be ATL, this movie has leg's & TI sold over half a million copies of his "KING" cd this past week.

Tough call this week. Benchwarmers, Slevin, Ice Age, and Inside Man all have a chance. I think Inside Man might gain some major momentum but not enough to top the rest of the movies. I think I will go with Ice Age for the repeat.

[quote name='Danro']We have a first in this weeks poll: I AM WILLIAM H MACY and Lice are both the first CAG's to choose number one movies 3 of the last 5 polls. Congratulations to them both. Also a HUGE congratulations to the 42 CAG's who chose Ice Age: The Meltdown as number one this past weekend, including quite a few repeat pickers who have racked up 2 number ones, you've got some catching up to do to Bill and Lice :D.[/QUOTE]
check your old threads...i'm now 3-0. i didn't participate in the first two polls, but since starting i've been able to pick the winner three times straight.

anyway, now that i'm done ranting, i'm going with ice age for a second time. everything else seems like crap, so the family film will reign supreme for another week.

I picked bench warmers because movie goers love to see retards running around for some reason. I'm going to be seeing Slevin tho.

[quote name='darkmere']check your old threads...i'm now 3-0. i didn't participate in the first two polls, but since starting i've been able to pick the winner three times straight.

anyway, now that i'm done ranting, i'm going with ice age for a second time. everything else seems like crap, so the family film will reign supreme for another week.[/QUOTE]

My sincerest appologies Darkmere, I will add your name to the 3peaters list ASAP, and hopefully to the quad list as soon as Monday rolls around. I see Bill Macy and Lice have also casted their votes.

Also a small announcement, I have decided that once a month the Box Office poll will be moved to the contest section and the person who chooses the winning movie will win a DVD courtesy of moi. In the case of a tie, I will draw a name at random and that person will get a DVD. Just my way of giving back to the community. Maybe somethin for the person who picks the most by year end as well? We shall see.

thanks for the correction. i wouldn't normally complain, but i felt like i deserved some kind of recognition for choosing that failure to launch crap. vendetta and ice age were practically gimmes.

Top Box Office [SIZE=-1] Last Updated 04/09/2006[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]1. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Ice Age: The Meltdown[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]2. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]The Benchwarmers[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]3. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Take the Lead[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]4. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Inside Man[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]5. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Lucky Number Slevin[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]6. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Failure to Launch[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]7. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ATL[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]8. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]V for Vendetta[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]9. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Phat Girlz[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]10. [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Thank You for Smoking[/SIZE]fucking "Benchwarmers". It only came in 2nd because of Jon Heder. At least I got the 1st place movie correct.

Is there a way to view the results of all the polls I've voted in? I'm curious to see my record in the movie polls to date.

Yeah, just click on any number in the poll and it will show you who voted for what, plus I always include links to past polls so you can verify where you are so far this year. Thanks Shier for updating with the results, guess its time for a new poll!

Danro, i actually got a chance to go back and check out the other polls and I've picked correctly since Failure to Launch which gives me a 4 weeks in a row of correct picks including this past weekend. Overall I'm 4-2 after going 0-2 in the first 2 weeks.

[quote name='Tyga24']Danro, i actually got a chance to go back and check out the other polls and I've picked correctly since Failure to Launch which gives me a 4 weeks in a row of correct picks including this past weekend. Overall I'm 4-2 after going 0-2 in the first 2 weeks.[/QUOTE]

What would I do without you guys to remind me? Bill and Lice who? :D

bread's done
Back