"Boxed" or "New" NES/Genesis/etc finds- thoughts?

RenoTurk11

CAGiversary!
Hello guys,
I've been doing well so far buying low and reselling stuff at decent prices. One thing I have not grasped totally yet is how much value to place on a game with the original box vs cart only and "new".
Video game price charting doesn't differeniate between CIB and cart only so I've been having some trouble figuring out how much value boxes and manuals increase the value.

For instance, I've passed on 3 game lots so far this year and they are still "haunting" me a bit because I feel like I passed up on CIB lots just because they were asking more than I usually will pay for stuff *usually I don't find CIB*

I found one lot of 25 CIB NES games along with the NES console and controllers. Mega Man 4 was one of the games in the lot. He was asking for $80, I got him down to $65 then, after researching a bit decided to pass on it. He reposted it and took it down literally about 20 minutes later. He said someone else bought it for $80. I am kicking myself because I probably should of bought that CIB lot since CIB NES games aren't seen as frequently.
What is the amount of typical additional value you guys set when trying to resell or collect on games CIB? I think I passed up on a good one here and I was in the driver's seat this time. All the rest of the games were commons but all CIB, such as Mickey Masquerade, Sports games, bayou billy, etc. Nothing besides MM4 really interested me which is why I passed.

Another lot I didn't even get a chance to bid on was a guy listed on Craigslist: SNES console and 24 CIB SNES Games, one of which, Final Fight was factory sealed. I wanted the lot, he was only asking for $125 but some guy literally picked it up about 10 minutes after I saw the ad (ad was posted about 20 minutes prior to my viewing it).

CIB stuff never seems to last long and I definitely am kicking myself on the NES lot.

Sorry for such a long thread but was curious to see what you guys usually do when you see CIB. Do you have an easier time reselling it? Or are they so "nice" that its hard to resell them?

CIB games are fueled by resellers.

They probably pass lots of hands before settling in a home.

My motto is I just want to play and collect the games loose or in its cheapest state. Id rather have my money in the bank then paying high premiums to have a game complete.

I used to be like that though. Like OMGZ my game is missing the manual now I have to buy it again. If you let that OCD take over you'll spend a lot of doh.

My rule is to pick up any CIB if it's a good title and they're only asking cart-only prices. Even the most common CIB is usually worth $5-8, working SNES and NES consoles can pull around $35 each--so if you see a bulk lot which is all CIB at $3-4 per piece, it's usually worth picking up. All you need is two or three decent titles and you've made your money back.

I passed on the entire boxed set of Mega Man 1-6 on the NES and Mega Man 1-5 on the GB for $500 because I didn't think the NES games were worth that much (as the NES ones were re-released) and accordingly figured the GB versions wouldn't be worth much either. Plus I had my money tied up on pre-orders.

A month later, I see a complete copies of the GB Mega Man IV go for $500 and V go for $700.:whistle2:/

I also missed out on a lot of complete SNES RPGs (CT, FFIII, Earthbound- with everything!, and lots more) plus a bunch of other loose items on eBay for $700. I missed by 2 fucking minutes... literally. I found it in a search and when I clicked the link, the auction showed up as ended. The auction was up for an entire day with a BIN of $700... arguably my biggest miss since I was looking to pick up on some SNES RPGs I've always wanted.

I've lucked out on a few smaller scores but nothing near that caliber. Those two will always sit on my mind.:whistle2:(

[quote name='needler420']CIB games are fueled by resellers.

They probably pass lots of hands before settling in a home.

My motto is I just want to play and collect the games loose or in its cheapest state. Id rather have my money in the bank then paying high premiums to have a game complete.

I used to be like that though. Like OMGZ my game is missing the manual now I have to buy it again. If you let that OCD take over you'll spend a lot of doh.[/QUOTE]

It's really not all that different to want complete copies then, going by your motto. Some people just like having the original boxes/paperwork, some don't. I get that the box/manual has no impact on the game but it's really preference.

I mean, you could argue that if the game is all that mattered to you, then you can find easier and much more illegal ways to play them. I mean, it's not like game companies are making any money from you buying used copies... the re-sellers are.

I generally like having the box and manual more than the game. I guess it goes along with me liking memorabilia stuff rather than the games themselves.

I wouldn't say they are all fueled by resellers, some people just like having complete stuff. Though I do resell duplicates on boxed games whenever I find them.

I have a pretty good boxed/complete collection. For the SNES I have like 30 games. Most of them being good stuff like Secret of Mana, Zelda, Chrono Trigger, etc.

For the NES I have a much bigger complete collection. I have about 350 boxed NES games with some real good ones (Princess Tomato, Little Samson, Panic Restaurant, etc.)

[quote name='Dokstarr']I generally like having the box and manual more than the game. I guess it goes along with me liking memorabilia stuff rather than the games themselves.

I wouldn't say they are all fueled by resellers, some people just like having complete stuff. Though I do resell duplicates on boxed games whenever I find them.

I have a pretty good boxed/complete collection. For the SNES I have like 30 games. Most of them being good stuff like Secret of Mana, Zelda, Chrono Trigger, etc.

For the NES I have a much bigger complete collection. I have about 350 boxed NES games with some real good ones (Princess Tomato, Little Samson, Panic Restaurant, etc.)[/QUOTE]

For the love of god, please post your collection in the collection thread!

[quote name='Dokstarr']For the NES I have a much bigger complete collection. I have about 350 boxed NES games with some real good ones (Princess Tomato, Little Samson, Panic Restaurant, etc.)[/QUOTE]

:drool:

bread's done
Back