Brain Age 1 or 2, Elite Beat Agents...Which to Get?

WrestleCrap'sRD

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
I'm kicking around getting my wife a DS game for Christmas. She doesn't play a lot of games, but will occasionally play stuff on the Wii and the DS. She actually likes playing Madden of all things with me! But slower based stuff.

She really loved Bust A Groove on the PS1, and Space Channel 5 on the Dreamcast. She also like Soduku type stuff. So I am kicking around getting her one of the Brain Age games or maybe Elite Beat Agents. Any thoughts as to what might be best? I've played none of these, so any advice would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

RD

Well, I really wasn't a big fan of EBA (Shoot me now...)
Brain Age is fun, but there are few minigames

I will recommend Pheonix Wright. I'm not sure if your wife likes reading, but if she does, it is perfect. It's almost like a story book coming to life, but you can interact, and it's a lot of fun.

I'd go Brain Age 1. Liked the games in it better, and both it and the sequel have Suduko which is great.

I hated EBA. Don't think it's much of a casual gamer game either. Could be to some extent since it's simple, but it so quirky (read nerdy) that I can imagine many non-gamers digging it much.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with some people from this thread, Elite Beat Agents is awesome and everyone who I've let play it has loved it. These are people that don't normally play games, too.

Get her New Super Mario Bros. Great single player, and Mario-Party type multiplayer modes, my mom loves this for the mini-games alone.

Out of the two mentioned, I'd say EBA. EBA is harder to pick-up, maybe you can buy it and share. If you haven't played, it's a worthwhile gamble.

Also, Bust-A-Move DS can be had for under $20. My sister thought it was the gayest thing she'd ever seen, then proceeded to play the Puzzle Mode for hours. Something like Clubhouse Games may be a good way to go as well, a lot of the games should already be familiar(safe).

Any of that, or the guaranteed hot buttsecks deal sounds good.

Really, the Brain Ages and EBA are both backbones of the DS. Brain Age's minigames average out to be very good in both titles, and EBA is just awesome, especially for a Space Channel 5 fan. If she liked SC5, she'll enjoy EBA.

Brain Age 1 is a better introduction, but BA2 is more refined. Both have elegant sudoku, the best on the DS.

Trying to slice this down the middle is difficult though. Really tough. If you're already dropping $130-ish for the DS and a game, I'd go ahead and double up, get a Brain Age, either one works, and EBA.

I know you didn't mention this game in your list, but another game she would probably like is Picross DS. If she loves Sudoku (my wife loved playing Sudoku in Brain Age 1), she'll probably like Picross as well. I pretty much bought my wife her own DSL because she played Picross on my DS so much.

Thanks, everyone - looks like a range of opinions here. One thing mentioned was Phoenix Wright...I know there are two or three of them, which one is the best? And would they be good for someone who is not a hardcore gamer?

RD

brain age 2 chicks love that shit. the game is ok for a while but after youve unlocked everything for me there wasnt much left to do but most women seem to really like doing those tests over and over that and sudoku.

Definitely get her both Brain Age games, and look into Big Brain Academy, Picross DS and Planet Puzzle League.

Start with Phoenix Wright 1.

Phoenix Wright games are for anyone who enjoys a good story. There's more talky and readingy than brain-bendy.

Whoah, I just noticed you're one of the doods behind Wrestlecrap. Awesome!

i know this isn't an option but my gf plays big brain academy (ds and wii) a lot. she prefers it heavily compared to brain age.

she played elite beat agents for a while but didn't really bother past the first difficulty setting. other games that she likes are bust a move and ddr so perhaps her tastes are not the same as your wife's (space channel 5 and bust a groove).

WrestleCrap'sRD;3607376 said:
Thanks, everyone - looks like a range of opinions here. One thing mentioned was Phoenix Wright...I know there are two or three of them, which one is the best? And would they be good for someone who is not a hardcore gamer?

RD

The Phoenix Wright games should be played sequentially, at least in my opinion. So get her the first game to start.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Start with Phoenix Wright 1.

Phoenix Wright games are for anyone who enjoys a good story. There's more talky and readingy than brain-bendy.

Whoah, I just noticed you're one of the doods behind Wrestlecrap. Awesome![/QUOTE]

Thanks. And yes, me would be RD Reynolds, head goof over there...

RD

EBA is a fantastic game, one of the best on the system. But it's definitely not easy, and I could see someone getting frustrated with it pretty easily.

Phoenix Wright is a great series as well, but buy them(or at least play them) in the proper order, as it's really one continuous story and the later games are full of spoilers for the earlier ones(for example, if you played #3 first, almost everything that happens in the first two manages to come up in some way or another).

Both Brain Ages are good as well, but they don't tend to last long. The main game you really don't ever play for more than 10 minutes or so a day. The best part is the sudoku, and they really are both worth buying just for the sudoku, but Picross is definitely a better buy. Picross has tons of puzzles, is strangely addictive, and has new puzzles being added as downloadable content fairly frequently.

[quote name='pygmy carnotaur']EBA is a fantastic game, one of the best on the system. But it's definitely not easy, and I could see someone getting frustrated with it pretty easily. [/quote]

Heh, Space Channel 5 never pulled punches either.

Both Brain Ages are good as well, but they don't tend to last long. The main game you really don't ever play for more than 10 minutes or so a day. The best part is the sudoku, and they really are both worth buying just for the sudoku, but Picross is definitely a better buy. Picross has tons of puzzles, is strangely addictive, and has new puzzles being added as downloadable content fairly frequently.

Well, the main game of the Brain Ages is pretty solid though. You'll get tired of it, yes, but you'll get your money's worth on that end, even as you work through the Sudoku.

Picross is a superb puzzle game though, and it might be worth seeing the wife get addicted to it, and she will.

bread's done
Back