Brain Age 2!

Hmm, I'm gonna wait until I hear something official before I get excited about this, but this is potentially awesome news. Nice heads up!

From NeoGaf

Full press release:

16th May 2007. Training your brain became a worldwide activity following the launch of Dr Kawashima’s Brain Training: How Old Is Your Brain? in Europe last summer. This continued into 2007 and now over 10 million people globally are currently including it in their daily lives. But, as with any exercise, continual training is required to help stay active and now you can keep on training your brain with the second instalment in the Brain Training franchise, More Brain Training from Dr Kawashima: How Old Is Your Brain? Featuring all new exercises and DS Brain Age Checks, this is set to challenge even the most trained brains as it launches across Europe on 29th June 2007.

Dr Kawashima’s Brain Training: How Old Is Your Brain? has been enjoyed by people of all ages, including those who would not normally be associated with video games. Inspired by the research of renowned Japanese neuroscientist Dr Kawashima, this original title and the soon to launch More Brain Training are designed to help stimulate your brain and challenge memory, math and perception skills. Users can train their brain by exercising for just a few minutes each day, whether on the go or when relaxing.

More Brain Training from Dr Kawashima: How Old Is Your Brain? uses the same format as its predecessor. Held like a book, you are invited to use the unique and intuitive touch screen and microphone features of the Nintendo DS as you take 5 - 10 minutes a day to help your brain stay active with challenging new exercises. All exercises contained in the software are based on easy to execute mathematical, cognitive and language-based tasks. The DS Brain Age Check measures the speed and accuracy with which you perform simple tasks to establish your DS Brain Age. Once this is established you will be set a regime to help stimulate your brain. The DS Brain Age Check allows you to see your progress on the inbuilt calendar.

The DS Brain Age Checks take on a new form in this title as you’re tested on three randomly selected exercises including old school classic Rock, Paper, Scissors which asks you to name the position to either win or lose against the object shown, Memorising 5x5 which sees you remembering the position of numbers on screen and Speedy Symbols which challenges your memory of symbols associated with specific numbers.

More Brain Training from Dr Kawashima: How Old Is Your Brain? features fun new training exercises including Correct Change which challenges you on an everyday day task - to work out the right amount of money to hand back after a transaction as quickly as possible, Missing Symbols, a twist on the classic ‘20 calculations’ test, and Masterpiece Recital which invites you to follow a music sheet shown on one screen and touch the corresponding piano keys on the touch screen. As your daily training continues, additional new exercises are unlocked, opening up a variety of new activities with varying levels of difficulty.

With More Brain Training you can also play with your family and friends. Using a single game card, two to sixteen players can participate in four different exercises together. Challenge each other to Word Scramble, Memorise 5x5 or Correct Change to see who reigns in the worlds of math, memory and perception. Three to sixteen players can also compete in a picture quiz to test each others artistic skills, where players score the other drawings to find a winner.

Making a welcome return to this new title is the popular numbers game, sudoku. Featuring three difficulty levels from Basic to Intermediate to Advanced, there are over a hundred puzzles to keep you occupied!

More Brain Training from Dr Kawashima: How Old Is Your Brain? launches across Europe on 29th June 2007 at the estimated retail price of around €30 (£19.99 in the UK).

If we don't get a us release date confirmed I just might pick up a copy in europe since I'll be there from the 27th of May to the 8th of July

Isnt there a second Brain Age game already? I swear I have two of them. The second one is still sealed, which is why Im not to clear on it, but I swear I have 2 brain games from Nintendo for the DS.

[quote name='Puffa469']Isnt there a second Brain Age game already? I swear I have two of them. The second one is still sealed, which is why Im not to clear on it, but I swear I have 2 brain games from Nintendo for the DS.[/quote]

In the US, the two Nintendo brain games are Brain Age and Big Brain Academy.

[quote name='lebowsky']In the US, the two Nintendo brain games are Brain Age and Big Brain Academy.[/quote]

Ahhh thank you! Those are the two I have, I just couldnt remember the name of the second one. Clearly I dont play them enough. ;)

Cool this is coming out, but the novelty of the first Brain Age lasted about 2 weeks for my wife and I. Haven't touched it since.

I'm afraid if I turned it on now, the Professor will say "Where the fuck have you been? It's been 1 year since you've played!!!"

[quote name='grendel19']Cool this is coming out, but the novelty of the first Brain Age lasted about 2 weeks for my wife and I. Haven't touched it since.

I'm afraid if I turned it on now, the Professor will say "Where the fuck have you been? It's been 1 year since you've played!!!"[/quote]

Ive been avoiding that guy for some time now...

[quote name='grendel19']Cool this is coming out, but the novelty of the first Brain Age lasted about 2 weeks for my wife and I. Haven't touched it since.[/quote]

Same here, except for the occasional game of Sudoku.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']Will this one recognize me yelling "BLUE", and my lazily drawn eights?[/quote]

haha you have that problem with blue as well :O

my first impression of this is I like big brain academy better maybe its just the learning curve on this one is just way steeper than than that one and given I never played the orginal brain age I'm at a detriment. It just dosen't seem "as" enjoyable :/.

YES! Picked this up from CC for $15... I love this series. All the minigames are quality - I can see the competition for top scores already. Now where's the sequel to BBA for DS?

-Dr. Ugly

This one is a lot harder than the first one. Also, and maybe this is just me, but some of the games are basically unplayable. There's one game where they give you a number, and you have to look at a chart to find the symbol that matches the number and draw it. That one goes about as well as expected- after 3 minutes of drawing the symbol over and over again and the game still not recognizing it, I gave up on ever playing that one.

On the other hand, some of the other games are fun. I definitely prefer the Rock/Paper/Scissors game in this one to the Stroop test from the first, and there are some other really good ones as well. Also, this game has an entirely touch screen based version of Dr.Mario(yes, an entire actual game, though Mario is removed and the game is renamed). And it still has lots of sudoku puzzles, which was honestly my favorite part from the first one anyway.

I preordered this with Bioshock for PC, what a freak I am. I also ordered one of those red DS/BA2 bundles for a sister-in-law's Christmas present.

Anyway the main reason I love this game is my wife will play it also. After work I'll play it for a little while, and when she gets home she'll play it some, and then we do other things. It's a nice short routine, and I feel like it makes my brain a little sharper though that could just be because I'm awesome.

I didn't know about the Dr. Mario game. I went to circuit city this morning, but they only had the bundles and not the game itself. My circuit city sucks so I will be picking this game up at another location tommorrow.

bread's done
Back