brand new 360 freezing...

videogamejunkie

CAGiversary!
Just got a new 360 a few days ago and have been playing NFS most wanted. The game has frozen twice on me after challenges when I go to a menu screen. Both times I was playing less than an hour. Both incidents were days apart too. Is it the game or did I get a dud 360?

[quote name='skinsfan56la']You have any other games to test? Without other games you can't really divulge what is causing the problem.[/quote]
Also have you tried any DVD's and CD's? What about the dashboard?
This might just be a NFSMW problem, either way:pray::pray:.

no other disc has been in the drive. Downloaded a bunch of demos and played the prey demo for twice as long as I have been playing the need for speed game (prey really sucks, i was hoping that it would get better the longer i played). ANyone else have freezing problems with NFSMS?

I had a couple freezes while playing Fable. I blamed it on the emulator, though. The stuttering freeze-ups I had during the opening Xbox logo screen were blamed on the wonky deal I had going with the wi-fi adaptor and my router. And then my system died.

It's hard to say what's going on. Maybe it's just a fluke, maybe not. The fact that stuff like that happens at all is enough to give you a heart attack, given all of the horror stories out there. Like F8X indicated, :pray:

[quote name='Brian9824']This is why i'm getting my 360 thru costco in a few days. Lifetime warranty for the win.[/QUOTE]

When you get their packages though, dont you have to return everything?

My first 360 froze up repeatedly in the dash board, demos, and playing Hexic. I didn't even have any 360 games yet to try on it. After two days I couldn't even get to the dashboard, it would lock up on the initial Xbox 360 boot screen.

Needless to say I returned it.

I've never had any problems so far and play NFS:MW and some original xbox games. Do you keep the xbox in a cool enough place? Don't put it in a cabinet. Have you installed the dashboard updates?

[quote name='videogamejunkie']Just got a new 360 a few days ago and have been playing NFS most wanted. The game has frozen twice on me after challenges when I go to a menu screen. Both times I was playing less than an hour. Both incidents were days apart too. Is it the game or did I get a dud 360?[/QUOTE]

Just try closing your windows, or anything that might be open that is close to your 360. Mine kept freezing because we put it next to the fireplace and it's been really cold here lately. I was on level 12 of Mega Man and that thing froze, soo pissed. You might also try using a small space heater, it'll really keep things warm. Hopefully those are some ideas you can run with.

My current 360 we got at christmas. It freezes all the time on NFS Carbon. Sometimes it just locks up, other times I get the dirty disc message but the disc is like brand new.

[quote name='FrankySox']Just try closing your windows, or anything that might be open that is close to your 360. Mine kept freezing because we put it next to the fireplace and it's been really cold here lately. I was on level 12 of Mega Man and that thing froze, soo pissed. You might also try using a small space heater, it'll really keep things warm. Hopefully those are some ideas you can run with.[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping this is a joke?

Yes, mine to froze when playing NFSMW but has also froze playing other titles. I'm sure after many firmware updates and years down the road, M$ will have made a system/console that doesn't crash.

Hope you have a warranty. I don't cuz I got it from GameRush. Simply, one morning I woke up and pressed the power button....3 red lights. :O But it still works fine now after repeatedly pressing the power button on/off.

I think mine froze once or twice during NFS:MW. But I haven't played that game in so long, and I haven't played it on my replacement 360 yet.

I've had similar problems with other games, my NFSMW disc is used so it hangs every once in a while but its all scratched. My oblivion disc was brand new and a christmas gift and I got to play to after the sewers and then the game went to shit and couldn't load my saves. I talked to the online store, the store where my parents bought me the CE of Oblivion which ended up being in Canada and sent it back lol. Have the game and it works fine, it was the disc and I heard of these symptoms on other games over at the xbox forums. My advise, replace your disc, its not the 360 likely, go on a movie marathon as well.

I usually never have consoles freeze on me...actually I dont know if I EVER have since the past few months. I've had my PS2 freeze on me once and my GC once as well... I think its just a fluke or something, cause one of these is fairly new and the other is super old and both work fine. Havent had an issue with a 360 though, so dunno how diff it is.

If I were you I'd exchange it....but I can be picky about that kinda stuff...

Mine is only 2 months old and it has frozen about 3 times play R6- Las Vegas. once offline and twice online. It always happens right after a greanade goes off, and the screen has lot going on at once. My theory is that it overloads it and it just freezes, but who knows. I'd say out of the 50-60 hours I've played Vegas, 3 freezes isn't really that bad, its not acceptable, but not that bad.

i have had 3 games freeze on on me. NFS: MW, NFS: Carbon, and Rainbow Six: Vegas (only during split-screen terrorist hunt though). i have 30+ games and these are the only 3 i have ever had do this. it is pissing me off cause i figured it was something with the terrorist hunt on rainbow six (since this was the first to happen). then i bought carbon collector's edition and it froze on me the same night i opened it. i just bought most wanted last night and it is freezing too. i just cleared the cache and i will see what happens.

I've had my 360 for just under 2 months now and it's frozen 3 times during Rainbow Six (all online), though I've gotten "cannot read disc" errors several times mid-game with Gears of War, R6, and Splinter Cell (I probably average two of those messages per game). The funny thing is; Gears and R6 were both purchased brand new! My copies of FEAR and Oblivion however, are used and have a few mild scuffs, yet I've never gotten disc read errors with them. I think the 360's disc reader is extremely sensitive or something, as I have no idea what's going on. At least I've never had any red lights.

Never had a game freeze in my 360. Then again, I've only put two discs in.

What's the manufacturing date of your 360? It's on the back right of the 360 console. I heard that the earlier ones from 2005 go bad. Mine was made in October 2006.

the first 3 weeks i had my new 360 i kept on getting DRE and freezes during online play for RSV and once or twice on GOW. i exchanged it before my 30 days was up and this xbox hasn't given me any of those problems.

Well I just got kicked out of my game of Saints Row because it just frooze so I checked my email and hey look at this thread! Saints Row is really my worst disc to freeze and its a new copy. The 360's disc reader is like a women's orgasim, a mystery. BAM I said it!^^

Just for the record, I have had a system since November 22, 2005 and I have yet to have a game freeze, so at least SOME of the launch systems were built correctly.

[quote name='captmurphy']Just for the record, I have had a system since November 22, 2005 and I have yet to have a game freeze, so at least SOME of the launch systems were built correctly.[/QUOTE]

That's good to hear man, mines only crapped out once but MS took care of it for me at no cost.

I've only had GOW say dirty disk once. Test Drive Unlimited seems to freeze up frequently but only when online. If you are not connected to Xbox Live it seems to be stable.

It seems like these programmers have gotten really sloppy.

ahahahhahhahhahahahah
hahahahahah
ahahahahha
sorry.
buy the 360 at costco like one cag said already

Nevermind... just saw the sticky thread. Moved it there.

[quote name='hupp']ahahahhahhahhahahahah
hahahahahah
ahahahahha
sorry.
buy the 360 at costco like one cag said already[/quote]
Maybe. Unless they take your HDD back. That would suck.

bread's done
Back