Brand new Optical drives Extremely Slow in new system HELP!

ITDEFX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
Ok, now I have been letting this slide for awhile but after 2 months, it's time to find out what's going on.

Rundown...

Bought a new system in October (quad core), with two LG drives..one is a standard (lightscribe) dvd burner and the other is that LG Super Multi Blue (BR/HD) drive (I think I wasted my money on this :bomb:)

So I am extracting movie VOB's from my dvd's so I can convert them to something my voyager can play... however when I see the drive speed in which it decrypts the movie...it starts off at 2x, then slowly after a few mins goes up to 3x then 4.8x and so on til the decryption is done. My old system would extract at the fast possible speed and you would hear the drive... these drive (both drives) are reading at slower speeds for some strange reason.

When installing games, they take FOREVER (like nearly 30 minutes). My old machine never was this slow on reading data from the drive.

Is this something that VISTA is causing or do you think something in my bios is not set right causing the data read/write speed on the SATA ports to be slow by default? (since the drives are SATA).

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks

It could also be your video card, processor, or ram that are bottlenecking the conversion speed, but if you have a recent machine then it's probably just the drive... Try updating the firmware on the drive, if that doesn't work I would just try another one, they really aren't expensive at all, I bought a SATA samsung one and it works great for under $25. Or just take one from another computer and try it out to see if that changes anything...
Edit: also try looking around the internet, I googled "dvd drive slow" and it came up with a lot of results, people changed some settings on windows or uninstalled the drivers and that fixed it, so it might work for you.

I think it might be because of Vista. My Vista laptop can burn discs very fast but when it comes to ripping music CDs, it's slower than my old XP laptop. Both have drives capable of 48x read speeds (different brands, not sure what)... the XP rips at like 18x while the Vista rips at 6x. I can't speak for DVD rips though.

bread's done
Back