Breaking out into the PC market

StryderOmega

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
So - I have asked the wonderful people at /r/buildapcforme about a decent build that can handle video editing as well as play games such as FFXIV and TES:O. This is what I got for an $800 budget build:

What will you be doing with this PC? Be as specific as possible.
Gaming - want to be able to play FFXIV - Elder Scrolls Online without any issues. Video Editing - May dable a bit in video editing some captured game play from my home consoles as well, so lower processing time = bonus.
What is your maximum budget before rebates/shipping/taxes?
I am looking to spend about $800
When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Very soon - Tax money.
What, exactly, do you need included in the budget? OS, peripherals, wifi, in addition to the tower.
I am thinking the only thing I need is the Tower. I have an OS, peripherals, and a wifi usb device.
Which country will you be purchasing the parts in? If you're in US, do you have a Microcenter?
US - I have a connection to Microcenter (friend lives near one - but would prefer a build without the hassle. . . Unless the deal is one heck of a steal.)
If reusing any parts (including peripherals), what parts will you be reusing? Brands and models are appreciated.
I have a DVD+-RW Drive and that is the only thing I need to really keep from my old PC.
Will you be overclocking? If yes, are you interested in overclocking right away, or down the line? CPU and/or GPU?
No real plans to over clock, as I don't want to spend the money on cooling it down atm. However - I would like to have a case large enough for this option.
If there's any specific features you want/need from the rig, please list them.
USB 3.0 if possible. Kinda want to future proof as much as possible.
Do you have any specific case preferences such as a window or LEDs, or do you have a preference for low-noise components?
Nope.
Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS?
Sure - Windows
CPU Cooler
Cooler Master Vortex Plus 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
$24.99 @ Mwave

Motherboard
ASRock 990FX Extreme3 ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard
$99.99 @ Newegg

Memory
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
$66.99 @ Microcenter

Storage
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
$59.66 @ OutletPC

Video Card
Zotac GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card
$328.99 @ SuperBiiz

Case
NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case
$46.98 @ Best Buy

Power Supply
SeaSonic 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
$79.99 @ Amazon

Other
AMD FX 8320 - Microcenter
$99.99

Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.
$807.58
Now I was wondering what I should do if I increase the budget another $100. Where would the money be better placed?

I honestly think this computer is very capable especially considering what you want to be able to do with it.  The types of games you listed are not very demanding.

However, If you are increasing budget maybe consider an Intel process or 16 GB RAM?

I honestly think this computer is very capable especially considering what you want to be able to do with it. The types of games you listed are not very demanding.

However, If you are increasing budget maybe consider an Intel process or 16 GB RAM?
Agreed that the system should be more than fine for most games but between upgrading to an Intel processor or extra RAM I'd go with the Intel processor. It does seem to make a difference in benchmarks at least. I don't think there's any PC game that I'm aware of that would use 16GB of RAM. 8 should be fine unless you are doing CAD or intensive Photoshop or 3D modeling or something like that.

In fact I built my relatively high end rig with only 8GB RAM. I strictly limited myself to a 2K budget (yeah yeah, my CAG card is revoked) and something had to give because I wanted to squeeze a Shield in there too with that $100 off offer they were doing. After researching if games really needed more RAM I found that they really didn't and I've had zero problems with 8GB of RAM on any games, including demanding ones and including ESO since I was in the beta for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
For benchmarks I can see your point, but wouldn't having an 8 core processor be better for rendering purposes?

IE: Talking Video Editing.

For benchmarks I can see your point, but wouldn't having an 8 core processor be better for rendering purposes?

IE: Talking Video Editing.
There's no games I know of that use 8 cores, I think 4 is the max with a lot still only using two or even one.

For other things though sure the 8 cores might help. It all depends on what you want to do with it primarily. The AMD processor is by no means bad for gaming, it's just that you'll probably squeeze a bit more FPS out of the newer Intel ones.

I have a few pointers. Wait until a sale I've seen a comparable 770 GPU selling for $250 after rebates a month ago. For your price range and availability I would highly suggest using that CPU/mobo combo, your gpu will be maxed out before your CPU is.(bottlenecked) if you want a subtle boost in performance invest the extra funds into a SSD and load your OS and other important programs. Or another option although I don't have experience using them is a hybrid HDD it'll cache your most used programs and reduce load times.

Definitely agree with Fanbygamer, SSD is a very good option, here's a nice deal on a 240GB drive for $120:

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/113400/newegg---240gb-crucial-m500-2.5-sata-iii-internal-solid-state-drive-ssd

I've seen GTX 760's selling for $200 and GTX 770's selling for $280, so you can do much better than that Zotac card. You can spend much less on case and power supply too, here's a couple examples but everything comes down to your preference:

http://slickdeals.net/f/6685024-rosewill-capstone-550-m-550w-80-gold-semi-modular-power-supply-49-99-ar-fs-newegg

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/113392/newegg---corsair-graphite-series-230t-atx-mid-tower-computer-case-in-gray

If you want to spend $800-900, I'd definitely recommend a core i5 and an SSD, but you'd also be fine with an 8320 and a slow hard drive, and could only spend $600-700 on your build if you find stuff on sale.

Definitely agree with Fanbygamer, SSD is a very good option, here's a nice deal on a 240GB drive for $120:

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/113400/newegg---240gb-crucial-m500-2.5-sata-iii-internal-solid-state-drive-ssd

I've seen GTX 760's selling for $200 and GTX 770's selling for $280, so you can do much better than that Zotac card. You can spend much less on case and power supply too, here's a couple examples but everything comes down to your preference:

http://slickdeals.net/f/6685024-rosewill-capstone-550-m-550w-80-gold-semi-modular-power-supply-49-99-ar-fs-newegg

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/113392/newegg---corsair-graphite-series-230t-atx-mid-tower-computer-case-in-gray

If you want to spend $800-900, I'd definitely recommend a core i5 and an SSD, but you'd also be fine with an 8320 and a slow hard drive, and could only spend $600-700 on your build if you find stuff on sale.
I have a few pointers. Wait until a sale I've seen a comparable 770 GPU selling for $250 after rebates a month ago. For your price range and availability I would highly suggest using that CPU/mobo combo, your gpu will be maxed out before your CPU is.(bottlenecked) if you want a subtle boost in performance invest the extra funds into a SSD and load your OS and other important programs. Or another option although I don't have experience using them is a hybrid HDD it'll cache your most used programs and reduce load times.
Thanks for the tips! I am learning my ways around today's techs. (It seems a lot easier than back in the day.)

I have come down to the decision, depending on how much this bill is going to cost me, whatever is left of my refund is going to this rig. So the budget could potentially hike up quite a bit, $800-900 is just the safe bet.

Also, I am eyeing the i7-4770k and an ASUS Maximus VI Hero Mobo.

Still deciding on the case I posted above, the only down side is that it doesn't have any bays for optical drives. Wondering if I should just say fuck it for now, and just purchase an external one down the road, or find a case that includes the optical bays.

I mean, how many games are strictly CD install based anyway that I can't just punch the CD-Key in on steam and download it?

Edit: I only ask the above question for cases of Collector's Editions that I may want to pick up. (Dark Soul's II / ES:O)

Great point about about the optical drive. I borrowed a friends external drive to install my OS and I haven't had to use it again in 1 1/2 years, the funny thing is the last PC my friend built a few months ago we used a USB drive to install everything. The only reason you need one today is burning DVDs or CDs for personal use but I've gone pretty much digital with my PC.

I can vouch for the fx8350 when it comes to gaming but I haven't done any rendering or editing but I'm sure it will keep up just fine. I have my fx8350 OC'd to only 4.4 stable on air paired with a amd 7950 and pretty much smash all games at 1080p on ultra and get 60+ fps on bf4. I'm sure the system you're trying to build will do just fine with anything you throw at it for the next 3 years.

Edit- I oc'd my CPU to 5.0 stable for S & G's but I didn't want to tax my system to much on air so I scaled it down to a respectful 4.4 and have been going strong for over a year.

Still deciding on the case I posted above, the only down side is that it doesn't have any bays for optical drives. Wondering if I should just say fuck it for now, and just purchase an external one down the road, or find a case that includes the optical bays.

I mean, how many games are strictly CD install based anyway that I can't just punch the CD-Key in on steam and download it?

Edit: I only ask the above question for cases of Collector's Editions that I may want to pick up. (Dark Soul's II / ES:O)
One option if you have room in your budget is to purchase a 5.25" USB 3.0 / eSata external enclosure to use with your old CD/DVD drive. Attach it whenever you need to reinstall an OS or CD/DVD game, and since it is hot-swappable / plug & play, you wouldn't need to turn off your computer to install it. You can also swap it out with a hard drive for backup purposes or use it as a portable hard drive, so it had multiple uses.

The cost is about ~$50 for USB 3.0 & eSata, so it may be worth it. Just an idea, good luck!

Also, I am eyeing the i7-4770k and an ASUS Maximus VI Hero Mobo.
That's exactly the mb and cpu I upgraded to recently (about 4 months) and I've been happy with them.

Most PC games these days come with a key you can redeem to some online service and just straight download from there. Even collector's editions, MMOs, Blizzard stuff etc are like this.

Dark Soul's II will be Steamworks and ESO comes with a key and you download everything from the launcher. This is the same even for collector's editions. You can save some downloading with the discs but they are soon outdated anyway and you really don't need them.

That said, you can get a DVD ROM drive for next to nothing so won't hurt to have one.

That's exactly the mb and cpu I upgraded to recently (about 4 months) and I've been happy with them.

Most PC games these days come with a key you can redeem to some online service and just straight download from there. Even collector's editions, MMOs, Blizzard stuff etc are like this.

Dark Soul's II will be Steamworks and ESO comes with a key and you download everything from the launcher. This is the same even for collector's editions. You can save some downloading with the discs but they are soon outdated anyway and you really don't need them.

That said, you can get a DVD ROM drive for next to nothing so won't hurt to have one.
Thanks for the pro tip! I think I will leave out the optical drive for now.

Also - the MB obviously supports USB OS installs, right?

Thanks for the pro tip! I think I will leave out the optical drive for now.

Also - the MB obviously supports USB OS installs, right?
Yes it can boot from USB. Though again DVD-ROMs and burners can be had for very cheap, $20 or less even, so you won't save much by not getting one.

Yes it can boot from USB. Though again DVD-ROMs and burners can be had for very cheap, $20 or less even, so you won't save much by not getting one.
I am a CAG, and I do have a flash drive already! :p

Ok, so my Tax refund fell thru as of right now. (Damn Student Loan default that I am currently paying off and didn't expect to take my money.)

Aaaanyway, so I went ahead and made a new budget for myself as of long term.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X40 98.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($88.54 @ Microcenter)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver Arctic Alumina 5g Thermal Paste ($7.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($180.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($81.97 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card ($762.32 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT H440 ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Pro Platinum 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Razer Ouroboros Wireless Laser Mouse ($125.55 @ NCIX US)
Total: $2126.30
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-07 10:13 EST-0500)

How should I go about purchasing things if I am piecing it out. (Remember - long term build)

I figure I should leave the GPU for last as that is the most likely to have a new iteration before anything else. Should I start with the chassis first and work my way around the inside?

If you're not in a hurry, just go by whatever comes up on sale or rebate first.  Once you get the parts, sans GPU, you can test the rest of your components with the 4770k's integrated graphics in the mean time (the mobo selected has hdmi so you are good to go).

Order of Immediacy:

First: CPU, MOBO, RAM, PSU  - you can test all of these components first without anything else, if you have a spare hard drive around.  Stock cooler should suffice until you order your CPU cooler / Thermal Compound.

Second: Case, SSD, HDD, CPU Cooler, Thermal Compound

Third: Mouse, GPU

Honestly? I think the price to performance ratio for the 780TI is pretty bad but if you simply must have the latest and greatest then go for it.

Honestly? I think the price to performance ratio for the 780TI is pretty bad but if you simply must have the latest and greatest then go for it.
It is my garuntee that I don't have deal with any frame shenanigans at 1080p. Also, I like the idea of getting that EVGA splitter to do tri-monitor setup with one card without a problem. Of course, this is all down the line.

Whoa, how did the budget go from $800 to $2,000 when you found out you had less money? I'm assuming you're just joking. lol

If you're playing on a 1080p monitor, a $300 GTX 770 will play games maxed out, and almost every component listed offers terrible price to performance ratio. Even if money was no factor, I'd still recommend building a $600-$1,000 rig, all the high end gear you listed doesn't offer enough advantages. Also, games don't require that much power unless you're getting a 4K TV, in which case, sweet!

Whoa, how did the budget go from $800 to $2,000 when you found out you had less money? I'm assuming you're just joking. lol
If you're playing on a 1080p monitor, a $300 GTX 770 will play games maxed out, and almost every component listed offers terrible price to performance ratio. Even if money was no factor, I'd still recommend building a $600-$1,000 rig, all the high end gear you listed doesn't offer enough advantages. Also, games don't require that much power unless you're getting a 4K TV, in which case, sweet!

Yes I had lost money, but it also made me switch objectives. I original had the idea of instant gratification. Now I am thinking more along the lines of long term build.

So I see what you are saying in which in sounds absolutely ridiculous to more than double my budget, but I make enough money, and since the taxes went to something that originally had me make less money due to a garnishment, I estimate roughly $240 extra a month in my pocket that I originally didn't have.

The problem with long-term is that by the time you assemble all of that stuff there will probably be better alternatives for the same or less so it depends how 'long-term' we're talking about.  A couple months?  A year?  In a year's time the Nvidia 800 series could be out.  You'll have to keep an eye on what comes out in the interim.  Anyway, to address components individually:

CPU: I'd say an i7 isn't really necessary but if you're able to get one at Microcenter pricing, you might as well.  They also offer bundles with motherboards for even better deals.  Again, it's all in-store pickup.

Cooler: You really don't need such a pricey one, especially if you're not really into overclocking.  A $30ish one is fine.

Motherboard: Again, a bit overkill there, too, if you're not hardcore into overclocking.  I'd recommend a Gigabyte UD3H or MSI G45 Gaming at the most.  Asus offers similar priced boards (below their vanity/excessive priced ROG series) but I think they mostly coast on name recognition and aren't as reliable as they were a few years ago.

RAM: As Motoki and others have said, 8 is fine but 16 isn't going to break the bank and may prove useful for certain non-gaming applications.

Storage: Both fine.

Case: Overpriced for flashy looks.  If you want that, fine.  If not I got this one for about $60ish a few weeks ago.

Video card: Overkill on two aspects.  First, EVGA cards aren't really any better than other Nvidia manufacturers and their famed warranty is no longer any better than their competitors.  Moreover, they tend to charge $20-50 more for the same product just because they are EVGA.  Gigabyte, MSI, or Asus make just as good (and arguably better) cooling solutions (and that's the only real difference).  Second, I'd get a base 780 at most.  Even with multi-monitor gaming 780 is more than enough.  You'd just be wasting $300+ for a set of numbers on a page with the practical/noticeable benefit lost on the human eye.

PSU: Again, overkill.  Only reason you'd need a 1,000 watt PSU is if you're going to SLI a couple of 780 cards.  650 is more than fine.  750 is the absolute maximum I'd get.

Mouse: $10 Logitech mouse.  I know people will oooo and ahhhh over these fancy brand name mouses (meeses?!!)... buttah-eeee sm0000v.  But $125... for a mouse?  Bro... bro?  BRO!  Just no.  If you really must have one you can probably find decent fancy brand ones for $40ish.

All told I'd say there's a good $500-600 you'd be throwing into a void just for the sake of creating an objet d'art  without any tangible gains.

The problem with long-term is that by the time you assemble all of that stuff there will probably be better alternatives for the same or less so it depends how 'long-term' we're talking about. A couple months? A year? In a year's time the Nvidia 800 series could be out. You'll have to keep an eye on what comes out in the interim. Anyway, to address components individually:

*Snip*
I have the parts in mind in case that it does happen where Nvidia does happen to release the 800 series (or 900), and which is why the GPU will be the last thing on the list to purchase (besides the mouse and other peripherals).

Yes I know the parts are over kill, and I know the PSU is waaaay over kill, but it is fully modular. It is a good investment for when I do actually want to dual/tri/quad SLI/Xfire down the road. (Way down the road. Talking about possibly another rig after this.)

As far as time frame goes, I roughly figure this build will take me about 4-5 months to complete.

Yes I know the parts are over kill, and I know the PSU is waaaay over kill, but it is fully modular. It is a good investment for when I do actually want to dual/tri/quad SLI/Xfire down the road. (Way down the road. Talking about possibly another rig after this.)
I believe most people who deal with computers would say that you're way off here. You definitely can go with a nice power supply, since that is something you will carry over to your next system, but you are not going to run FOUR 780 ti's in SLI, and likely won't get a 2nd 780 ti. It's okay to future proof, but you have to ask, what's a realistic thing I'm going to do in the future, and what will it cost me today to be ready for it? That power supply is not a good investment.

Here's a 650 W 80plus Platinum power supply for $80 AR, perfect for a 780 ti: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?SID=f2vkIpGrEeOBI_INqyQBHQwIq8_ShLx3_0_0_0&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16817182083&cm_sp=

I went with a core i5($150)/ Extreme4 motherboard($100)/ 8GB ram($50)/ 250gb Samsung Evo SSD($140)/ GTX 770($300)/ $30 case/ $30 power supply, and I'm happy with my $800 computer that maxes out every game I've played at 1080p, but ultimately, do what you want, it's your money, and your project to do what you want with. :)

I believe most people who deal with computers would say that you're way off here. You definitely can go with a nice power supply, since that is something you will carry over to your next system, but you are not going to run FOUR 780 ti's in SLI, and likely won't get a 2nd 780 ti. It's okay to future proof, but you have to ask, what's a realistic thing I'm going to do in the future, and what will it cost me today to be ready for it? That power supply is not a good investment.

Here's a 650 W 80plus Platinum power supply for $80 AR, perfect for a 780 ti: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?SID=f2vkIpGrEeOBI_INqyQBHQwIq8_ShLx3_0_0_0&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16817182083&cm_sp=

I went with a core i5($150)/ Extreme4 motherboard($100)/ 8GB ram($50)/ 250gb Samsung Evo SSD($140)/ GTX 770($300)/ $30 case/ $30 power supply, and I'm happy with my $800 computer that maxes out every game I've played at 1080p, but ultimately, do what you want, it's your money, and your project to do what you want with. :)
Ok, so say for instance I do wind up doing a dual SLI 780ti (or 880ti/980ti), what would be the bare minimum wattage?

Whoa there tiger. You went from a 800 build (though you totally forgot input devices! Decent mouse and keyboard for gaming will run you about $100 for both, though you can start with standard run of the mill mouse and keyboard from monoprice to start for like $20) to a $2200 build. There is no such thing as future proofing a PC gaming build beyond 1-2 years. You simply just don't know what's coming out software and hardware wise. With that being said, your $800 build will run Destiny, Star Citizen and Titanfall just fine, and that's really the cream of the crop coming this year. You can then upgrade your video card and get more HP without upgrading the rest (unless you need a PS upgrade to run the Video Card). I think right now is the renaissance for PC Gaming mainly because the sweet spot for a good PC gaming build is between $600 and $800 and there's simply no need to spend more than that to do hard core PC gaming. If you are joining Team Liquid and serious about PC gaming, don't sweat it because, well your sponsors will pay for everything anyway.

Whoa there tiger. You went from a 800 build (though you totally forgot input devices! Decent mouse and keyboard for gaming will run you about $100 for both, though you can start with standard run of the mill mouse and keyboard from monoprice to start for like $20) to a $2200 build. There is no such thing as future proofing a PC gaming build beyond 1-2 years. You simply just don't know what's coming out software and hardware wise. With that being said, your $800 build will run Destiny, Star Citizen and Titanfall just fine, and that's really the cream of the crop coming this year. You can then upgrade your video card and get more HP without upgrading the rest (unless you need a PS upgrade to run the Video Card). I think right now is the renaissance for PC Gaming mainly because the sweet spot for a good PC gaming build is between $600 and $800 and there's simply no need to spend more than that to do hard core PC gaming. If you are joining Team Liquid and serious about PC gaming, don't sweat it because, well your sponsors will pay for everything anyway.
Reason the original build is missing peripherals is that I already have them. (Minus a good mouse.) I have a Logitech G19 keyboard and a 40" 1080p 120hz Samsung LED TV that I will be using as a monitor for the time being. The mouse is the only peripheral that I would like to upgrade, as it is only a basic wired Microsoft mouse. (Tried and true, lol.) I also have this as my speakers: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch-promedia-2-1-speaker-system-3-piece-black/9382232.p?id=1218095770265&skuId=9382232

It is basically just my tower that needs an overhaul at this point. (It was a pre-built 'bout 6 years ago, but about 1 year in, basically all of the internals that came with it got fried in a power surge through the phone line. Yes, I had dial-up where I lived at the time.)

Ok, so say for instance I do wind up doing a dual SLI 780ti (or 880ti/980ti), what would be the bare minimum wattage?
Minimum wattage would be 750W, and recommended would be 850W. So even if you go wild and sink $1,400 into graphics cards, a $120 power supply would be plenty. Although, we are really arguing about pennies in comparison to what the rest of your computer would likely cost. lol

I think you are falling into the old trap of building PC, especially for new builder.  everyone has a plan to upgrade their PC piece of piece into the ultimate PC, won't happen.  Set a budget, buy your parts now and get it up and running, not the oh, I will do this and that and build it out over the course of 5-6 months like you stated.

your psu is 1/3 of your original budget, what are you going to do? just have a big psu running onboard vid while you save to buy the 780 (which is 100% of your original budget...) or whatever new card that is out in a few months?

You either SLI now or don't, run 3 monitor now or not worry about it currently..   a year or two down the line when you want to do SLI because the 2nd card is older/cheaper, chances are there will be a new card that offer the same performance without needing the power to run 2 cards etc etc.

Are you really going to be doing this? Going to need a 1600p monitor to actually make use of it. You realize a pair of 880ti/990ti on/near release will probably run you $1,400, right? And you're going to be replacing GPU's every other year at that cost?

I think you are falling into the old trap of building PC, especially for new builder. everyone has a plan to upgrade their PC piece of piece into the ultimate PC, won't happen. Set a budget, buy your parts now and get it up and running, not the oh, I will do this and that and build it out over the course of 5-6 months like you stated.

your psu is 1/3 of your original budget, what are you going to do? just have a big psu running onboard vid while you save to buy the 780 (which is 100% of your original budget...) or whatever new card that is out in a few months?

You either SLI now or don't, run 3 monitor now or not worry about it currently.. a year or two down the line when you want to do SLI because the 2nd card is older/cheaper, chances are there will be a new card that offer the same performance without needing the power to run 2 cards etc etc.
This x 1000. With the exception of the PSUs, most components have three year warranties or less. You can't future proof or 'set up' anything for the future.

Are you really going to be doing this? Going to need a 1600p monitor to actually make use of it. You realize a pair of 880ti/990ti on/near release will probably run you $1,400, right? And you're going to be replacing GPU's every other year at that cost?
Yes I am really going to do this, might not be in the exact time frame as stated, give or take a month. The beast will be built tho!

And no, I won't be buying the 880ti/980ti right out of the gate UNLESS it happens to be released, or nearing release, when I come around to buying the card.

I think you are falling into the old trap of building PC, especially for new builder. everyone has a plan to upgrade their PC piece of piece into the ultimate PC, won't happen. Set a budget, buy your parts now and get it up and running, not the oh, I will do this and that and build it out over the course of 5-6 months like you stated.

You either SLI now or don't, run 3 monitor now or not worry about it currently.. a year or two down the line when you want to do SLI because the 2nd card is older/cheaper, chances are there will be a new card that offer the same performance without needing the power to run 2 cards etc etc.
Ho ho, I know the idea of this sounds crazy to vet builders. That Mobo will be slightly out dated / still concurrent if anything. All of these parts will be fine for a couple of years, especially with the 780ti (at least) backing it up. I highly doubt pci express gen 4 will be out this year as most mobos are still sporting the gen 2 set-up.

Plan for the future is to take a step back every year around this time to see if any parts need upgrading. Then form an action plan to get it accomplished. If nothing needs updating, then I will see if it may be in the means of adding to, or buying additional peripherals.

The plan went from asking the CAG community to help you with a budget build to having a blank check and disregarding sound advice from experienced builders on what you can get to accomplish your goals without breaking the bank.  The last few reasonable responses from others have been like asking you to step back from a ledge, but it seems it's falling on deaf ears as you're clearly going to jump off and buy what you're gonna buy regardless. The community here is built around trying to get the best for least amount of money, NOT the best that money can buy.  I'm not sure there is any more advice CAGs can give you other than good luck with your build.

bread's done
Back