Breath of Death VII: The Beginning - Now Available 80MSP($1)!

I kinda wish this was a 400 point full XBLA title, it may be kind of short, but if this game does well I assume MS would give them the opportunity to release a XBLA title.

http://zeboyd.com/2010/03/17/breath-of-death-vii-almost-ready-for-playtesting/

Just a quick note to let everyone know that progress on Breath of Death VII is going well. We’ve got a list of things that need to be finished before releasing the game and we’re fast running out of things to check off. It looks like we’re still on track to put Breath of Death VII into playtesting by the end of the month, with a public XBox Live release next month.

Also, I did some timing & some calculations and it looks like the final game will be pretty close to our goal of providing the average player with 4-6 hours of playtime to complete, if not a little longer. Plus we have some extras to provide some replay value like optional dungeons, a hard difficulty mode, score attack mode, and some sort of achievement-like system.

This just makes me want Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden on the Indie games or XBLA marketplace

*watches trailer*

ooh, this could be good!

Hey, it looks like the game just went into playtesting. So if anyone with an XNA account wants to, they can check it out right now. :)

Sorry for the double post, but the game just went into Peer Review this morning. Hopefully it will be up on the Indie Marketplace by the end of the week! :applause:

Yep this is a must buy & at 80 MSP its a no brainer. Also a side note i've been playing a lot of Indie games off of the market place. There is so many quirky lil games . . . . try out 'Baby Maker Extreme' . . . LOL just try the demo though!!! But for 80 MSP you can launch your baby into the hospital parking lot . . hahaha:applause:

Thanks OP for bringing this game up. it looks somewhat entertaining with the RE4 -Whatcha Buying.

Looks interesting enough and for a dollar to support a somewhat creative indie game? Im in.

Another Indie game did that RE4 merchant reference..SoulCaster? Are these the same guys who made that?

Not that anyone would know off of the top of their head, haha.

[quote name='Yamato']Another Indie game did that RE4 merchant reference..SoulCaster? Are these the same guys who made that?

Not that anyone would know off of the top of their head, haha.[/QUOTE]

Have you played Soulcaster?? I saw it on the marketplace & have been wanting to check it out , so how is it??

[quote name='ninjalunchbox79']Have you played Soulcaster?? I saw it on the marketplace & have been wanting to check it out , so how is it??[/QUOTE]

I've only played the trial. If it was 80 points instead of 240 it would have been a definite buy for me..although I never buy Indie games over 80 anyway..hate that you have to be connected to LIVE to play them.

That being said I haven't played much of it, but it was interesting. You find statues of sealed beings (archers, axe wielders, fire throwers, etc) and your main combat involves summoning copies of them to fight more than fighting yourself. Some light puzzle-solving involved, idk..looked good. Like I said I wouldn't buy though with the raised price..especially with games like Breath of Death being 80 points.

Bought it played it for about 1.5 hours. It's very barebones and sorta fun. I guess I was expecting a little more. It is supposed to be 4-6 hours long. I really wish they had more banter between the characters. The writing is pretty good, but very sparse. The guy who made this also made the 2 text adventure games... Epiphany in Space and.... Molly the werevampire or something???

Soulcaster is really good. Play the demo, if you like the demo you will like the rest of the game.

I just finished playing through this on Normal difficulty earlier this evening. Definitely a no-brainer for the 80 points. I think it took me around 6 hours total with me being pretty thorough in looking for chests scattered throughout, etc. The references to other games throughout were great and the gameplay is actually quite fun (and grinding if you wish to even do it is made quick by choosing the fight option from the menu next to a save where you can just keep restoring your magic points). My only real wish is that it was longer, but hey, it was all of a buck (actually less since I only buy points discounted but hey :p)...

[quote name='Yamato']hate that you have to be connected to LIVE to play them.[/QUOTE]
Wait what? I was thinking about getting this, but since I tend to not have my Xbox connected to Live, now I dunno...

[quote name='utopianmachine']For $1, you're obviously getting your money's worth, but I must say that from watching the trailer, the game world looks so empty.[/QUOTE]

And walking around looks like it takes forever.

[quote name='zer0sfx']And walking around looks like it takes forever.[/QUOTE]

There is a run button, if you are a classic JRPG gamer this game is for you, if you aren't a classic JRPG gamer then there is nothing in this game for you.

Okay, so after reading this thread, I downloaded the trail of the game. The witty writing alone made the game instantly worth it for me, and as soon as the option to unlock the game was presented, I went ahead and bought it.

I so laughed when I entered that room where there's a treasure chest on the other side of the door, and the game said, like, "Somehow, you know there is a treasure chest on the other side of the door. Too bad you'll never be able to get it."

:applause:

If you love and have played old-school RPGs, this game is so for you.

Nice review, Rooster.

So I was going through a cave, got to the save point, then the game crashed on me. I have to redo the dungeon I just went through, and it's one of the big ones. And just when I was about to fight the boss.:bomb:

@ Utopianmachine

I actually had the same exact problem while I was playing last night. Was it in the second graveyard just south of Motherbound (I think..)?

I contacted the developer and he said it is an issue where the game tries to make a battle with 6 enemies, realizes it can't and then crashes. He has an updated version that will be submitted Thursday. Apparently he cant put it up sooner because of MS policies. I would have mentioned it in the review but it seemed like a moot point since the fix is already in the works.

[quote name='Rooster752']I contacted the developer and he said it is an issue where the game tries to make a battle with 6 enemies, realizes it can't and then crashes. He has an updated version that will be submitted Thursday. Apparently he cant put it up sooner because of MS policies. I would have mentioned it in the review but it seemed like a moot point since the fix is already in the works.[/QUOTE]

Glad to know there will be a patch for future players. Odds are, as short as the game is, I may have finished it by the time the patch is up. :)

The trailer got me once I saw what is an undead man, a Miserable pile of secerets.... and Bones....

I love it, if there other tibits like that I'm sold.

[quote name='Denbo32']The trailer got me once I saw what is an undead man, a Miserable pile of secerets.... and Bones....

I love it, if there other tibits like that I'm sold.[/QUOTE]

The second party member parodies the Pokemon Theme if you talk to her via the menu option. Then there was a Link 2 tidbit, among about eight thousand others.

This is the first Indie game that I actually shelled out points for. The "cover art" and intro video (In the year 20XX...) hooked me. The music is also pretty fitting for the game. As everyone else has said here, this game is definitely worth a look for those of us who grew up with this type of game.

I will second the "Nice review, Rooster." The pacing and advertised length of the game is helping me keep up with it. By contrast, I tried playing Phantasy Star for the first time ever (via Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection), and couldn't bring myself to play for more than an hour or two before moving on to something else.

I'm about 1.5 hours into Breath of Death. I'm already looking forward to what the developer comes out with next.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. This is definitely one of the best indie games, but there are others really worth checking out. (look at the other reviews!!) I am going to have a feature "10 must-have indie games" at some point soon.

I think it's the constant bombardment with jokes and references combined with the length that really kept me going. I tried replaying phantasy star 4 a few years ago and there is just no way I could it.

I tried the demo out today and liked it. I haven't bought an indie game yet, this may be the first. It beats buying a stupid hat for my avatar.

[quote name='Draekon']The second party member parodies the Pokemon Theme if you talk to her via the menu option.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the Pokémon reference was pretty great.

[quote name='ghostmedicine']This is the first Indie game that I actually shelled out points for. [/QUOTE]

I'm with you. This is the first Indie game I've purchased.

[quote name='Rooster752'] I am going to have a feature "10 must-have indie games" at some point soon. [/QUOTE]

Looking forward to that article. I would like to get into more Indie games, but I really don't like to shell out money for crap. Call me picky.

I bought this yesterday after trying the demo out. I couldn't believe it was only 80 points and had to get it even though I probably won't play it for a couple weeks.

Very solid game. I'm liking it so far. Glad I chose normal, once I got to the eastern ruins I realized it was a wise decision. I had a feeling the difficulty would be ball busting.

bread's done
Back