Broken DS, not sure what I should do

1NintendoFan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
My DS Lite, my original, has decided to basically stop working. I can usually get to a game, Super Mario Bros for example, I can get all the way into the level and after going a little ways in the level the DS just shuts off. So, I was thinking it was an issue with the battery, I got it shortly after release, and went and picked up a new one today. I tested the DS before changing the battery to make sure it still was doing it and it was. So I change the battery and think it is going to work because I got further into the level and then it shut off again.

I went to Nintendo's website to try and get some suggestions to try but the only option they are giving me is to either have it repaired for $7X or but a new one for $8X or something like that. I have another DS, so I don't really want to spend that much on it, but since no one I know has a DS, I like to have one to play some of the multi-player games when friends and family are over. So I really don't need to have one, but would like to, I just don't want to spend almost as much as a new one on it. If I have to do that I will either buy a new Lite or upgrade to the DSi.

So my questions:

1. Do you have any suggestions I should try before giving up on my DS? I love the system and hate that it is already having issues since I use it rarely, now that I have another and it is always handled very well.

2. I do have a cracked hinge that just seems to have appeared one day. Now, I know that this is a known problem with the DS. When I went on Nintendo's support page they didn't give me the option to have it repaired or replaced, they just gave me a number to call with options. I haven't had a chance to call because I just go home. So I'm wondering if they do the repair for free since it is a known issue and they don't give the other options, or if they are going to just tell me on the phone I have to pay. Also, has anyone sent it in for hinge repair? Do they send back the one you had, or do they replace it? I thought that if they cover the repair on this I might be able to get the other issue fixed this way as well.

I'm a little nervous now because I have this huge backlog of DS games and I'm worried that my other DS is going to stop working now as well.

I appreciate any info you have!

Thanks!!!

[quote name='Kilraven']Quick question:

What color LED(s) is illuminated right before it shuts down?[/QUOTE]

The light stays the lime green color the entire time, like when it has a full charge, it never changes color.

[quote name='Kilraven']Alright. Does the screen flicker any before it shuts down?[/QUOTE]

Nope, when I'm playing everything looks perfect and I will just be going along and bam it shuts down completely. No warning, no signs, nothing, it just shuts off.

It's definitely not a battery issue. It's either something with the power switch (possibly dependent on hand/finger pressure at a specific point in game) or a component failure once the board heats up (vague, I know). I'd ignore the Nintendo site if they're talking $70 for a repair, that means they're replacing the damn motherboard and that's it. I'm certain there are others that can do that just as well (if not better) for less.

[quote name='Kilraven']It's definitely not a battery issue. It's either something with the power switch (possibly dependent on hand/finger pressure at a specific point in game) or a component failure once the board heats up (vague, I know). I'd ignore the Nintendo site if they're talking $70 for a repair, that means they're replacing the damn motherboard and that's it. I'm certain there are others that can do that just as well (if not better) for less.[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for your help. I'm not sure what the issue is at all, so this definitely helps. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I was messing around with it for a little bit to see if I could come up with anything else that might help. I tried first to see what would happen if I just let the system sit, without playing it. I left it sit for two minutes and it stayed on (otherwise I can just get into Mario and then it will shut off) so I thought perhaps it was an issue with gameplay. So, I went into Mario and let it sit on the game for a minute and it stayed on. So then I played the game for a little while with it sitting on the desk, still on. Finally, I picked it up and played and was able to get a little farther than normal, but it shut off right as I jumped on the flag... What I'm noticing is that if I just let the system sit, then it stays on, but when I play for a little while, it shuts off, so I'm thinking it may be an issue with the power switch or something like that as you mentioned.

So, after that I turned it back on to try it again, this time just playing. I was able to get through two and a half levels, plus wasting time on the map until it shut off, again, I usually get into the game, jump a few times and it shuts off. So, I thought I would share that since I just noticed this.

Do you have any recommendations of where I should take the system to see about a repair? I took most of my stuff to a repair shop in Ohio, but I'm thinking by the time I ship it, pay to have it shipped back and pay for repairs, it will be about the cost of a system, on his site he estimates the cost around $65. I believe the only place around me that repairs games, at least that I know of, would be Play N' Trade, but I'm not sure if that is a good option. I've only been in Florida for a short while, so I'm not real familiar with what is around me yet, so any suggestions of where to possibly take it (i.e. chains) or what to look for would be great.

Thanks again for all your help, it is greatly appreciated.

[quote name='1NintendoFan']Do you have any recommendations of where I should take the system to see about a repair? I took most of my stuff to a repair shop in Ohio, but I'm thinking by the time I ship it, pay to have it shipped back and pay for repairs, it will be about the cost of a system, on his site he estimates the cost around $65. I believe the only place around me that repairs games, at least that I know of, would be Play N' Trade, but I'm not sure if that is a good option. I've only been in Florida for a short while, so I'm not real familiar with what is around me yet, so any suggestions of where to possibly take it (i.e. chains) or what to look for would be great.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure about Florida; however, I agree that you'll want to stay local because of shipping expenses. Hopefully some Florida CAGs might know. Whoever you do go through, just make damn sure they warranty their work.

If you want to try a few more things: leave it running in-game for about 5-10 minutes - don't touch it. Power down, let the DS cool for a few minutes, then try to play the game as long as you can without it dying AND without holding/touching the side the power button is on.

[quote name='Kilraven']I'm not sure about Florida; however, I agree that you'll want to stay local because of shipping expenses. Hopefully some Florida CAGs might know. Whoever you do go through, just make damn sure they warranty their work.

If you want to try a few more things: leave it running in-game for about 5-10 minutes - don't touch it. Power down, let the DS cool for a few minutes, then try to play the game as long as you can without it dying AND without holding/touching the side the power button is on.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I think I might check with Play N Trade because I'm pretty sure they repair systems. Hopefully the prices are nominal because the last thing I want to buy right now is another system... Plus, I would prefer to buy the DSi if I have to get a system now, but don't really want to pay that much, but it seems silly to get another DS Lite... Maybe I will just wait and see what happens on Black Friday if the repair cost is too high.

I tried what you said and here are my results: I left the system on for a full 10 minutes, then left it off four four minutes, I was then able to play for about four minutes, or one and a half levels in.

If you aren't able to get it fixed, I may be interested in it. I am looking for a broken DSL with good screens to repair one that I have. Just PM me if you change your mind. Thanks.

I have an original DS lite that does the exact same thing as the original post. I just got a new one. I'd like to do something with the old one.

It's sounding more like a mobo issue. Right now, the only things I can suggest is check out the local scene for repairs, chance it and buy a motherboard replacement, or wait and see if the prices for repair/mobos go down.

Or keep an eye on eBay for a broken DS lite that has fractured, upper LCD and snag it for parts.

[quote name='Kilraven']It's sounding more like a mobo issue. Right now, the only things I can suggest is check out the local scene for repairs, chance it and buy a motherboard replacement, or wait and see if the prices for repair/mobos go down.

Or keep an eye on eBay for a broken DS lite that has fractured, upper LCD and snag it for parts.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all your help. I think by the time I would get done with repairs it would cost nearly as much as buying a new one, so I might just hold off and see if I can find any really good deals. The DSi is really tempting me, but I'm not sure if I want to spend that much money on a secondary unit, so hopefully this holiday season will bring some good deals.

I have a bunch of games I was going to trade in to Amazon to get the $30 bonus credit, unfortunately I missed out on it, so I'm hoping they will offer something decent for the next offer and I may use it toward a new system.

Thanks again for your help!

bread's done
Back