Broken PS2?

darthbudge

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
Does anybody know where I can find Broken PS2's for fairly cheap? I want to get one or two and fix them up.

I already checked lists here on CAG and couldn't find any. I checked my local Craigslist and there was nothing. I would prefer not to use ebay if possible, but it is starting to look like my only option.

I totally understand the appeal of fixing and reassembling a PS2. Tinkering with consoles is fun; I'm a big fan of what Benjamin Heckendorn does with his portable console projects.

But in this case, I think that if what you're looking for is a cheaper PS2, you might be better off just buying a used phat PS2. A used PS2 at EB's site is $80. I'm sure you can get one for ~$50 or so on ebay. The thing is, I believe that the single component that is most likely to be faulty in a broken PS2 is the DVD drive. Disk read errors, and all that. I think (I'm not sure, but this is what I've heard) replacement PS2 DVD drives cost ~$40. So if you end up spending, say, ~$10 on a broken PS2, and $40 on a replacement drive, you've really only saved yourself $10-20.

Of course, if you're lucky, you might find one that has nothing more than a loose wire that needs soldering, and nothing else. And, of course, if you only want one for the sheer joy of tinkering, forget what I said. :)

[quote name='Killer Rabbit']I totally understand the appeal of fixing and reassembling a PS2. Tinkering with consoles is fun; I'm a big fan of what Benjamin Heckendorn does with his portable console projects.

But in this case, I think that if what you're looking for is a cheaper PS2, you might be better off just buying a used phat PS2. A used PS2 at EB's site is $80. I'm sure you can get one for ~$50 or so on ebay. The thing is, I believe that the single component that is most likely to be faulty in a broken PS2 is the DVD drive. Disk read errors, and all that. I think (I'm not sure, but this is what I've heard) replacement PS2 DVD drives cost ~$40. So if you end up spending, say, ~$10 on a broken PS2, and $40 on a replacement drive, you've really only saved yourself $10-20.

Of course, if you're lucky, you might find one that has nothing more than a loose wire that needs soldering, and nothing else. And, of course, if you only want one for the sheer joy of tinkering, forget what I said. :)[/quote]

Yeah, well I am hoping that I can fix it very cheaply. However if nothing else I can tinker with it.

You might want to say what model your are looking for or at least if it is a fat or slim ps2 you are looking for.

I wish I saw this before. Last weekend I used the GS extra $10 to take a phat PS2 in (that kinda works but sometimes doesn't read). It flubbed up during their testing, but they gave me $50 trade in credit and took a $15 "refurbish fee" out of it. I only netted $35 but it was just wasting away so I was happy. Posting a wanted list on Craigslist might be your best bet (even if it takes awhile).

i have boughten broken games from link on this site and no one cared. so u can sell it here i gues but if ur here 2 buy a ps2 just be warn: if u buy it and it dont work o n cag then wubb wont do anythin about it hell say just talk to some1 else.

[quote name='twist samba']i have boughten broken games from link on this site and no one cared. so u can sell it here i gues but if ur here 2 buy a ps2 just be warn: if u buy it and it dont work o n cag then wubb wont do anythin about it hell say just talk to some1 else.[/QUOTE]

I can understand why you did, and also understand why no one cared.

I care, twist samba, I really truly deeply care.

I'll even offer to replace all of your broken titles you bought from this site if you would just let me know which titles they were and where you purchased them from.

Try Ebay, budge. People sell their broken PS2s for mad cheap.

[quote name='twist samba']i have boughten broken games from link on this site and no one cared. so u can sell it here i gues but if ur here 2 buy a ps2 just be warn: if u buy it and it dont work o n cag then wubb wont do anythin about it hell say just talk to some1 else.[/quote]

...huh?

Last weekend I used the GS extra $10 to take a phat PS2 in (that kinda works but sometimes doesn't read). It flubbed up during their testing, but they gave me $50 trade in credit and took a $15 "refurbish fee"

:shock: GS actually tested your console?

So the myths were true!

[quote name='darthbudge']Does anybody know where I can find Broken PS2's for fairly cheap? I want to get one or two and fix them up.

I already checked lists here on CAG and couldn't find any. I checked my local Craigslist and there was nothing. I would prefer not to use ebay if possible, but it is starting to look like my only option.[/quote]

I have a broken PS2 phat, but it's at my house in NH and I'm currently in school in NY. When I get home I'll bring it back out and PM you about it. I'd give it away for it's shipping cost.

[quote name='darthbudge']Yeah, well I am hoping that I can fix it very cheaply. However if nothing else I can tinker with it.[/quote]

That sounds cool. I recommend however, that when you find a broken PS2 for sale, you ask if the seller knows what is wrong with the system. If the problem is a disk read error, or some other DVD drive issue, you may want to walk away, since I assume the most likely repair for such a situation would be to replace the DVD drive. As I said, I'm not totally sure about the cost of a PS2 phat DVD drive, but I believe it's probably expensive enough that the repair wouldn't be worth it in terms of cost efficiency alone. If it ends up being some other issue, though, it might be pretty easy to fix. Unless it's an important motherboard component, in which case it would probably be unfixable.

I don't really know my PS2 repairs, though, so you should poke around online to see what a more knowledgeable person has said about this.

[quote name='twist samba']i have boughten broken games from link on this site and no one cared. so u can sell it here i gues but if ur here 2 buy a ps2 just be warn: if u buy it and it dont work o n cag then wubb wont do anythin about it hell say just talk to some1 else.[/quote]

Truly, this man is a master of boughtening. Perhaps he studied Boughteny?

I'll have to second (or third? or more?) the warning about DRE'd PS2s. Finding a new laser is not cheap or easy if you have to ($40-$60!). There are a few different model lasers too, so have to be able to replace it with the same model your system came with which can be an extra pain.

However, not all DRE PS2s are the same. A PS2 with DREs that hasn't been opened and screwed with, especially one that looks ok, but is just a bit dusty or is smoky may just need a bit of cleaning/adjusting of the laser to get it working again. I've `fixed' two fat PS2s this way, both of which just needed to be opened up and given a good cleaning.

Indeed. This is a toss up. You might get stuck with a dud that costs too much in parts to repair. But like the above poster said, the system might just need a good cleaning/adjusting. My brother-in-law's PS2 would barely play games. He had to put the disc in four or five times to get it to read, and that it would stall during play. I popped it opened, just cleaned it up, and the system worked like new.

bread's done
Back