Broken PS3

vze21gwa

CAG Newbie
Hey fellow CAG's. My ps3 60gb broke on me recently. I called Sony and they told me it will cost me either $100 to upgrade it to a slim, or $130 to repair it. The Problem with the PS3 is that when I turn it on the picture doesn't show. When it does it freezes during a game (around 20 min mark). Do any of you guys know a cheaper place where I can get my PS3 fixed or any advice as to how I should handle this matter? Also I'm a bit cash strapped at the moment. So any advice would be great. Thanks. Happy New Year.

Last edited by a moderator:
$100 seems like a good deal for a slim upgrade. You might be able to find something local on Craigslist, but it wont be much cheaper, and they may create more problems then they fix, plus, you'll get a warranty on Sony's work, but on Craigslist, you'll be SOL if anything happens afterwards. I'd recommend sticking with Sony.

[quote name='Brownjohn']$100 seems like a good deal for a slim upgrade. You might be able to find something local on Craigslist, but it wont be much cheaper, and they may create more problems then they fix, plus, you'll get a warranty on Sony's work, but on Craigslist, you'll be SOL if anything happens afterwards. I'd recommend sticking with Sony.[/QUOTE] I considered the slim upgrade except I don't have $100 and i'd lose backwards compatibility.

For the extra $30 you save from having it repaired you could go an buy a used PS2. If you don't even have $100 to spend I'd say your chances of finding anything elsewhere would be slim to none. I don't know that I'd trust anyone other than Sony to fix the Ps3 either... I think your options are either to ante up or go without a ps3 for a while.

I guess Sony must've lowered the price since the last time someone with a fully BC model made a thread asking for advice like this, since it was $175 the last time.

But as others have said, you're better off sticking with Sony for repair/replacement.

[quote name='Mixer236']For the extra $30 you save from having it repaired you could go an buy a used PS2. If you don't even have $100 to spend I'd say your chances of finding anything elsewhere would be slim to none. I don't know that I'd trust anyone other than Sony to fix the Ps3 either... I think your options are either to ante up or go without a ps3 for a while.[/QUOTE]Thing is I already have a ps2. You would think Sony would charge $100 to fix it and $130 to upgrade but no they have to complicate things. If I do the upgrade I'll lose all my info on my old 60gb though.

[quote name='vze21gwa']Thing is I already have a ps2. You would think Sony would charge $100 to fix it and $130 to upgrade but no they have to complicate things. If I do the upgrade I'll lose all my info on my old 60gb though.[/QUOTE]
I take it you have no way to take out the HDD from the PS3 and try to transfer any/all files over to an external source to save that info? I thought that was possible as a way to save info you wanted to keep when a PS3 went kablooie.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I take it you have no way to take out the HDD from the PS3 and try to transfer any/all files over to an external source to save that info? I thought that was possible as a way to save info you wanted to keep when a PS3 went kablooie.[/QUOTE]

I was going to suggest this as well, more than likely your HDD is intact and you can extract the files before you send it away.

[quote name='nakedninja']i had to open my ylod 60 gig ps3 to get a game out. will they still offer me $100 to upgrade?[/QUOTE]
Since it's over the year long factory warranty, they should still offer you the chance to pay them $100 to 'upgrade'.

Although those slim PS3's they're offering as upgrades may be refurbs as well and not a new console.

[quote name='nakedninja']i had to open my ylod 60 gig ps3 to get a game out. will they still offer me $100 to upgrade?[/QUOTE]

I think that opening your console in any way other than HDD removal voids their offer for that, though it could just be the warranty that I'm thinking of.

*EDIT*

Beaten to it, that sounds more likely than what I suggested, since they are charging you to fix it. I'd be interested to see what they say though.

[quote name='vze21gwa']Hey fellow CAG's. My ps3 60gb broke on me recently. I called Sony and they told me it will cost me either $100 to upgrade it to a slim, or $130 to repair it. The Problem with the PS3 is that when I turn it on the picture doesn't show. When it does it freezes during a game (around 20 min mark). Do any of you guys know a cheaper place where I can get my PS3 fixed or any advice as to how I should handle this matter? Also I'm a bit cash strapped at the moment. So any advice would be great. Thanks. Happy New Year.[/QUOTE]

I bought a "broken" PS3 that did the exact same. Brought it home got to dash and it froze and wouldn't come back on without freezing or no picture. Managed to get to the recovery menu even though no picture would show on a normal start. Did a system restore and withing 10 minutes total including hooking it up I was playing a game. Traded it to Gamestop, they did like a 10 minute play test plus I had played for awhile and it seemed to be fixed. I got enough for 2 new releases so I was very happy. :D

If it's opened they wont touch it. They'll just send it back to you according to the guy a friend of mine talked to when he called to have his first system repaired. They charged him like $130?? to get it fixed and a short couple month warranty on the replacement system.

[quote name='$hady']If it's opened they wont touch it. They'll just send it back to you according to the guy a friend of mine talked to when he called to have his first system repaired. They charged him like $130?? to get it fixed and a short couple month warranty on the replacement system.[/QUOTE]After they repair it though it's only a 90 day waranty. So if it breaks after that im screwed.

I recommend to all those who still have the old 80-20gig units with bc to replace the thermal paste on their systems. I replaced mine during the summer with AS5 and the old thermal paste looked all crusty and dry. After doing so my ps3 has still been flawless without any problems and i've left in on many times overnight to download my psn stuff when i replaced my hard drive.

[quote name='vze21gwa']After they repair it though it's only a 90 day waranty. So if it breaks after that im screwed.[/QUOTE]

Yea my friend got his repaired got the 90 day warranty and it died a couple months after the warranty expired....

I feel your pain, i'm on my 1st PS3 from 80gb Motorstorm bundle but 6th 360 since launch day... :(
Luckily all were under extended warranty.

[quote name='Mixer236']I was going to suggest this as well, more than likely your HDD is intact and you can extract the files before you send it away.[/QUOTE]

The only way to back up saves on a PS3 HDD is when it's still operational, and do a full backup in the System menu or manually with each save file transferred to an external storage device. The files are encrypted, so you will have no success with plugging it into a computer to pull the files off of it.

If your PS3 goes 'kablooie' and you haven't backed up any of your saves, you're pretty much 99% up crap creek if the system ends up un-repairable.

[quote name='$hady']I bought a "broken" PS3 that did the exact same. Brought it home got to dash and it froze and wouldn't come back on without freezing or no picture. Managed to get to the recovery menu even though no picture would show on a normal start. Did a system restore and withing 10 minutes total including hooking it up I was playing a game. Traded it to Gamestop, they did like a 10 minute play test plus I had played for awhile and it seemed to be fixed. I got enough for 2 new releases so I was very happy. :D[/QUOTE]Dude your the best. I tried the system restore and it worked. I had tried it previously to no luck but this time it worked. My ps3 still runs hot though. Im thinking of getting an intercooler (any of you guys tried it?), but other that everything else is fine. Thanks.

bread's done
Back