Broken PS4 Controller Trigger

Whizbang

CAGiversary!
I did a search on CAG and did not see any mention of the PS4 triggers breaking.  I've had my PS4 about 90 days (93) and last night the right trigger gave out.  YouTube tells me its a spring inside that goes bust.  I called Sony and they are going to replace it but I'll be without for several days.  

I've been around video gaming a long, long, long time.  We're talking Pong, Atari 2600, Colecovision, Commodore 64, NES, Genesis, SNES, Playstation, Xbox, Dreamcast, Xbox 360 and PC.  I used to wear out the Atari and Commodore 64 joysticks (interchangeable between the two systems) but I never had an issue with any of the modern day controllers.  I've used the original Xbox 360 controllers for nearly 10 years!.  I like FPS and games like AC, Batman, etc. so I use that right trigger a lot.  I guess Destiny and Shadow of Mordor are too much game for this piece of shit PS4 controller.  I really like my PS4 but these controllers are weak.  Based on my internet search last night, this is a problem.

Sony willingly supplied me with the info. to ship in the busted controller except I have to pay the shipping on the damn thing.  At least sending it down to TX, they will send it back on their dime.  That's $9 in shipping plus another $50 on a 2nd controller to use while that one is getting traded out.  (Bought one on sale at SEARS)   I really don't need a 2nd controller but I don't want to sit around and wait while good games are FINALLY coming out.  I guess when I break the 2nd controller I'll have the first one to use as back up.

Anyone else go through this?

I did a search on CAG and did not see any mention of the PS4 triggers breaking. I've had my PS4 about 90 days (93) and last night the right trigger gave out. YouTube tells me its a spring inside that goes bust. I called Sony and they are going to replace it but I'll be without for several days.

I've been around video gaming a long, long, long time. We're talking Pong, Atari 2600, Colecovision, Commodore 64, NES, Genesis, SNES, Playstation, Xbox, Dreamcast, Xbox 360 and PC. I used to wear out the Atari and Commodore 64 joysticks (interchangeable between the two systems) but I never had an issue with any of the modern day controllers. I've used the original Xbox 360 controllers for nearly 10 years!. I like FPS and games like AC, Batman, etc. so I use that right trigger a lot. I guess Destiny and Shadow of Mordor are too much game for this piece of shit PS4 controller. I really like my PS4 but these controllers are weak. Based on my internet search last night, this is a problem.

Sony willingly supplied me with the info. to ship in the busted controller except I have to pay the shipping on the damn thing. At least sending it down to TX, they will send it back on their dime. That's $9 in shipping plus another $50 on a 2nd controller to use while that one is getting traded out. (Bought one on sale at SEARS) I really don't need a 2nd controller but I don't want to sit around and wait while good games are FINALLY coming out. I guess when I break the 2nd controller I'll have the first one to use as back up.

Anyone else go through this?
Yes, I had the one that came with my launch PS4 break on 9/10. I sent it back to Sony to be fixed/replaced under warranty and bought a new blue one on 9/11 to use while mine was gone for 2 weeks. Saturday night I noticed that the R2 trigger on the blue one was acting the same way as the other did when it broke. I had bought it at gamestop and was a week over my 30 day return date but they did swap it out for me.

I had not really played a lot of games that used the R2 till Destiny came out. I have about 110 hours in it and have went through 2 DS4 controllers because the R2 button broke. I and not rough with my controllers, I have never dropped or stepped on them. When I'm done they are always put back on the charging dock and always look brand new. This really bothers me because in my 30+ years of gaming I have never had a controller break or even go bad. Most every console I have I have been the sole owner of from NES to PS3 and at least one controller is the original controller that came with the system and they all work perfect. I really question Sonys quality control since I bought my PS4 at launch and the unit was bad right out of the box and 2 controller break in the same place in less than 1 year.

I feel I have made a wrong choice in systems. I didn't buy the Xbox One at launch because that red ring feeling was in the back of my head. I remember sending a 360 back half a dozen times for repair. I am hoping that Sony will address these issues with the controller but I doubt they will since they never addressed the YLOD with the original PS3.

I recommend purchasing warranty when purchasing controllers. Best Buy sells the 2 year Geek Squad protection for $11.99. A gamer is bound to wear out a controller before 2 years.

It sucks that you went through  that OP...DS4 always felt cheap when compared to the DS3 imo

1) The controller weighs 7.7 ounces meaning it would qualify for USPS First Class. If you're spending $9 to ship it then you didn't do a good job researching rates and methods

2) Most games that require use of the R2 trigger require it be used in conjunction with the L2 trigger.... correct? In a game like Shadow of Mordor you're going to use the L2 Trigger a hell of a lot more then the R2 trigger. The fact that we're only hearing stories about the R2 trigger breaking means that either it's a design flaw or people, who are most likely (based on statistics) right handed are putting more force on that trigger then with they are the L2 trigger which would more then likely be controller by their non dominant hand.

It is unfortunate this is happening and it appears it's happening at rate that is bothersome. I've played through all kinds of PS4 games that require use of the triggers (Killzone, Wolfenstein, Shadow of Mordor, TLOU, etc.) and haven't broken anything yet but I guess I'm more gentle with things I pay money for then others.

Side note but I've played with other people that have a habit of snapping their triggers in an annoying fashion (putting pressure really hard and fast and quickly letting go) and I have no idea why anyone does that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well as I said, I'm not a novice gamer and this is the first controller that I had break since the Atari 2600 joysticks just wore out.  This thing broke in 93 days.  Its a design flaw.  I watched the repair on Youtube and the spring that is busting is el cheapo.

Also, I shipped USPS First Class; it cost $9.  

Yes the exact same thing happened to me and it cost me about 7.50 to ship it back to them fedex, they at least sent me a new controller within 10 days. 

bread's done
Back