Brutal Legend $19.99 - New MSRP

Fearbeard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I didn't see any threads about this but when I was at EB earlier today I saw Brutal Legend for the Xbox 360 priced at $19.99 on the shelves. Used price was 17.99. Online price is still $39.99. I was in a rush so I didn't check out the PS3 section.

I had picked it up at Best Buy with the $20 coupon last month and I'm not sure if they were conpeting with that or what, but the price surprised me.

edit: Apparently it's the new MSRP so look for it to drop to this price everywhere.

[prices=360]Brutal Legend[/prices]
[prices=ps3]Brutal Legend[/prices]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']wow 5 months and the game's MSRP is down to $20? What a failure of a game, I saw it coming. This game had failure written all over it. Thankfully this was Tim Schafer's last failure, he said if the game didn't sell well it would be his last.[/QUOTE]

somebodies got a pickle up the butt

looks like I'll be returning my copy to Best Buy that I got with the Reward Zone coupon

so I can get it cheaper when I actually have time to play it

[quote name='buckythekat']looks like I'll be returning my copy to Best Buy that I got with the Reward Zone coupon

so I can get it cheaper when I actually have time to play it[/QUOTE]

Same here.
I'm hoping for a PH version that includes the DLC

I got the platinum on this game and found it worth the $35 or so I paid for it.

Anyone getting it at this price is getting a steal. If you want to go for the full 1000/1000 or the platinum, that requires arguably the most annoying achievement/trophy of all time: Conqueror.

The reason this is annoying is there is a nasty thing of when you exit online mode, randomly, it may reset you win/losses to 0/0. You need 50 wins to get the trophy/achievement.

I had gotten up to 27 wins online, legit, before my stats got wiped. So myself along with three others just grinded the thing one night while in IRC. During that I randomly lost 10 wins just from playing, they just disappeared. If you can get back the first 5-10 wins with a group, you'll pretty much be matched up with only one another since the online mode is dead at this point.

As for the single player, I really enjoyed it. I played through the game twice. The latter parts of the game are really tough, however. But when things "click" you'll breeze through the final battles.

Anyone had any problems with this game on a 360?, i tried 2 different copies from gamefly and my xbox froze both times.

I sold this game in the 50% gamestop deal. I loved it when it was a hack and slash but then it turned into some RTS type of game..which i didnt really enjoy.

[quote name='Logain8955']Brutal Legend is a lot of fun, but it's a testament to failed marketing and a misunderstanding of design.
[/QUOTE]

Sadly, this seems to be the problem with anything Double Fine makes.

[quote name='mkernan']It was fairly well received by reviewers and sold about 1 million copies across both platforms, so I'd hardly call that a failure.[/QUOTE]

yeah but then again all of Shafer's games have been well reviewed but none have them have been successful. 1 million between the 360 and PS3 is pretty bad especially when in its first month it sold around 200k between xbox and ps3, will probably sell more now thats its at bargain bin price

[quote name='TheJerseyKush']somebodies got a pickle up the butt[/QUOTE]

why because I don't like shafer's games and am tired of seeing him release failure after failure? I dont hate they guy, i kinda feel bad for him, but after so many failures you would think he would go in a different direction for his games or call it a career

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']why because I don't like shafer's games and am tired of seeing him release failure after failure? I dont hate they guy, i kinda feel bad for him, but after so many failures you would think he would go in a different direction for his games or call it a career[/QUOTE]
The games Shafer did before Psychonauts are all considered classic adventure titles. I've played all of them and thought they were fantastic, but that genre as a whole was never commercially successful. I skipped over Psychonauts but I do own a copy of it that collects dust on my shelf, and Brutal Legend is awesome. Not just cause it's metal, but because it's fun too. The only one I didn't play myself was Psychonauts and that was critically acclaimed, so I really don't see any of these failures you're talking about. Just cause his games didn't make him filthy rich doesn't make him a failure.

Much like Psychonauts, the game is a mix of the enjoyable and the awful, with the only great stuff being presentation. Thankfully, BL stays away from the LOL SO RANDOM humor that infected parts of Psychonauts.

At this price, it's definitely worth a shot.

What the hell is Schafer smoking calling this an action game though? Did he not see the stupidly huge damage most enemies take? Those turret missions alone were just awful. The only way to kill most foes within a half hour is with a horde of soldiers or the random insta-kill solo spell.

[quote name='Dark Lord Greg']yeah but then again all of Shafer's games have been well reviewed but none have them have been successful. 1 million between the 360 and PS3 is pretty bad especially when in its first month it sold around 200k between xbox and ps3, will probably sell more now thats its at bargain bin price

why because I don't like shafer's games and am tired of seeing him release failure after failure? I dont hate they guy, i kinda feel bad for him, but after so many failures you would think he would go in a different direction for his games or call it a career[/QUOTE]

A "failure" would be a game like Rock Revolution. Brutal Legends sold 1 million copies in 5 months which is a feat most games will not accomplish, perhaps even in their life time. Although Brutal Legends was far from an exceedingly successful game, it was well received by the critics and consumers in general.

Perhaps next time you bring an argument to the table to ridicule the works of those who have achieved much more in their career than you ever will, at least attempt to make an intelligent argument rather than repeating the word "failure" over and over again. Besides, you opinion of the game and its creator(s) does not contribute to this thread in any shape or form.

Anyways, here's hoping that Brutal Legends will drop below $15 soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorta surprised to see it at $20 so soon, but that's good for us CAGs! Anyway, I picked it up at Best Buy with the $20 off coupon a week or two ago and have been really enjoying it. I don't plan on playing MP, but the SP stuff is better than I had expected so far.

Anyway, I didn't see this posted here yet and wanted to say that my copy had a code for a Rock Band track pack that said it expired 12/31/09 but it worked for me still as of the end of February 2010.

Reason why rock revolution sells well is the fact it is $5 or less at bestbuy, ebgames, Fye, Five Below [etc]. Its hard not to sell when its that cheap.

[quote name='sstcrush']Reason why rock revolution sells well is the fact it is $5 or less at bestbuy, ebgames, Fye, Five Below [etc]. Its hard not to sell when its that cheap.[/QUOTE]

I believe he was saying that unlike Rock Revolution, Brutal Legend cannot be seen as a failure. Reading comprehension dood.

a little off topic

how does one know when a MSRP price drops?

I am hoping to pick up GOW collection for $20 soon

awesome about brutal legend....but i'd do it at BBV for $10

So tempted to pick this up at Newegg with free shipping but I feel like we have tons of copies sitting at Bestbuy and with my employee discount I could save like $2 including tax. I think I'll wait it out til sunday to see if its in the weekly ad.

20 already? Did not expect that, I was cautious hearing demo (I enjoyed) was nothing like what game evolves into. At that price though, tempting.

You kind of know which games are going to tank in MSRP when they are released. I had no doubt that Brutal Legend would easily see the $30 price tag in a few months.. but I never expected $20.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Much like Psychonauts, the game is a mix of the enjoyable and the awful, with the only great stuff being presentation. Thankfully, BL stays away from the LOL SO RANDOM humor that infected parts of Psychonauts.

At this price, it's definitely worth a shot.

What the hell is Schafer smoking calling this an action game though? Did he not see the stupidly huge damage most enemies take? Those turret missions alone were just awful. The only way to kill most foes within a half hour is with a horde of soldiers or the random insta-kill solo spell.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Schaffer is sort of a guy who makes games in a cave. There is some great stuff in there that he did because he could work alone, but there really needed to be someone to step in and say "Tim, that sucks." The art direction is fantastic. The unit design similarly fantastic. The game? The game, not so great. Passable, sure. But unfortunately they let what didn't work (the essential gameplay structure) dictate what did work.

This made my day! 20 bucks and free shipping from newegg was the sweet spot I was looking for. I almost bit at this game for 40 bucks a while back, i'm sure glad I waited some.

Got a clean, complete copy at Blockbuster two days ago for $9.99 ... Flipped it to Goozex today for 650 points ( A $32.50 value) :D
I already own a copy myself.

Price drop of $20, seems everywhere: Best Buy, GameStop and is at PC Richard's Clearance. Both Xbox 360 and PS3 versions.

[quote name='stratmancj']Price drop of $20, seems everywhere: Best Buy, GameStop and is at PC Richard's Clearance. Both Xbox 360 and PS3 versions.[/QUOTE]

Sorry man, but this is pretty old news. Thanks for the heads up though.

played this via my free gamefly rental deal - gamefly is slow as hell - period. Anyway- beat it, no desire to play it again unfortunately. Too bad for them.

Awesome story - crappy game mechanics unfortunately.

Thanks for the heads up.

[quote name='friedram']played this via my free gamefly rental deal - gamefly is slow as hell - period. Anyway- beat it, no desire to play it again unfortunately. Too bad for them.

Awesome story - crappy game mechanics unfortunately.

Thanks for the heads up.[/QUOTE]
yea thats what i keep hearing, i never get deep in a games story, at all. however i might pick this one up since i've so far heard great things about the story.

Bought it, haven't opened it yet but played the demo which I liked a lot. I am hesitant b/c of the RTS elements in the game and have been trying to find a YouTube clip that shows this in action but cannot find a clip of the RTS action :(

[quote name='geehal']Demo was pretty damn funny. Looks like this game flopped big and will hit $10 pretty soon.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's too bad. Tim Schafer really can't seem to get a break...

Didn't want to start a new thread, just wanted to say this is on Amazon currently for 360 and PS3 at the same price of 19.99 right now.

[quote name='Vinny']Yeah, it's too bad. Tim Schafer really can't seem to get a break...[/QUOTE]

If he would have decided to not make this game a mash-up of almost every game genre out there, he may have caught his break. But a 3rd person action / adventure / RTS game with Guitar Hero rhythm-matching elements? Yeesh...

I got it for Christmas and REALLY wanted to like this game, but I just couldn't finish it. Great environment, great characters, great soundstrack. It should have been awesome. But the RTS just killed it for me.

I want this game because of the great demo but so far my hatred of RTS games has overpowered my love of heavy metal and desire to get this game. I really do want to play this game but... I pretty much HATE RTS games.

The RTS parts are pretty exagerrated. Just spawn some of each of your available classes and then have everyone go fight. You can micromanage them more, but it's not necessary at all. I would just place the flag (that tells your newly spawned people to group at that point), create as many people as I could of all my classes, and just zerg into battle. Then it's just a hack and slash game, but you have a big army fighting along side you. I got this game full price and really enjoyed it. I wouldn't trade it in even if the trade-in value weren't nil.

[quote name='Ravenduo']I want this game because of the great demo but so far my hatred of RTS games has overpowered my love of heavy metal and desire to get this game. I really do want to play this game but... I pretty much HATE RTS games.[/QUOTE]

don't bother. i LOVE metal and i LOVED the demo, but it is definitely one of the most misleading demos in video game history. the demo is essentially the beginning of the game, then after that you're gonna be learning RTS commands and gaining troops.

i hate RTS games, too. i could not finish this one.

bread's done
Back