Buffy Complete Set, 70$

Too bad its not The Chosen Collection. I simply prefer the way its packaged over the other complete series set. Not to mention the bonus disc is nice too.

Given the age of the series, I don't know that we'll ever see a Blu-ray version. If we did I fear it would just be an upscale anyway.

i just got the new season of buffy the vampire slayer on dvd

its not even out yet

im going to stay in tonight and watch the special features

[quote name='Darknuke']i just got the new season of buffy the vampire slayer on dvd

its not even out yet

im going to stay in tonight and watch the special features[/QUOTE]
Season 8? the motion comic? that has been out...

[quote name='Darknuke']i just got the new season of buffy the vampire slayer on dvd

its not even out yet

im going to stay in tonight and watch the special features[/QUOTE

Nice. Gotta love Grandma's Boys references.

Ordered! Thanks OP.

Funny, yesterday my husband wanted to start watching the entire Angel series. So I went to get the DVDs, and noticed he owns the entire series of Angel, but not a single Buffy DVD. I was like, "WTF!? How can you have the entire series of Angel but not Buffy too?"

Problem solved.

[quote name='nepenthegram']Given the age of the series, I don't know that we'll ever see a Blu-ray version. If we did I fear it would just be an upscale anyway.[/QUOTE]

I was joking.

Every time someone posts a good deal for an older show someone always comes around going "This isn't blu-ray?! This is useless! I'll wait for blu-ray!", but most shows before the 2000s will never come out on blu-ray unless they are really famously popular (like Star Trek).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bigdaddy']Every time someone posts a good deal for an older show someone always comes around going "This isn't blu-ray?! This is useless! I'll wait for blu-ray!", but most shows before the 2000s will never come out on DVD unless they are really famously popular (like Star Trek).[/QUOTE]

I hope you meant Blu-Ray since a huge chunk of TV shows pre-2000's are out on DVD.

[quote name='Spacepest']Funny, yesterday my husband wanted to start watching the entire Angel series. So I went to get the DVDs, and noticed he owns the entire series of Angel, but not a single Buffy DVD. I was like, "WTF!? How can you have the entire series of Angel but not Buffy too?".[/QUOTE]
You haven't filed for divorce yet?

^ha.

Sorry bigdaddy, my sarcasm detector must be broken. And yeah, I didn't get the Grandma's Boy reference immediately but it made me laugh once I did.

[quote name='bigdaddy']I was joking.

Every time someone posts a good deal for an older show someone always comes around going "This isn't blu-ray?! This is useless! I'll wait for blu-ray!", but most shows before the 2000s will never come out on DVD unless they are really famously popular (like Star Trek).[/QUOTE]
I'm sure Star Trek's popularity played a factor in its blu-ray release, but the big driving force was behind it was that the show was shot on film, so there's an actual reason to put it on Blu-Ray.

^Can someone please explain this to me or point me a page that would do so? I understand that film has (practically) an infinite resolution whereas some computer generated shots are restricted to the resolution they were created at. But I don't fully understand why some older animation can be remastered and some can't. Sorry for my ignorance, I'm fairly new to all this.

I remember snagging this for $40 because they had mistakenly listed it as chosen collection and knocked off $30 or so dollars off price as an apology last time it went on sale :)

So would this be a good price to get this at , and is it really worth it to try and track down the bonus disk from the Chosen Collection?

[quote name='nepenthegram']^ha.

Sorry bigdaddy, my sarcasm detector must be broken. And yeah, I didn't get the Grandma's Boy reference immediately but it made me laugh once I did.[/QUOTE]

It's fine, I meant to put a ";)" and forgot. :lol:

[quote name='Demolition Man']I hope you meant Blu-Ray since a huge chunk of TV shows pre-2000's are out on DVD.[/QUOTE]

Yes I did... and fixed. :cool:

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I'm sure Star Trek's popularity played a factor in its blu-ray release, but the big driving force was behind it was that the show was shot on film, so there's an actual reason to put it on Blu-Ray.[/QUOTE]

True, but a lot of stuff that was shot on film might not ever be on blu-ray because there is no money in it. Star Trek has the name going for it. Obviously if it was never on filmed or be too much work to fix up they would most likely have ignored blu-ray.

[quote name='nepenthegram']^Can someone please explain this to me or point me a page that would do so? I understand that film has (practically) an infinite resolution whereas some computer generated shots are restricted to the resolution they were created at. But I don't fully understand why some older animation can be remastered and some can't. Sorry for my ignorance, I'm fairly new to all this.[/QUOTE]

It's all based on money. Farscape was filmed on film I think, but it will never get a blu-ray release because, it's half in full screen, and because there is no money it doing so. It cost money to clean and redo the film to make it look good in blu-ray. Each movie / show has different issues but it all comes down to money.

[quote name='nepenthegram']^Can someone please explain this to me or point me a page that would do so? I understand that film has (practically) an infinite resolution whereas some computer generated shots are restricted to the resolution they were created at. But I don't fully understand why some older animation can be remastered and some can't. Sorry for my ignorance, I'm fairly new to all this.[/QUOTE]

Early television was shot on film. As you said, film, being an analog media, can be mastered into a much higher digital resolution than we are capable of displaying. Video does not have the same detail as film. It also uses different frame rates than film, but that's a whole other can o' worms. Basically, once video was out for a short time, it became much cheaper to shoot on, when an image wasn't being projected at a large size so the flaws wouldn't be obvious. Keep in mind, no one had HDTV's when Buffy, (or ST: TNG, or Twin Peaks, or Stargate, etc.), and the quality coming from the antenna or cable company was held to a much lower standard. It is a completely different media/medium. If you want deeper than that, you'll have to ask Dr. Google.

And like bigdaddy said, even if it was shot on film, a proper remastering is expensive. Read some essays about the Criterion company's restorations for examples.

[quote name='JohnnyDeLicious']Keep in mind, no one had HDTV's when Buffy, (or ST: TNG, or Twin Peaks, or Stargate, etc.), and the quality coming from the antenna or cable company was held to a much lower standard.[/QUOTE]

Actually you might be shocked about Stargate SG-1....

[quote name='Wikipedia']All episodes were filmed in 16:9 wide-screen, although Stargate SG-1 was broadcast in 4:3 aspect ratio in its first years. The transition to the broadcast of episodes in the wider 16:9 ratio gave directors more freedom in frame composition. The first three seasons of Stargate SG-1 were filmed on 16 mm film, notwithstanding scenes involving visual effects that had always been shot on 35 mm film for various technical reasons. After a test run with the season 3 finale, "Nemesis", Stargate SG-1 switched to 35 mm film for all purposes at the beginning of season 4. Digital HD cameras were used for filming beginning with season 8.[/quote]

bread's done
Back