Build your own DVR website/info?

sylentwulf

CAGiversary!
I think my tivo is on it's way out, and instead of buying another one, I'm wondering about building one, anyone have any good sites on how to build one/what software to use, etc...?

The Home Theater PC/PVR board on the [H]ardOCP forums is a good place to go for info. They have a lot of info and have been quite helpful for my efforts into a building a DVR. They have a good thread at the top with a very helpful list of guides.HTPCnews is another site I know of. I'd have a few more links for you, but my main computer, with all my bookmarks, is down.

Currently, I have a Hauppauge PVR150 tuner card in my main computer for recording. I have to watch the shows on my computer till I get another computer to connect to the TV or finish modding my xbox with xbox media center. With that software I'd be able to stream media to the xbox from my main computer/DVR. That's a cheaper solution than getting another computer to act as a frontend.

Good luck. I remembered another link: PCAlchemy. This place has some nice stuff for doing a DVR/HTPC. The link takes you to the HTPC cases. Some of those are quite expensive, but if you want something that will fit into an entertainment center they have them. Newegg also has HTPC/DVR cases. PCAlchemy also has bundles of tuners with media center software. Most say that the third party software is better than what comes with the tuner cards.

If you want to buy the software, look into SageTV or BeyondTV. Both have trials I think. There are also open source media center alternatives. If you want to have a linux DVR, you can go with MythTV. I personally use Mediaportal on my windows computer. The opensource programs are nice and might only cost you a little time and effort.

Search on Lifehacker. I'm too lazy to do it for you, but it should come right up. I remember it and the turn your $50 router into a $600 beast were some of their top articles. Basically you take an old ass computer and convert it into a DVR sort of like turning an old computer to a Linux box.

bread's done
Back