Building a Cheap Ass PC - help!

xdl

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
I have been prompted to find something that I want for christmas. With the advent of the Blockbuster/Gamerush thread, I have obtained many pieces of cool technology. Now the last thing I have to upgrade is my desktop PC. Normally I would not ask for this kind of help, but I have been out of touch with PC technology now for about 4 or 5 years, and it is rather confusing to try and catch up.

My current setup is:

AMD Athlon XP2500+
ASUS A7N8X-X Mobo
512mb RAM PC2100 - i think anyway
160gb, 80gb IDE HD
NVidia GeForce 4200+
450W PSU
Liteon DVD R/RW

I do not have a definite budget, I am hoping for $200, give or take a little. Price will definitely be the main determinant, followed by performance. I want something that is current technology, but this computer is mainly for basic use. There will be little to no gaming on this computer, and with that, a video card is my very last priority. If I can use any of my current parts (HDs, PSU, DVDRW, etc), that will be the best option as opposed to buying a replacement.

I am not limiting myself to these, but my basic research has lead me to think that these CPUS are my best options:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Brisbane 2.9GHz - ~$70 or
Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz ~$70

From there on, I am open to any suggestions. If I use your exact rig, I will send you a $5 Amazon GC. Reposts will not count, nor will edited posts, and please do not spam rigs to win. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited follow ups:

I do not need a case, but would consider a jump to micro ATX.
I do not need an OS.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Oktoberfest']where do you plan on buying your parts from (do you have a local Fry's)? Do you need an OS or a computer case?[/quote]

No Fry's in NJ. Buying parts from wherever they are cheapest - Amazon, newegg, zipzoomfly, etc. Ordered from them all before, not opposed to ordering from any reputable online retailers. Do not need an OS. I have a full size modded case that I use now, but would consider a jump to a micro ATX case should I be able to afford it.

Yeah that AMD 5600+ would be a good choice for a very cheap processor. Here is a good, cheap motherboard with on-board audio and video, here is a cheap video card that is still capable of running all of todays games, and here is some really cheap high quality ram. The motherboard is $40 after rebate, the video card is $60 after rebate, and the memory is $15 after rebate, so it would be $185 total. Then yeah just reuse all your dvd drives/hard drives/power supply/case and you will have a reasonably modern computer. The 8600gt is also a good choice for the video card since it doesn't use very much power or require a PCI-express connection from the power supply.

EDIT: Also I don't really care about the money. Feel free to use this build for free.

Here's the AMD build i came up with through newegg. Since you don't plan on doing any heavy gaming, then the video card can be dropped and you can just use the onboard video.

Essentials:
Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131355
Processor:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103234
Ram:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134488

Optional: (might need depending on what you're trying to do and condition of old parts)
Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121243
Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341020
Hard Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148261
Micro ATX Cast: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144162
Burner: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136149

I included a burner because the motherboard only has 1 IDE port so you can only use 2 the 3 of your current hard drives and the dvd burner. You have to switch one of them to SATA and the burner is the cheapest to do so. If you were going to go for the Micro ATX case, then you might want to upgrade both the Hard drive and burner to sata to save space, but this is all optional.

I like some of these. My concern with the tigerdirect build is that it includes a large case and PSU, both of which I already have. I think I like the idea of a Micro ATX motherboard, with the idea that I can switch to a smaller case eventually if not now. I don't really know what I should be looking for in terms of onboard video and motherboards anymore. Also, I will probably use a SATA burner in the case that I need to use only two IDE devices.

Well since you definitely seem to want a small PC, then depending on what you mean by "basic use," I'd possibly reccomend just getting one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856167032

Just add RAM, and if you burner or current HD is SATA, then use those.

They're great for web browsing (maybe not 50 tabs open, but, normal use, sure), word processing, SD video watching, all that stuff. Don't expect it to run any games from after like, 2002, but still.

[quote name='crystalklear64']If you're going to just use it for non-gaming, why upgrade it at all?

What is it that your current rig cannot do that you want it to?[/quote]

I was asked to find something for someone to give to me as a gift, rather than them buying something I don't want. My current computer is rather sluggish anymore when multitasking. I also have an entire hard drive filled with just music. Even playing music makes this computer rather slow anymore. This was the first thing that came to mind, as there is not much else I want anymore.

Also, I am not hell bent on getting getting a micro ATX set up at this moment. It would be nice, but at this point I would rather just go for an upgrade and leave that open as an option for myself in the near future. The Wind barebones is something to consider though.

This thread could be helpful in the next few months. Sorry to TC, but has anyone bought the barebones machines from TigerDirect, any good? I should be able to slap a video card and HD and be good to go right?

Stick of 2gb RAM with 5-5-5-15 timings and low voltage requirement.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144259 $17.99 shipped free

e5200 CPU (2.5ghz stock, all intels known for overclocking ability. If you're into that, 3.4ghz on air easy.)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116072 $82.99 shipped free

P5Q mobo. Decent overclocking support, might be an issue for you though as only x1 IDE.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131335 102.99$ shipped free (15$ rebate if you count those in the cost)

Total cost = 204$ shipped.

Like I noted on the mobo, only 1 PATA connector. If your DVD drive is PATA as well as your HDD, you might have to also purchase a new drive that is SATA.

I don't quite remember because I haven't dealt with PATA in a while, but doesn't each ribbon allow for two devices to be connected? If so, you'd be fine, but you'd probably know better than me since my old PCs are stored away.

A nice 2gb of RAM will meet any XP needs and almost all your Vista needs.

e5200 is a solid wolfdale 45nm cpu that overclocks well like all the C2D cpus, will get you up to speed as good as anything else.

P5Q very popular board. Uses the P45 chipset known to be solid and pretty good bios setup for overclocking.

Comes with PCI-E if you ever decide to get a new video card.

Now the big question, which could throw everything into the shitter depending on your answer. Is your video card PCI or AGP?

If PCI, you can reuse everything else. If not, you'd have to buy a cheap video card to stick in there.

--
Just looked up your card, looks like its AGP.
The 3450 Oktoberfest posted will work great for you, but here is a different brand that is cheaper and comes with an additional 10$ rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102724 $29.99 (10$ rebate)

HIS is usually a good brand to go with since I believe they are the only company that offers lifetime warranty on their cards, but if that doesn't matter to you, save the 5 (or 15) $.

This would bring the total cost to 234$ + the shipping cost of the card. Or 209$+card shipping after rebate.

This build could very well be overkill for what you need, since this build uses all fairly recent parts and some of the newer tech, but it does give you a very solid upgrading platform if you ever feel the need.

On the Intel side, I see people recommending both the Wolfdale and Allendale chips, and it seems both are overclockable. I've noticed the difference between the two is $10 or $20. I know ghz and mhz does not have a direct correlation to performace anymore. Being a cheap ass, is it worth it to pony up the extra 10-20 for the Wolfdale?

Equivalent speeds of a 65nm to a 45nm cpu will have the 45nm always outperforming the 65nm. That said, its far more important to compare processor to processor rather than an entire line vs. an entire line.

If you want to compare the e2180 to the e5200, the 5200 will give you double the cache size (2mb vs. 1mb) and a higher initial clock speed. If you're going to overclock, it just means you'll be able to push it further since your baseline is higher.

I see this from two ways. If it was me, personally, with the same budget as you, I would go for the newer tech. After my experiences with the e4300/e4400 and now the e7300, I really like having that higher base to work with from an overclocking perspective. I, however, know that I am not satisfied unless I'm getting the most out of my parts.

If you are not that way and you really need to save that 20$, then it shouldn't make that much of a difference. It's just that the processor is going to be the major component of your PC since you're foregoing strength in the gfx department and you wanted your general aps to run faster. The CPU and then RAM are the biggest players in that.

If you were really looking to save money and didn't care all that much about overclocking, AMD would be a better route that will give you higher stock speeds for cheaper. The motherboards would be cheaper as well.

The reason I personally don't go for AMD is twofold.

First, I enjoy the massive overclocking Intel offers.

Second, AMD has been trailing in the CPU market for a fairly long time. It probably won't happen any time soon, if at all, but if a company goes down, my money feels safer betting on Intel.

[quote name='xdl']No Fry's in NJ. Buying parts from wherever they are cheapest - Amazon, newegg, zipzoomfly, etc. Ordered from them all before, not opposed to ordering from any reputable online retailers. Do not need an OS. I have a full size modded case that I use now, but would consider a jump to a micro ATX case should I be able to afford it.[/quote]

Tiger direct has some good deals. Plus for us NJ dwellers no sales tax.
I would go with a motherboard cpu combo. Most motherboards have onboard video cards that are actually half way decent for everyday tasks. I'd go for one of those

[quote name='crystalklear64']Equivalent speeds of a 65nm to a 45nm cpu will have the 45nm always outperforming the 65nm. That said, its far more important to compare processor to processor rather than an entire line vs. an entire line.

If you want to compare the e2180 to the e5200, the 5200 will give you double the cache size (2mb vs. 1mb) and a higher initial clock speed. If you're going to overclock, it just means you'll be able to push it further since your baseline is higher.

I see this from two ways. If it was me, personally, with the same budget as you, I would go for the newer tech. After my experiences with the e4300/e4400 and now the e7300, I really like having that higher base to work with from an overclocking perspective. I, however, know that I am not satisfied unless I'm getting the most out of my parts.

If you are not that way and you really need to save that 20$, then it shouldn't make that much of a difference. It's just that the processor is going to be the major component of your PC since you're foregoing strength in the gfx department and you wanted your general aps to run faster. The CPU and then RAM are the biggest players in that.

If you were really looking to save money and didn't care all that much about overclocking, AMD would be a better route that will give you higher stock speeds for cheaper. The motherboards would be cheaper as well.

The reason I personally don't go for AMD is twofold.

First, I enjoy the massive overclocking Intel offers.

Second, AMD has been trailing in the CPU market for a fairly long time. It probably won't happen any time soon, if at all, but if a company goes down, my money feels safer betting on Intel.[/quote]

Is it safe to say that of the two CPUs in the op (AMD and Intel E2180), that they are about equivalent power at stock speed, with the intel allowing extra power if overclocked? I understand then that the E5200 would yield even more power stock and overclocked.

It seems if I look to AMD or E2180, that I am looking at around $160-200, and for E5200 I would be looking at around $180-220. I have learned in the past not to be cheap when buying a motherboard, so I am expecting to be in the mid to high end of those ranges. I will probably come to some conclusion here in the next day or two.

Also if there is a demand for it, I can attempt to organize much of the info posted here (not that I am necessarily the one who should be posting it, but I can).

An AMD and an Intel of the same comparable line clocked at same speeds speeds, the Intel can perform more operations per cycle meaning that it is slightly faster.

Directly comparing the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ to the e2180, the AMD is better is a straight comparison. The speeds are comparable in these two lines of processors unless they are equal in which the Intels have a slight advantage. So, 2.9ghz vs. 2.0ghz. However, as we know, the intels can overclock ridiculous amounts. The AMDs can overclock sure, but no where near as much. Purely speculation here. I'd say you could get 3.2ghz out of the AMD. You might be able to get 3+ ghz out of the e2180 with the right board, but obviously that's a much farther amount to overclock meaning more chances that it won't make it that far.

bread's done
Back