Building a PC $1000, advice please

Mahavali

CAG Veteran
1. CASE

I already bought the Rocketfish Aluminum Full-Tower Case for $50
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspa...3160363476

This thing is huge so the only space issue is where to put the case!

2. PSU
I'm thinking Corsair 750tx but i've been told 620hx would be better.

3. CPU
I've been thinking i need to go quadcore to be ready for the future, or is that a dumb idea.

4. MOBO
????????
Don’t know much about mobos. 45nm compatible. A good amount of upgradability for RAM, HD’s, and extra components would be good.

5. RAM
Is DDR 3 worth the extra money?

6. VIDEO CARD
???????????
I'd like to be able to play fear, doom 3, prey at high resolutions.

7. Soundcard
I have the razer ac1 barracuda

8. Keyboard
I have the Razer Tarantula

9. Mouse
I have the Razer Deathadder

I’d like my pc to be like a media player and use it connected to a tv. for blu-ray and other things.

Thanks in advance.

I would get a SLI capable motherboard so that one day you could buy another nvidia card to upgrade your computer.

The nvidia 9800GTX would be a good buy for you.

Corsair makes awesome power supplies. Maybe the 650tx is good enough.

Your motherboard will determine if you need DDR3. I don't think it is worth it.

I think a 680i motherboard is your best bet. The 780i isn't actually that much better, but if you have the cash, go for it. Both of these use DDR2 memory.

A lot of people will think you should go quad core, but I think the e8400 is a great dual core CPU.

This thread at NewEgg is good and updated frequently.. it has different builds for different budgets. http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/172986.aspx I'd suggest looking at the builds around "~$1200 Budget (Intel) (SLI Ready / Crossfire* Ready) "

I would stay away from the old 680i nVidia boards because it has no PCIe 2.0 and no support for 45nm Quad cores (yet, if ever).

If you think you will most definitely go for a SLI video card setup using 2 nVidia cards, then I would recommend the 780i even though it has very steep pricing, such as the XFX MB-N780-ISH9. If you don't know what SLI is, or if you know you will not get 2 nVidia video cards, then I would go for an Intel X38 chipset motherboard instead, such as this Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4 or this Asus P5E boards.

As for CPU, you might want to look into the Intel E8400 as mentioned. Quad Core isn't necessary for you, since you're only using it to play games and play media. A typical E8400 retail box will run you about $200 at Newegg.

For video card, I would recommend getting the 8800GT at this point. The games you want to play are old and can be run on 3-generation-old cards. But now the 8800GT is nicely priced (between $150 to $200, depending on brand & speed variations) and will run the newest games at high resolution.

Power supply wise, your current choice of Corsair 750W is great, but the Corsair 650W is on sale at buy.com for $78 after rebate, and will be more than enough to power your PC with room for future upgrades.

For memory, stick with the brand names such as Crucial and Corsair and you'll be fine. Something like this will power your PC plenty. 2GB will be perfectly fine for you for now.

Hopefully you know which hard drive you want, just go for the size you think you need. Perhaps 500GB will be good for you. Stick with Seagate and Western Digital and you'll be ok.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']I would stay away from the old 680i nVidia boards because it has no PCIe 2.0 and no support for 45nm Quad cores (yet, if ever).

If you think you will most definitely go for a SLI video card setup using 2 nVidia cards, then I would recommend the 780i even though it has very steep pricing, such as the XFX MB-N780-ISH9. If you don't know what SLI is, or if you know you will not get 2 nVidia video cards, then I would go for an Intel X38 chipset motherboard instead, such as this Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4 or this Asus P5E boards.

As for CPU, you might want to look into the Intel E8400 as mentioned. Quad Core isn't necessary for you, since you're only using it to play games and play media. A typical E8400 retail box will run you about $200 at Newegg.

For video card, I would recommend getting the 8800GT at this point. The games you want to play are old and can be run on 3-generation-old cards. But now the 8800GT is nicely priced (between $150 to $200, depending on brand & speed variations) and will run the newest games at high resolution.

Power supply wise, your current choice of Corsair 750W is great, but the Corsair 650W is on sale at buy.com for $78 after rebate, and will be more than enough to power your PC with room for future upgrades.

For memory, stick with the brand names such as Crucial and Corsair and you'll be fine. Something like this will power your PC plenty. 2GB will be perfectly fine for you for now.

Hopefully you know which hard drive you want, just go for the size you think you need. Perhaps 500GB will be good for you. Stick with Seagate and Western Digital and you'll be ok.[/quote]
Thanks man, i appreciate your help, you answered a question that came up in my head yesterday b4 i got to ask it, i was considering 640i instead of 740i but now i see your point, i was thinking a 500gb would be enough, because i have an external 500gb as back up. And i would have one superfast harddrive thats about 120-160GB, so altogether i would have almost 1.2 terabytes. But maybe i will get something smaller if i find a good price. You have me sold on duocore, quadcore isnt a hundred percent supported and i could always buy a dell quad core system for $400

bread's done
Back