Building a pc, can anyone look it over please?

Looks good for what you want to do...

I would recommend cyberpowerpc.com for your new computer... Might just be cheaper the ordering it part by part...

[quote name='mission42']Video Card/GPU?

Also maybe a bigger PSU, depending on what your going to do with the machine.[/QUOTE]

Its a built in one that I plan on using until he scrounges up more cash to get a nice discreet one.

In time, but unless it there were performance issues then do like you do with every PC, slowly upgrade it as funds become available.

I agree with a little bigger PSU, 64-bit Windows 7 to take full advantage of all your memory and I'd go with two hard drives to divide your potential lose.

PHENOM ii x4

I own this processor and let me warn you, it comes with a godawful fan. It is ridiculously, insanely, horrifically loud. The damn thing will run at about 6,000 RPMs even when the system is under max capcity, and even then it'll let the CPU approach tempatures of 50-55C (62C is the maximum temp).

I could not stand the noise (and I'm not sensitive to noise, it was nightmarish), so I bought two aftermarket coolers. The first was horrible. DO NOT GET A FREEZER PRO 7 FOR AN AM3 PROCESSOR. My Hyper 212+ however is ridiculously awesome. Got it with some MX-4 Thermal Paste and now my processor runs cool and relatively quiet.

8 gb memory

Pretty good memory. Basically perfected matched to the motherboard given that the max the board can take is 1333 and it's 1333. Keep in mind that unless he's running a 64 bit OS, anything over 3-4 gig is a total waste.

1TB HDD

You can get a Hitachi Deskstar via Amazon for 50 dollars which has the exact same specs and isn't a bare drive. You save 5 dollars and get a case and documents n'stuff; so I suggest doing that. However, Amazon is going to ship slower than Newegg unless you have prime or opt for 2 day delivery. Newegg will win out on price if you don't have prime or patience. Newegg ships fast (at least they do to where I live).

random motherboard

I see one small con, this is only a 6 channel audio motherboard. You probably won't notice the sound difference however unless you have a nice audio system. The built in graphics card is very meh, but it works well enough to play games on lower settings and for other applications. Definitely seems compatible with your AM3 socket CPU.

500 watt PSU

You may want to consider shelling out a little more cash for another 100 watts or so. The 620 watt Antec Neo Eco I bought is only another 10 dollars, though it is currently out of stock and doesn't have free shipping. 500 is cutting into the recommended power-surplus margin for longevity if he gets a high-end video card, a nicer cooler, and uses other peripherals.

LG CD/DVD burner

Shrug.

antec case

I'm not 100% sure that your motherboard is compatible with your case. The board has a micro ATX form-factor and the case is ATX. I can't remember if Micro ATX and ATX are always compatible or not. My Case is compatible with both, I know that. It's also roughly the same price and design:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=black_steel_blitz-_-11-121-096-_-Product

Another thought. Last I knew Newegg was offering a 1 year interest-free period if you spend over 500 dollars. Your brother could just buy what he wants now and then pay off the bill interest free over the next year.

Is there a significant speed bump from the RAM going for 4GB to 6GB or from 6GB to 8GB for anything other than photo/video editing and games? I have some comps at home I'm going to upgrade to win7 from xp and was wondering if they need more RAM.

[quote name='boneless']Is there a significant speed bump from the RAM going for 4GB to 6GB or from 6GB to 8GB for anything other than photo/video editing and games? I have some comps at home I'm going to upgrade to win7 from xp and was wondering if they need more RAM.[/QUOTE]

In my experience and from what I've read, RAM doesn't boost speed performance that much like a processor or SSD would. If it's for gaming, then it especially won't matter. The way I see it with ram is that the more you have it, the more you can open apps to multi task without getting the annoying low memory error.

This really belongs in the sticky, but anyway...

[quote name='H4Y4TO']I would recommend cyberpowerpc.com for your new computer... Might just be cheaper the ordering it part by part...[/QUOTE]
Unless you have some numbers, I find this hard to believe.

[quote name='Das_Regal']PHENOM ii x4

I own this processor and let me warn you, it comes with a godawful fan.[/QUOTE]
I recommend replacing stock fans anyway, purely because they're usually terrible.

bread's done
Back