Building a Sega Game Gear collection

KaiserWAVE

CAGiversary!
I never had a Game Gear, I was one of those GameBoy kids. But I remember playing Shinobi on my uncle's Game Gear and I was hooked but couldn't afford one and with the time I forgot about it. Just recently I bought a Game Gear along with Shinobi and Shinobi II via ebay and now that I played through the games numerous times I thought maybe it is time to start a collection. So I came here hoping to find some suggestions from fellow old school gamers.

Basically I'm looking for exclusive GG titles that were not released on another system (including Genesis or Master System) or were at least different from the other versions. I'm not restricted to a genre, so whether it is a RPG, racing game, puzzle game or whatever, it's all fine with me as long as the game is fun. I really think I owe it to the system to give it a nice spot in my collection :)

The best gamegear game, hands down, is Shining Force: The Sword of Hajya. It's part of the compilation game Shining Force CD for Sega CD, but I doubt you'll be finding either of those. I had a hard time finding SF GG, and I bought it when this shit was still in stores.

If you're a fighting fan, Fatal Fury Special is incredible. By far the best looking title on the console, and the gameplay is intact too. Samurai Shodown suffers from heavy flicker, but keeps a lot of what makes the game a classic.

Streets of Rage 2 is one of Sega's best ports.

I already have Fatal Fury Special (Neo Geo and Snes) and Samurai Shodown (NeoGeo, SNES and Genesis :) ). I didn't know Fatal Fury Special was released on Game Gear. I might pick it up though, Fatal Fury Special is by far my favourite along with Real Bout Fatal Fury Special. Plus, you can't have enough SNK games :)

I found Shining Force for GG on ebay Germany for 49 € (around 60$), I think I'll have a look at the ROM first see if it's worth that price. Although having a rare game is always very seducing to me...

Thanks for the recommendations so far

I would also say Shining Force is my favorite GG game, but there are a bunch of other good ones like Mega Man, Ax Battler, Space Harrier, etc.

I would strongly recommend you also get the Master Gear Converter for your Game Gear. It allows you to play Sega Master System games on the Game Gear, which is basically a portable SMS anyway. Of course, there are a bunch of great SMS games to get as well.

It would be interesting if they released the best of gamegear on the portable systems like DS/GBA/ or PSP.
Anyway, I recommend Virtua Fighter Animation, Bust-a-Move, Columns, and Super Columns. Not the best ports, but still they were all fun back in the day.

bread's done
Back