Building my new machine..

Duke Vandal

CAGiversary!
The times have cought up with my current computer. Here are the specs for the machine I am getting ready to order.

CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E4400 CPU @ 2.00GHz 800FSB 2MB L2 Cache 64-bit
MOTHERBOARD: Asus P5N-E nForce 650i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard
PSU: CoolerMaster Unit 600 Watts eXtreme Power
COOLING FAN: Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooling Fan
MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (320GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
Optical Drive: (Special Price) 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
SOUND: 3D WAVE ON-BOARD 5.1 SOUND CARD
+ Vista Home Premium (32 bit)

I will be honest and admit I am not the greatest when it comes to configuring these things. That being said, after a bit of research I think the rig looks somewhat decent. Anyone have any suggestions?

[quote name='Duke Vandal']The times have cought up with my current computer. Here are the specs for the machine I am getting ready to order.

CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E4400 CPU @ 2.00GHz 800FSB 2MB L2 Cache 64-bit
MOTHERBOARD: Asus P5N-E nForce 650i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 Mainboard
PSU: CoolerMaster Unit 600 Watts eXtreme Power
COOLING FAN: Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooling Fan
MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 16X PCI Express (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (320GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)
Optical Drive: (Special Price) 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)
SOUND: 3D WAVE ON-BOARD 5.1 SOUND CARD
+ Vista Home Premium (32 bit)

I will be honest and admit I am not the greatest when it comes to configuring these things. That being said, after a bit of research I think the rig looks somewhat decent. Anyone have any suggestions?[/quote]
Nice rig, I have the exact same CPU and its really fast for its speed, plus you can overclock the HELL out of it. Ive seen people reach speeds past 3.0 GHz.

I dont like asus motherboards but thats a really decent build.

8.8/10

If you had to Id replace the board and get a better cpu, but as it stands its pretty good.

is this a system for games?

if so I would NOT recommend windows Vista. (actually, I wouldn't recommend windows vista for ANY use)

go with XP home (there is no need for pro since I doubt you need to log into a domain)

besides windows, the system seems good, you might want to look at getting a CPU that uses a faster front side bus (1066 or 1333) instead of 800. its not too much more money.

[quote name='Aberforth']If you're gonna get Vista, get the 64-bit version.[/quote]

I've heard from a few guys that 32 bit is the way to go, namely because of the 64's lack of support for 32 bit drivers and how it doesn't run 16-bit software. I shall investigate this further.

I guess besides chatting with some of my friends about the above, I think I'm pretty much set in terms of my machine. My budget doesn't really allow me to upgrade the CPU too heavily since the only CPU that I can upgrade to that has a faster FSB than 800 would cost me 100 bucks more (though I am getting a new heatsink, so I'll give overclocking a try.) Thanks very much, everyone.

[quote name='Duke Vandal']I've heard from a few guys that 32 bit is the way to go, namely because of the 64's lack of support for 32 bit drivers and how it doesn't run 16-bit software. I shall investigate this further.

I guess besides chatting with some of my friends about the above, I think I'm pretty much set in terms of my machine. My budget doesn't really allow me to upgrade the CPU too heavily since the only CPU that I can upgrade to that has a faster FSB than 800 would cost me 100 bucks more (though I am getting a new heatsink, so I'll give overclocking a try.) Thanks very much, everyone.[/quote]

Yea dont get 64 bit vista, I have on idea what that guy is talking about.

Vista bad rap mainly comes from 64 bit Vista, Ive been running vista on my pc for 7 months and havent had any problems with it what so ever, and have heard of even less having problems with it.

64 bit on the other hand......

I actually haven't used Vista much (32 or 64), but I i figured 64 would be better because of memory addressing and Crysis is suppose to run better on a 64-bit OS (probably because it has more memory, dur!).

In my opinion, if you're gonna use a 32-bit OS use XP.

[quote name='Aberforth']I actually haven't used Vista much (32 or 64), but I i figured 64 would be better because of memory addressing and Crysis is suppose to run better on a 64-bit OS (probably because it has more memory, dur!).

In my opinion, if you're gonna use a 32-bit OS use XP.[/quote]

Im not sure about you, but I AM not one to tell someone to go out and buy something when I havent used it myself.

32 bit Vista is the way to go until they can fix the issues that plauge vista 64, mainly driver support.

Best RAM ever for the price.
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820148076

Seriously, if this comes back in stock I'd jump on it. I have 2GB (2 sticks) of the regular Ballistix and 2GB (2 sticks) of the Ballistix Tracers and love 'em. My mobo's gimped on the DIMM voltage to 1.95 but all 4 sticks of the Ballistix memory run perfectly at DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 2T.

I had the XMS2 Captain Planet linked to and they were good too but couldn't do the tighter timings of the Ballistix (they ran at DDR2 800 5-5-5-15 2T).

As for 64bit, I wouldn't go that way. It's true that 64bit apps run amazingly well with a 64bit processor (x64 started up in 13 seconds on my system vs XP which takes 28 seconds- shut down times were 4 seconds vs 12 seconds respectively). But barely any free software is available for 64bit OS so that's a pain. If you do plan to go 64bit, check to make sure what you want is available as a 64bit app.

[quote name='p00ndawg']Nice rig, I have the exact same CPU and its really fast for its speed, plus you can overclock the HELL out of it. Ive seen people reach speeds past 3.0 GHz.

I dont like asus motherboards but thats a really decent build.

8.8/10

If you had to Id replace the board and get a better cpu, but as it stands its pretty good.[/quote]

i agree with the better cpu. wut about quad-core.

[quote name='sfriedlander']i agree with the better cpu. wut about quad-core.[/quote]

Quad core is 200 bucks more. I'd totally dig a better processor, but I can't seem to find anything else in my current setup to downgrade so I can have cash for it.

bread's done
Back