Bully IGN review = 8.9

BlaqRenaissance

CAGiversary!
IGN

Bully is an interesting game. Leading up to its release, it didn't receive the gameplay coverage or high-end expectations from insiders that Grand Theft Auto usually does, and yet, somehow kept that franchise's reputation for excessive violence and adult behavior. That's why I think that, in a lot of ways, Bully is going to surprise people with what it is -- ie: much better and funnier than most were giving it credit for, while coming across as much tamer than those who feared it expected it to be. Regardless, Bully is a great, well-crafted action game that has one of the best senses of humor around and dozens and dozens of hours of fun.

Nice score but I think I'll pass. I'm sure it's good but I have way too many other games to play. If it blew everyone away I'd probably pick it up but I've got plenty of B+ games to play...

Still on the fence here. Looks like a lot of fun, but I still haven't beaten Okami and as my girlfriend kindly pointed out, I've never actually beaten a Rockstar game before, even though I own all of them but Manhunt. Maybe I'll just throw The Warriors back in instead.

Just picked up the Collector's Edition and damn this thing is huge!

dsc00595po1.jpg

[quote name='javeryh']WTF is in that thing?[/QUOTE]

- A "Bully" Dodgeball
- A "Bully" Comic
- Rockstar sticker

Not really worth the extra $10 but I'm just a sucker for Collector/Limited/Premium Editions.

Can't wait to get this at Best Buy tommorrow... $5 RZ cert, $5 GGC, and a $10 gift card means I'm walking out with Bully for $21.49 after tax ;)

It's just a long wait until then.

Hey, wow, Best Buy actually has it in today but I have to wait until tommorrow to get my $10 gift card for buying Sims 2 Pets... damn.

[quote name='AlienLX']Jeez, what all comes in the CE anyway?

I'll be picking it up soon, they told me to check back in a few hours when I called at 11.[/QUOTE]

From EBgames website:

Order the Bully Special Edition exclusively at Gamestop/EB Games now and receive the ultimate in video game collector’s editions. For $49.99 the special edition gets you Bully for the PS2, the official Bullworth Academy dodge ball, and an exclusive limited edition Bully comic book. Available while supplies las

I love Rockstar. I still haven't truly "completed" any of the other titles from them, but I have been anxiously awaiting "Bully". I'll be picking it up tonight on my way home. I plan on making some good progress in the game this weekend.:bouncy:

Glad it got a good score, but I'm going wait for a drop, lots of other games to play. It looked like Rockster's best yet IMO, and that seems to hold true. Just gotta wait for player impressions now.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']So is it just a reg game case inside, or one of the "Metal Book" covers (ie, the SEs of MK:A, RE4 and FFXII)?[/QUOTE]

Regular game case with the embossed logo.

[quote name='jasonlives13']Regular game case with the embossed logo.[/quote]

Is the outside case/box metal or cardboard? I'm retarded but if it's metal I'll have to buy the SE. Otherwise I can live with the normal version for $10 less I think.

[quote name='graf1k']Is the outside case/box metal or cardboard? I'm retarded but if it's metal I'll have to buy the SE. Otherwise I can live with the normal version for $10 less I think.[/QUOTE]

The big box is cardboard.

[quote name='keithp']Damn it! ANOTHER game I'm gonna have to get!! Sigh...

Any better deals this week than $35 with a Best Buy GGC?[/QUOTE]
Pick it up as part of TRU B2G1 starting next week.

This game got a 10 from 1up, which is outrageously high, but still pretty cool. This game might be next on my list after I beat Okami.

nice! gamefly just shipped the game yesterday and it should be here tomorrow. im excited. too badd god hand wont be getting much love after bully arrives on my doorstep.

I just saw a clip of this game on a CNN piece, replete with year-old quotes from Jack Thompson about how it's a "columbine simulator." The piece must have been produced prior to last week, as it claimed Thompson hadn't played the game (though it mentioned that he lost an injunction to delay the release). At any rate, with or without old quotes from Thompson, it was a fair piece.

I have to give Thompson credit; he can carry himself professionally in front of a camera. I hope some internet geek is cataloging his behavior online so they can expose him for being an immature, shortsighted, unprofessional brat at some point in time, and destroy what credibility being a middle-aged white attorney has brought him.

Any more opinions, likes, or dislikes on the game now that ya'll have played it a little more?

Trying to decide between this or Okami....

[quote name='Trakan']I can't believe this game is rated Teen and Thompson is still having a shitfit.[/QUOTE]

I can't believe you can't believe Thomson is having a shitfit.

[quote name='keithp']Any more opinions, likes, or dislikes on the game now that ya'll have played it a little more?

Trying to decide between this or Okami....[/QUOTE]

I would say get both. Okami is a great game and it's definitely worth the money. Bully is such a fun game. There aren't any fustrating missions and it's real easy to pick up and play.

This game mega owns. RockStar does it again MasterMinds.

IGN ** 8.9 / 10
GamePro ** 4.5 / 5
1UP ** 10 / 10
Games Radar ** 9 / 10
GameBrink 92 / 100
Game Informer ** 8.5 / 10

[quote name='mykevermin']I hope some internet geek is cataloging his behavior online so they can expose him for being an immature, shortsighted, unprofessional brat at some point in time, and destroy what credibility being a middle-aged white attorney has brought him.[/quote]

Wait, he's credible?!?!?!?

[quote name='mykevermin']I can't believe you can't believe Thomson is having a shitfit.[/quote]

Heh.

Well, I believe it, but this can't be what Thompson had in his mind when the game was first announced. Now I know this motherfucker is crazy, but I don't know how anyone can call this a 'columbine simulator.'

I've only played for 15 minutes so far and I can already tell this game is another Rockstar success.

Easily one of my favorite companies this gen... the only game they disappointed me on was State of Emergency, but every other game they have put out has been golden. I cannot WAIT until they start making next gen games.

I love the story, the main characters, and the fact the school feels so... alive. The game tracks so many stats as well... this game is so awesome.

Pulling the fire alarm is hilarious stuff... tons of small touches have gone into this game. I'm still not really finding any negatives after 3 hours of play.

[quote name='jasonlives13']8.7 from Gamespot.

I'm currently in the final chapter of the game and so far I have no complaints.[/quote]

Holy crap you blew through that!

I just started it last night and within the first 5 minutes little Jimmy called corporate lawyers "scum of the earth" and right then I knew I would love this game.

[quote name='keithp']How many hours do you have in it so far, Jasonlives13?[/QUOTE]

Well I just beat the game a few minutes ago and my final playtime was around 20 hours and about 77% complete. The game lets you go back and play after you beat it so that you can finish up those side missions and collect the rest of the items that you may still need to achieve 100% completion.

In a nutshell this is what I thought of the game:

+ Original
+ Good Story
+ Funny Cutscenes
+ Enjoyable Missions

- Minor camera issues

[quote name='jasonlives13']Well I just beat the game a few minutes ago and my final playtime was around 20 hours and about 77% complete. The game lets you go back and play after you beat it so that you can finish up those side missions and collect the rest of the items that you may still need to achieve 100% completion.

In a nutshell this is what I thought of the game:

+ Original
+ Good Story
+ Funny Cutscenes
+ Enjoyable Missions

- Minor camera issues[/QUOTE]

Yep, I have the same +'s and -'s now too. 20 hours seems short, I think I'm at 4 or 5 hours in and have only done a few missions and I'm still exploring the school and everything you can do. The stats page tracks EVERYTHING that is possibly worth tracking.

Damn has anyone passed shop class? I move the analog stick the right way but I keep getting it wrong for some reason.

[quote name='King']Damn has anyone passed shop class? I move the analog stick the right way but I keep getting it wrong for some reason.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I screwed up that one too and it hasn't come back.

bread's done
Back