Burnout Paradise - Gen. Discussion & Info

Dude, I was just looking at the map and was like you could put a Florida Keys Highway connecting a few islands! Yea I unlocked that Hummer as well, it dominates with Road Rage.^^ (Highest strength stat!)

Just downloaded Burnout 1.9 (1.2GB) for free from Xbox marketplace and started game, Burnout Paradise shows the new island on the map, when I drive along the beginning of the bridge, then it says I have to buy it.
Ok, though the Burnout store says it is not available, anyone see that?

Thanks
JJ

[quote name='j_j']Just downloaded Burnout 1.9 (1.2GB) for free from Xbox marketplace and started game, Burnout Paradise shows the new island on the map, when I drive along the beginning of the bridge, then it says I have to buy it.
Ok, though the Burnout store says it is not available, anyone see that?

Thanks
JJ[/QUOTE]That happened to me the first time I played with the update. The store itself didn't get updated until I quit to the dashboard and restarted again.

[quote name='BustaUppa']That happened to me the first time I played with the update. The store itself didn't get updated until I quit to the dashboard and restarted again.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info, I tried what you suggest, though I do not that see Burnout Paradise Big Surf Paradise in the xbox live marketplace at all for 1000 points, no mention of it.
JJ

[quote name='LinkinPrime']They're having issues with XBLM at the moment, a lot of stuff has disappeared, check back later.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I'll do that!!!! need to get one of those MS Points card also:cool:

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Anyone try that Cops vs Robbers thing...is it any fun? Is it easy to find people online to play with?[/QUOTE]
I'd sink my teeth into this pack as well but its mainly online focused and my connection isn't the best for finding games or staying low ping. From the amount of people that I've seen that have the icon (you have an icon in front of your name that shows what dlc you've got) I don't think you'll have a problem finding people to play with.

at 75%, with four toy cars unlocked. I kept tinkering with the menus, and the quick right-arrow menu trying to access freeburn; even went through the manual again.

finally decided to look it up online, and it turns out the 10 challenges on Big Surf Island are online only. [disappointed and wtf all at once!)

Gotta go find a gold code and some mature players willing to work together.....grumble grumble.

Yea I just unlocked the toy bootlegger and I love the damn thing lol. Sure enough I found the last Mega Jump, I haven't played this game in a long time trying to find things so I forgot about the Discovery info in the pause menu, *smacks forehead*. I'm enjoying the toy cars and think its really cool they have them in with the island content. If you get gold I'll work with you as I'm trying to get those 10 challenges as well.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']at 75%, with four toy cars unlocked. I kept tinkering with the menus, and the quick right-arrow menu trying to access freeburn; even went through the manual again.

finally decided to look it up online, and it turns out the 10 challenges on Big Surf Island are online only. [disappointed and wtf all at once!)

Gotta go find a gold code and some mature players willing to work together.....grumble grumble.[/QUOTE]

And all 490 challenges before that are online only too. I'm guessing you haven't done any of those either if you didn't know that. And there's pretty much no chance you're going to do all 500 challenges on one 48 hour code to unlock the Diamond P12. :drool:

[quote name='bs000']And all 490 challenges before that are online only too. [/QUOTE]

Are you serious?! What happened to enabling us to choose between offline vs online? This is really lame as chunks of the game are Arg, frustrating. [contemplates going back to continue my second run-through on RE5; currently at 4-1 or 4-2]

what are you talking about? The challenges have always been online only ever since the game came out. You need 2-8 people to complete the online challenges.

Wow, you two sure have tons of GamerScore. Much respect for you guys. :bow: :bow:

Let me ask a noob'ish question while I have this chance: [regarding the challenges]

1) Can I be online, as in silver membership, and complete these challenges while connected to the EA servers? Meaning do them by myself while online?

Or

2) Do I need to be an actual gold member, and be completing these challenges online with other players? Maybe it was just me, but I was under the impression the Big Surf Island challenges could be completed without others.

Any insight would be awesome, thanks Fellas!

Last edited by a moderator:
All the challenges are online, you need a gold membership, and you complete the challenges with the people online from 2-8 players. Maybe with a silver membership you can compete with online scores and times for the road rules.

All challenges are co-operative. Which means you have to do them with other people. And to play with other people you need a gold subscription. For the first 490 challenges you need to have a specified number of people for each challenge (anywhere between 2 and 8 players). There are no singleplayer challenges. For the 10 island challenges you can do all 10 of the challenges regardless of the number of players in the room.

Thanks for clarifying that, Fellas.

I think what's buggin' some people is that the Paradise License doesn't require challenges; while the Big Surf Island License includes the 10 challenges and make them seem mandatory. Nevermind the unlockables or achievements associated with either of them. Just a matter of completing 100% offline still sets you at 75% for the BSI license don't seem right.

Anyhow, this BSI release was good, I was done with 'vacationing' so I decided to pop back into Paradise and discovered whole new areas I had never even knew existed. :D

25% seems like alot for just 10 freeburn challenges. Did you win all events, find all smashes, billboards, mega jumps, beat all showtime and time road rules?

[quote name='bs000']25% seems like alot for just 10 freeburn challenges. Did you win all events, find all smashes, billboards, mega jumps, beat all showtime and time road rules?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I did. Only the 10 challenges + 2 locked vehicles remain = 25% difference. It's okay, I've moved on; bitter-sweet memories of BSI.

I have a really dumb question for you all. I just picked up Burnout Paradise and I can't for the life of me figure out how to use a custom soundtrack from an mp3 player. Can anyone explain this to me? thanks.

[quote name='Halo05']That's a feature? I had no idea.

At least you got a bump out of this post ;)[/QUOTE]

I have read that is a feature but I can't find instructions for it.

I dont think its a feature. At least when i tried playing my own soundtrack i had to do it off the music blade(pressing guide button during game and playing it through that). What was cool was the music in the game would stop, but you could still hear everything else. Once i stopped the music in the blade, the original music would go back on. I dunno if this is normally what it does with every game.

Interesting bump. Sorry not much help here either, but I do understand why you're asking. Burnout Paradise's soundtrack isn't good. It's not too often I have to go into the sound options editor to remove music; as was how the developers intended the game to be played or experienced, but with Paradise.....yeah, some of those tracks are an assault on your ears.

Custom soundtrack please, or mute that noise.

As one who uses custom soundtracks for every game your best bet is to bring up the mini dashboard with the guide button, move over one then down to select music. Your mp3 player should be as a source (I usually pick Y to play all from whatever source is highlighted), not quite sure about that though, as I can pick from two different options (hard drive and networked pc). This would be more so better of in the general 360 discussion I'm guessing. Paradise has some good tracks and some bad so just skip em till you find something you like if above doesn't work for you.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']Interesting bump. Sorry not much help here either, but I do understand why you're asking. Burnout Paradise's soundtrack isn't good. It's not too often I have to go into the sound options editor to remove music; as was how the developers intended the game to be played or experienced, but with Paradise.....yeah, some of those tracks are an assault on your ears.

Custom soundtrack please, or mute that noise.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of the soundtrack, this game made me like the avril lavigne boyfriend song. LOL.

[quote name='Xevious']I have a really dumb question for you all. I just picked up Burnout Paradise and I can't for the life of me figure out how to use a custom soundtrack from an mp3 player. Can anyone explain this to me? thanks.[/QUOTE]

On the 360, you use the 360s music player to play music from the MP3 player. You can find it on the dashboard, or by pressing the guide button and going to the media blade.

The custom soundtracks feature you're looking for is in the PS3 version only. It was patched into the game a few months after it was released. The reason for it being on PS3 only is that the PS3 doesn't have a music player you can use in-game like the 360, and Criterion wanted both versions to have similar features. Wasn't that nice of them?

[quote name='bs000']On the 360, you use the 360s music player to play music from the MP3 player. You can find it on the dashboard, or by pressing the guide button and going to the media blade.

The custom soundtracks feature you're looking for is in the PS3 version only. It was patched into the game a few months after it was released. The reason for it being on PS3 only is that the PS3 doesn't have a music player you can use in-game like the 360, and Criterion wanted both versions to have similar features. Wasn't that nice of them?[/QUOTE]

No, because the ps3 version has internet browser built in and the criterion website can be viewed from within the game (link).

[quote name='bs000']On the 360, you use the 360s music player to play music from the MP3 player. You can find it on the dashboard, or by pressing the guide button and going to the media blade.

The custom soundtracks feature you're looking for is in the PS3 version only. It was patched into the game a few months after it was released. The reason for it being on PS3 only is that the PS3 doesn't have a music player you can use in-game like the 360, and Criterion wanted both versions to have similar features. Wasn't that nice of them?[/QUOTE]

I know that Burnout 4 on the previous Xbox (not the 360) version, you were allowed to play a custom soundtrack from the hard drive. I think this is a disappointing step back for this current version of the Burnout series.

To be fair, the soundtrack is slightly better than the other Burnout games but not by much. I agree with 7th Number that I started liking that Avril Lavigne Boyfriend song..Its pretty catchy.

Just to weigh in on the soundtrack for a nearly two year old game...

While I don't think I'd listen to many of the Burnout Paradise songs outside of the game, most of them fit very well into the game. They're very well suited for driving balls out, stupid fast.

I like when one of the classical music tracks come up, it can be an oddly serene experience when you're doing a Road Rage event with like Beethoven or something playing in the background!

Yeah they used to only have the Beethoven playing when paused and then they patched it in to play along with the rest of the songs. I don't mind those so much as the boring old Burnout 2 and 3 songs they have on the playlist.

incorrect. You guys can do challenges and stuff at the same time, but if you want to do the cops and robbers mode, you need to all have it.

I did the math on how much it costs for all DLC for this game. 4880 (or 5280 w/ time savers) MS points. What is that? $61 or $66 with time savers. Sure, the content looks nice, but it is not another full Burnout game's worth of content. I refuse to buy this DLC on principle. Now, if a GOTY type disc were to come out for $30, I'd jump all over it.

fuck overpriced DLC.

hey, i'm bumping this thread because i just found it and i'm pretty dang close to completing this and i have played online no more than once. wondered if the CAG community is still active online or not.

It's a TRAP! There's a DLC bundle coming out in February. In other news, I just bought Big Surf Island after getting 100%. Big Surf Island is great, but don't buy it until the bundle. I'm going to go kill myself for wasting $12.50.

edit:
burnoutfffuuu.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously I bought that DLC the first week it came out and I haven't touched this game in a long time so I don't know what Criterion is doing lol.

have you guys heard the news they are going to stop with the DLC...i guess maybe they are slated to work on the next nfs title....criterion working on nfs would be cool

Don't be too shocked if the price drops/bundles only hit for the PS3.
The Criterion people were always very vocal on their podcasts about how much they prefer the PS3.
I think it speaks volumes that they came out with the tool for the PS3 that shows which gates/billboards/etc you have not got yet, but never came out for the tool for the 360.
I imagine the price drops will be for the 360 as well. I'm simply saying the developers never showed much love for the 360 (when compared to the PS3).

[quote name='sunnysky']Don't be too shocked if the price drops/bundles only hit for the PS3.
The Criterion people were always very vocal on their podcasts about how much they prefer the PS3.
I think it speaks volumes that they came out with the tool for the PS3 that shows which gates/billboards/etc you have not got yet, but never came out for the tool for the 360.
I imagine the price drops will be for the 360 as well. I'm simply saying the developers never showed much love for the 360 (when compared to the PS3).[/QUOTE]

Wow, I was unaware of that. That's too bad, because I don't have my PS3 anymore. I loved the game so much, I already had the game for 360, but ended up downloading the Ultimate Box version for PS3 AND buying BSI. When my PS3 died, bought BSI as part of the EA 800 pt back deal.
I would love to get back into this game, and a tool like this on 360 would help a lot. I always feel like I'm always in the same parts of town.

Are there any other racing games out there that's similar to Burnout Paradise? I also have Forza 2/3 and Gran Turismo 5 prologue but realistic racers aren't as fun.

Oh man get to playin' Grid man, it's my favorite arcade>realistic racing game which before was PGR 3&4. I've finished the campaign for Grid twice and now I usually just play Race Day events which are cool because you can get races that normally wouldn't occur, like Prototype cars on drift tracks or the tracks where the muscle cars usually raced on.

bread's done
Back