Bush Administration Posts Nuke Building Plans Online

dennis_t

CAGiversary!
Just in case you weren't sure this is the most incompetent administration in American history, led by the nose by arrogant and idiotic neocon boobs........

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/03/w...&ex=1163134800&partner=MYWAY&pagewanted=print

U.S. Web Archive Is Said to Reveal a Nuclear Primer
By WILLIAM J. BROAD
Last March, the federal government set up a Web site to make public a vast archive of Iraqi documents captured during the war. The Bush administration did so under pressure from Congressional Republicans who had said they hoped to “leverage the Internet” to find new evidence of the prewar dangers posed by Saddam Hussein.

But in recent weeks, the site has posted some documents that weapons experts say are a danger themselves: detailed accounts of Iraq’s secret nuclear research before the 1991 Persian Gulf war. The documents, the experts say, constitute a basic guide to building an atom bomb.

Last night, the government shut down the Web site after The New York Times asked about complaints from weapons experts and arms-control officials. A spokesman for the director of national intelligence said access to the site had been suspended “pending a review to ensure its content is appropriate for public viewing.”

Officials of the International Atomic Energy Agency, fearing that the information could help states like Iran develop nuclear arms, had privately protested last week to the American ambassador to the agency, according to European diplomats who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the issue’s sensitivity. One diplomat said the agency’s technical experts “were shocked” at the public disclosures.

Early this morning, a spokesman for Gregory L. Schulte, the American ambassador, denied that anyone from the agency had approached Mr. Schulte about the Web site.

The documents, roughly a dozen in number, contain charts, diagrams, equations and lengthy narratives about bomb building that nuclear experts who have viewed them say go beyond what is available elsewhere on the Internet and in other public forums. For instance, the papers give detailed information on how to build nuclear firing circuits and triggering explosives, as well as the radioactive cores of atom bombs.

“For the U.S. to toss a match into this flammable area is very irresponsible,” said A. Bryan Siebert, a former director of classification at the federal Department of Energy, which runs the nation’s nuclear arms program. “There’s a lot of things about nuclear weapons that are secret and should remain so.”

The government had received earlier warnings about the contents of the Web site. Last spring, after the site began posting old Iraqi documents about chemical weapons, United Nations arms-control officials in New York won the withdrawal of a report that gave information on how to make tabun and sarin, nerve agents that kill by causing respiratory failure.

The campaign for the online archive was mounted by conservative publications and politicians, who said that the nation’s spy agencies had failed adequately to analyze the 48,000 boxes of documents seized since the March 2003 invasion. With the public increasingly skeptical about the rationale and conduct of the war, the chairmen of the House and Senate intelligence committees argued that wide analysis and translation of the documents — most of them in Arabic — would reinvigorate the search for clues that Mr. Hussein had resumed his unconventional arms programs in the years before the invasion. American search teams never found such evidence.

The director of national intelligence, John D. Negroponte, had resisted setting up the Web site, which some intelligence officials felt implicitly raised questions about the competence and judgment of government analysts. But President Bush approved the site’s creation after Congressional Republicans proposed legislation to force the documents’ release.

In his statement last night, Mr. Negroponte’s spokesman, Chad Kolton, said, “While strict criteria had already been established to govern posted documents, the material currently on the Web site, as well as the procedures used to post new documents, will be carefully reviewed before the site becomes available again.”

It'll be a relief when the democrats are in control of the legislative and executive branches again by 2009.

dennis, if you are going to post an article to back up a claim, at least post the ENTIRE article, lest you let your partisan hackery show for all to see.

from the same article:

Among the dozens of documents in English were Iraqi reports written in the 1990s and in 2002 for United Nations inspectors in charge of making sure Iraq had abandoned its unconventional arms programs after the Persian Gulf war. Experts say that at the time, Mr. Hussein’s scientists were on the verge of building an atom bomb, as little as a year away.

thanks for the link to the article dennis, it shows what intelligent americans have known all along; Saddam was on the verge of becoming a nuclear threat, and, had he been allowed to go on unchecked, the WMD debate would have been all to real.

dennis, I had no idea that you cared; thanks for that little gift.

[quote name='Veritas1204']EZB, if you are going to post an article to back up a claim, at least post the ENTIRE article, lest you let your partisan hackery show for all to see.

from the same article:

Among the dozens of documents in English were Iraqi reports written in the 1990s and in 2002 for United Nations inspectors in charge of making sure Iraq had abandoned its unconventional arms programs after the Persian Gulf war. Experts say that at the time, Mr. Hussein’s scientists were on the verge of building an atom bomb, as little as a year away.

thanks for the link to the article EZB, it shows what intelligent americans have known all along; Saddam was on the verge of becoming a nuclear threat, and, had he been allowed to go on unchecked, the WMD debate would have been all to real.

EZB, I had no idea that you cared; thanks for that little gift.[/quote]

Uhhh, EZB wasn't the one that posted the article or is the OP. The OP is dennis_t...

[quote name='Veritas1204']^^^^^thanks for the heads up;

EZB, a thousand apoligies; I smelled the stench of this thread and thought for sure it was you.[/quote]

wow, if that's an apology, I would hate to see an insult...

[quote name='E-Z-B']It'll be a relief when the democrats are in control of the legislative and executive branches again by 2009.[/quote]Yeah, it will. It will also be a relief to build an entire new country after it gets blown up sometime in 2010.

[quote name='Kayden']Now I if I could only get some plutonium from the Libians at my local mall.[/QUOTE]

There's some at my local Wal-Mart for $1.99 per pound, but YMMV, as the street date isn't til next week.

EDIT: And wait a minute, if I'm reading it right, the article is saying that Saddam abandoned his unconventional weapons program in the early 90's, right?

[quote name='evanft']There's some at my local Wal-Mart for $1.99 per pound, but YMMV, as the street date isn't til next week.

EDIT: And wait a minute, if I'm reading it right, the article is saying that Saddam abandoned his unconventional weapons program in the early 90's, right?[/quote]No, you're reading isn't right.

"Among the dozens of documents in English were Iraqi reports written in the 1990s and in 2002 for United Nations inspectors in charge of making sure Iraq had abandoned its unconventional arms programs after the Persian Gulf war. Experts say that at the time, Mr. Hussein’s scientists were on the verge of building an atom bomb, as little as a year away."

I believe that paragraph implies that the documents, written as late as 2002, were written for UN inspectors, and that even during the inspections, Hussein's mad scientists were "on the verge of building an atom bomb." So, you can't really abandon your weapons program, and still be "on the verge of building an atom bomb."

[quote name='Kayden']Now I if I could only get some plutonium from the Libians at my local mall.[/QUOTE]

"Who do you think? The Libyans!!!" :rofl:

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I believe that paragraph implies that the documents, written as late as 2002, were written for UN inspectors, and that even during the inspections, Hussein's mad scientists were "on the verge of building an atom bomb." So, you can't really abandon your weapons program, and still be "on the verge of building an atom bomb."[/QUOTE]

The documents concerning the nukes were all pre Gulf War I.

From the article:

But in recent weeks, the site has posted some documents that weapons experts say are a danger themselves: detailed accounts of Iraq’s secret nuclear research before the 1991 Persian Gulf war. The documents, the experts say, constitute a basic guide to building an atom bomb,

Of course, you could say they were documents written in 2002 about Iraq's pre-Gulf War nuclear program, but that would be grasping for straws.

[quote name='E-Z-B']It'll be a relief when the democrats are in control of the legislative and executive branches again by 2009.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it will. Then they can take the blame for moronic government employees putting up other information.

Got any old pinball parts?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I'm sure it will. Then they can take the blame for moronic government employees putting up other information.[/QUOTE]

Ummmm.....read the part of the story where Bush orders the stuff put on the internet over objections of intelligence officers due to pressure by right wingers.

Not moronic government employees. Moronic president.

[quote name='dennis_t']Ummmm.....read the part of the story where Bush orders the stuff put on the internet over objections of intelligence officers due to pressure by right wingers.

Not moronic government employees. Moronic president.[/QUOTE]

The article tells me that Bush ordered the site created.

Look, I know it's a very popular thing to hate the President, and it usually doesn't matter what party he represents. I know it's an extremely popular thing to hate this President for his handling of foreign affairs and his complete lack of interest for domestic affairs. If you claim the man had to get his family to pay for his MBA, do you really expect me to also believe the claim he went through every single document and approved it's posting on the website? Or even posted it himself? The attention span people claim he doesn't have doesn't support it.

He's not smart enough to spell nuclear, but he's smart enough to engineer a government conspiracy where not only do we blow up one of our own centers of commerce and part of the Pentagon, but we can successfully blame it on a guy the previous administration not really care enough to personally deal? And further, to post nuclear plans on a government website so these same so-called terrorists could launch an attack on us where we can either a) save the day and prove his anti-terror plan is working, or b) let them blow something up and let him claim further and farther reaching powers like a King?

I know you didn't say that, and hopefully aren't thinking it. But I know some people on here do, and I want to quash that arguement before it even gets started. We're blaming the head coach for calling a pass play when the third-string QB throws a game-winning interception. It wasn't a great idea, but the man didn't throw the pass. How about we place the blame for posting of the nuke plans squarely where it needs to be: on the person or department responsible for not blotting out or removing questionable material. I don't think we need to post intelligence documents to try and prove a point that is already so moot, but until you give me a quote by Bush that says 'I decided it was a good idea to post nuchular plans online,' I won't belive it was all the bad man's fault.

And even if you do, I might start thinking....'If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.'

[quote name='CocheseUGA']The article tells me that Bush ordered the site created.

Look, I know it's a very popular thing to hate the President, and it usually doesn't matter what party he represents. I know it's an extremely popular thing to hate this President for his handling of foreign affairs and his complete lack of interest for domestic affairs. If you claim the man had to get his family to pay for his MBA, do you really expect me to also believe the claim he went through every single document and approved it's posting on the website? Or even posted it himself?[/QUOTE]

It is just as bad that he was ignorant of what the documents contained and then ignored the advice of people who DID actually know what was in them and had the documents posted anyway.

That is just sad man, I mean I actually feel pity for you.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']The article tells me that Bush ordered the site created.

Look, I know it's a very popular thing to hate the President, and it usually doesn't matter what party he represents. I know it's an extremely popular thing to hate this President for his handling of foreign affairs and his complete lack of interest for domestic affairs. If you claim the man had to get his family to pay for his MBA, do you really expect me to also believe the claim he went through every single document and approved it's posting on the website? Or even posted it himself? The attention span people claim he doesn't have doesn't support it.

He's not smart enough to spell nuclear, but he's smart enough to engineer a government conspiracy where not only do we blow up one of our own centers of commerce and part of the Pentagon, but we can successfully blame it on a guy the previous administration not really care enough to personally deal? And further, to post nuclear plans on a government website so these same so-called terrorists could launch an attack on us where we can either a) save the day and prove his anti-terror plan is working, or b) let them blow something up and let him claim further and farther reaching powers like a King?

I know you didn't say that, and hopefully aren't thinking it. But I know some people on here do, and I want to quash that arguement before it even gets started. We're blaming the head coach for calling a pass play when the third-string QB throws a game-winning interception. It wasn't a great idea, but the man didn't throw the pass. How about we place the blame for posting of the nuke plans squarely where it needs to be: on the person or department responsible for not blotting out or removing questionable material. I don't think we need to post intelligence documents to try and prove a point that is already so moot, but until you give me a quote by Bush that says 'I decided it was a good idea to post nuchular plans online,' I won't belive it was all the bad man's fault.

And even if you do, I might start thinking....'If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.'[/QUOTE]

Where does the buck stop for a fuck-up of this magnitude?

This isn't about hate, this is about accountability. I'm surprised you would not want to hold your president accountable for nuclear documents being posted on a web site he ordered created.

I thought the Republicans were all about personal responsiblity. When did they stop demanding it of their highest-ranked official? And since they've stopped demanding it of Bush, doesn't that eliminate their moral authority to pass judgment on others who have shown a lack of personal responsibility?

[quote name='dennis_t']

I thought the Republicans were all about personal responsiblity.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't know.

Where does the buck stop for page scandals? Is that the President's fault? Where does the buck stop for military personnel commiting rape and murder? Is that the President's fault?

I've already said it was a bad idea to post information to persuade an arguement that you've already clearly lost. I can't take it past there blaming the office for something one of the under-secretaries posted. Instead of defending anyone, I'm just being pragmatic.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I wouldn't know.

Where does the buck stop for page scandals?[/QUOTE]

The Speaker of the house at least, he knew about it and let it continue.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I can't take it past there blaming the office for something one of the under-secretaries posted.[/QUOTE]

Bush ordered it done, despite protests.

It it ok to have an opinion, even really stupid opinions but what you are doing is a just a complete denial of reality.

media-questions-dubya.jpg

[quote name='Msut77']The Speaker of the house at least, he knew about it and let it continue.

Bush ordered it done, despite protests.

It it ok to have an opinion, even really stupid opinions but what you are doing is a just a complete denial of reality.[/QUOTE]

It's obvious you live in your own little world. That's ok, it's not worth my time or effort anymore to debate you or anyone else.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']It's obvious you live in your own little world. That's ok, it's not worth my time or effort anymore to debate you or anyone else.[/QUOTE]

Now this I can translate.

You are admitting you are a sad sad impotent fool.

[quote name='Msut77']Now this I can translate.

You are admitting you are a sad sad impotent fool.[/QUOTE]

The two little girls I'm looking at now would prove that untrue.

No, I simply have more important things to do than to argue with a human equivalent of a brick wall.

All liberals are right, and everyone else is wrong. Keep thinking that way, I'm sure it will get you far in life.

See ya later vs board.

[quote name='evanft']You don't need an erection to have kids.[/QUOTE]

Who says they are his? Five bucks they look like the Mailman.

bread's done
Back