Bush to give commencement address at Oklahoma State University

b3b0p

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
My graduation is ruined.

Page A6 of the Tulsa World.

Now I am officially embarrassed to be an OSU graduate.

First, Boon Pickens.

Second, 100 Acre Woods.

Third, Bush. He has a kindergarten literacy level. Listening to him speak on TV is embarrassing.

I can only imagine the protests, parking, people that will be there now.

WTF?!?! Why, of all places is he coming to Oklahoma State University? How did he choose OSU? I'm confused and dazed.

Well, I have to go. My parents are going. They have made big plans have been basically waiting 6 years for this.

I just am not a fan of Bush. There has been a lot of bad things happening that have made me feel a shamed of soon becoming an OSU alumni and this is just the final tipping point.

Give me a fucking break, he's our President for goodness sakes. Would you like some cheese to go with that whine? Quit acting like a stuck-up, emo brat.

I don't care what party, I'd consider it an honor to attend any event where a President or former President spoke. That would be pretty awesome. Here you are dreading your graduation, crying about how your big day is ruined because you have to look at the President. Woe is you. My God, what a baby. Here's a tip, letting political disagreements affect you like that isn't a healthy way to go through life.

[quote name='Ace-Of-War']Give me a fucking break, he's our President for goodness sakes. Would you like some cheese to go with that whine? Quit acting like a stuck-up, emo brat.

I don't care what party, I'd consider it an honor to attend any event where a President or former President spoke. That would be pretty awesome. Here you are dreading your graduation, crying about how your big day is ruined because you have to look at the President. Woe is you. My God, what a baby. Here's a tip, letting political disagreements affect you like that isn't a healthy way to go through life.[/quote]

If you want to attack someones maturity, it's best not to write an immature response.

Emo brat?

Whatever.

First, it's the President, neat.

Second, it's Bush, so I'm not thrilled. But he's the president, so it will still be neat to say the President spoke at my commencement.

Third, why OSU? Why Stillwater, OK?

It's just perplexing. I don't understand it.

Plus, if you were actually here, and understood all the political propaganda that has been going on at the university and the town in general, you would have a feel where I am coming from.

I'm not the only person who feels this way. I have talked to and read many alumni letters to the editor in the college and local news paper. Many people are ashamed about what is going on. Many have said they are protesting what is going on at the university in their own way: no more season tickets, sporting events, donations, alumni membership renewals,... They don't want to have anything to do with the university until the president (of OSU) and his goons leave and Boon Pickens is out of the picture.

I feel pretty certain the only reason Bush is coming is because the eminent domain and Boone Pickens, some rich oil tycoon who has just donated near $200 million to our university in less than a year.

Just because I feel a certain way about the path the school I am graduating from is going doesn't affect my life. I just found this out. I was quite surprised and didn't even believe it until I read it in the paper. I'm ashamed at what the school is doing and is treating the people they are taking houses away from.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']If you want to attack someones maturity, it's best not to write an immature response.[/quote]

I mean come on, the guy makes a thread crying about how his graduation is ruined because he has to hear the President speak. Cry me a river man, I wish the biggest worry on my mind was how I'm going to sit through a Presidential address that praises my efforts as a college graduate. If it bothers you that much bebop, protest it with all those people. Personally I've never heard of someone who would go to OSU looking for a liberal campus though.

[quote name='Ace-Of-War']I mean come on, the guy makes a thread crying about how his graduation is ruined because he has to hear the President speak. Cry me a river man, I wish the biggest worry on my mind was how I'm going to sit through a Presidential address that praises my efforts as a college graduate. If it bothers you that much bebop, protest it with all those people. Personally I've never heard of someone who would go to OSU looking for a liberal campus though.[/quote]

Obviously you are a Bush supporter because this doesnt bother you. Either that or you are politically apathetic.....

Well that boone pickens thing seems pretty fucked up too, they can really use eminent domain to help their football team?

I don't see why bush is making a commencement speech, shouldn't he have better things to do? Anyway, yeah, I'd hate to listen to him talk, but the traffic backing shit up will probably be most annoying, sucks for you.

Does your school have a summer graduation? If it bothers you that much (I understand why you are upset), maybe you can attend a later ceremony with a different speaker. I know at my school they have a ceremony in May and then another one in August (and January) for people finishing school at those times.

[quote name='Ace-Of-War']I mean come on, the guy makes a thread crying about how his graduation is ruined because he has to hear the President speak. Cry me a river man, I wish the biggest worry on my mind was how I'm going to sit through a Presidential address that praises my efforts as a college graduate. If it bothers you that much bebop, protest it with all those people. Personally I've never heard of someone who would go to OSU looking for a liberal campus though.[/quote]

Maybe one day you'll have the pleasure of listening to president Hillary Clinton give your graduation speech.

I think it's pretty cool that Bush is going to be there. He spoke at Auburn once and the atmosphere around the visit was amazing. Don't look at it in a partisan way; you'll be able to say, "hey, a president spoke at my graduation." I got some lame state representative. I think you win.

[quote name='munch'] Don't look at it in a partisan way; [/quote]

That is not easy to do in these times.

[quote name='Xevious']That is not easy to do in these times.[/QUOTE]

It's never been. This isn't the worse American politics has ever been. We've seen worse. I don't see how having the president there could ruin your graduation. It should be a cool event and 40 years down the road you can be able to say, "The president of the United States spoke at my graduation." That's pretty neat.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Maybe one day you'll have the pleasure of listening to president Hillary Clinton give your graduation speech.[/QUOTE]

Owned.

[quote name='evanft']Owned.[/quote]

First of all. :roll:

Wow, talk about a word that has lost all meaning because of posters like yourself.

Secondly. Oklahoma State is not the first university to take property from landowners. There is a university about 90 miles away, the university of oklahoma, that took land to make parking lots.

[quote name='munch']It's never been. This isn't the worse American politics has ever been. We've seen worse. I don't see how having the president there could ruin your graduation. It should be a cool event and 40 years down the road you can be able to say, "The president of the United States spoke at my graduation." That's pretty neat.[/quote]
I can understand where you are coming from. However, you have to look at it from another point of view. Just because a person is elected president doesn't necessarilly make them a person of value. Just like Paris Hilton is given a TV show, it doesn't make necessarilly make her someone of interest to all people. Its all depends on a person's value system.

I personally dont give a shit if I met George Bush or not. In my eyes, he is a worthless human being. Even some Republicans would care less if they meet him; They are just happy that a democrat is not in office and that is the only principle they care about.

[quote name='Xevious']Obviously you are a Bush supporter because this doesnt bother you. Either that or you are politically apathetic.....[/quote]
I'll never get that about the left, whereas ya'll personally hate President Bush with a passion and wish him ill-will, I harbor no such resentment toward any politician. To me, Democrat or Republican, I'd always be excited to meet an elected official, even if I disagree with him. I mean, I can understand not being a big fan of this person or that person, but is that really reason to build such hostility? None of us have even met the man, yet you let a bunch of moonbats and radicals feed you propoganda true or false that tells you to hate this man with all of your body and soul. Just because I want to hear what one side has to say doesn't make me a "Bush supporter," it makes me politically informed of all sides.

I guess ya'll really would censor anyone who spoke up against liberalism.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Maybe one day you'll have the pleasure of listening to president Hillary Clinton give your graduation speech.[/quote]
Should that be the course of events, I would indeed consider it a great pleasure and privilege. I don't necessarily agree with her on most things, but I don't want to censor free speech just because I don't happen to agree with the speaker like the rest of you.

[quote name='Ace-Of-War']I'll never get that about the left, whereas ya'll personally hate President Bush with a passion and wish him ill-will, I harbor no such resentment toward any politician.[/QUOTE]

Clinton?

[quote name='Ace-Of-War']I'll never get that about the left, whereas ya'll personally hate President Bush with a passion and wish him ill-will, I harbor no such resentment toward any politician. To me, Democrat or Republican, I'd always be excited to meet an elected official, even if I disagree with him. I mean, I can understand not being a big fan of this person or that person, but is that really reason to build such hostility? None of us have even met the man, yet you let a bunch of moonbats and radicals feed you propoganda true or false that tells you to hate this man with all of your body and soul. Just because I want to hear what one side has to say doesn't make me a "Bush supporter," it makes me politically informed of all sides.

I guess ya'll really would censor anyone who spoke up against liberalism.

Should that be the course of events, I would indeed consider it a great pleasure and privilege. I don't necessarily agree with her on most things, but I don't want to censor free speech just because I don't happen to agree with the speaker like the rest of you.[/quote]

Extending an invitation or not to a speaker isn't censorship. Expecting people to just go along with it because a powerful person is speaking is more akin to censorship, since you're expecting them to be quiet about their opinion.

Some of us aren't so much concerned about power as we are the quality of the person. Bush is the president, when he gives a speech he's not there because he's george W. bush. He gives a speech because he's the president, just as bill clinton only gives speeches because he was the president. These people wouldn't be in any demand without their political careers. Therefore, we have every reason to base our opinion of him on his conduct as the president.

Besides, I've seen how you describe liberal positions, they're far from an accurate portrayal of the opposing side that is required to be considered "politically informed of all sides".

[quote name='Msut77']Clinton?[/quote]

Yes you moron Clinton, half of my post was about how I would sincerely enjoy attending a speech by either former President Clinton or Sen. Clinton.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Extending an invitation or not to a speaker isn't censorship. Expecting people to just go along with it because a powerful person is speaking is more akin to censorship, since you're expecting them to be quiet about their opinion.

Some of us aren't so much concerned about power as we are the quality of the person. Bush is the president, when he gives a speech he's not there because he's george W. bush. He gives a speech because he's the president, just as bill clinton only gives speeches because he was the president. These people wouldn't be in any demand without their political careers. Therefore, we have every reason to base our opinion of him on his conduct as the president.

Besides, I've seen how you describe liberal positions, they're far from an accurate portrayal of the opposing side that is required to be considered "politically informed of all sides".[/quote]

No, my point is if it were up to ya'll you would specifically ban people from speaking at engagements such as a graduation from a public university because you do not agree with them. Censor is apt, especially when it seems like such a bizzare concept for you or beb0p to want or even allow someone to speak who you don't agree with politically.

I'd hardly use the phrase "just get to" when we're talking about elected Presidents. It's not like becoming President of the United States is some small achievement for anyone. Nevertheless, it just goes to further my point. You have absolutely nothing on President Bush as a person, whether you support his ideas or not, yet you let these purely emotional, vile assumptions of the right wing dictate how you treat people who have different opinions on issues.

Despite what you think you know about me, I do take in every side of any given issue. You can quote me on it too, I'd gladly go to a speech given by Sen. Clinton, or any Congressional representative for that matter.

[quote name='Ace-Of-War']Yes you moron Clinton, half of my post was about how I would sincerely enjoy attending a speech by either former President Clinton or Sen. Clinton. [/QUOTE]

And the point is that no rational person believes you.

[quote name='Ace-Of-War']Yes you moron Clinton, half of my post was about how I would sincerely enjoy attending a speech by either former President Clinton or Sen. Clinton.

No, my point is if it were up to ya'll you would specifically ban people from speaking at engagements such as a graduation from a public university because you do not agree with them. Censor is apt, especially when it seems like such a bizzare concept for you or beb0p to want or even allow someone to speak who you don't agree with politically.

I want speakers I like. If I'm in control I'd pick speakers I'd like. No ones being censored. Whoever I pick you could say the people I didn't pick are being censored for X reason.

I'd hardly use the phrase "just get to" when we're talking about elected Presidents. It's not like becoming President of the United States is some small achievement for anyone. Nevertheless, it just goes to further my point. You have absolutely nothing on President Bush as a person, whether you support his ideas or not, yet you let these purely emotional, vile assumptions of the right wing dictate how you treat people who have different opinions on issues.

You couldn't have made a better statement to dispute your claim about "taking in every side". Suggesting it is just a gut reaction based of vile assumptions is ridiculous.

As I stated, they are political. If someone is only important due to their political position, in this case president, then that's how I will judge them. That's why they're famous, that's why they're speaking there. And they will be speaking in the capacity of president.

Despite what you think you know about me, I do take in every side of any given issue. You can quote me on it too, I'd gladly go to a speech given by Sen. Clinton, or any Congressional representative for that matter.

Taking in every side is easy. The question is taking it in accurately. For example, rush limbaugh may explain a proposed universal health care system, but he won't due it in an unbiased way. And you wouldn't look to the "people eating tasty animals" founder for an accurate portral of the actual PETA. I've seen nothing in your posts indicating you can view things in opposition to you in a relatively unbiased way.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']I want speakers I like. If I'm in control I'd pick speakers I'd like. No ones being censored. Whoever I pick you could say the people I didn't pick are being censored for X reason.[/quote]
We're talking about a state university, a public university. You don't pick speakers based on who you like or don't like, this is a state university. What you're talking about is instituting a government ban against any speaker who doesn't agree with you to speak. If you were in control of a private university then I would have no problem with you choosing the most liberal people you can find, but I would value objectivity and non-partisanship over anyone's bias in a state university.

[quote name='beb0p']You couldn't have made a better statement to dispute your claim about "taking in every side". Suggesting it is just a gut reaction based of vile assumptions is ridiculous.

As I stated, they are political. If someone is only important due to their political position, in this case president, then that's how I will judge them. That's why they're famous, that's why they're speaking there. And they will be speaking in the capacity of president.[/quote]
Political? Come on man, it's a fucking graduation. I'd think we could at least agree that graduation ceremonies have nothing to do with politics, but I guess I'm not that surprised you'd want to make that a political issue too.

I feel pretty certain the only reason Bush is coming is because the eminent domain and Boone Pickens, some rich oil tycoon who has just donated near $200 million to our university in less than a year.
It's obviously personal. He's just making up some assumptions that President Bush is going to see one of his old, rich, and white, oil buddies, seize some private property, and donate more money. He just has some whining session about how much he hates President Bush being there. It's some pent up emotions of negativity toward the right wing or whatever and it is. The nation is so polarized that Democrats would protest the President just being there. He's not there to talk about how we should take away Social Security, he's there to congradulate students on graduating. It's a damn shame that people like you have that much hate that you would rather miss your own graduation than listen to a President talk.

Taking in every side is easy. The question is taking it in accurately. For example, rush limbaugh may explain a proposed universal health care system, but he won't due it in an unbiased way. And you wouldn't look to the "people eating tasty animals" founder for an accurate portral of the actual PETA. I've seen nothing in your posts indicating you can view things in opposition to you in a relatively unbiased way.
Just as a sidenote, I love it how you people try to make a stand or whatever by specifically screwing over your own grammar skills. I can just see you at your keyboard laughing about how you won't capitalize Rush Limbaugh even though you know the first letter in names always gets capitalized. Take that rush limbaugh! hahahaha!!!

Again, whatever you think you know about me is just whatever distorted assumption you have of how the average conservative acts. I do listen to all points of view, but I also take everything at face value. Hell, just watching the media I'm already getting the liberal side ;)

Seriously though, I remember I was really looking forward to that Meet the Press when NBC had both Howard Dean and Ken Mehlman. Then Dr. Dean had declined to debate Mehlman for some reason and they had to have seperate segments. It was still a good show.

[quote name='Ace-Of-War']We're talking about a state university, a public university. You don't pick speakers based on who you like or don't like, this is a state university. What you're talking about is instituting a government ban against any speaker who doesn't agree with you to speak. If you were in control of a private university then I would have no problem with you choosing the most liberal people you can find, but I would value objectivity and non-partisanship over anyone's bias in a state university. [/quote]

You don't throw a dart at a board and see who randomly comes up. There is a subjective judgement here. You pick ones that best fit the school, student body, and personal choice.

I'm not sure what government ban you're talking about. It's like saying "they're instituting a government policy against hiring people who you don't think will make good employees"

Just as a sidenote, I love it how you people try to make a stand or whatever by specifically screwing over your own grammar skills. I can just see you at your keyboard laughing about how you won't capitalize Rush Limbaugh even though you know the first letter in names always gets capitalized. Take that rush limbaugh! hahahaha!!!

This wouldn't be funny even if this comment was true. Considering it's not, it's just sad.

Do you really think I was even paying attention to my grammar?

Again, whatever you think you know about me is just whatever distorted assumption you have of how the average conservative acts.

What assumptions about the "average conservative" do I make?

And just for the record, I don't think of you as an average conservative.

I do listen to all points of view, but I also take everything at face value. Hell, just watching the media I'm already getting the liberal side ;)

The media is generally liberal to you, generally conservative to me. But if you're complaining about hearing the liberal side then you apparently don't watch fox.

A couple former alumni have written in to the local rag ("News Press") about this.

One of them said it was because no other University would have Bush.

The other said he was ashamed and thought it had to do with our school president, formerly from Texas Tech (and he brought his TT "goons"), Boone Picken (TX Oil Man), and the 100 acre woods. He also said he would not make any more contributions to the University. He was from California if I remember.

[quote name='Ace-Of-War']I mean come on, the guy makes a thread crying about how his graduation is ruined because he has to hear the President speak. Cry me a river man, I wish the biggest worry on my mind was how I'm going to sit through a Presidential address that praises my efforts as a college graduate. If it bothers you that much bebop, protest it with all those people. Personally I've never heard of someone who would go to OSU looking for a liberal campus though.[/QUOTE]
Crying?

Ruined?

Hardly see it that way.

I'm not going to protest it. Like I said, it's the President, neat, cool, I want to see it, but it's also Bush and I don't agree with him on many things he has said and done in the past.

Sorry if I came off super pissed or crying. I'm not. I'm really just somewhat shocked, still even. The president, at OSU, as in Oklahoma? Just too,... weird?

[quote name='b3b0p']Sorry if I came off super pissed or crying. I'm not. I'm really just somewhat shocked, still even. The president, at OSU, as in Oklahoma? Just too,... weird?[/quote]

You seem like a nice enough guy, and I think I understand where you are coming from. I lumped you in with the wrong crowd too quickly but the track record of this forum speaks for itself. I just think it's ridiculous, it's not as if you go to Berkley or something. When you go to a school like OSU, we're talking midwest, central Bush country here, you have to expect that the campus is going to generally lean to the right to begin with. It's like saying you go to a private Catholic university and you're shocked to find they would have a religious speaker. Either way, disagree with him or not I think you are looking at this one the wrong way my friend. This isn't a political stunt, President Bush isn't going to be running for any office again. I really think you should take it as an honor that you get to see the President speak.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']You don't throw a dart at a board and see who randomly comes up. There is a subjective judgement here. You pick ones that best fit the school, student body, and personal choice.[/quote]

Well, let's see: Midwest, red state, Republican President... hmm... Is it really that shocking of a call?

Do you really think I was even paying attention to my grammar?

No, you weren't.

What assumptions about the "average conservative" do I make?

And just for the record, I don't think of you as an average conservative.

That we're close minded, knuckle dragging, gun toting, bible thumping, neanderthals.

The media is generally liberal to you, generally conservative to me. But if you're complaining about hearing the liberal side then you apparently don't watch fox.

Jesus Christ, it was a joke. That's why I put the wink face. Lighten up. I know how sensitive you people are that's why I said it like that.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']
The media is generally liberal to you, generally conservative to me. But if you're complaining about hearing the liberal side then you apparently don't watch fox.[/QUOTE]

Nice, you found the one television media outlet that leans conservative and can use it as proof that the media is biased that way. Obviously you don't watch 90% of all the other television media and realize it leans left, or at the very least, slants agaisnt republicans and undermines the president and the administration at every opportunity, even fabricated ones like keeping a running tally of generals agaist rumsfeld, a constant badgering of Rove as inept or obtuse, or republicans as the womb of a culture of corruption.

[quote name='Ace-Of-War']
Well, let's see: Midwest, red state, Republican President... hmm... Is it really that shocking of a call?
[/quote]

So you agree that people make these choices and don't randomly choose just any prestigious speakers. Thanks for agreeing with me.

Nice, you found the one television media outlet that leans conservative and can use it as proof that the media is biased that way. Obviously you don't watch 90% of all the other television media and realize it leans left, or at the very least, slants agaisnt republicans and undermines the president and the administration at every opportunity, even fabricated ones like keeping a running tally of generals agaist rumsfeld, a constant badgering of Rove as inept or obtuse, or republicans as the womb of a culture of corruption.

Yes, as the media was so kind to clinton, and gave no attention to "swift boat veterans". If people don't want the faults of republicans being dwelled on then they should stop putting republicans in power.

I don't find the other major news channels to be liberally biased. All I see is liberals complaining about a conservative bias and conservatives complaining about a liberal bias.

Though I never cited fox as proof. Ace said that he sees the liberal side simply because he watched the media. He made an generalization, so I mentioned fox.

[quote name='Ace-Of-War']You seem like a nice enough guy, and I think I understand where you are coming from. I lumped you in with the wrong crowd too quickly but the track record of this forum speaks for itself. I just think it's ridiculous, it's not as if you go to Berkley or something. When you go to a school like OSU, we're talking midwest, central Bush country here, you have to expect that the campus is going to generally lean to the right to begin with. It's like saying you go to a private Catholic university and you're shocked to find they would have a religious speaker. Either way, disagree with him or not I think you are looking at this one the wrong way my friend. This isn't a political stunt, President Bush isn't going to be running for any office again. I really think you should take it as an honor that you get to see the President speak.[/QUOTE]
I do feel honored and lucky. The President is speaking at my graduation, which like I said, is shocking, cool, and neat.

However, like I said, I don't agree with Bush and I don't know anyone who does or at least will admit it.

I get to say the President of the United States spoke at my graduation. Not many people can say that.

Bush is TX and an oilman if I'm not mistaken, I still don't see why he would agree to speak at OSU over say TX, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, or even OU. He is only speaking at, iirc, 4 schools: OSU, a (community?) college in Louisiana, West Point, and another military related school.

There was an article in the paper the other day. It was about all the student groups that are protesting and many are graduates. They are choosing not to attend because of Bush.

I don't agree with this at all. Just because someone is putting footsteps on OSU turf and making a short speech to a few thousand students (friends, family too), congratulating them on their accomplishment (I'm assuming he'll say something about that) and then leaving. No harm done. They are protesting and missing a once in a lifetime chance and opportunity to walk on stage and be given a speech by the president of the United States at your school.

Yes, I'm excited. Even if it's Bush, just because it is the President, but like I said there is a side of me that feels the total opposite because, well, it's Bush. And I don't agree with many things he has been doing and has done.

That's all.

I'll post pictures and report how it goes. It's May 6 sometime in the Morning I think. The secret service shows up Monday (May 1) to make sure everything is okay.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']I don't find the other major news channels to be liberally biased. All I see is liberals complaining about a conservative bias and conservatives complaining about a liberal bias.[/QUOTE]

Alonzo, you and other liberals need to get your heads out of the sand when it comes to media bias. It's pretty obvious to the neutral observer. Here's some nice statistics:

http://www.mrc.org/biasbasics/biasbasics3.asp
* More than half of the journalists surveyed (52%) said they voted for Democrat John Kerry in the 2004 presidential election, while fewer than one-fifth (19%) said they voted for Republican George W. Bush. The public chose Bush, 51 to 48 percent.

* When asked “generally speaking, do you consider yourself a Democrat, Republican, an Independent, or something else?” more than three times as many journalists (33%) said they were Democrats than said they were Republicans (10%).

[quote name='elprincipe']Alonzo, you and other liberals need to get your heads out of the sand when it comes to media bias. It's pretty obvious to the neutral observer. Here's some nice statistics:

http://www.mrc.org/biasbasics/biasbasics3.asp[/quote]

I thought the question was whether the media was liberally biased? No one was arguing demographics.

Though the voting statistics is a little misleading. It doesn't say which way the 29% who voted for neither bush nor kerry would have voted. I assume they didn't vote, since I doubt that many voted for 3rd parties.

And you also have 44% placed into the democrat or republican group. What's the other 57%?

[quote name='b3b0p']I do feel honored and lucky. The President is speaking at my graduation, which like I said, is shocking, cool, and neat.[/quote]

I extend my apologies then, I guess I misjudged your attitude toward this whole thing. Congratulations on your graduation.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']So you agree that people make these choices and don't randomly choose just any prestigious speakers. Thanks for agreeing with me.[/quote]

What are you talking about? You're going off on some rant about how the President shouldn't be allowed to speak just because he's President, censoring this ideology...

I mean, I like how you conceded every other point to me, but I think former President Clinton could've just as easily gotten a speaking spot if he had wanted it. Hell, he might even bring his friend former President Bush along with him.

Check this out: http://www.usdoj.gov/ag/speeches/2006/ag_speech_0601241.html

[quote name='Ace-Of-War']I extend my apologies then, I guess I misjudged your attitude toward this whole thing. Congratulations on your graduation.[/QUOTE]
No problem.

I read my first post again. The tone I came across as was not the tone I was feeling or tried to imply. There was some sarcasm in my post, but no crying, wailing, or thoughts of unluckiness, rage, or protest.

The commencement speech is at 10AM. I'll be there, with my Gameboy at 830AM and a camera if they allow it. Otherwise, I'll make sure my mom brings her super zoom lens for the camera.

It is being held at Boone Pickens Stadium. Go figure.

[quote name='Ace-Of-War']I extend my apologies then, I guess I misjudged your attitude toward this whole thing. Congratulations on your graduation.

What are you talking about? You're going off on some rant about how the President shouldn't be allowed to speak just because he's President, censoring this ideology...

I mean, I like how you conceded every other point to me, but I think former President Clinton could've just as easily gotten a speaking spot if he had wanted it. Hell, he might even bring his friend former President Bush along with him.

Check this out: http://www.usdoj.gov/ag/speeches/2006/ag_speech_0601241.html[/quote]

Censorship would involve censoring speech that otherwise would be made. The president doesn't normally speek at that university, they select speakers based on a variety of reasons. You wouldn't have bush giving the graduation speech at Harvard, it just isn't a good fit. And you wouldn't have kerry giving a graduation speech at brigham young. They have every right to petition for that, every right to complain etc. But it's not censorship because a university has certain characteristics they want for speakers at a graduation ceremony.

Also I'm not aware of any disputed issues that I conceded. There was only one issue in regards to speakers at graduation ceremonies.

Though I read the first 3 paragraphs of the link and don't see why you linked to it. I'm not very interested in it as is, so is there a reason I should read the rest?

[quote name='alonzomourning23']I thought the question was whether the media was liberally biased? No one was arguing demographics.

Though the voting statistics is a little misleading. It doesn't say which way the 29% who voted for neither bush nor kerry would have voted. I assume they didn't vote, since I doubt that many voted for 3rd parties.

And you also have 44% placed into the democrat or republican group. What's the other 57%?[/QUOTE]

If you read in the same survey the people surveyed overwhelmingly say that political views at least sometimes bias coverage. So demographics and bias are closely related in these people's own words.

And I think historically the numbers in these surveys (not mine; don't know where "you" came from) are pretty clear: the vast majority of journalists, especially Washington journalists, are very, very liberal.

[quote name='elprincipe']If you read in the same survey the people surveyed overwhelmingly say that political views at least sometimes bias coverage. So demographics and bias are closely related in these people's own words.[/quote]

No necessarily so.

When asked “How often do journalists’ opinions influence coverage?” a solid majority of the editors (57 percent) conceded it “sometimes” happens while another 14 percent said opinions “often” influence news coverage. In contrast, only one percent claim it “never” happens, and 26 percent say personal views “seldom” influence coverage.

All that says is that journalists see some journalists as sometimes allowing their personal view to influence media coverage. Hypothetically, the 71% who said sometimes or often could be focusing on the same 5% of journalists. It simply does not go into enough detail to make the assumption that you are making.

And I think historically the numbers in these surveys (not mine; don't know where "you" came from) are pretty clear: the vast majority of journalists, especially Washington journalists, are very, very liberal.

While about half of the journalists said they were “moderate,” 28 percent said they thought of themselves as liberals, compared to just 10 percent who said they were conservative

I didn't know moderate was synonymous with "very, very liberal".

[quote name='alonzomourning23']Censorship would involve censoring speech that otherwise would be made. The president doesn't normally speek at that university, they select speakers based on a variety of reasons. You wouldn't have bush giving the graduation speech at Harvard, it just isn't a good fit. And you wouldn't have kerry giving a graduation speech at brigham young. They have every right to petition for that, every right to complain etc. But it's not censorship because a university has certain characteristics they want for speakers at a graduation ceremony.

Also I'm not aware of any disputed issues that I conceded. There was only one issue in regards to speakers at graduation ceremonies.

Though I read the first 3 paragraphs of the link and don't see why you linked to it. I'm not very interested in it as is, so is there a reason I should read the rest?[/quote]

I'm not saying void the first amendment, I'm saying people complaining about having to hear the President are morons. If the worst problem in my life was having the honor of having the President speak at my graduation, I'd be in pretty good shape right now. Traditionally when you drop points though, it's considered a concession.

The link just shows how the Attorney General spoke at Georgetown not too long ago. They're not exactly Bush administration friendly in Georgetown.

bread's done
Back