Buy 2 Select Games, get $5/$10 off each plus $15/$20 Credit at Amazon

Egos

CAGiversary!
Amazon is running two separate promotions on select titles.

iconamazon.gif
Buy 2 select games, get $10 off each and get a $20 credit
Highlights include:
:wii: Donkey Kong Country Returns $39.99
:wii: Kirby's Epic Yarn $39.99

:wii: Disney Epic Mickey $39.99
:360: CoD : Black Ops $49.99

iconamazon.gif
Buy 2 select games, get $5 off each and get a $15 credit
Highlights include:
:ds: Super Scribblenauts $24.99
:ds: Sonic Colors $19.99
:psp: God of War: Ghost of Sparta $29.96

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='billydeewilliams']when you guys did the deal did they mention anything about the $15 credit in checkout or in the confirmation email?[/QUOTE]

Both. It is at the top of the checkout page and the bottom of your shipping confirmation email should read:
Congratulations. Your purchase has qualified you for a $15 promotional credit toward the purchase of items shipped and sold by Amazon.com (certain exclusions apply, including Kindle books, MP3s, and video rentals and downloads). The credit will be applied directly to your Amazon.com account within two days after your product ships once processing is complete.

I didn't get an email confirmation (of promotional credit) and jumped on it when it first came out. Gonna try contacting them, will tell you what I find out. Hopefully it is good news, billydee.

thanks. i contacted them aswell and the woman on the line sounded like she didnt know a damn thing. she told me i had a 10 dollar credit but that was that crappy credit that you can only use on an xbox live 12 month code... she tried to tell me that was the credit...

[quote name='Jaysonguy']"Special Offers and Product Promotions
  • Get free 2-day shipping when you use your MasterCard to purchase $75 or more in eligible items from our Holiday Toy List that are sold and shipped by Amazon. If you're an Amazon Prime member, you'll receive a $10 credit towards a future purchase. Here's how (restrictions apply)"
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jaysonguy. Looks like I didn't qualify. Oh wells.

[quote name='billydeewilliams']thanks. i contacted them aswell and the woman on the line sounded like she didnt know a damn thing. she told me i had a 10 dollar credit but that was that crappy credit that you can only use on an xbox live 12 month code... she tried to tell me that was the credit...[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't worry too much about it. After both of your games ship, you should receive an e-mail stating that they credited your account for $15. I purchased the PS3 with $50 credit and that's how it went. No issue what-so-ever.

[quote name='midorix']I wouldn't worry too much about it. After both of your games ship, you should receive an e-mail stating that they credited your account for $15. I purchased the PS3 with $50 credit and that's how it went. No issue what-so-ever.[/QUOTE]

This seems to be the case. I used the email/contact option and the person informed me that my order did qualify despite not receiving the "confirmation" and that I will soon receive the credit, etc.,etc.

If you are uncertain you may want to do the same thing I just told them the time I ordered and games and y'know that I didn't get a "confirmation". I told them the time because I had Donkey Kong as one of the games I ordered and I did it around the time the promotion just started :I (so it may not be an issue for you) And was worried about time zone issues .

But it sounds like you should be good

the selection of games is getting more and more mediocre. i'm assuming amazon doesn't really need to put a sale up since people are probably buying for christmas anyways. there are only about 20 games or so on the list. i'm hoping they add/change out games like they did with the b2g1 free deal during the week.

In case anyone bought Sonic Colors with God of War, it's trade in value has moved up to $16, instead of the previous $15.75. It's only $.25, but I figure it's worth pointing out.

[quote name='confoosious']Yes, at some point, they will lose money. I'm sure they do it all the time to clear out old stock. Inventory comes at a cost.

Amazon is never ever ever going to tell you how many units they have on sale. If a sale is good enough, it will get sold out quickly. That's just the way it goes. I don't understand what the issue is here. You're mad at Amazon for even bothering to have sales just cause it's limited?

This happens all the time at brick and mortar stores as well. They advertise xx units at a certain price for a certain day. When they sell out, they just don't bring any more out from the back, even if there are units in stock. Do you get mad at Target for having the sale? The only luxury that Amazon has over them is that they don't have to tell them when the sale ends -- just while supplies last. Surely you understand that supplies aren't infinite[/QUOTE]
All you do is put words in my mouth. Why ask questions that I've already answered? You can play word games all you want, but you still won't know what you are talking about. They don't lose money for your sake, and they never EVER will. I was a store manager for a video game store. Believe it or not, we made money even when clearing stock. Amazon wouldn't be in business if they did it any other way. For someone who "Hates Stupid People," you do a pretty good job of sounding like one.

Amazon sold out of the items they had on sale. Is that really that hard to comprehend. Not every single piece of stock is on sale when a company decides to have a sale.

I guess your store went out of business?

[quote name='confoosious']Amazon sold out of the items they had on sale. Is that really that hard to comprehend. Not every single piece of stock is on sale when a company decides to have a sale.

I guess your store went out of business?[/QUOTE]
So, you think we went out of business because we didn't lose money on customers and amazon is in business because they do? Good job proving my point. That makes perfect sense.

[quote name='Zurcamos']All you do is put words in my mouth. Why ask questions that I've already answered? You can play word games all you want, but you still won't know what you are talking about. They don't lose money for your sake, and they never EVER will. I was a store manager for a video game store. Believe it or not, we made money even when clearing stock. Amazon wouldn't be in business if they did it any other way. For someone who "Hates Stupid People," you do a pretty good job of sounding like one.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what store you worked for, but I have to assume the economics, accounting, and frankly, politics, of a modern, global paradigm-shifting behemoth like Amazon are far, far more complicated. Amazon was around something like 15 years before it posted its first profit - and even that was ahead of what analysts expected. Most B&M stores don't have major VC backing and thus almost certainly fold after a couple of years of losses. Amazon's business model is much more complicated and much longer-term, so I don't for a minute doubt that they are ready to lose even large sums of money in the short-term if it fits into a long-term plan of generating even more profit. And, frankly, companies like Amazon take risks that don't always pay off - think of failed advertising campaigns, etc. So I do think that Amazon loses money - intentionally or not - in various transactions. It's just that at this point in time they've gotten to where their overall profits outweigh their overall losses.

[quote name='illennium']I don't know what store you worked for, but I have to assume the economics, accounting, and frankly, politics, of a modern, global paradigm-shifting behemoth like Amazon are far, far more complicated. Amazon was around something like 15 years before it posted its first profit - and even that was ahead of what analysts expected. Most B&M stores don't have major VC backing and thus almost certainly fold after a couple of years of losses. Amazon's business model is much more complicated and much longer-term, so I don't for a minute doubt that they are ready to lose even large sums of money in the short-term if it fits into a long-term plan of generating even more profit. And, frankly, companies like Amazon take risks that don't always pay off - think of failed advertising campaigns, etc. So I do think that Amazon loses money - intentionally or not - in various transactions. It's just that at this point in time they've gotten to where their overall profits outweigh their overall losses.[/QUOTE]
Amazon is not losing any money on our good pal confoosious, short or long term, and that is all I've been commenting on thus far. I agree that they could be losing money in some aspects of their business (such as advertising, shipping, etc), but like you say, other factors make up for it. I have a lot of trouble believing they are currently selling products for less than they pay for them (after everything is factored in). I don't have their numbers, so I won't argue this issue any more than you would. In the deal at hand, with the titles they pulled, it's virtually guaranteed that the games cost them less than they were selling them for. Now, they could be losing the money that people would have paid for them at full price - assuming they would have - but that's a whole other ball of wax.

Anyhow, thanks for the post. It was good reading. I'm off for bed.

[quote name='confoosious']Amazon sold out of the items they had on sale. Is that really that hard to comprehend. Not every single piece of stock is on sale when a company decides to have a sale.

I guess your store went out of business?[/QUOTE]

Are any of these comments even on topic??? Is it me, or are you generally pointing out stupid people, Confoosious? I just don't get why you feel an overwhelming need to defend the sales juggernaut that is Amazon... Maybe you feel they can't afford lawyers and want to head off any impending CAG-related legal action? :lol: You, sir, are a saint! :cry:

thanks guys just got the ship email and they credit me :) so are these two seperate promotions? would i be able to get both the $15 promotion and the $20 promotion credits?

[quote name='confoosious']
This happens all the time at brick and mortar stores as well. They advertise xx units at a certain price for a certain day. When they sell out, they just don't bring any more out from the back, even if there are units in stock.[/QUOTE]

I've worked at several different retail chains over the years and none of them have ever done this, not once. I have no idea what you guys are arguing about, but I thought this little tidbit was odd.

[quote name='allyourblood']I've worked at several different retail chains over the years and none of them have ever done this, not once. I have no idea what you guys are arguing about, but I thought this little tidbit was odd.[/QUOTE]

So you're claiming on Black Friday, if I go to Best Buy they will have to give me a $200 laptop or whatever other underpriced item they list in the ad that it clearly states is "minimum 5 per store" or whatever it is? Retailers do this all the time or simply don't offer rain checks and say "while supplies last". I can't believe this newbie alleged former retail employee is claiming Amazon should keep selling at a certain price until they have literally no more stock. That's not how they or most other on-line retailers run their sales and those of us who have been around for more than five minutes know it.

[quote name='Zurcamos']Amazon is not losing any money on our good pal confoosious, short or long term, and that is all I've been commenting on thus far. I agree that they could be losing money in some aspects of their business (such as advertising, shipping, etc), but like you say, other factors make up for it. I have a lot of trouble believing they are currently selling products for less than they pay for them (after everything is factored in). I don't have their numbers, so I won't argue this issue any more than you would. In the deal at hand, with the titles they pulled, it's virtually guaranteed that the games cost them less than they were selling them for. Now, they could be losing the money that people would have paid for them at full price - assuming they would have - but that's a whole other ball of wax.

Anyhow, thanks for the post. It was good reading. I'm off for bed.[/QUOTE]

Quick question: ballpark, how much do you think a video game costs? Also, you realize that retailers often do sell items at a loss, right?

[quote name='Magikarp830']Are any of these comments even on topic??? Is it me, or are you generally pointing out stupid people, Confoosious? I just don't get why you feel an overwhelming need to defend the sales juggernaut that is Amazon... Maybe you feel they can't afford lawyers and want to head off any impending CAG-related legal action? :lol: You, sir, are a saint! :cry:[/QUOTE]

Honestly I have no idea. I think maybe because stupidity bothers me. It's a "developmental need", as they say in the year end review meetings. I just don't understand how someone can get upset at Amazon cause they didn't get in on a deal. It just confuses and perplexes me. When I miss a deal, I blame myself for being slow or wishywashy. I don't blame Amazon/Newegg/Gohastings/walmart.

Also, there are a bunch of people on CAG who (it seems to me) are in the industry (and not the "next in line please" role), if you take the time to listen to them, you can learn a thing or two about how these things work. To me, that's helpful in getting deals.

For example, if you understand that things "on sale" are limited in time or units (although really, i just that was common sense), you would be quick to snatch up the Epic Mickey, DKCR, or Kirby combo and you would be :lol: instead of :cry: and :bomb:.

It's a good day! ME2 can be had for $11 and all is well.

[quote name='bojay1997']So you're claiming on Black Friday, if I go to Best Buy they will have to give me a $200 laptop or whatever other underpriced item they list in the ad that it clearly states is "minimum 5 per store" or whatever it is? Retailers do this all the time or simply don't offer rain checks and say "while supplies last". I can't believe this newbie alleged former retail employee is claiming Amazon should keep selling at a certain price until they have literally no more stock. That's not how they or most other on-line retailers run their sales and those of us who have been around for more than five minutes know it.[/QUOTE]
Find one place where anybody said that, "Amazon should keep selling at a certain price until they have literally no more stock." When will you brilliant kids figure out that putting words in people's mouths isn't having a debate with them? It's talking to yourself. allyourblood said he/she has never worked for a company that did this. Only an idiot would argue that they know someone else's experiences better than the person involved. Did you personally see items in Best Buy's backroom on sales day? If not, you are speculating, and speculation is NOT fact.

[quote name='confoosious']Quick question: ballpark, how much do you think a video game costs? Also, you realize that retailers often do sell items at a loss, right?[/QUOTE]

They would have cost me $40, and I know for a fact that amazon gets a much better discount than my store did.

[quote name='confoosious']Honestly I have no idea. I think maybe because stupidity bothers me. It's a "developmental need", as they say in the year end review meetings. I just don't understand how someone can get upset at Amazon cause they didn't get in on a deal. It just confuses and perplexes me. When I miss a deal, I blame myself for being slow or wishywashy. I don't blame Amazon/Newegg/Gohastings/walmart.

Also, there are a bunch of people on CAG who (it seems to me) are in the industry (and not the "next in line please" role), if you take the time to listen to them, you can learn a thing or two about how these things work. To me, that's helpful in getting deals.

For example, if you understand that things "on sale" are limited in time or units (although really, i just that was common sense), you would be quick to snatch up the Epic Mickey, DKCR, or Kirby combo and you would be :lol: instead of :cry: and :bomb:.[/QUOTE]
If this is referring to me, as I suspect it is, I stated I wasn't mad. I wouldn't buy Epic Mickey, because no review I looked at or person I know said it was a good game, and I already have Kirby. I said it'd be nice if it was a lightning deal. Instead of having a relevant comment on what I've actually said, you offer ridiculous, unrelated arguments, all the while calling other people stupid. You get shot down, yet you continue.

[quote name='Zurcamos']Find one place where anybody said that, "Amazon should keep selling at a certain price until they have literally no more stock." When will you brilliant kids figure out that putting words in people's mouths isn't having a debate with them? It's talking to yourself. allyourblood said he/she has never worked for a company that did this. Only an idiot would argue that they know someone else's experiences better than the person involved. Did you personally see items in Best Buy's backroom on sales day? If not, you are speculating, and speculation is NOT fact.[/QUOTE]

I know for a fact that retailers limit quantities on sale all the time. Best Buy, Walmart and many others only set aside a designated number of units for advertised sales. Once those are gone, the items are still available for sale, only they are at full price. For example, at Walmart this year, they had a Blu Ray player at a very low price. They sold the 20 units they set aside for my sale at my local store and wouldn't sell any more. Later that day I went back and the same exact unit was on sale, however, it was at full price again. Are you telling me the postal service magically delivered another pile of them in the four hours between opening and when I went back? Of course not, they intentionally limited the quantity.

[quote name='Zurcamos']They would have cost me $40, and I know for a fact that amazon gets a much better discount than my store did.

If this is referring to me, as I suspect it is, I stated I wasn't mad. I wouldn't buy Epic Mickey, because no review I looked at or person I know said it was a good game, and I already have Kirby. I said it'd be nice if it was a lightning deal. Instead of having a relevant comment on what I've actually said, you offer ridiculous, unrelated arguments, all the while calling other people stupid. You get shot down, yet you continue.[/QUOTE]

What store did you work at? I have negotiated several distribution and publishing agreements on behalf of developers and publishers with Tommo, Jack of All Games and several other distributors and the best margins in the business are around 30% and those are only received by Walmart, Best Buy, Amazon, Target and Gamestop. Small retailers and independent game shops are lucky to get 15% and sometimes it's as low as 10% depending on the retailer and the quantitiy they purchase. Of course, at certain times of year and for certain titles, retailers can get a nice little distributor credit bump paid for by the publisher which increases their margin somewhat, but there is absolutely no way a small retailer is regularly getting $60 MSRP games at $40 wholesale. I know that for a fact.

Just curious, does TRU also get the best margin rate like BestBuy?

And why do we have several pages of bickering over store costs for games in this thread? Lucky there are no good deals left to be had with this promotion, or mods might care.

[quote name='scottman']Just curious, does TRU also get the best margin rate like BestBuy?

And why do we have several pages of bickering over store costs for games in this thread? Lucky there are no good deals left to be had with this promotion, or mods might care.[/QUOTE]

They do get a good margin, although, they frankly don't do the volume of the other stores given that they are down to less than 600 locations (although they add another 600 or so express stores for the holidays). Like other retailers, they can get marketing money from publishers and credits from distributors which is how they do their B2G1 sales every year and how Kmart is doing the coupons.

In any event, you're correct about this going way off topic. Unfortunately, this fool newbie is posting stuff that is completely inaccurate and complaining about Amazon's practices which are not new in any way. Even if he is correct in his claim that other retailers don't limit quantities, Amazon does and always has for sales of this type, so his arguments make no sense.

[quote name='bojay1997']What store did you work at? I have negotiated several distribution and publishing agreements on behalf of developers and publishers with Tommo, Jack of All Games and several other distributors and the best margins in the business are around 30% and those are only received by Walmart, Best Buy, Amazon, Target and Gamestop. Small retailers and independent game shops are lucky to get 15% and sometimes it's as low as 10% depending on the retailer and the quantitiy they purchase. Of course, at certain times of year and for certain titles, retailers can get a nice little distributor credit bump paid for by the publisher which increases their margin somewhat, but there is absolutely no way a small retailer is regularly getting $60 MSRP games at $40 wholesale. I know that for a fact.[/QUOTE]
Good thing Wii games are $50 SRP, huh? As usual, you know what you're talking about.
[quote name='bojay1997']In any event, you're correct about this going way off topic. Unfortunately, this fool newbie is posting stuff that is completely inaccurate and complaining about Amazon's practices which are not new in any way. Even if he is correct in his claim that other retailers don't limit quantities, Amazon does and always has for sales of this type, so his arguments make no sense.[/QUOTE]
Again, you can't read. I said something would be nice. I said I am not mad at amazon, and I said I make no demands. You and your buddy continue to tell me what I'm saying and argue with yourselves. You have all this "knowledge" and "common sense" when other users tell you that you are wrong, but keep calling everyone else stupid. Keep it going, and we'll believe you. Really.

[quote name='Serious McMopy']For the record, I received the credit this morning, without having to call Amazon, or anything. The games arrived today as well.[/QUOTE]

oh, you wanna discuss stuff on topic? :)

I got my promo too. Did anyone get their mastercard promo yet?

[quote name='confoosious']oh, you wanna discuss stuff on topic? :)

I got my promo too. Did anyone get their mastercard promo yet?[/QUOTE]

I never got my mastercard promo from buying NBA2k11, etc on BF weekend.

I just got my $20 credit. I was pleasantly surprised to see it doesn't expire until 12/31/2011, so no need to rush in using it like I've had to do with some of the credits in the past.

[quote name='slowdive21']I never got my mastercard promo from buying NBA2k11, etc on BF weekend.[/QUOTE]

Dammit, I'm totally gonna forget about it.

[quote name='jkanownik']I just got my $20 credit. I was pleasantly surprised to see it doesn't expire until 12/31/2011, so no need to rush in using it like I've had to do with some of the credits in the past.[/QUOTE]

My credit won't last the week. I think it's any amazon purchase, not just video games.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']For those interested, Sonic Colors is available again.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I keep checking for Donkey Kong to come back. I need to get it for my Mom for Christmas and I want Epic Mickey for myself!

:pray:

[quote name='bojay1997']So you're claiming on Black Friday, if I go to Best Buy they will have to give me a $200 laptop or whatever other underpriced item they list in the ad that it clearly states is "minimum 5 per store" or whatever it is? Retailers do this all the time or simply don't offer rain checks and say "while supplies last".[/QUOTE]

I'm saying that on Black Friday, when Best Buy sells their cheapy, not-too-great-spec'd laptop for $250, they're selling every one of that sku that they have in stock and at that price. Yes, every last one. They're not selling five of them and then keeping 20 in the back until next week. "While supplies last" in this case refers to their entire stock on-hand and when it is depleted during the sales promotion period, then it can no longer be purchased at that price, or in some cases, ever again at all.

In fact, Best Buy in particular often receives one-time skus that are intended to be sold for a short amount of time and then are never received again, and this is precisely what they do every single Black Friday with so-called "loss leader" items like cheap laptops and some TVs.

Again, I have no idea how this relates to what those two were arguing about, but that's how it goes. I'm only referring to particular B&M chains; I've never worked for an online outfit, so I can't say for sure what they do in these situations, nor has that been my intention.

bread's done
Back