Buy 3DS or used DSL or DSi?

vgossain

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So my original DSPhat died (well, my wife dropped it and it cracked into multiple pieces). It still works, but it requires holding the two pieces together with my hand and it's not comfortable.

Now the question is, do I buy a used DSL or DSi for less than $100 and wait for the 3DS to drop in price and have improved battery life or do I just get the 3DS now?

Any place to get a cheap in good condition DSL or DSi? Amazon Warehouse has a like new DSL for $90.

I would either get a DS lite or DSi XL and wait for the 3DS to drop in price, or just skip them and wait for the 3DS price drop. Really not worth purchasing a 3DS at this point, wait until some better games are out, such as RE:Revelations, Kid Icarus, etc. I'm personally waiting until a 3DS revision, I hate the limited viewing angle for the 3D effect.

If you have the money, buy a 3DS from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $200. Comes with everything.

$211.99 Like New, Amazon (Aqua Blue)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002I090AG/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

$211.99 Like New, Amazon (Cosmo Black)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002I096AA/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

If you buy the 3DS now, you can play all your DS games and not worry about upgrading. People are knocking the 3DS down (I can't blame them), but it's worth it. Just be patient for games, they'll come.

NOTE: If you upgrade to Dsi or 3DS, forget about your GBA collection! =(

Hard question. The XL is fantastic...by far the best for DS games. The Lite runs Gameboy Advance games, which is a huge deal for me. And the 3DS of course runs 3DS games, but the screen's tiny by comparison.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Hard question. The XL is fantastic...by far the best for DS games. The Lite runs Gameboy Advance games, which is a huge deal for me. And the 3DS of course runs 3DS games, but the screen's tiny by comparison.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, which is why I suggested either the lite or the XL. With the lite, you can play GBA games, and the XL offers the best experience for DS games. The 3DS screen area for DS games (if you turn on 1:1 mode) is way too small. If you use the full screen area, it turns on the blur filter, which IMO looks crappy. If he doesn't mind that I'd try getting one off of amazon since they offer great prices for a used 3DS pretty often, but be aware it's better to buy new if you want the least hassle with defects.

Huh, I didn't know it filtered it (besides scaling that is). Seemed okay the one game I tried (Might and Magic Clash of Heroes) but it was so tiny I immediately put the game back in my XL. Of course it's using 2D art which might work better through their filter or something.

Plus the 3DS controler is...I don't know...haven't used it much yet but there was something about it I didn't like versus the XL. If nothing else the start and select buttons are weirdly done.

I'd love an XL version without "3D" :whistle2:D But I suppose they won't do that...but one with bigger screens and a better controller would be nice.

A shitload of great games is coming up for the 3DS so it may be about time to get one of those. There are still some good titles out right now and the ever expanding e-Shop should provide some more neat games in the future (particularly 3D Classics and Virtual Console).

I would either go for the Lite or the 3DS, don't worry about the DSi because it costs $50 more than the lite ($99) unless you can get a dsi for $99 somehow.

If you are cheap go for the $99 DS Lite and enjoy all the cheaper games that are on the DS (and there are plenty of them)

If you want to spend more go for the 3DS, provided you don't want the DSiXL. I personally don't like the DSiXL because I think its too heavy for my hands but that amounts to personal preference. Which is why I didn't buy one, that and I can see the screens of the DSi just fine.

If you want to play GBA games your best option is the backlit game boy advance SP.

I would either go for the Lite or the 3DS, don't worry about the DSi because it costs $50 more than the lite ($99) unless you can get a dsi for $99 somehow.

If you are cheap go for the $99 DS Lite and enjoy all the cheaper games that are on the DS (and there are plenty of them)

If you want to spend more go for the 3DS, provided you don't want the DSiXL. I personally don't like the DSiXL because I think its too heavy for my hands but that amounts to personal preference. Which is why I didn't buy one, that and I can see the screens of the DSi just fine.

If you want to play GBA games your best option is the backlit game boy advance SP.

I just got a used DSi XL for under $100 from GoHastings with my 40% off code. I already had a DSL and 3DS, so I really didn't need a DSi, but I really wanted the larger screen of the DSi XL and I don't expect Nintendo to be coming out with a 3DS XL anytime soon.

My first impression of the DSi XL was how big the screen was, but then I noticed how pixelated the screen looks since it is really just a DSL with bigger pixels (at least that's what it looks like). It made me realize just how much nicer the 3DS screens are (MUCH nicer)

But having one of each , I'd recommend the following:
1) If you have any GBA games (or want to buy some), you need to get the DSL. But if you don't already have a bunch of GBA games, there are so many good DS games to play I'm not sure why you'd want to spend time playing GBA games.

2) If you have one of the GoHastings 40% off codes, you might still be able to pick up a used DSi XL for under $100. If so, that's the way to go unless "in our pocket" portability is critical since the bigger size makes it less pocket friendly.

3) If you can't get a good deal on the DSi XL (or don't want one), then get a DSL since I can't see how the benefits of the DSi over the DSL justify the higher price...and with the DSL you retain the option of using the GBA slot for GBA games or some DS games that use the GBA slot (such as the Guitar Hero controller, the rumble pack and the paddle controller). I'd only get the DSi if you can get a GREAT deal on it.

Eventually you'll want a 3DS, so the less you spend on a DSL/DSi XL the more you'll have leftover to buy a 3DS when the prices become more reasonable.

I also wouldn't be afraid to buy a used unit if you can check it out first or the place you buy it from has a good return policy. Fortunately the DSi XL I got from GoHastings was in excellent condition (of course, they screwed up the other part of my order by shipping a Fat PS2 instead of the Slim PS2 I ordered :roll:).

bread's done
Back