Buy a new PSP Go now or wait?

deviousnaraku

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
First of all, I've never owned a PSP before. Been eying the Black PSP Go since it first came out (since it fits my needs best) but definitely don't want to pay $250 for it. My ideal price range is $150-200 max.

Missed Dell's deal a few months back when they were $169. Now Walmart has the permanently priced at $200. I've been keeping track of the PSP Go at the Walmart near my home and another one near my job (different city). Two weeks ago the one near my home had 3 left and the one near my job had 10. Last Friday I visited them again and both were sold out. I asked them if they were getting anymore and one said unsure and the other said they don't have any plans to get anymore.

Luckily Walmart.com still has them, but they show that most stores are sold out. So should I just buy one now, or wait until the holiday season (Black Friday) and hope they go on sale? Or should I not even bother and wait for the PSP2 (Lots of rumors online, even GS employees saying it'll be out sometime in 2011)? Thanks

Do you want a download only system? Just asking, because of course, the 3000 plays downloaded games & UMD's... for cheaper... But, besides all that, GS employees don't know jack squat. A 2nd PSP won't arrive until 2012 at the earliest.

Wait till Black Friday for the best possible deal on a PSP GO.

If you can wait, I'd hold out for the TGS in a week. It's possible Sony might announce a PSP2 there since the console is doing a lot better overseas. However, I agree with sdragon. With the new advertising campaign by Sony shown at E3, its unlikely they are going to come out with a successor so soon. The PSP2 is probably still another year out.

Seriously just wait the PSP go sucks it wont last just go towards a new 3001 series like the god of war one plus if you know gamestop not accepting them there most be something wrong with it

dont waste your money on a go. Sony is not even supporting it with ads and such. its a waste of money. get a psp 1000 or 2000 not the 3000 its screen sucks.

The tradeoff with the GO is the compact size and ability to game pause (create a save state of a game) in exchange for a smaller library of games (no Lumines/ Kingdom Hearts). The ability to create a save state is amazing for me and as result the GO is worth it in my eyes.

I would wait for any TGS announcements though. A new PSP version being announced would drop the price significantly. If you need it ASAP checkout Gamestop, last I heard they sold used GOs for around $130. Most of them look new because of people buying it without realizing it didn't use UMDs.
[quote name='ray2dee']Seriously just wait the PSP go sucks it wont last just go towards a new 3001 series like the god of war one plus if you know gamestop not accepting them there most be something wrong with it[/QUOTE]
I imagine it's because Gamestop is anti-digital downloads. There's kind of no resale opportunity in digital games which is Gamestop's biggest money maker. :lol:

Get a PSP-Go if you want to only buy from a limited selection of downloadable titles that are generally more expensive than UMD prices but will likely transfer over to the psp2.

Get a PSP-3000 if you want to buy cheap umd's and are fine with the fact that those umd's will not be compatible with the future psp2. You'll have access to the PSN store too in case you do want digital copies instead.

I'd go with the PSP-3000. fyi, the warehouse deals site(subsidiary of amazon) routinely has psp-go's in stock. the lowest I've seen them I think was $130ish. The last time they were in stock they were $156, and stayed in stock for a while. they're open box, but they likely will still qualify for the free game offers. They also have PSP-3000's in stock for $96-130 range.

[quote name='doodofdoods']

Get a PSP-3000 if you want to buy cheap umd's and are fine with the fact that those umd's will not be compatible with the future psp2. You'll have access to the PSN store too in case you do want digital copies instead.
[/QUOTE]

That is not completely accurate. Not a fact yet, by no means... The 2nd coming of the PSP may or may not be compatible with UMD technology.

The correct answer is 'never' if you ask me. Grab one of the regular PSPs. The Go was dead on arrival, and, hell, it's not even getting all the games. SquareEnix just announced whatever their next game is won't even be coming out for it.

I don't specifically know what the reasons FOR getting the Go are, but 1) you're stuck paying a standard rate for all the content you download. Whatever Sony sets, you need to spend, as opposed to finding it elsewhere for less, 2) If the game sucks or you get bored with it or finish it with no desire to replay it, you can't sell it or trade it away, 3) The PSP Go servers are not going to be up forever. In a few years, or even less, you're not going to be able to buy any new content for it or replace old content you no longer have (I'm not positive how this works though, so I don't know what the rules for re-downloading what you purchased are), and 4) you have no physical data. If your memory breaks down, you're screwed. If you destroy a UMD... you still have all your other UMDs.

Just saying. My suggestion is to pick up the regular PSP if you must.

[quote name='spooie_redux']The correct answer is 'never' if you ask me. Grab one of the regular PSPs. The Go was dead on arrival, and, hell, it's not even getting all the games. SquareEnix just announced whatever their next game is won't even be coming out for it.

I don't specifically know what the reasons FOR getting the Go are, but 1) you're stuck paying a standard rate for all the content you download. Whatever Sony sets, you need to spend, as opposed to finding it elsewhere for less, 2) If the game sucks or you get bored with it or finish it with no desire to replay it, you can't sell it or trade it away, 3) The PSP Go servers are not going to be up forever. In a few years, or even less, you're not going to be able to buy any new content for it or replace old content you no longer have (I'm not positive how this works though, so I don't know what the rules for re-downloading what you purchased are), and 4) you have no physical data. If your memory breaks down, you're screwed. If you destroy a UMD... you still have all your other UMDs.

Just saying. My suggestion is to pick up the regular PSP if you must.[/QUOTE]

This ^^^

Girlfriend and I had been wanting a psp for a while and finally grabbed a refurbed one from cowboom a few weeks back. She played FF7 on it for 2 days and I played about 3 hours of hot shots golf over 3 days..

then we went back to playing BIS, layton, and picross 3d on our ds's and it's been collecting dust ever since.

im not saying there's anything particularly wrong with the psp.. just make sure there really is stuff you want to play on it first.

If you have interest in the Go then I say buy it. I have one and I personally love it. At first I was iffy on it since I didn't want to pay so much for downloadable games, but once I got over that I began to really enjoy it.

It's smaller than the regular PSP, and at least for me, much much much more comfortable to use.

I can understand some of the hate for it, but if you want one, you personally have reasons for wanting one which is why I say go for it.

I would say only buy a PSP Go if money is no object and you don't mind not being able to play most games. Instead of being able to buy cheap used games on UMD, you'll always have to buy them full price from Sony, and a lot of the games aren't even available for download.

Since it sounds like you're trying to save money, you're much better off buying one of the disc-based previous PSP models. There are a lot of great used games out there, and you'll never have to worry about not being able to play the newest games just because they don't make it to the PSN store.

Thanks everyone for you input. I'll think I'll end up waiting til Black Friday.

While I agree with some of your arguments about getting a regular PSP 3000 instead, it just not as portable and pocket friendly as I would like. For me, the PSP Go fits my needs a lot better.

I thought about buying a refurbished Go from Cowboom since it's only ~$155, but I found out that I wouldn't qualify for the 3 free games promo.

Thanks again everyone.

I like the title of this thread... "Go now or wait"

Anyways, I would also hold off on buying it... I've been waiting to see brand new ones for about $150 due to my position.

Get one. I love mine.

img1950.jpg

So sexy.

Edit: I actually have the cover art for Scott Pilgrim Vol. 6 as my wallpaper now. I think a new photograph is in order.

I like my Go. Although I'm really bummed I can't play Kingdom Hearts on it. That said, Sony did say that every PSP from here on out would support physical media (they didn't say UMD however, so who knows what it really means.)

But... if you want a great deal on a Go, check Amazon Warehouse Deals. (there's a thread in the bargains forum.) I think they've been seen for under $150 and are basically new (the box may be beat up.)

And when you register, you get three free games!

When a system doesn't allow you to play all of it's own games on it, I say pass. However, if you don't mind not playing Kingdom Hearts and some of the older PSP games that aren't available digitally, then go for it.

bread's done
Back