Buy and Reselling Games Help

Cosmic M

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hey everyone, I have been thinking and i thought in order to gain extra money for videogame endeavors, i would do what lots of you guys seem to do and buy games for cheap and resell them. However, after thinking, I hit a few roadblocks. So i fgured I would ask this here seeing as how you guys are smart and i figured this would be the appropriate board to do this in. Anyways i have a couple of questions.

What are some good sites to get games for the cheap?

What are some good trade-in sites besides ebay for actual money (i dont want to do the whole trade 1 game for another game thing) /credit for the site to buy new games?

When there is a reduced price game guide down to like 1 cent or a dollar, does it ring up on the cash register that way, i dont want to look the fool and start fights insisting it should only cost me 50 cents and have the store clerk mad.

Anyways, thanks for looking over these questions and helping me. Thanks in advance.

Scour the hot deals forum. You can find cheap stuff there. Combine that with your local resources, such as mom and pop stores and garage sales and flea markets.

Then go to the wiki and look up trade in prices. If its not there or outdates, call your local stores and ask. A general rule of thumb, you arent going to get anything from gamestop/EB unless they have a promo going on.

Pennied out guides ring up that way. Again, look at the thread or the wiki. You might look the fool if the employee doesnt want to sell them and you argue, but if it isnt ringing up right then you have the wrong guide at the wrong store

Dave

Good luck. Resellable deals are more luck than anything nowadays. GameStop/EB price their games so damn close or above Ebay values that it's not worth it. GameCrazy is a bit better and more lenient on pricing rare games, however. I'll occasionally buy an extra of something or buy something that has a high value to offset the cost of something i'm actually buying.

Spend a few months here and eventually you'll learn what's valuable. Get out to all the places MightSlacker mentioned (and pawn shops as well.) When you see something you think could be resellable, go home and look up its price on ebay.
Keep your eye out for when something is hot on ebay. If you're lucky, you'll catch it early enough while the item is still relatively easy to find and make a lot of game money. Also, look out for your local stores clearances. A lot of times the big box stores will do local clearances or sales.

I wouldn't recommend reselling guides. It doesn't seem worth the hassle unless you have the time to do a ton of listings over a long period of time.

Other than that, I'll just say that it takes a lot of time and patience to get to know everything, but with a couple of lucky finds, you could have all the game money you need for the year. Clear out some free time and go driving around your town to find some good stores and make a route of pawn shops, video stores, record stores that carry used games etc. Also know that you have a lot of competition, as it seems game reselling really caught on after 360s were netting $1000 on ebay (and more so now that PS3s went for $3000)

Yea... I second the notion that it's nearly as fun or profitable as it used to be. I remember awhile ago it was pretty damn easy to grab a few games here or there to sell, but ever since Ebay got super popular (since the news pimped it out so much, like it's so easy to sell things for huge profits) and CAG really took off, I found that my competition is at least 5x what it used to be because EVERYONE is now an Ebay seller.

EB / GS didn't also used to charge out the ass for valuable games either, like when MvC 2 was only $50, or $45 after Edge. I did pretty good grabbing that one as part of MANY b2g1 free's and making my other two games free after I sold MvC 2 for $90 - $100.

It used to be so simple to grab a few extra games at a clearance to break even, or make a few bucks, but now it seems that's what EVERYONE does and the market value on so many games crashes the minute a sale starts.

I'm hoping you don't turn out to be one of those guys who just everything on clearance and resell it for profit, screwing over other CAGers. This world has enough hoarders.

You're going to have a hard time finding something to be a good turn around and it takes a lot of work. Be ready to keep a sharp eye out for deals and how to combine them with other deals.

If shopping at EB/GS you may want to check out their DVD's. While they price games relatively close to eBay, their DVD prices can be much better. By combining their B2G1 deal with their 3 for $10, $20, or $30 deals, you can get some amazing bargains on DVD's.

[quote name='thack']If shopping at EB/GS you may want to check out their DVD's. While they price games relatively close to eBay, their DVD prices can be much better. By combining their B2G1 deal with their 3 for $10, $20, or $30 deals, you can get some amazing bargains on DVD's.[/QUOTE]

How many people even buy DVD's still? I'm just curious. If you had Blu-ray or HD-DVD would you still buy Standard DVD's?

[quote name='Pootie Thang']How many people even buy DVD's still? I'm just curious. If you had Blu-ray or HD-DVD would you still buy Standard DVD's?[/quote]

Tons. Are you joking? You think HD-DVD and Blu-Ray is the norm?

HD/BD is not by any means the norm yet, and while either HD or BD disks are incredibly superior to DVD quality in most cases, there's a lot of content that either isn't on HD/BD yet, or is much much cheaper than HD/BD. Plus, for every person who is upgrading to HD or BD, there are 50 people who have no interest in it, who might be interested in buying SDVDs from them (I've sold SDVDs on Amazon for more than the HDDVD cost me).
I buy HDDVDs when it's a title I want, I buy SDVDs when its something I want for a great price (which is often now, since SDVD sales are stagnating, they're really trying to move inventory).
This is changing with the PS3 getting into homes and lots of people buying BD, but it remains to be seen if they will continue to buy the software or if it is just novelty purchases.
Anyway, yeah, every "gamer" and his brother now wants to buy a game and sell it for 85 bucks on Ebay (while charging 9.00 for shipping). To me the "profit" hasn't been worth the time of hunting down deals and fooling with auctions. I don't buy on speculation unless it's something I'm interested in anyway, in case i get stuck with it.

Don't do it. It is not worth the time and effort....

I feel like such a fool... Last year I bought THE only copy of The Zone fo the Enders- the 2nd Runner for ps2 and sold it on ebay. I bough it for approximately $28 and sold it for $29, factory sealed.
I got a ps2 for christmas after many year beeing av sony hater :lol:
I still strongly dislike my PSP...

It seems like I have sold one of the rarest and best looking ps2 title. I'll never get my hands on it again.
Lesson learned:cool:

bread's done
Back