Buy BB Extended warranty?

BREVITY

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Wife got me a PS3 (the only system I lacked) as a welcome home gift yesterday. I have 30days to pick up the extended warranty if I want. I normally do this without thinking but since I didnt buy it I am stopping to ask your thoughts. Buy or not and why?
Thanks
I have the warranty on all my other systems; just seemed right at the time.

For a $600 cutting edge piece of new technology with hundreds, if not thousands of individual components that could fail (though most likely wont for many years unless defective), I would have to recommend getting the warranty. I got a Sams Club warranty for my 360 and I'm glad I did, my 1 year Microsoft warranty is almost up, and my DVD drive doesn't always want to open it using the controller (maybe once every 20 times when using the controller, requiring me to wait a few seconds and push the button to open it) and I'm happy that I'm protected if the drive fails. I don't want to have to pay $400+ for a new system because my $20 DVD drive broke.

Get the PRP. Not a PSP. But then again, bestbuy does not have a PSP plan for video game systems. HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. If you get it replaced within the first year of the purchase date then the PRP plan will carry over, if it's anytime after that one year, then you are only allowed to swap it out once. Then you have to buy the PRP again.

-JoE

Hard to say...off-hand I'd say no because all warranties are just extra profit for the retailer. At minimum, they are interest-free loans for the business and less money that you could put towards making more money (i.e. a high-yield CD or stocks, bonds, etc).

Some people swear by them, though, and have had bad luck with multiple equipment failures.

I have picked up warranties for certain items like LCD-based PC products in the past, but only when there was a fantastic deal (i.e. extra years free, discounts on the warranty MSRP) and the warranty itself is very flexible with "no questions asked" policies.

My feeling overall is that if it's a well-made product, then you really shouldn't need an extended warranty at all...

How long does the prp add to the warranty? Is it easier or worth it to you to return item to store or send it off and wait for a replacement?
How much is the prp?

I vote yes. A little known fact about Best Buy PRP is that you can get a refund of the pro-rated balance on the plan at any time, for any reason. If it's after 30 days, the refund is in the form of a Best Buy gift card but if you frequent this site chances are that you'll find something you want there. I bought a PRP on my LCD HDTV back in mid-2005 and got a refund for 80% of the balance in January of this year - I figured if nothing went wrong in the first 18 months, then I'm fine. Get a PRP and if nothing goes wrong with your PS3 during the first 9-12 months, go in and get a refund. You're buying a little piece of mind for $20-30.

The PS3 has a year warranty as it is and it seems pretty sturdy. but you can always get the warranty and cash it in if a better deal comes along on the system (or just replace your system after 2 years.)

[quote name='coolz481']I vote yes. A little known fact about Best Buy PRP is that you can get a refund of the pro-rated balance on the plan at any time, for any reason. If it's after 30 days, the refund is in the form of a Best Buy gift card but if you frequent this site chances are that you'll find something you want there. I bought a PRP on my LCD HDTV back in mid-2005 and got a refund for 80% of the balance in January of this year - I figured if nothing went wrong in the first 18 months, then I'm fine. Get a PRP and if nothing goes wrong with your PS3 during the first 9-12 months, go in and get a refund. You're buying a little piece of mind for $20-30.[/QUOTE]
Great news, I did not know this.
Well I went in and got the warranty and picked up a headset for the system.
Tomorrow I get my HDMI cable and optical cable.

When you want that refund of the PRP Warranty do you just take the receipt in and say you want it or do you have to have some reasoning? Could you just call it in to the 1-800 #?

[quote name='BREVITY']Great news, I did not know this.

When you want that refund of the PRP Warranty do you just take the receipt in and say you want it or do you have to have some reasoning? Could you just call it in to the 1-800 #?[/QUOTE]

I just went into the customer service area of the store with my receipt. No deception involved; the clerk asked me why I wanted a refund and I told her the tv was working fine and if there were any problems, they likely would have happened already. I got nearly $200 on a gift card and was on my way in about 3 minutes.

Many credit cards give extended manufacturer's warranties for free just by using your card to purchase it. Extended warranties are a waste of money but they do a good job making us feel secure in our purchases, so it sounds like it'd be worth it for you.

[quote name='BREVITY']Great news, I did not know this.

When you want that refund of the PRP Warranty do you just take the receipt in and say you want it or do you have to have some reasoning? Could you just call it in to the 1-800 #?[/quote]

Not to be insulting, but you really like to throw your money away, don't you? You buy a PS3 from a B&M store (where you pay at least another $40 in taxes) and you're buying your HDMI and optical cables from the store, too? I thought this was "cheap ass gamer" not "rip my ass off gamer". ;)

bread's done
Back