Buy.com just sent me two free games by mistake. What should I do?

i-ninja-u-dead

CAG Veteran
Feedback
1 (100%)
I am in kind of dilemma mode right now. Some of you may agree with me, while others may call me insane and the luckiest man alive. You see, I recently ordered a copy of SSX Blur off of Buy.com, and was charged the typical $52 from my PayPal account. All was going well, the shipment seemed to be on schedule, and on Wednesday, the game arrived. I've played it rigourously and enjoyed it immensely. I just was getting home from the movies (300 is incredible, BTW), and lo and behold, there were two more UPS boxes just sitting there on my doorstep. I opened each up, and both had another brand new copy of SSX Blur inside.

Now I have three copies of the same game (two of which are unopened), and my PayPal account was only charged for the one game. My Buy.com account shows only one order in my purchase history. I have no idea what to do, but I feel kind of guilty. Should I contact Buy.com? Should I just go return them to Wal-Mart for store credit? Is there any possibility of my account being charged further down the line? I'm just looking for some advice.

Thanks.

Keep it and sell/trade them to CAGs for a discount of course..Buy.com screwed up, believe me when Buy.com screws up your order its a bitch getting to get fixed..if you contact them about this, you might end up getting scrwed (getting charge etc etc.)..I dont think Walmart accepts returns w/o reciepts anymore..

Wal Mart doesn't accept returns w/o reciept I don't believe

I understand your dilemma, I'd like to say I'd notify them, but if it's true what Flip said about charging you and it being a pain, trading them discounted to other CAG's is OK in my book.

According to Walmart.com, they still accept returns on unopened games without receipts. But is there any way that in a few weeks, Buy.com will realize their mistake, and I'd be liable?

buy.com is one of the worst consumer experiences I ever had (four times over!). I'd recommend keeping them and trading them here, but that's only b/c I'm happy to see that retailer screw up.

Return each to two different Walmarts for two wii games you don't have but want. Or wait a couple weeks and pick up Prince of Persia/Tiger Woods/Cooking Mama/TMNT/Medal of Honor.

I'd say screw buy.com. Horrible customer service, terrible to buy from overall. If they screwed up, let them screw themselves. You ordered one, not 3. Deny getting they other 2 if they ask and treat yourself. Don't worry, Buy.com will find a way to screw you later. ;)

I'm probably gonna be the only one to say this, but it's just the way I was raised.

Contact Buy and tell them the truth. People and companies make mistakes.

[quote name='naes']I'm probably gonna be the only one to say this, but it's just the way I was raised.

Contact Buy and tell them the truth. People and companies make mistakes.[/quote]

I agree. Buy.com really fucking sucks but it's the right thing to do.

Wow, a took a long time for someone to say return them!

Honestly, buy.com has been a pain in the ass to deal with and I don't generally order from them anymore unless there is dire need to order something they have.

Their mistake. If they can mess up this badly, imagine how bad they could mess up trying to set up a return...

Buy.com, being the awful company they are, fucked up. Their mistake. It is not your responsibility to rectify the situation. You shouldn't have to take responsibility for what they did. If you contact them or make any effort to return them, you are doing work that you didn't have to do. They shouldn't be wasting your time without you getting some sort of compensation. Just sell them. Honestly.

[quote name='nyprimus4']Return each to two different Walmarts for two wii games you don't have but want. Or wait a couple weeks and pick up Prince of Persia/Tiger Woods/Cooking Mama/TMNT/Medal of Honor.[/quote]

It wouldn't matter if you took them to 2 different Wal-Marts, or the same one 2 separate times. The track returns using your driver's licence # and will only allow X number of returns without a receipt (either within a certian time frame or forever...I'm not sure which). I know this because I've already reached my limit. Maybe a knowledgable Wal-Mart employee could enlighten us on the specifics. I for one would like to know if & when I'll be able to take things back to them again.

If I were you, I would wait a couple of weeks to see if they realized what they did. If they don't contact you at all within a couple of weeks, go to walmart and exchange them for other games.

Or you can send me a copy so I can give it to this girl at school.

[quote name='prmononoke']Buy.com, being the awful company they are, fucked up. Their mistake. It is not your responsibility to rectify the situation. You shouldn't have to take responsibility for what they did. If you contact them or make any effort to return them, you are doing work that you didn't have to do. They shouldn't be wasting your time without you getting some sort of compensation. Just sell them. Honestly.[/quote]

lol, Id like to hear you have the same attitude if you accidentally gave away $100 to some random guy and he wouldnt give it back. He doesnt have to do anything, but he may feel morally obligated to do the right thing.

I'd definately wait a couple weeks, then at least call them and say you got 1 extra copy.. they'll likely say just keep it if you return it they'll probably screw it up and give you a credit for what you paid,
Then in the end you'll still have the one you opened and the second extra copy..

[quote name='Escobar4Life']Or you can send me a copy so I can give it to this girl at school.[/quote]
I like this idea only because it ends with Escobar trying to get into a girl's pants with a video game.

I'd wait awhile to cover your ass. If you don't get charged there are a few CAG's looking for this game. Worse comes to worse you can do the infamous flipping. Though flipping is frowned upon here there are legitimate times you need to return something and Wal-Mart is the easiest way without a receipt. I think they limit you to 3 non-receipt returns every 6 months, but I could be wrong. Definitely do the Wal-Mart thing as a last resort if you don't return them to Buy.com

[quote name='reibeatall']I like this idea only because it ends with Escobar trying to get into a girl's pants with a video game.[/QUOTE]

lol. She's into video games. Especially the Wii.

This happened to me form eastbay once with a pair of shorts. Just keep the games, do as you please with them. I would feel bad though if I tried to return them to wal-mart or something then you are in effect kicking to corporations in the balls. Best thing to do would be either sell them on CAG, ebay. or like mentioned earlier hold a contest for one of them (or both) to give to the CAG community. PM cheapy and tell him to run something for them in the CAG cast.

I HATE buy.com. Keep them. This happened to me last year with DVD's from buy.com. I ordered two, and they sent three of each. I was nice enough to contact them about returning the duplicates, and they said "Oh, here's the address" and made ME pay for shipping. Screw that.

[quote name='naes']I'm probably gonna be the only one to say this, but it's just the way I was raised.

Contact Buy and tell them the truth. People and companies make mistakes.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Be honest because it would suck if something like this happened to you.

[quote name='Blitz']I agree with this. Be honest because it would suck if something like this happened to you.[/QUOTE]

It isn't that big of a mistake to someone like buy.com they could accidently send him 20 copies and probably wouldn't even notice. Not a big loss to them.

[quote name='mr ryles']It isn't that big of a mistake to someone like buy.com they could accidently send him 20 copies and probably wouldn't even notice. Not a big loss to them.[/QUOTE]

That's true but I'm just an honest person by nature. I don't like to take unless I have paid for.

Something very similar happened when I ordered Ouendan from yes-asia. I ordered the game, paid via paypal, it arrrived, and everything was fine. A month later, a second copy arrived. I felt obligated to contact yes-asia, and explained the situation. They gave me an address to return the package to, and told me to pay for the shipping. I was really surprised that they were going to charge me to ship a game back to them, when I wasn't at fault at all. Eventually, they agreed to refund my shipping, but later decided to refund the entire purchase price. In the end, I felt like I did the right thing, and I got the game for free.

But this it buy.com. I say keep it/have a contest/trade it.

Wal-Mart.com sent me an extra copy of a game once. I thought of returning it, but kept it instead. I worked for Wal-Mart at the time and considered it a bonus for being one of the best employees there. Seriously, when I left, they really wanted me back.

But anyway, morally speaking, the best thing to do is return them. It's up to you.

I don't see them sending you an extra copy of game as morally wrong. Think of it as all your good karma in the past catching up to you. Like stated before as well you will be charged to ship it back to them, so essentially you will be losing money to do, in your mind, "the right thing". In no way is this your fault, you didn't ask for this, it just happened, let it be.

[quote name='mr ryles']I don't see them sending you an extra copy of game as morally wrong. Think of it as all your good karma in the past catching up to you. Like stated before as well you will be charged to ship it back to them, so essentially you will be losing money to do, in your mind, "the right thing". In no way is this your fault, you didn't ask for this, it just happened, let it be.[/QUOTE]
Or, it's a chance for bad karma to pwn you in the d00k3r.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Or, it's a chance for bad karma to pwn you in the d00k3r.[/QUOTE]

I don't see how this could be bad karma. In know way did he try to dupe buy.com out of anything.

I see it as neutral karma.

Sure it would be super good karma to send them back. But in know way is this bad karma.

[quote name='mr ryles']I don't see how this could be bad karma. In know way did he try to dupe buy.com out of anything.

I see it as neutral karma.

Sure it would be super good karma to send them back. But in know way is this bad karma.[/QUOTE]
This is the same situation as a cashier giving you too much money back. Sure it's not illegal to stuff it in your pocket and walk, but it's not right.

[quote name='hhhdx4']lol, Id like to hear you have the same attitude if you accidentally gave away $100 to some random guy and he wouldnt give it back. He doesnt have to do anything, but he may feel morally obligated to do the right thing.[/quote]

Of course my attitude would be different. I'm an individual with a little over $1000 dollars in my two bank accounts, so $100 does make a difference. Besides, the time and effort to give back the $100 is a fraction of the time and effort spent in returning something to Buy.com. He would have to ship the item back and wait for a refund. Buy.com, being run by idiots, would probably take forever to refund him. So no, I wouldn't have the same attitude if the situation you described happened.

Besides, in what situation would this actually happen? I can't think of any time where I would just give away money.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']This is the same situation as a cashier giving you too much money back. Sure it's not illegal to stuff it in your pocket and walk, but it's not right.[/QUOTE]

No, because if that was a real life situation you are right there and the wrong can be corrected. This is a situation that has to be treated differently as it involves him having to pay in order to fix the mistake. If the cashier gives you an extra dollar, you don't say "heres the $1 back plus a few extra cuz I'm such a good guy."

[quote name='mr ryles']No, because if that was a real life situation you are right there and the wrong can be corrected. This is a situation that has to be treated differently as it involves him having to pay in order to fix the mistake. If the cashier gives you an extra dollar, you don't say "heres the $1 back plus a few extra cuz I'm such a good guy."[/QUOTE]
:rofl:
"real life situation"
:lol:

Good one.

That aside, who's to say buy.com wouldn't send him a prepaid shipper?

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']:rofl:
"real life situation"
:lol:

Good one.

That aside, who's to say buy.com wouldn't send him a prepaid shipper?[/QUOTE]

I knew I shouldn't have put that in there. I was just being to lazy to re-word it. :lol:

[quote name='mr ryles']I knew I shouldn't have put that in there. I was just being to lazy to re-word it. :lol:[/QUOTE]
Heh, sorry...I had to tag you on that one.

OP I still think you should hold onto the games for at least another week just to be sure no charges go through.

Was there any type of receipt in the package with the other 2 games?

Contact them. My expierence in the past with things like this is ath it's such a small thing that the company won't even care and just tell you to keep it. But, it's for them to decide it, not you.

Besides, the burden of a guilty conscience ain't worth $100.

[quote name='prmononoke']Of course my attitude would be different. I'm an individual with a little over $1000 dollars in my two bank accounts, so $100 does make a difference. Besides, the time and effort to give back the $100 is a fraction of the time and effort spent in returning something to Buy.com. He would have to ship the item back and wait for a refund. Buy.com, being run by idiots, would probably take forever to refund him. So no, I wouldn't have the same attitude if the situation you described happened.

Besides, in what situation would this actually happen? I can't think of any time where I would just give away money.[/quote]

Just because buy.com has money doesnt make it any less wrong, those two games are not supposed to be his. He doesnt have to send them back and hes not doing anyhting illegal (atleast I dont think) but morally speaking he should atleast attempt to do the right thing. This is along the same line of thinking as "Stealing is okay aslong as its a big faceless corporation"

"No, because if that was a real life situation you are right there and the wrong can be corrected. This is a situation that has to be treated differently as it involves him having to pay in order to fix the mistake. If the cashier gives you an extra dollar, you don't say "heres the $1 back plus a few extra cuz I'm such a good guy."

if a cashier gives you the wrong amount of change he will probobly get reprimanded because you didnt feel like being a nice guy. and we dont know Buy.com wont send him a pre-paid shipper to make it easy on them or even refund the whole thing and let him have the game for free.

Really though, what do you tell Buy.com?

"You guys sent me two copies of a game I didn't order and that you have no record of. I'd like to send them back to you."

I think the real question here is who deserves to get screwed more - Buy.com or Wal-Mart? I say that if you wanna return them to Buy.com, only return one - take the other to Wal-Mart and get another game free of charge. Guaranteed that Buy.com isn't losing sleep over losing two games.

Ok, I'm seriously weighing in on this. There are so many things that need to be logically differentiated between here.

1. There is a HUGE difference between screwing over a person and screwing over a corporation. Sure, call me cynical, pessimistic, cold, WHATEVER, but those of you saying "Return it. It's the right thing to do!" *gag*. I'm guessing you're still in your teens and haven't had the opportunity for our wonderful government or any large corporate entity to bend you over and ask how it feels. I'm sorry if I don't feel remorse to a something that could care less if I even exist.

2. The subject of karma and rewards for good things you've done reminds me of the joke about the flood, and the guy who kept saying "God's going to take care of me." 2 boats and a helicopter try to save him, but he drowns, then gets mad at God saying "I thought you'd take care of me!". And God tells him "I sent 2 boats and a helicopter you dummy!". Take this as you will, but you can't ever have good things happen to you if you refuse them all. Just my 2 cents.

bread's done
Back