Buy.com just sent me two free games by mistake. What should I do?

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Ok, I'm seriously weighing in on this. There are so many things that need to be logically differentiated between here.

1. There is a HUGE difference between screwing over a person and screwing over a corporation. Sure, call me cynical, pessimistic, cold, WHATEVER, but those of you saying "Return it. It's the right thing to do!" *gag*. I'm guessing you're still in your teens and haven't had the opportunity for our wonderful government or any large corporate entity to bend you over and ask how it feels. I'm sorry if I don't feel remorse to a something that could care less if I even exist.

2. The subject of karma and rewards for good things you've done reminds me of the joke about the flood, and the guy who kept saying "God's going to take care of me." 2 boats and a helicopter try to save him, but he drowns, then gets mad at God saying "I thought you'd take care of me!". And God tells him "I sent 2 boats and a helicopter you dummy!". Take this as you will, but you can't ever have good things happen to you if you refuse them all. Just my 2 cents.[/quote]

How is there a huge difference in screwing over a person and screwing over a corporation?

Is it simply a volume issue? Is it because there is no face to Buy.com? Or is it because they're such a pain in the ass and it's about time somebody screwed them over?

And I'm not quite sure I get the point of your 2nd comment. God hates people who float in the water?

[quote name='reibeatall']How is there a huge difference in screwing over a person and screwing over a corporation?

Is it simply a volume issue? Is it because there is no face to Buy.com? Or is it because they're such a pain in the ass and it's about time somebody screwed them over?

And I'm not quite sure I get the point of your 2nd comment. God hates people who float in the water?[/quote]

I think the point of his second comment is this, " but you can't ever have good things happen to you if you refuse them all" or in other words, keep the games.

This happened to me once with Walmart.com. I got a toy for my son for christmas and they ended up sending 2 in the same box but only charged me for one. I ended up giving one of them to my wife's sister to give to her kids. If it is such a "moral" dillema for you to keep them or flip them, give them away.

I agree that you should wait and see what happens at least a couple of weeks because there is a good chance they could realize their error.

While tempting to keep them for trade value or sale, the right thing to do would be to contact them. Who knows? They might even let you keep them. Yeah right! I usually only order from Buy.com when the deal is just too good to pass up. I'm still hoping my Saint's Row order goes through !

If you decide to exchsnge them at a store, Target also tracks by drivers license and gives you 2 or 3 receipt free exchanges per year. I've heard different numbers from different employees.

[quote name='reibeatall']
Or is it because they're such a pain in the ass and it's about time somebody screwed them over?

[/QUOTE]

The thing is your not really screwing them over as they are a big corporation. They aren't going to notice 2 games missing out of there warehouse. And if it was a big deal buy.com would have contacted him by now.

[quote name='mr ryles']The thing is your not really screwing them over as they are a big corporation. They aren't going to notice 2 games missing out of there warehouse. And if it was a big deal buy.com would have contacted him by now.[/quote]

Well yeah, that's part of it. I guess what I'm saying more (and I've said this with FYE and numerous other international chains) is that do you think they'd hesitate to overcharge you, or would be sincerely upset if your order was messed up and you raised hell and said you'd never shop there again? Fact is, you're NOTHING to a large corporation (Wal-Mart is the best example). If you don't buy from them, they've got a million people to take your place. The point here is that it's business. If you view your puchases as "doing business", there's not a whole lot of room for moral ambiguity. Call me a barracuda if you like, but I feel no shame. When something good happens to me, I just remember all the time I go through Wendy's drive-thru and they short me a burger (happens all the time...morons). Washes the guilt right away :D

EDIT - Before I get any "don't stoop to their level", "take the high road", "but I'm better than that" responses, who the fuck are you kidding? lol...stop kidding yourself.

[quote name='reibeatall']And I'm not quite sure I get the point of your 2nd comment. God hates people who float in the water?[/QUOTE]

Please tell me your not as dense as Jessica Simpson. I'd hate to think a fellow DFW native didn't get the story about the guy drowning. To summarize karma might come to those who wait, but you might miss those things when they're right in front of you because you're focused in the long term and not the short. Good things came to the man in the flood waters, but his faith in God went against him in some respects because he was expecting something major down the road instead of something minor right in front of him.

[quote name='neudog']Please tell me your not as dense as Jessica Simpson. I'd hate to think a fellow DFW native didn't get the story about the guy drowning. To summarize karma might come to those who wait, but you might miss those things when they're right in front of you because you're focused in the long term and not the short. Good things came to the man in the flood waters, but his faith in God went against him in some respects because he was expecting something major down the road instead of something minor right in front of him.[/quote]

No no no, I understood it; My post was just a horrible attempt at a chuckle.

[quote name='schuerm26']I think the point of his second comment is this, " but you can't ever have good things happen to you if you refuse them all" or in other words, keep the games.

This happened to me once with Walmart.com. I got a toy for my son for christmas and they ended up sending 2 in the same box but only charged me for one. I ended up giving one of them to my wife's sister to give to her kids. If it is such a "moral" dillema for you to keep them or flip them, give them away.[/quote]
I'm in agreement here. I would A) give them to someone who would really enjoy them and can't afford new games often, or B) sell them and maybe put the money towards a children's fund (I'm thinking http://www.childsplaycharity.org/, the Penny Arcade thing).

The way i see it, stealing or dishonesty can't be justified, no matter if it's from a corporation or a guy on the street. Yes, there are differences and one may be less bad, but dishonest is dishonest. I agree that if there's a risk of them giving you shit over it, trying to charge you, or making you pay shipping, then fuck that, but since it's not games/money you would have had to begin with, I say charity is the way to go.

Turn that potentially bad (though circumstantial) karma into undeniably good karma :D

[quote name='dragonreborn23']Wwjd?[/quote]

First, he would probably wonder why this game sucks so much. Second, he would realize that someone at EA was involved. Lastly, he would send all three copies back.

dragonreborn23 is such a cool name that it has shaken my world to its very FOUNDATIONS. Way to quote yourself. Wow.

To the OP- I'd call buy.com and tell the truth.

If you end up not doing that though, I'd buy one from you.

[quote name='yukine']You've had more than enough suggestions by now. So what do you plan on doing, OP?[/quote]
I think I have pretty much made up my mind, but I still appreciate the suggestions. I know I should try to do the right thing and tell Buy.com, but it just isn't worth the risk. If I knew for a fact that they would just send me a prepaid shipper, I'd be fine with it. But I just have a feeling, judging by everyone else's experiences, that they would either charge me for the games or force me to go through the hassle and expense of shipping it back. As I had absolutely no part in this whatsoever, I don't think that would be fair.

I think I will just wait a week or so before I do anything, to make sure there are no additional charges. I still want to do a good thing though, so I plan on giving one copy away to a friend, and selling it on CAG for a discounted price.

Do you guys think that sounds like a good idea?

If a corporation sends you 3 copies of a game by accident it doesn't deserve 2 of them back. You shouldn't have to do extra work for their mistake. Buy deserves to lose money for this. If everyone just forgave all the crappy businesses for their mistakes all we would have is crappy businesses. Just do what other people have said with them (sell on CAG/eBay or make a contest or something).

EDIT
Yeah your plan sounds pretty good. They can't legally just send you 2 games and charge you more for them, though. Waiting a week wouldn't hurt I guess.

I would say to call them and ask in hypotheticals if they are going to make you pay to correct their mistake than fuck them their loss if they are willing to send a shipper then send one back keep one (for the trouble and all, lets say pain and suffering for agonizing over returning them or not.) thats just my two cents, oh and to all the stealing is wrong people........if he has to pay to send them back then you shouldn't make him feel bad.

bread's done
Back