Buy.com-Sign up for CC get $50 off 1st purchase of $51+

[quote name='Zhanmadao']you forgot to mention how this is a great way to mess with your credit[/QUOTE]

I guess if you have bad credit...but if your like me who doesnt have any debt or that many credit cards then I dont see the big deal.....

I don't see why not a credit card is a credit card. I got it ended up getting Culdcept Saga and the strat guide to Lost Odyssey, total came to 51.50 or so and I thought I kicked ass, but then the -50 made me have to pay shipping again so it cose me $5 and some change.

I might keep the credit card kicking aorund a little bit, I have a worthless Citi card I'm going to cancel, I might even pick up the Buy.com for $30 off and pick up another game.

[quote name='pelf21']I guess if you have bad credit...but if your like me who doesnt have any debt or that many credit cards then I dont see the big deal.....[/quote]

Carrying a bunch of credit cards around that you don't use can actually hurt your score.

[quote name='contej85']Carrying a bunch of credit cards around that you don't use can actually hurt your score.[/quote]

LOL

You're joking, right?

They help tremendiously with utilization, which you want to keep low, since it boosts your score.

Don't talk out of your ass dude.

You want Credit Lines open, especially if you don't use them and they have no annual fee.

Some places can look at it as potential debt, but for the most part if you use credit cards correctly you'll never have a problem. Pay stuff on time, pay it off monthly etc

Sides if you do get worried about having too many 0 balance cards, just call em up and cancel them.

I think where you run into trouble is if you do too many of them at once, as you get a credit inquiry each time and I think if you go to get a big loan it might look bad if you have multiple inquries in the last 6 months etc.

edit: by doing too many I mean applying

[quote name='Trenchalicious']LOL

You're joking, right?

They help tremendiously with utilization, which you want to keep low, since it boosts your score.

You want Credit Lines open, especially if you don't use them and they have no annual fee.[/quote]

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:
Agreed and for those that would like the facts and alot of other good info take a look here. Honestly this site is full of great info. Read up fellow Cags. Check out the forums.

[quote name='rmb']:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:
Agreed and for those that would like the facts and alot of other good info take a look here. Honestly this site is full of great info. Read up fellow Cags. Check out the forums.[/quote]

Love that site :D

FW has a pretty nice finance section as well.

Keeping unused open lines of credit is not the best idea, if your starting out trying to establish credit it wont really hurt. If you have a long credit history and its in good standing to much "open" credit can/and sometimes will lower your score. This all depends on income and payment history. Not to mention whenever a credit report is run on you it also effects your score.

Try to buy a house and see how they manage to use your income/debt ratio. Debt ratio includes unused open lines of credit. If you do have multiple cards its best to keep your balance under %50 of your limit even if its only a $500 limit. This will actually help your score a bit.

[quote name='Trenchalicious']LOL

You're joking, right?

You want Credit Lines open, especially if you don't use them and they have no annual fee.[/quote]

What the heck is a "revolution card". I figured it would be signing up for a Visa. I have no idea what this thing is.

Better read the fine print on this offer. I really doubt they're just going to let you use their $50 off without locking you into something.

[quote name='Zhanmadao']you forgot to mention how this is a great way to mess with your credit[/QUOTE]

/thread

It's not worth it people.

Hmm. I got approved but keep getting stuck at the card activation page. I get a "Cards Not configured please contact Customer Care" message. And their phone number doesn't work. I could try activating it from their website, but will it invalidate the $50 promo if I do it that way?

Edit: never mind, finally got it to go through. Now what to buy?

I signed up for it, everything went smoothly, and seemed on the up and up. They even included an opt out form for third party advertising up front, something I've NEVER seen other credit card companies do. I read as much of the fine print as I could stomach, nothing out of the ordinary that I could see.
I did a test checkout on buy.com, and the fifty bucks is there, waiting to be used.

[quote name='gindias']

Try to buy a house and see how they manage to use your income/debt ratio. Debt ratio includes unused open lines of credit. If you do have multiple cards its best to keep your balance under %50 of your limit even if its only a $500 limit. This will actually help your score a bit.[/QUOTE]

As a mortgage lender, all I can say is that the above comment about debt to income ratios is about as wrong as anything I've ever read on the internet. (and that takes some work!) It's called a debt ratio because it measures debt YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, not some fictional number that might happen 4 years down the road. Sorry to take you to task about that, but I hate when misinformation gets spread about what I do all day, every day.

The comment about keeping balances 50% or lower is pretty much correct. There are two tiers that you want to try and stay under in your revolving credit on each individual account as well as your total revolving credit available. It's 30% and 50% respectively. Obviously, it is looked at better to be below 30%. It's also not a good thing to close out accounts you aren't using, as I've seen mentioned above.

An example that I use when I teach is let's say you have 5 cards with a $2000 limit for each of them. One of the accounts you have is maxed at the full $2000. The rest have zero balances. The credit bureau looks at each individual account to see if it's below 30%, below 50%, or above 50%. In this case, you'll get dinged for the one account at $2k, but the other 4 are under 30% which is good. The credit bureau then looks at your total revolving credit available and sees you are using 2k out of 10k that is available to you. (20%, below the 30% tier, and a good thing) This shows responsible borrowing. It shows you have access to 10k worth of credit but CHOOSE TO USE only 2k. You have self discipline and as such are a lower credit risk.

Now let's say the person in this example hears the incorrect assumption from someone claiming that you should close any of the accounts you aren't using. They take this advice to heart and close the 4 cards with 2k limits and zero balances. This is a good thing, right? WRONG! You went from having 10k worth of credit available to having 2k and that 2k is used to the hilt. You now look like a credit junkie. From a lender's perspective, it now looks like if you have it available to you, you will use it to the maximum. You are the definition of a credit risk.

This is just one part that goes into your total credit scores(revolving usage), but something that I feel people should realize how it works. And I apologize for taking this thread way off course!

[quote name='Iningo_Montoya']As a mortgage lender, all I can say is that the above comment about debt to income ratios is about as wrong as anything I've ever read on the internet. (and that takes some work!) It's called a debt ratio because it measures debt YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, not some fictional number that might happen 4 years down the road. Sorry to take you to task about that, but I hate when misinformation gets spread about what I do all day, every day.

The comment about keeping balances 50% or lower is pretty much correct. There are two tiers that you want to try and stay under in your revolving credit on each individual account as well as your total revolving credit available. It's 30% and 50% respectively. Obviously, it is looked at better to be below 30%. It's also not a good thing to close out accounts you aren't using, as I've seen mentioned above.

An example that I use when I teach is let's say you have 5 cards with a $2000 limit for each of them. One of the accounts you have is maxed at the full $2000. The rest have zero balances. The credit bureau looks at each individual account to see if it's below 30%, below 50%, or above 50%. In this case, you'll get dinged for the one account at $2k, but the other 4 are under 30% which is good. The credit bureau then looks at your total revolving credit available and sees you are using 2k out of 10k that is available to you. (20%, below the 30% tier, and a good thing) This shows responsible borrowing. It shows you have access to 10k worth of credit but CHOOSE TO USE only 2k. You have self discipline and as such are a lower credit risk.

Now let's say the person in this example hears the incorrect assumption from someone claiming that you should close any of the accounts you aren't using. They take this advice to heart and close the 4 cards with 2k limits and zero balances. This is a good thing, right? WRONG! You went from having 10k worth of credit available to having 2k and that 2k is used to the hilt. You now look like a credit junkie. From a lender's perspective, it now looks like if you have it available to you, you will use it to the maximum. You are the definition of a credit risk.

This is just one part that goes into your total credit scores(revolving usage), but something that I feel people should realize how it works. And I apologize for taking this thread way off course![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. So, this means that I'm doing great because I only have one credit card and I keep the balance at 0 but the limit is only $200. I was wondering if it would hurt me to increase the balance on this one account in a few months because I have only had the card since November and was trying to wait 6 months before I asked for a balance increase.

I also have heard that it's better to have bank cards like Visa & Mastercard which at the moment I'm thinking about getting because the only card I have is a store card to improve my credit. I had one before but I never used it so the credit company closed out my account.

[quote name='Iningo_Montoya']As a mortgage lender, all I can say is that the above comment about debt to income ratios is about as wrong as anything I've ever read on the internet. (and that takes some work!) It's called a debt ratio because it measures debt YOU ACTUALLY HAVE, not some fictional number that might happen 4 years down the road. Sorry to take you to task about that, but I hate when misinformation gets spread about what I do all day, every day.

This is just one part that goes into your total credit scores(revolving usage), but something that I feel people should realize how it works. And I apologize for taking this thread way off course![/quote]

:applause:

This is just one part that goes into your total credit scores(revolving usage), but something that I feel people should realize how it works. And I apologize for taking this thread way off course![/QUOTE]

Seriously, great post. Thanks for the info.

I agree, thank you very much Iningo_Montoya, as I've always feared opening new accounts because I was afraid it would ruin my credit.

I do have another completely off topic question though, if you are going to close an account will that hurt your credit? I mean just the general act of closing an account, even if practically every other account you have is kept at 0. I was told if you do close an account you need to check with them to make sure they say it was closed by you, not cancelled by them.

Sorry about this, but I dunno where else to take these questions.

I just gave it a try. I ordered the Guitar Hero 3 PS2 bundle. I bought the white wireless guitar for PS2 and man did it suck. The fret buttons were awful and I could not do hammer ons and pull offs. I returned it this morning.

I'd read the GH3 bundled wireless guitar was really good. You can't buy it on its own. So, I'm using the $50 to go towards the bundle. I'll sell the game since I already have it for Xbox 360.

[quote name='Hoffer']I just gave it a try. I ordered the Guitar Hero 3 PS2 bundle. I bought the white wireless guitar for PS2 and man did it suck. The fret buttons were awful and I could not do hammer ons and pull offs. I returned it this morning.

I'd read the GH3 bundled wireless guitar was really good. You can't buy it on its own. So, I'm using the $50 to go towards the bundle. I'll sell the game since I already have it for Xbox 360.[/quote]

The problem with selling the game off a bundle is that there is a No Resell Text where the SKU is supposed to be so it looks like if you want to sell a copy it will probably have to be the one that you have played already unless your trading it in to gamestop or ebaying it.

[quote name='flames_of_chaos']The problem with selling the game off a bundle is that there is a No Resell Text where the SKU is supposed to be so it looks like if you want to sell a copy it will probably have to be the one that you have played already unless your trading it in to gamestop or ebaying it.[/quote]

I thought about trying the "return to Wal-Mart without receipt" thing. I checked out my 360 version of GH3 and saw it had no UPC. Instead it said "Not for Resale". I'll just eBay it.

Well then I apologize for suggesting to close it after using it, I personally have multiple credit cards and most of them do run a 0 balance. My credit is quite good and don't think closing it would hurt me, but then from the previous info sounds like keeping it open is even better.

So let's all get as many open accounts as we can!!! Wait now we increase our odds of having our identities stolen and then our credit scores will go down again :(

i just did it, and all seemed to be on the up and up, bought burnout paradise, and paid for shipping. total was 13.00

This is just one part that goes into your total credit scores(revolving usage), but something that I feel people should realize how it works. And I apologize for taking this thread way off course![/quote]

Bravo.

About to sign up, but does anyone know if it works on preorders? I want to see if I can get Rainbow 6: Vegas 2 using this deal.

Well, Buy.com is a pretty reputable business, so it is pretty safe to assume that any partnership they would enter into would also consist of a legitimate business or businesses.

:applause:

Anyone do the Buy.com Chase Visa card for -$30 too?

I did the Amazon Chase Visa card so I'm not sure if I can do this one too.

bread's done
Back