Buy Halo: Reach - Defiant Map Pack through May 15th, get 400 Microsoft Points

Like the other xbox live deals, I think this is targeted. The link just takes me to some trivia sweepstakes thing and I don't see any mention of this deal on my rewards page :(

EDIT: I stand corrected. Great deal! Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='yuyak']Like the other xbox live deals, I think this is targeted. The link just takes me to some trivia sweepstakes thing and I don't see any mention of this deal on my rewards page :([/QUOTE]

Try scrolling down.

[quote name='XF Gator']The Defiant Map pack must have been a flop!

Did anybody buy it, is it worth $5?[/QUOTE]

I think so. The maps are good, but not remarkable. I haven't played Reach since the week the maps came out, but there weren't a ton of people playing them. I don't think I saw more than 10k people in the map pack playlist even though the overall game numbers were high. That's obviously plenty of people to find games, and the matchmaking was speedy, but it just seems like a small percentage of the overall players. Maybe a lot of people, or their friends, didn't care enough about new maps so they keep their party in a different playlist.

OP should note the T&C

Special Offers: There are two (2) special offers, (each a "Special Offer").

a. Special Offer 1: During the Promotion Period, spend two hundred (200) or more Microsoft Points in the Xbox LIVE Marketplace and you will receive a code for one (1) Halo Banshee Avatar Item ("Special Offer 1"). Limit: One (1) Special Offer 1 per person.

b. Special Offer 2: During the Promotion Period, purchase Halo Reach Defiant Map Pack or Halo Reach Games on Demand and you will receive four hundred (400) Microsoft Points ("Special Offer 2"). Limit: One (1) Special Offer 2 per person. Terms and conditions of Microsoft Points apply. Points expire 12/31/11.

Each Special Offer is a code that will be emailed 8-10 weeks after the end of the Promotion Period.

Yea but when do you get the free 400 points? The standard 8-12 weeks? I did this with Microsoft like 6-8 months ago when they had a promo for "buy 3 select downloadable add-ons and get 800 microsoft points". I downloaded the 3 and never received a credit for ANY points.

The maps are great. Highlands is awesome for CTF games and big team battle. I forget the name of the other multiplayer one, but it's great for pretty much any gametype. The new firefight map is awesome because it's been designed from the ground up for firefight. No "copying straight from the campaign" here. I just wish I held off a bit so I could have taken advantage of this deal.

Kinda lame to reward the "on-the-fence" users, but no reward for the people who bought the map pack on day 1 or last month to take advantage of the 5% back offer :(

Good maps though, both map packs add wonders to Reach's MP.

Sucks. My son bought this *literally* the evening before I got the email with the offer. I'm not sure if it would have worked for him, since he's a "child account" on our family plan, but the timing was still annoying. I'm still on the fence about this, though. The Noble Map Pack was decent, I guess, but I was still disappointed with it. As little as I play Reach these days, this probably isn't worth the trouble. If they were to cut the price to 400 points, I'd be more inclined... feels too much like a mail-in-rebate for my blood.

yeah, this deal is great for anyone who wants the map pack and a big noble shaft for anyone that bought it before the ms point rebate.

unless you play the map pack playlist, you'll rarely see the map come up in multiplayer...and when it comes up in FF most ppl don't vote for it because it's too much effort to kill the covi vs. other FF maps.

[quote name='100xp']yeah, this deal is great for anyone who wants the map pack and a big noble shaft for anyone that bought it before the ms point rebate.

[/QUOTE]

This happens all the time with Halo DLC. Every one should have been prepared for it either A) Go free after a couple of months or B) Get steeply discounted. It's been the trend for Halo DLC since Halo 2.

I'm going to wait and see if i get mt % back for march before it do this. I renewed my live sub and never got the points your supposed to get through rewards. There support is useless.

The last map pack none of my friends wanted to ever play it even for the achievements. I felt it was way to expensive myself for 3 maps which only 1 seemed fresh. I liked the space one but none of my friends did. I think overall the last map pack was not really cared for and people went back to the regular maps. I enjoyed tempest on multi team the one time it was there. It is a shame they limit what can be played on the new maps which is why i felt i was jipped.

The achievements for the last map pack and this one are so simple even new people should not have a problem. I miss achievements that took awhile to get. The new map pack i might bite in may just cause the 400 refund. I rather play homefront these days. They keep changing stuff in reach for the worst IMO. Multi is team of 3 and seems to blah for me and that was the last older playlist stuff they did not touch that i liked. I bet these new maps are the same type of so so maps they had in the stock game. It feels like they get user created maps from forge and release them type quality. That could be a good thing but they seem to pick the bland ones type thing. I think they lost there touch and love for the series. Oh well when they get new armor i will continue again with it. I played this game nonstop since launch for 4-5 months i need some new armor dangit.

A+ deal
? for quality of the map pack (My friends that did buy it said they wished they didnt like the last pack... why i did not buy it yet.)

[quote name='DarkRider23']This happens all the time with Halo DLC. Every one should have been prepared for it either A) Go free after a couple of months or B) Get steeply discounted. It's been the trend for Halo DLC since Halo 2.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this, Halo DLC doesn't have a reputation for going on sale like this for 360. This might have been a pattern for Halo 2 but not since Halo 3 did DLC go on sale like this, this quickly.

In case it helps anyone in their decision-making, here's why I did not (and am not) getting the Defiant Map Pack.

1) I bought the Noble Map Pack and, overall, it was decent. When the maps showed up as voting options though, I was always the one person that ever voted for them. Why didn't more people vote for them? You bought them. And it's not often that you get thrown into a full lobby where everyone has the map pack, so why not add a little variety and play on them?

Since I rarely got to play on the Noble maps unless I specifically selected the Noble playlist, I didn't feel like I got my money's worth. And you can only play so many games on the Noble playlist before you get bored...

2) I don't like firefight. I enjoy it on rare occasions, but it's not the main reason I play Reach. Defiant has an entire map that can only be played in firefight. So I'm basically just getting 2 new maps. No thanks.

3) The map packs are not required in the regular playlists. I thought the Halo 3 map packs were great and I would've gotten them anyways, but you had to buy them if you wanted to play certain playlists like Team SWAT. In Reach, none of the map packs are required so easy decision there when combined with the first two listed above.

[quote name='Stimes']Why does it say Halo Reach Games? Is there more than one?[/QUOTE]
It's not "Halo Reach Games" It's "Halo Reach Games on Demand"

Ok thanks, I just got Halo Reach today and plan to get the defiant pack because it's on sale. Is the other map pack a must have or should I wait for it to go on sale?

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw this deal when I logged on to do the instant win contest. Downloading it now. Does this qualify for the banshee avatar item as well?

Thanks MS, fuck us early adopters... I was thinking of getting the Games on Demand version of Reach but it's back to $60, it was $50 a week or two ago.

Has anyone got their points pending from the 5% Mach rebate yet? I got mine on the 31st and it still hasn't shown up yet. I know it says it may take up to 96 hours but it's been way past that for me.

Just to keep the Early Adopter train rolling, are all of us who bought the Defiant pack prior to this deal left in the cold, or is there anything we can do? I tried re-downloading it but no luck :(

Well crap. I bought the map pack with Bing MSP so I would've gotten 400MSP at no cost. :D (I think, didn't read into that)

I'll be a son of a gun I just bought this other day, actually this and the noble map packs using my $20 credit from gears 3 from walmart preorder on 1600 points card then used those on both noble and defiant. Win some lose some I suppose but anyone who downloads the map packs can't really lose can they :)

[quote name='clickpow']This offer doesn't show on my rewards page anymore, even though I know it said until May 15th[/QUOTE]

Just check the link in the OP

[quote name='Fossum206']Kinda lame to reward the "on-the-fence" users, but no reward for the people who bought the map pack on day 1 or last month to take advantage of the 5% back offer :(

Good maps though, both map packs add wonders to Reach's MP.[/QUOTE]

No need to reward you, they got your money and they'll get it again

*evil laugh*

Just a thought but the Noble Map Pack is currently on sale for 400MSP. So if you buy the Defiant Map Pack you get 400MSP back which would pay for the Noble Map Pack. So basically it can be considered B1G1. Buy the Defiant Map Pack and get the Noble Map Pack for free. Am I right or wrong. Maybe the OP could add this for other people to see and try it out.

I really can't decide if I want to buy it now and hope they give me my 400 points back, or just wait until it goes on sale for 400 points. They never gave me my 5% back from March so I'm not counting on getting 400 points back from them.

[quote name='Vap']I really can't decide if I want to buy it now and hope they give me my 400 points back, or just wait until it goes on sale for 400 points. They never gave me my 5% back from March so I'm not counting on getting 400 points back from them.[/QUOTE]
The offers usually take 8-10 weeks to go through, so maybe your 5% back is still incoming.

[quote name='xTyDiRiUmx']Yea but when do you get the free 400 points? The standard 8-12 weeks? I did this with Microsoft like 6-8 months ago when they had a promo for "buy 3 select downloadable add-ons and get 800 microsoft points". I downloaded the 3 and never received a credit for ANY points.[/QUOTE]

I did a similar offer a few months ago where you had to spend 2400 points on game add-ons. I was supposed to get 800 points back, but I don't think that ever happened. Anyone know if there is a way to double check on that?

Sorry to resurrect a week old thread.

[quote name='The Ju1ce']I did a similar offer a few months ago where you had to spend 2400 points on game add-ons. I was supposed to get 800 points back, but I don't think that ever happened. Anyone know if there is a way to double check on that?

Sorry to resurrect a week old thread.[/QUOTE]

I remember that deal I bought up some DLC I had wanted and I did get my points back.

As for this deal much

[quote name='powersurge']Oh btw any idea how you get the banshee prop? Is it just an email code I have to wait for? Not a big deal just wondering. It would be the cherry on top for this deal. 400msp for the map pack and the prop not so bad.[/QUOTE]

Yes. According to post #8 the code will be sent to you via email.

I bought the map pack, but do you actually have to play the game to get the points? I haven't seen any clarification on that, and even though I have Halo Reach, but 360 backlog is huge.

If I have to open and play the game for fifteen minutes to get the points I will, but otherwise, it's gonna sit until I can finish even one of the games I'm working on.

[quote name='Raccoon2117']I bought the map pack, but do you actually have to play the game to get the points? I haven't seen any clarification on that, and even though I have Halo Reach, but 360 backlog is huge.

If I have to open and play the game for fifteen minutes to get the points I will, but otherwise, it's gonna sit until I can finish even one of the games I'm working on.[/QUOTE]

I would have to think they just see that you bought it.

[quote name='lazyb']I would have to think they just see that you bought it.[/QUOTE]

Correct, you only need to buy it to get the refund. They give 2 shits if you play it or not.

Any idea if you can just buy the card specifically for Defiant Map Pack from a retailer and still get the points?

I ask because I have $10 in GameStop credit left that I'd like to use up on just the map pack instead of spending $10 more dollars to get a points card. Probably going to get the points card to play it safe though.

Don't forget, you should have also gotten a free 48-hours Live code at the bottom of the e-mail.

bread's done
Back