Buy Ponyo on Blu-Ray or DVD, get $10/$12 off another select Miyazaki movie

Showstoppa42

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
I didn't see this posted before, my apologies if this is a repost...

Best Buy is currently offering $10 off select Miyazaki movies with the purchase of Ponyo on Blu-ray or DVD. The list includes:

Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind - Widescreen - DVD
Porco Rosso - Widescreen Dubbed Dolby - DVD
Kiki's Delivery Service - Widescreen Subtitle AC3 Special - DVD
Spirited Away - DVD
Princess Mononoke - DVD
Castle in the Sky - Widescreen Subtitle AC3 Dolby - DVD
My Neighbor Totoro - Widescreen Subtitle Special - DVD

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat204200050008&type=category

I haven't tried this in the store, but I wonder if the $10 off coupon for the Blu-Ray will stack (from Ponyocoupon.com)...

Also, for those looking to save on tax and shipping, Amazon is offering a similiar deal:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht..._rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=93192502&pf_rd_i=B002ZTQVHK

For a limited time, pick up Miyazaki's latest masterpiece Ponyo on DVD or Blu-ray with another classic Studio Ghlibi release and save $10. To receive the $10 discount, add both titles to your cart and enter the promotional code "PONYOTEN" at checkout.

Order the special edition 2-Disc DVD gift set of Ponyo with a plush toy along with one of the Studio Ghlibi titles below and save $12. To receive the $12 discount, add both titles to your cart and enter the promotional code "PONYOSPE" at checkout.

Offer ends on June 2, 2010 and is only valid for one item per customer. This offer is only valid on the products shown below. Additional restrictions apply; see terms and conditions.

[quote name='Showstoppa42']
I haven't tried this in the store, but I wonder if the $10 off coupon for the Blu-Ray will stack (from Ponyocoupon.com)...[/QUOTE]

It does... I got Ponyo & Castle in the Sky for $27~ tonight.

Ponyo + Ponyo = $20.00 + tax = ~$23.50 (using 2 ponyo coupons with the best buy deal). I bought it today in the morning.

Note - I saw this deal posted on FatWallet yesterday.

I tried using the $10 ponyo coupon with CITS but no luck. They just said NO... :whistle2:/ Oh well still got Ponyo by itself & used $15 gc on CITS. Oh well.... lucky for those who get it to work with the deal+coupon.

I purchased Ponyo on Tuesday with the $10 Off Coupon before i heard about this (there was no signage in-store for it)
Today I went in and asked to take advantage of it... The cashier was really confused, returned my old sale and rang through the new one successfully, plus a $5 RZ Coupon that would essentially make Totoro $5!
I walked out and looked at my receipts and realized she returned the FULL PRICE Ponyo before coupon, then took the coupon off again when I rebought... So, I got Totoro for free, plus a few extra dollars credited to my account. I'm still confused how it all happened, but oh well. I guess your store will vary on how they will apply the deals. Just tell them one is an "In Store Sale" and the other is a "Manufacturers Coupon" and to try to ring them out - it does work!

Wow, I didn't even know there was a $10 coupon at ponyocoupon.com... Just emailed Amazon to see if there's anything they'll do for me.

It's too bad that there aren't any other Miyazaki movies out on blu-ray yet. I don't even want standard DVDs at this point.

[quote name='arcane93']It's too bad that there aren't any other Miyazaki movies out on blu-ray yet. I don't even want standard DVDs at this point.[/QUOTE]

Buy 2 Ponyo's for $20. Then you keep one and sell one to someone else you know that wants one. Or if you don't know anyone, you could Ebay the other and at least break even on the 10 dollars. I don't know a way to get it any cheaper.

[quote name='arcane93']It's too bad that there aren't any other Miyazaki movies out on blu-ray yet. I don't even want standard DVDs at this point.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat and the only one I would have considered is how's moving castle.

The Ponyo Blu-Ray even has a whole section devoted to Ghibli movies that show what a half decent conversion would look like.

[quote name='gkrykewy']Wow, I didn't even know there was a $10 coupon at ponyocoupon.com... Just emailed Amazon to see if there's anything they'll do for me.[/QUOTE]

Lame; they wouldn't give me their usual 'courtesy credit.' Oh well - always worth a shot.

[quote name='gkrykewy']Lame; they wouldn't give me their usual 'courtesy credit.' Oh well - always worth a shot.[/QUOTE]

These coupons from Disney make pre-ordering Disney blus from Amazon a bad decision.

[quote name='gkrykewy']Lame; they wouldn't give me their usual 'courtesy credit.' Oh well - always worth a shot.[/QUOTE]

The problem is that the stores that take the coupons are getting reimbursed from Disney. If Amazon gives you $10 off then they lose money.
Amazon charges $25 for a movie. Best Buy sells the same movie for $25 but takes a $10 coupon. You buy it for $15 and Disney pays Best Buy another $10. They get the whole 25. If Amazon gives you the movie for 15, they're taking that $10 hit themselves. We have no idea what the profit margin is on these new releases. Disney is obviously selling each copy for more than $10 to the stores or they wouldn't be able to subsidize the $10 coupon. My guess is that the retail stores are making 12 or 13 dollars off each movie. So if Amazon gives you the movie for $15 then they pay for shipping, they lose money.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='typical guy']It's never been a good idea to pre-order Disney movies from Amazon. B&M stores have always had lower prices when the coupons are taken into consideration.[/QUOTE]

In previous instances (snow white, monsters inc, Up), Amazon has given me a courtesy credit for the amount of the coupon, which has resulted in a price that met or beat any local deals at launch.

Unfortunately I ran into a policy stickler CSR today :/

I suppose I should cancel my Toy Story pre-orders, since all I've got on them is the Amazon $10 discount for ordering both.

[quote name='typical guy']The problem is that the stores that take the coupons are getting reimbursed from Disney. If Amazon gives you $10 off then they lose money. Amazon charges $25 for a movie. Best Buy sells the same movie for $25 but takes a $10 coupon. You buy it for $15 and Disney pays Best Buy another $10. They get the whole 25. If Amazon gives you the movie for 15, they're taking that $10 hit themselves. We have no idea what the profit margin is on these new releases. Disney is obviously selling each copy for more than $10 to the stores or they wouldn't be able to subsidize the $10 coupon. My guess is that the retail stores are making 12 or 13 dollars off each movie. So if Amazon gives you the movie for $15 then they pay for shipping, they lose money.[/QUOTE]

I understand these things; thank you. Amazon loses money on me often. For example, yesterday I ordered a $5 roll of bubble wrap and had it shipped via 2-day air using my Prime trial.

On the other hand, they also make lots of money on me in the long run -- by earning my good will in matters like these, they've made it so I buy almost everything from them.

Not being a shareholder, whether they make or lose money on me is not really my concern.

[quote name='gkrykewy']In previous instances (snow white, monsters inc, Up), Amazon has given me a courtesy credit for the amount of the coupon, which has resulted in a price that met or beat any local deals at launch.

Unfortunately I ran into a policy stickler CSR today :/

I suppose I should cancel my Toy Story pre-orders, since all I've got on them is the Amazon $10 discount for ordering both.[/QUOTE]

Opps, I had just edited my post since I was saying basically the same thing as the guy above me.

You're lucky that they gave you the difference back then. I've read in the past that if you make too many of these types of requests (they keep them on record), they'll stop helping you like this (or worse).

What did you end up paying for Up and Monsters Inc? I'm just curious because some people got them so cheap that it's hard to imagine Amazon would match it.

You seem very concerned for Amazon's well being... which I suppose I admire, since I love them too.

[quote name='typical guy']Opps, I had just edited my post since I was saying basically the same thing as the guy above me.

You're lucky that they gave you the difference back then. I've read in the past that if you make too many of these types of requests (they keep them on record), they'll stop helping you like this (or worse).[/QUOTE]

Or worse? What could that possibly mean? I can reasonably assure you that this is not the case. I can't even count the number of times, just over the last year, that Amazon has taken care of me re: a promotional offer or price. Just looking back over my order history - it's fairly staggering. Although I do now have a losing streak of one, so we'll have to see how it goes from here out.

[quote name='typical guy']What did you end up paying for Up and Monsters Inc? I'm just curious because some people got them so cheap that it's hard to imagine Amazon would match it.[/QUOTE]

Astonishingly enough, I ended up paying a net of $16.83 for both Monsters Inc. and Up, so about $8.40 for each movie including shipping.

No go at my best buy. The cashier said i could get the $10 off 2 that they offered or use the $10 coupon. I explained the one discount was from disney and the other through best buy. He got his manager who agreed and said if the coupon scans then its fine. Unfortunately the $10 ponyo coupon could not be found in their system. The manager said they must not be a participating retailer and said he could not take the coupon. I wasn't too happy and ended up not buying the movies at all. Just wondering if its worth the hassle to save another 10 bucks.

[quote name='matyou']No go at my best buy. The cashier said i could get the $10 off 2 that they offered or use the $10 coupon. I explained the one discount was from disney and the other through best buy. He got his manager who agreed and said if the coupon scans then its fine. Unfortunately the $10 ponyo coupon could not be found in their system. The manager said they must not be a participating retailer and said he could not take the coupon. I wasn't too happy and ended up not buying the movies at all. Just wondering if its worth the hassle to save another 10 bucks.[/QUOTE]The Ponyo coupon, like all the other manufacturer coupons, won't scan directly in the system.

They have to go into a sub-menu on the register (F6 key on the keyboard, if I remember right), and there's a selection for "Manufacturer Coupon". It'll ask for the amount of the coupon, stick a SKU # for it in the transaction, with the amount of the coupon deducted from the total.

These coupons never scan in the system at BB. Ever. Walmart, Target, TRU, never an issue. They are a participating retailer, though the only coupons that scan directly at the register are Best Buy's internal coupons.

[quote name='gkrykewy']
Astonishingly enough, I ended up paying a net of $16.83 for both Monsters Inc. and Up, so about $8.40 for each movie including shipping.[/QUOTE]

That's a really good price to have paid for them at Amazon although it's still not quite as cheap as most people were getting at Target.

I don't plan on buying "old dogs" but my wife wants Princess and the Frog so I'll have to figure out the best deal on that one. I might try to get it free at TRU by reserving Toy Story 1 and 2 + $10 coupon. My concern there is that the Toy Story movies may be cheaper at other stores and I'm not sure what would happen if I canceled my pre-order. Any idea? Wait, couldn't I just price match the Toy Story movies at TRU and get whatever price anyway?

[quote name='shrike4242']The Ponyo coupon, like all the other manufacturer coupons, won't scan directly in the system.

They have to go into a sub-menu on the register (F6 key on the keyboard, if I remember right), and there's a selection for "Manufacturer Coupon". It'll ask for the amount of the coupon, stick a SKU # for it in the transaction, with the amount of the coupon deducted from the total.

These coupons never scan in the system at BB. Ever. Walmart, Target, TRU, never an issue. They are a participating retailer, though the only coupons that scan directly at the register are Best Buy's internal coupons.[/QUOTE]

My cashier had no idea how to do it, she got another cashier who then got the manager. The manager showed them how to enter the coupon. I had the site up on my phone and was about to throw it up in their faces if they tried to reject the coupon as fake. That didn't end up happening. I asked them what the deal was and they told me: "Some coupons have to be entered like a check but this one is a regular manufacturer coupon". Apparently Best Buy doesn't train it's employees properly. The manager pushed both coupons through then hit total and saw the price drop another $10. He looked at the screen for about 5 seconds then just left.

I'm a little confused - is there a coupon you need when doing this deal in-store (the 2 Ghibli movie deal). I know about the $10 off manufacturer's coupon, but I'm trying to figure out if I need a second coupon for the BB deal or if it rings up that way automatically.

[quote name='typical guy']My cashier had no idea how to do it, she got another cashier who then got the manager. The manager showed them how to enter the coupon. I had the site up on my phone and was about to throw it up in their faces if they tried to reject the coupon as fake. That didn't end up happening. I asked them what the deal was and they told me: "Some coupons have to be entered like a check but this one is a regular manufacturer coupon". Apparently Best Buy doesn't train it's employees properly. The manager pushed both coupons through then hit total and saw the price drop another $10. He looked at the screen for about 5 seconds then just left.[/QUOTE]I've never seen a coupon that needed to be entered in as a check. The reps need to get into that sub-menu to add in the SKU # for a manufacturer coupon to get it to work. They're all locked into scanning everything that if they have to go off the track to do something different, they get deer in the headlights syndrome.

When it comes to these coupons, I've been going to Target over BB, mainly because they have the same pricing on the same items, so it's so much easier to scan it and not worry about it. And now that they're PMing other stores, I could PM BB's price on the item and then use the coupon. I'll be doing this with Princess And The Frog in a couple of weeks, since I'm sure they'll have the same price on each.

[quote name='argyle']I'm a little confused - is there a coupon you need when doing this deal in-store (the 2 Ghibli movie deal). I know about the $10 off manufacturer's coupon, but I'm trying to figure out if I need a second coupon for the BB deal or if it rings up that way automatically.[/QUOTE]The 2 Ghibil movie deal is an automatically applied coupon, so it'll show up automatically. The $10 off for Ponyo is the manufacturer coupon for them that's such a PITA to get working.

[quote name='typical guy']That's a really good price to have paid for them at Amazon although it's still not quite as cheap as most people were getting at Target.[/QUOTE]

Really, people were pulling less than 8 bucks a movie? That's amazing. If it's in the ballpark, I always prefer amazon since the gas/convenience factor is larger for me than average (we live in a city and don't own a car, so getting to a big box retailer is often way more hassle than it's worth).

[quote name='typical guy']That's a really good price to have paid for them at Amazon although it's still not quite as cheap as most people were getting at Target.[/QUOTE]

Really, people were pulling less than 8 bucks a movie? That's amazing. If it's in the ballpark, I always prefer amazon since the gas/convenience factor is larger for me than average (we live downtown and don't own a car, so getting to a big box retailer is often way more hassle than it's worth).

The way it worked for me today was the lady entered the discount from the manufacturer's coupon manually after ringing up Ponyo and Howl's Moving Castle.

[quote name='arcane93']Given that it's Disney releasing them, they'll more than likely come out one at a time over the course of the next ten years.[/QUOTE]

Disney has historically handled Ghibli releases differently, releasing them together in big batches (like they just re-released a bunch of the DVDs with new branding to coincide with the Ponyo release).

Plan to pick up at least Totoro and Castle in the Sky. Not sure about Ponyo -- sort of interested, but not terribly so -- may want to pick up Kiki as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh, I can't believe I just found out about the $10 off manufacturer coupon today. I would have totally freaking used it.

[quote name='SDC']Ugh, I can't believe I just found out about the $10 off manufacturer coupon today. I would have totally freaking used it.[/QUOTE]

Return and use?

bread's done
Back