Buy Rite got owned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitalSpace

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Link

As of April 26, 2005 the North Carolina Attorney General's Office reports that Buy-Rite Video is out of business.

Justice is served.

buyritegrave2hl.jpg

So long Buy Rite, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Ive bought from them before, no real probelms, in fact they called me once to verify an order. I just dont understand the hate i guess. The did have a decent selection

I Would not think that they would have had that many returning customers. I ordered from there once and that was all it took.

[quote name='maxflight']they can easily start up a new company with a different name and everyone would try to order from them at least once again.[/QUOTE]
That would be fine with me. They might even change their ways, but I doubt it.

[quote name='maxflight']they can easily start up a new company with a different name and everyone would try to order from them at least once again.[/QUOTE]
Probably not, if they're bankrupt, which is what I'm guessing.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Probably not, if they're bankrupt, which is what I'm guessing.[/QUOTE]

im sure there would be a stupid bank willing to loan them millions to open up a new store

[quote name='slidecage']im sure there would be a stupid bank willing to loan them millions to open up a new store[/QUOTE]
I suppose...but you'd think that, when looking for a loan, the banks might take a look at their history. Oh, well.

I just don't think it's likely. But, stranger things have happened.

[quote name='bezelbubba']Ive bought from them before, no real probelms, in fact they called me once to verify an order. I just dont understand the hate i guess. The did have a decent selection[/QUOTE]

Same here, now this was a long time ago back in the N64 days but still. I never had a problem back then. Oh well.

[quote name='bezelbubba']Ive bought from them before, no real probelms, in fact they called me once to verify an order. I just dont understand the hate i guess. The did have a decent selection[/QUOTE]

I ordered maybe 3 times... import game systems, etc... never a problem.

I have never ordered from their website, though I did send in an email question once [that never got answered]. I have bought from their B&M store on Capital Blvd a couple of times--I used to live in Mini City [about 5 minutes away from BuyRite] and they were the most convenient 'game store'. I never had a problem with anything I bought live--but then, I see instantly what I'm getting and can pitch a fit right in the store if need be [which was never needed].
I think their online component is what did them in. I don't know of too many 'fraud' cases at the B&M--even the 'PS2 bundle package' on the PS2 release wasn't 'fraud', it was just bundling and paying a premium, nothing inherently illegal/wrong about that, afaik. But they either couldn't or didn't want to treat their online business as a business. And their website, last I recall, was pretty friggin' ugly.

[quote name='ECW_fan']I Would not think that they would have had that many returning customers. I ordered from there once and that was all it took.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I got hit with a $14 dollar shipping charge for a $5 product and they wouldnt reverse it even though the pack cost $3 to send.

[quote name='danny-o']Same here. I got hit with a $14 dollar shipping charge for a $5 product and they wouldnt reverse it even though the pack cost $3 to send.[/QUOTE]

What was the size of the $5 product? If it was a Mario paper weight or something it might have been expensive to ship?

"if you're not buying from buyrite you're DEFINITELY not buying right"

man I got so tired of hearing that since I had to call them 978973472 times

Actually I was at the store on Capital yesterday. Its still open it just isn't under the name BuyRite anymore.

[quote name='Dapp7']Actually I was at the store on Capital yesterday. Its still open it just isn't under the name BuyRite anymore.[/QUOTE]Sounds like we need you to do some investigative journalism.

I noticed that their B&M store that they opened recently in Wake Forest had shut down a while ago, but I didn't bother to investigate why. I live just a few minutes away from where it was and just a short drive away from the Capital Blvd location near Mini City, but some past experiences i've had with them just caused me to shrug and laugh it off.

Regardless, they deserved it. It was only a matter of time after screwing people for so long that they'd finally have it come back to bite em in the face.

However, the few times that I did go into one of their stores, I was always helped and never jerked around, so I guess I'm in the minority of Buy-Rite shoppers. All the horror stories still kept me away unless I was really desperate though.

[quote name='Dapp7']Actually I was at the store on Capital yesterday. Its still open it just isn't under the name BuyRite anymore.[/QUOTE]
What's the new place called?

Look at this comment to an Epinion review of BuyRite. Guess that's why they give such lousy online service.

"It's funny that you say it is run out of a a garage. I live in Raleigh, NC, where Buy-Rite is located. It is a dinky little place with a back room where stuff is just thrown around everywhere. I worked there for a week and quit, it was so bad. And don't feel bad that they messed up your order...all they do all day is field complaints from unsatisfied customers. It's a lousy place! Loved your review! I hope your son eventually got what he was looking for."

It's always nice to see a bad retail store put out of business. Of course, I can imagine that working retail, dealing with irate customers every day, etc. would eventually burn out or corrupt even the best people over time. Maybe BuyRite began operations with the best of intentions, but the organization soon turned to the dark side. Good riddance.

Guy was telling me the new name, but i wasn't paying attention. I was just in awe at alll the 15 dollar Xbox games (including NBA Live2004) that sell elsewhere at dirt cheap prices.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']What's the new place called?[/QUOTE]

I will probably hit Ed McKay within the next few days, and I will tell you if they have a sign up (I ain't going in though)

It is a miracle they have stayed in business as long as they have, because NO ONE goes in there. I have yet to see more than 3 cars around the place that were not employees

Im Glad they are out, but on the good side, they gave me House of the dead, bomberman, and a free pistol gun, all for the saturn, they never billed me, lol

They deserve it.

I've ordered twice from there, was never charged but they told me the item would ship soon. Never got the items. Called customer service and e-mailed them, no gold.

I've heard bad stories from other people as well.

Bout time.

I ordered a Halo 2 Xbox system & as well as a few rare saturn games.. from them last fall...

2 months no e-mail, no return phone calls, so I card my credit card company and got my money back....

This place stinked bad... That was last time I'll order from them, but I did have 1 good transaction a year back... but they changed...

This is fantastic, finally no more victams of thier poor sales and customer service.

I don't truly wish ill will on anyone - except for those jerks.

Wow! I've never had any problems with them when I ordered, but that was back in 2001-2002. I guess their service went downhill through the years! Count this as a win for the consumer!

I think the owner just bit off more than he can chew. Seems the online entity was a rather good site and he made very poor decisions on how to run it. At VGD it took me a few years of slow growth to start doing 100 orders a day and not feel like it was too much for my staff. We were very organized and rarely had problems. Buyrite seemed disorganized and to boot the owner was a greedy dick who jerked people around instead of making his mistakes right. Sometimes customers are ripping you off but sometimes you have to investigate to make sure of this before just telling a customer to F off. We did a fair amount of refunds for customer that we knew were in the right. I don't think buyrite ever did that. They seem to be fine with the chargeback and making customer get all pissy. It's sad too because his site wasn't that bad imho.

Can't say I am unhappy at all to see them gone. I am suprised it took this long though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back