Buyer Beware: Fall 2005

Scorch

CAGiversary!
Feedback
72 (100%)
So this is something new that I am going to try..

With all the random sales and whatnot going on (specifcally TRU's 2for1), I figure we can talk about games that were recently released and why you should or shouldn't get them.. each game should have at least one positive and negative point. Let's say that this thread be reserved for all titles released between August 1st to December 31st.. i'll start with a few..

Burnout: Revenge (XBox/PS2)

Why you should get it: It's the equivalent of video game crack. By yourself or online, whether you're an arcade racer fan or not, you will LOVE this game.

Why you shouldn't get it: It will eat your life. Besides being hooked on this game, it will literally kill you to every other racing game. You won't care about PGR3, GT4, LA Rush.. anything. Every time you play a racing game, you will want to play Burnout: Revenge.

Personal opinion: Get it.

Indigo Prophecy (XBox/PS2)

Why you should get it: If you love a great single player experience, Indigo Prophecy is the way to go. With an amazing story (with a hokey ending) and amazing voice casting, Indigo Prophecy is something to be experienced.

Why you shouldn't get it: It's almost literally a movie through a story. If you have some sort of attention disorder or can't stand slower paced games, this game is NOT for you. You don't really control any of the action (which was actually something I loved about it). Everything is done with the joysticks and triggers. "Fighting" in this game consists of moving the joysticks in whatever direction the on-screen indicator shows.

Personal opinion: If you want a great single player experience.. get it.

Far Cry: Instincts (XBox)

Why you should get it: While it seems kind of futile to suggest picking up an FPS game on the XBox, this is one to own. This game is definately in the top 5 of my favorite XBox games. With a great single player story and an amazing multiplayer experience, and a great price point ($29.99 as of right now), you can NOT miss this.

Why you shouldn't get it: If you hate shooters, pass.

Personal opinion: Get it and let me kick the crap out of you on XBox Live.

Sims 2 (XB/PS2/GC)

Why you should get it: Chicks love it. Is that reason enough? No? Well, Sims is an amazing experience. You either love it or you hate it. In case you've been living under a rock for the past.. what, six or seven years.. Sims lets you take control of a person in a fantasy town and live out their life.

Why you shouldn't get it: Sims 2 was great.. on PC. For the console versions, EA has opted to remove the aging, pregnancy and death features, which takes away a vital part of the game.

Personal opinion: If you want Sims, get the PC version of Sims 2. Avoid the console version.

Battlefield 2 (XB/PS2)

Why you should get it: Offers a great multiplayer experience. I can't comment on the single player experience, I only played it for a tiny bit, but it seemed bland and generic.

Why you shouldn't get it: EA servers constantly down, the focus shifted to the single player campaign on the consoles, and you can't control any online servers.. meaning if you have an annoying team killer, someone using racial slurs.. whatever, you can't kick them. You can't change the map. You have absolutely no control over the servers.

Personal opinion: Avoid. Take that $50 and buy Far Cry: Instincts and World Poker Tour.

Anyone wanna talk about some recent PS2/PC/GC games and whether or not you'd recommend them?

Radiata Stories (PS2)

Why You Should Get It: Solid RPG that has good graphics and art design. Some actualy laugh out loud humor, good characters, and a branching story for replay. 177 characters to recruit.

Why You Shouldn't Get It: Main quest is a little short (~25 hours) and a lot of the sidequests are recruiting chars. Pretty standard fare for a RPG, better than average.

Personal Opinion: RPG fans should definately pick it up. Casual RPG fans could probably stay away and not miss much.

Good Thread.... let me try a couple

Ratchet: Deadlocked (PS2)

Why you should get it: Core gameplay is just like the original Ratchet games, although with less platforming aspects and a lot more emphasis on action and fighting. Great online aspects (From what I heard)

Why you shouldn't get it: If you are more of a platforming fan than a shooter fan, you probably won't enjoy this as much as the previous games in the series

Personal Opinion: Get it if you're a fan of the series, you won't be disappointed. If you're more of a pure platforming fan, rent it first

Soul Calibur 3 (PS2)

Why you should get it: Great fighting engine, lots of unlockables, will provide you with plenty of replay value, especially if you have friends to fight with.

Why you shouldn't get it: People have complained that the AI is subpar and cheap in some cases, especially the final boss.

Personal Opinion: Get it if you're a fan of the series or fighting games in general

If you haven't played sc3 don't talk shit about the people who complain.

If you are a fan of the series stay with SC2, this one is a step in the wrong direction. The AI isn't always cheap but randomly it will just combo you on the ground and give you no chance to block, and you lose the chance to unlock characters that time through.

The Chronicles mode is good but the amount of parts available at first is incredibly limited, forcing you to put a lot of work in before having a lot of options. I'm all for putting work in but when there is only 4 types of gloves available at the beginning its a little stifled.

Stubbs The Zombie (Xbox)

Why you should get: It's a zombie game that uses the original Halo engine. It's fun while it lasts and also supports two-player co-op play.

Why you shouldn't get it: You can play through the complete game within 5 hours. There is no versus multiplayer. Stubbs "skills" are underused until later in the game.

Personal opinion: I had a lot of fun with it but was highly disappointed that it ended so quickly. I'd only recommend picking this one up when it hits $20 and even then, don't even bother playing on "normal" difficulty setting, bump it straight up to "legendary" (or whatever they changed the name to in this game).

Stubbs The Zombie (Xbox)

Why you should get: It's a zombie game that uses the original Halo engine. It's fun while it lasts and also supports two-player co-op play.

Why you shouldn't get it: You can play through the complete game within 5 hours. There is no versus multiplayer. Stubbs "skills" are underused until later in the game.

Personal opinion: I had a lot of fun with it but was highly disappointed that it ended so quickly. I'd only recommend picking this one up when it hits $20 and even then, don't even bother playing on "normal" difficulty setting, bump it straight up to "legendary" (or whatever they changed the name to in this game).

[quote name='hohez']If you haven't played sc3 don't talk shit about the people who complain.

If you are a fan of the series stay with SC2, this one is a step in the wrong direction. The AI isn't always cheap but randomly it will just combo you on the ground and give you no chance to block, and you lose the chance to unlock characters that time through.

The Chronicles mode is good but the amount of parts available at first is incredibly limited, forcing you to put a lot of work in before having a lot of options. I'm all for putting work in but when there is only 4 types of gloves available at the beginning its a little stifled.[/QUOTE]

I have played it, and the AI is better and doesn't allow you to beat up on it. Learn to be a better player and maybe you won't whine anymore.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS)
Why you should get it: You're a lawyer! It's a text-based game but with lots of personality and heart. You can save at any time, making it perfect for short spurts.

Why you shouldn't get it: If you don't like slow-paced, point-and-click, or text-based games, this game is not for you unless you really like the lawyer aspect of the game.

Personal Opinion: I love this game, but if you don't like slow-paced games and are an action fan, you won't like it. Otherwise it's a must-buy.

Far Cry: Instincts

Why you should get it: Incredible single-player; multi-player is a blast; surprisingly complex map editor.

Why you shouldn't get it: If you're an idiot and/or have terrible taste in video games and other entertainment mediums.

Shadow of the Colossus

Why you should get it: It's an experience unilike any other that you can find right now. It's beautiful, each colossus is unique and requires differing strategies, and there's a huge, open world to explore when you're not ready to take down a colossus.

Why you shouldn't get it: Can be short if you rush to each colossus and don't explore.

Note: If you wanted to like the demo and didn't because of framerate, control, and camera issues, give it a rent, as there's been a lot of things fixed since the demo.
-------------------------------
Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi

Why you should get it: If you love DBZ, you don't need a reason, just get it. Otherwise, Spike's done a lot to change Budokai 3 from what Dimps left for them. With a new point of view, big arenas, revamped gameplay, new story mode, more characters from Z, GTm and even DB.

Why you shouldn't get it: If you don't like anime or DBZ, you can move on. If you're comparing it to stuff like VF, SC, Tekken and other more serious and deep series, you can move on. Give it a rent if you're still unsure.

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow

Why you should get it: You mean for the fact that it is Castlevania? Amazing gameplay, music and atmosphere are all present here. Once you start, you must finish it (I love a game like this, because it effectively draws you into beating it).

Why you shouldn't get it: It can be short if you rush; It's another Symphony of the Night-style Castlevania, so if that's not your thing, this won't change your mind. Almost up to the quality of SotN, but still isn't there yet.

Personal Opinion: If you want a good action/RPG like game for your DS, this is the one you have been looking for.

Tony Hawk's American Wasteland

Why you SHOULD get it:

That fun and addictive THPS gameplay is still intact. The level design has improved over last year's game. The soundtrack is just as killer as previous games in the series. Some new tricks added to the roster improves gameplay a bit (like the bert slide). Classic mode is improved over last year's, even though it's a bit shorter.

Why you SHOULDN'T get it:

The same old THPS gameplay may already have gotten stale to most gamers three titles ago. The texture work seems worse than the previous games. No scaling options in create a skater for Story mode. The story mode is pretty damn short too. Modern ad placements also take away from the 80's punk atmosphere.

Strictly for big THPS fans only.

I think these are kinda hard to make, but here's a few from me.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (DS)
Why you should get it: One of the best DS games to date. It's a Capcom game so it already deserves a play. It's unique, funny, semi-lengthy, and will keep you immersed as you watch the cases unfold. Plus it's only $30!

Why you shouldn't get it: If you don't like to do a lot of reading, or want a lot of touch screen interaction, this game isn't for you. The first four cases don't need the touch screen to be used.

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (DS)
Why you should get it: I have never liked a Castlevania game. Ever. However, something about this game just has me coming back. I love to upgrade the weapons, use monster souls, the graphics are wonderful, and (as most people would probably say) it's Castlevania! It's also got some length to it.

Why you shouldn't get it: I don't see a reason not to. The only thing I didn't like about it was the anime style character art.

I tried to make ones for RE4 (PS2) and The Warriors (Xbox) but they didn't come out so great. Just buy them. ;)

I like this however should it be called buyer beware. buyer beware suggests that you should stay away at all costs. But this is showing a neutral perspective on these games.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

Why you should get it: unique choose-you-own adventure style lawyering and save-anytime ability. Amusing anime style. Funny and quirky.

Why you shouldn't get it: Court battles aren't exactly realistic, they are kind of farcicial/comical. And sometimes it shows its linearity. Or if you are one of those weirdos that hate anime style or hates reading...

Personal opinion: a must buy @ $20 or so if you like unique games.

---------------------------------------------------------

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow

Why you should get it: One awesome 2D Metroidvania. Random soul abilities mkes the game different for different people/playthroughs.

Why you shouldn't get it: Same sort of gameplay as all the other post-SoTN Castlevanias. Or if you are one of those pokemon "gotta-catch-em all" mentality people, you could be grinding for souls for hours.

Personal Opinion: Better than SoTN or the previous GBA Castlevanias. A must buy if you like Castelvania at all...I got bored with Circle of the Moon, but played this obsessively to the 1st ending.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Civilization 4

Why you should get it: If you like Civ, this is perhaps the best Civ yet, I think. Just go buy it. Turn-based strategy at it absolute best. Less annoying micromanagement, but you can micromanage if you want to. Better combat system and units with an RPGlike battle system. More options like culture wars.

Why you shouldn't get it: It will destroy your life if you like TBS. One more turn syndrome. I installed it last night at about 3am, played for 8 hours straight last night, until 11:30am (3rd shifter). Got 6 hours of sleep and had to come back to work, didn't get to see my wife. Lastly, some people are having some nasty bugs with the game - especially Nvida FX card owners, but a couple of ATI folks are having problems too.

Personal Opinion: Game of the Year IMO after 8 hours of play, but more long term analysis needs to be done (including the modern era which took forever in Civ 2).

Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories

Why you should get it: This is GTA done right on a handheld, for once. Amazing graphics and the city is still as you remembered it in GTA 3 (with some minor changes made to it). The control is decent once you get the hang of it, and the loading times are very very short (comparable to GTA on the ps2). Plus finally being able to use motorcycles in Liberty City is a definite plus, and the new minigames are pretty fun. This game is so chock full of amazing it is hard to write much more about it.

Why you shouldn't get it: So far, Tony Ciprani is a very one dimensional character, and so far the story isn't as great as any of the other games (I have only done 5 missions though, this could easily change). Some people may scream port, since it IS Liberty City again (I don't mind, as LC was easily my favorite setting). Some features from San Andreas are omitted - namely swimming, and being able to jump small objects and climb onto others.

My personal opinion: I love the game. It's got it's small faults, but this game will easily suck you in, and really showcases what the PSP can do.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

X-Men Legends 2 (PSP)

Why you should get it: If you are a fan of X-Men Legends, or hack and slash games, getting XML 2 is a no brainer. It features EVERYTHING it's console counterparts do: full speech, CG cutscenes, all the leves are intact, nothing was spared in this port. Barely any slowdown, controls are excellent, graphics are decent as well. The real reason to buy it though? The *four* exclusive characters and the *nine* exclusive comic book missions, which really add a ton of depth to the game. Don't forget there is also online play.

Why you shouldn't get it: Load times can sometimes be a bother. About 30 second loads for each area, as well as a small load to check your status screen. It's nothing game breaking, but I would be lying if I said it wouldn't bother you once or twice. Controls have a big learning curve (but like I said, are excellent once you get used to them).

My personal opinion: If you haven't already played XML 2, and own a PSP, this is the system to get it on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soul Calibur 3

Why you should get it: Awesome fighting game, great new characters (and the changes to the old ones are awesome as well), tons of varied and new modes, amazing graphics and tons of unlockables combine to create an awesome fighter.

Why you shouldn't get it: The AI takes no prisoners, hence the complaints. Also, some may not like the new modes offered in the game.

My personal opinion: Worth every penny.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First Encounter Assault Recon (F.E.A.R.)

Why you should get it: Probably the most intense single player shooter out there. The firefights are all top notch because the AI is definately the best AI in any shooter on the market. Not only that, but the destruction caused by the gunfights is great (similar to the lobby scene in the matrix). Graphics and sound are also really really good.

why you shouldn't get it: online is only serviceable, mainly because there are not many maps for the online portion of the game. Its pretty evident that they are probably going to address this in a patch though since they did include the modes (CTF only seems to have two maps, which is my biggest gripe since it is the most fun MP mode IMO). Another thing people have pointed out is the game is pretty slow in the beginning and does not pick up until the third interval (it really picks up with the fourth on). The game is also pretty short, as it only took me 10 or so hours to beat it.

my personal opinion: best single player shooter of the year, and IMO so far is the GOTY (right ahead of battlefield 2 by a small margin).

The Warriors (PS2)

The Good - Original cast of actors are voices for the cast in the game. The gameplay is solid and very easy to learn like every other rockstar game(i think). The Storyline is exactly from the movie and tells more about the warriors what could not be told in the movie. The graphics are are solid for what it is. Everything is smooth but there is a bit slow down at times but nothing to hamper the play. there are also tons of things to unlock such as gangs and people from other teams, stages, and modes. the story mode always keeps you on your feet as it gets intense just like the movie.

The bad - fighting can get monotonous some times. the lack of an online mode would have been cool for the fact that you can create your own gang. it would have been nice to see online gang "bopping" between players. The missions are also repititive at times,

Personal Opinion - This is a must and a big must for any fan of the movie. if you havent watched the movie then the game is a normal rockstar game. i reccomend atleast renting it first then buy if you like.

Beatdown Fists of vengeance (PS2/XBOX)

the good - long list of unlockables to give it replay value. vast array of characters give endless amounts choices to choose from to fight with you.

The bad- as you can see there wasnt that many good things about this. infact this has to be one of the poorest games from capcom to be released to date. This and urban reign should have been put together. The fighting is bland, the storyline is down right awful, the gameplay is just not fun. the only thing this game really it going for them is that you dress the girl main characters scantitily.

personal opinion- avoid at all costs. if you like beat em ups play The Warriors.

[quote name='integralsmatic']The Warriors (PS2)

The Good - Original cast of actors are voices for the cast in the game. The gameplay is solid and very easy to learn like every other rockstar game(i think). The Storyline is exactly from the movie and tells more about the warriors what could not be told in the movie. The graphics are are solid for what it is. Everything is smooth but there is a bit slow down at times but nothing to hamper the play. there are also tons of things to unlock such as gangs and people from other teams, stages, and modes. the story mode always keeps you on your feet as it gets intense just like the movie.

The bad - fighting can get monotonous some times. the lack of an online mode would have been cool for the fact that you can create your own gang. it would have been nice to see online gang "bopping" between players. The missions are also repititive at times,

Personal Opinion - This is a must and a big must for any fan of the movie. if you havent watched the movie then the game is a normal rockstar game. i reccomend atleast renting it first then buy if you like. [/QUOTE]

Before I throw my review up, I wanted to say that:
Good:The Warriors has some neat little innovative features: When you spray a tag up you have to follow a path with the joystick. When mugging people you have to move the joystick in all directions to find the point/angle that triggers a vibration. The vibration is like resisting the victim's struggle to break free. Rockstar mixed elements from Manhunt and Grand Theft Auto to create this fun game.
Bad: It glitched/froze on 3 times. Once right at the end of the last mission. -_-
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SOCOM 3: U.S. Navy SEALs (PS2)

Why you should get it: The third installment in the SOCOM series has been beefed up. The maps are 5 times bigger. Vehicles like tanks, humvees, jeeps, and even an Assault boat were added. Weapon customization (900 or something) lets you work out the right set up for you. The AI is improved too. Your fireteam can operate on their own without your commands if you want. Voice recognition is better. There's a checkpoint system, too. That should relieve some frustration.
They even improved it's online features. Up to 32 players can compete with eachother in two teams of 16. New game modes like Convoy and Control.

Why you shouldn't get it: The graphics for the characters and vehicles are well done, as are the effects, but the environments unfortunately show signs of the PS2's limits. The A.I. is improved, but not perfect. But which game can really claim to have perfect A.I.? LoL

Personal Opinion: It's arguably the best PS2 Online game out. The SOCOM community is massive. Even it's single player campaign mode is well worth your while.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 (XB)

Why you should get it: It's Battlefield with Star Wars characters! How can they go wrong? The first one was a hit, the sequel should improve on everything. More levels, more vehicles (and the ability to fly in space), and you can even be jedi!

Why you shouldn't get it: But all that's for nothing when the game just isn't that fun. The loading screens are bland and boring whereas the first's zoomed in on the level. Gone is the prone position, no sniping for you. Returning is the bug in XBox Live where you can't hear people sometimes. The flying is a complete gimmick to sell the game, it's not that fun and you'll often be killed by something that you didn't see. While it was cool to see Luke Skywalker in the game, him killing everyone in one swing was not. There's so much going on on-screen that you really have no idea what's going on. On the Death Star level, there's even enemies that can go invisible and kill you while you're just kinda like WTF?

Personal Opinion: Well, I'd love to say that this game rules more than the first.. but I can't. With the removal of the prone position, a crappy layout, bugs still on XBox Live.. with Burnout Revenge, Far Cry: Instincts, X-Men Legends 2, and for some of you, Battlefield 2: Modern Combat (even though you can't create servers), this one's just not worth it. You would be better off picking up the first Battlefront.

Guitar Hero (PS2)
Why you should get it: If you've ever, for even a moment, wanted to be a Rock God in your life, this is the game for you. Fans of rythm games will love it, too. Also comes with a sweet guitar controller, which feels surprisingly sturdy and awesome.

Why you shouldn't get it: If you have no interest in rythm/music games whatsoever and/or hate that damn rock music kids listen to these days.

Personal Opinion: I surprisingly love this game, and I'm not a very big fan of rythm games. Guitar Hero manages to answer that need to rock out my sould yearns for whenever I hear any of the fantastic songs being played. The difficulty is very balanced and easy to get into, but tough to master on harder difficulties. If you're at all interested, definitely check it out.

Nice thread. Can't believe I hadn't seen this before...

Far Cry Instincts (Xbox)

Why you should get it: Combines standard first-person shooter elements with a new, pretty cool element: traps. It's fun to set traps for your enemies. Even the smartest player will not be careful and fall into one of your traps sometimes. Excellent graphics and audio presentation. Lots of customization features and terrific Xbox Live gameplay. Excellent in both single-player and multiplayer modes.

Why you should NOT get it: A lot of people are tired of first-person shooters and are not likely to play this online because that seems to be all that is played on Xbox Live. How many times do you hear, "I'm so sick of everyone just playing Halo 2 and first-person shooters on XBL!" A lot, I'm guessing. Also, $50 might be a bit too much for a game like this.

Personal opinion:
I definitely recommend picking up this game. It should still be on sale for $30 or less at Best Buy and EB Games. It's worth it just to have something new to play with your friends on XBL.

[quote name='Scorch']

Burnout: Revenge (XBox/PS2)

Why you shouldn't get it: It will eat your life. Besides being hooked on this game, it will literally kill you to every other racing game. You won't care about PGR3, GT4, LA Rush.. anything. Every time you play a racing game, you will want to play Burnout: Revenge.
[/QUOTE]

This is exactly how I feel (but burnout 3 might have initially turned me to the dark side); After playing burnout, I can't even take another racing game seriously.

Graffiti Kingdom (PS2)

Why you should: Highly customizable characters. If you've ever wanted to create a character and put it in a platform game, this is it.

Why you shouldn't: This is certainly a game for artists and not just for someone who wants to play the game. The platforming parts are slightly boring, story is bland.

Personal Opinion: It's a quirky game; a sequal to Magic Pengel. Pick it up if you have a nack for drawing, or if you'd just like to mess around with the editor and see how they would end up. Other than that, not worth $30

Fable: The Lost Chapters

Pros: Fun, Action oriented RPG, with a heavier focus on the Action. The same as the old Fable but cheaper and with NEW HATS!!! The player customization is fun, but NPC interaction can be useless. Still if you like game with a fantasy setting and Morrowind was too confusing for you, then buy it today.

Cons: Hard to find in most stores at the momment, Long load times.

Romancing Saga (PS2)

Pros: Superb graphics, art direction. Fast, turn-based battles and no random encounters. Deep skill and weapon systems. "Choose your Own Adventure" style gameplay. Light-hearted and simple stories (eight different characters to choose).

Cons: Difficult without a FAQ or Walkthrough (due to sometimes random activation of even sequences), somewhat random levelling up (skills and characters). No deep and engaging story line. Steep learning curve.

Personal thoughts: A truly different and enjoyable traditional RPG. Get it but grab the guide off Amazon.com for 10 dollars, I know I'm going to.

bread's done
Back