Buyer claimed the sealed game he received contains no game inside.

SOSTrooper

CAGiversary!
Feedback
29 (100%)
So I sold a sealed Metroid Zero Mission to a guy on eBay (link). He received the game and left a positive feedback. That was about 3 weeks ago. Now he messaged me saying when he opened the wrapper, there is no game inside, and demands money back. Here are the 2 messages he sent:

Message 1:
I bought the GBA advance game in the auction 140010988411. I opened the box today and there was no game in the box. There was no game in the box even though the box was sealed. Is there anything you can do to make this situation right?

Message 2:
I am e-mailing again to pose the question I asked over the weekend. I opened up Metroid Zero Mission and discovered that there was no game in the box. I would like you to send me a copy of the game.. or refund my fees in total. Please respond soon. I'd rather not report this to ebay if we can clear it up between us. Otherwise, I will do so later this week.

Based on what I read around here, it seems like if he files thru Paypal, he'll win and Paypal will take money from me. Any tips on handling this?

Eat the loss or withdraw all your PayPal/spend all your PayPal funds now and disconnect your Credit card and bank account from them and never use Paypal again? I'm not sure

Shit like this happens sometimes... someone could have bought the game originally, taken the game out, resealed the package and returned it. Kinda weird how it took him three weeks to open the game, but shit happens sometimes. Nothing you can do, really.

Weird FB comment... "Thanks. Game works great."

It's hard to prove who is in the right, in this situation.

[quote name='AshesofWake']what a dumbass, he left you feedback, then THREE WEEKS LATER he bitches about there being no game, his loss. not yours.[/QUOTE]

That dosen't matter, unfortunately, as he can and will go to Ebay + Paypal over this and it will be a long drawn out situation, at which time Paypal will probably freeze the OP's account until the matter is solved.

His feedback is sketchy (it sounds like he already played the game), but to Ebay and Paypal, feedback dosen't mean shit.

You have a great feedback score. I don't think it's worth the hassel to drag this through. It looks like he's been on Ebay for a while and never had any problems. He could be telling the truth. Just refund his $10.99 and move on. The $$ are just not worth it.

This is one thing that scares me about selling sealed games. I always state as is, no warranty and all that stuff but I doubt it will help much.

I remember reading something about this on CAG awhile ago. I think they contacted the company and explained there situation and they got the game for free. I think it was Project Snowblind that was missing. I guess you could try that.

I got my only negative feedback on ebay for the same reason, at least your buyer tried to contact you about a missing game before leaving it. I don't think there is much you can do, I mean it's a one in a million chance that the game was factory sealed without the game inside, but there's still a chance he's telling the truth. Tell him he should have opened it within the first week of getting it, as most people do with new merchandise, you can't be expected to cover it forever. If you offer a refund, make him return everything first. Even if he does send you the box back there isn't much you can do with it, since I don't know what store is going to let you return something you bought a month ago because "there's no game in it." Good luck.

[quote name='Roufuss']Shit like this happens sometimes... someone could have bought the game originally, taken the game out, resealed the package and returned it. [/QUOTE]

I would say this is likely the case. Looking at the pictures in the auction, it appears to be resealed.

[quote name='Jack']I would say this is likely the case. Looking at the pictures in the auction, it appears to be resealed.[/quote]
Really? That's how all my sealed GBA look. Can you post some pictures of the official way or what not?

Despite what you want to do (someone said it was $11.00, so it's probably not worth worrying about too much). But if you used Delivery Confirmation, if the buyer files a claim with Paypal, you will win.

The only thing Paypal asks for is proof of delivery. You give them the DC number and Paypal looks it up online and rules in your favor. They do not get involved in quality of merchandise disputes.

[quote name='Haggar']Despite what you want to do (someone said it was $11.00, so it's probably not worth worrying about too much). But if you used Delivery Confirmation, if the buyer files a claim with Paypal, you will win.

The only thing Paypal asks for is proof of delivery. You give them the DC number and Paypal looks it up online and rules in your favor. They do not get involved in quality of merchandise disputes.[/quote]

Wrong he wont file a INR (Item Not Recieved) claim he will file a SNAD (Significantly Not As Described) claim and paypal will get involved and rule in favor of the buyer.

i would not give this clown any money whatsoever. the deal was complete and feedback was left. do you have a delivery confirmation that you sent it?

if it means emptying your paypal and never using it again, then so be it.

[quote name='Yusuke-Urameshi-']Really? That's how all my sealed GBA look. Can you post some pictures of the official way or what not?[/QUOTE]

Sure. Here is a picture of a factory sealed Metroid Zero Mission:

There should be a horizontal seam going across the back of the box. There should not be a seam going across the bottom. Some games are sealed differently (Kingdom Hearts CoM comes to mind), but this is the most common way.

[quote name='Jack']Sure. Here is a picture of a factory sealed Metroid Zero Mission:

There should be a horizontal seam going across the back of the box. There should not be a seam going across the bottom. Some games are sealed differently (Kingdom Hearts CoM comes to mind), but this is the most common way.[/quote]
Thanks. As that the only big difference, the seam on the back?

Rip-off. After three weeks he decides to open the game then proclaim there is no game in the package. The only way you could determine this is by showing a X-ray scan of the game. He ripped you off.

Also what kinda person buys a sealed game and the box is mashed in at the top around the edges. My guess is that he saw the price knew there is a 50/50 chance of there being no game. Brought the game and played it. Then decided to take back his money using "There is no game inside the package" speech.

When you buy stuff sealed over the internet you are not sappose to open them unless you have a X-ray scanner of some sort. Then you have to consider how heavy the package was to begin with.

I have delivery confirmation since I printed the label off Paypal, but I assume that won't help me much. I'll try to get him to call Nintendo to see what will happen. He didn't pay for insurance btw.

[quote name='Haggar']Despite what you want to do (someone said it was $11.00, so it's probably not worth worrying about too much). But if you used Delivery Confirmation, if the buyer files a claim with Paypal, you will win.

The only thing Paypal asks for is proof of delivery. You give them the DC number and Paypal looks it up online and rules in your favor. They do not get involved in quality of merchandise disputes.[/quote]

As already stated a few posts above you are completely wrong. The buyer can file a claim stating the item was received but not in the condition as described and paypal will most likely favor the buyer and the seller will be SOL and the kicker is that there is no way of making the buyer return the item they have in thier hands. Its personally happened to me 2 times over the past few years and 1 item I sent was shipped via UPS with a tracking number and signature and I still lost.

Well, there's good news and bad news.

The bad news is that the game was a reseal. I'm not sure if that means there was no game inside, but the game is definately resealed. I'm sitting here looking at 4 zero missions, and they all have horzontial seams on the back, as well as seams on the two sides, not the top or bottom. Where did you get the game? I've actually seen similar reseal jobs done at Toys R Us - I noticed some Gradius V with bad shrinkwrap and they said they resealed them because the person only returned them because their ps2 couldnt read blue discs.

The good news is that you are in pretty good shape if you printed out your label via paypal. You have lots of pictures which are clear. I'm weighing a zero mission, which is 2.8 ounces, so if you inputted the weight with paypal it might make a difference.

Personally, I'd have him return the stuff and refund his money, and check your items more carefully when purchasing.

And the feedback thing is a non-issue - Ive had people leave erroneous feedback, label me a buyer when i was a seller, leave feedback 1 minute after purchasing, etc.

Dave

Well, there's good news and bad news.

The bad news is that the game was a reseal. I'm not sure if that means there was no game inside, but the game is definately resealed. I'm sitting here looking at 4 zero missions, and they all have horzontial seams on the back, as well as seams on the two sides, not the top or bottom. Where did you get the game? I've actually seen similar reseal jobs done at Toys R Us - I noticed some Gradius V with bad shrinkwrap and they said they resealed them because the person only returned them because their ps2 couldnt read blue discs.

The good news is that you are in pretty good shape if you printed out your label via paypal. You have lots of pictures which are clear. I'm weighing a zero mission, which is 2.8 ounces, so if you inputted the weight with paypal it might make a difference.

Personally, I'd have him return the stuff and refund his money, and check your items more carefully when purchasing.

And the feedback thing is a non-issue - Ive had people leave erroneous feedback, label me a buyer when i was a seller, leave feedback 1 minute after purchasing, etc.

Dave

Looks to me like he got the game, beat it and got bored and is not trying to get his money back.

Not sure what the best thing you could do is. I would probably tell him to contact Nintendo and tell them that he bought the game(leave out where he bought it unless asked directly), and see what happens from there.

I dont think he is trying to rip you off at all.

As CAGs we all, at one point or another, have had a sealed game we did not open as soon as we recieved. I myself have plenty of sealed games which i plan to play, but have no intention of opening until i will play it.

Also, I bought a cd before new and it had no CD inside of it when i went home. Its happend to other customers in all forms of media when i worked in retail.

These things just happen, im guessing it was either stolen/resealed or just a mistake and not put inside in the first place.

I think I believe the buyer after seeing the pictures. I would refund in full and not even ask for the game case back. It is under $20 with shipping and the shrink wrap looks non factory......

bread's done
Back