buyer gave me wrong address...am i going to get effed?

thatstoobad

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
as the title implies, someone bought a game from me on ebay, paid through paypal, and then i shipped the game. as always, i got delivery confirmation for the item. then today i get an email stating that the address provided in the paypal email was an old one....ooops! interesting thing is that according to the tracking number, the game was delivered earlier today. anyways, now this loser has contacted paypal, and now i'm not sure if i am going to get screwed out of my money. i don't really care if the buyer is trying to rip me off or if it was an honest mistake, because either way i'm out the money if paypal does a chargeback.

does anyone have any experience with this type of situation? i'm pretty sure that since i have a tracking number that i'm pretty ok in the situation, but at the same time i know paypal isn't exactly shy about issuing refunds either. but the notion that i should be the one held responsible for receiving the wrong mailing address from the buyer is ridiculous.

Now that's a new one! I've never heard of anything like that happening. I don't think anything could be done to you unless you get the item back.

That sux big time man, but it does sound like a scam. Did you send him the tracking number, and contact him before you sent the item???
Because if he didnt say anything until after all of that then it is his fault. 100% but I dunno how PayPal will look at this, but it does suck if they take the money back

If you can prove it was delivered to the address you sent it to, and that he admitted giving you the wrong address in the first place, you should be OK. I dont know much about paypal though, If they do a chargeback, things will get more difficult. You may want to contact paypal and explain the issue with them

good luck

Was the address in the e-mail confirmed? If so you shouldn't have a problem unless the buyer does a credit card chargeback not through Paypal

Actually if its a recent old address the post office might simply redirect it to his new address, but he must have filled out a change of address slip before he moved and it must have been a move in the last couple of months.

Man what a dick. "Sorry dude I gave you the wrong address and you had the nerve to mail my item promptly so by the time my lazy ass noticed and told you about it the game already shipped. Of course, I'll be trying to get my money back now."

Who needs that freaking stress?

[quote name='YoshiFan1']Was the address in the e-mail confirmed? If so you shouldn't have a problem unless the buyer does a credit card chargeback not through Paypal[/quote]

Even if they do a CC charge back PayPal won't pass it through to you if the transaction qualified for seller protection, right?

I am almost sure it only applies to Paypal chargebacks. I have heard stories where buyers did CC chargeback, even if the seller followed the instructions for seller protection (confirmed address, delivery confirmation), they still got the money taken out of the account. From what I understand, when a CC chargeback occurs, Paypal doesn't fight for the seller and just takes the money out.

didn't read everything but you sent first class? takes about 4 days how did he just now notice?

what a scam I just sent paypal yesterday and right before you click SEND it has an option to click the address you want or click no address provided etc, how could you miss that? How could you forgot you just had moved?

Also if he has bought anything else off ebay look at his feedback and see when it was left and if it was left like 2 days before contact the person who left the feedback if they were the seller and ask what address they sent it to

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I am almost sure it only applies to Paypal chargebacks. I have heard stories where buyers did CC chargeback, even if the seller followed the instructions for seller protection (confirmed address, delivery confirmation), they still got the money taken out of the account. From what I understand, when a CC chargeback occurs, Paypal doesn't fight for the seller and just takes the money out.[/quote]

That is good to know. Wouldn't surprise me. Both PayPal and eBay (same company now of course) seem to have some carefully worded policies to basically make you think one thing when it's really another.

And Paypal wouldn't even want to give the buyer the idea that the buyer has the ability to do a chargeback through their CC so they would never put it on the website.

thanks to all who responded with advice, thoughts and whatnot.

here's a little update: apparently i kind of misunderstood what the buyer was trying to do through paypal. supposedly he doesn't want a refund, but he actually is filing a claim with the intentions of paypal refunding me the cost of shipping, because he expects (or at least is hoping for) the package to end up back to my house. his logic is that he updated his address, yet paypal sent the old address in the confirmation emails and the transaction details on the website. now, the problem here is that i believe he filed a normal claim with paypal, because i don't really know if it's possible to do what he is intending. either way, i told him i would just prefer it if he dropped the whole issue with paypal and that i would pay for the cost of shipping the item again myself, just so i don't have to worry about paypal acting nutty about it. i don't know, we'll see what happens i guess.

bread's done
Back